[Resolved] Sears / product warranty

1 United States

I purchased a plasma TV from Sears 1 year and 1 month ago and paid over $2000. At the time of purchase I was offered an Extended Warranty and was promised by the sales rep that if anything went wrong with the TV, they would immediately repair or replace it. I paid $349 for the Warranty.

About 1 month ago my TV stopped turning on so I called Sears for repair on September 3, 2010. They said the first available rep would not be available until September 14, 2010. On the morning of the 14th, I went to work and the rep showed up at my house. My wife was waiting for him. I get a call from my wife stating that the Rep came alone and he needed me to come back home from work and help him take the TV off the stand. SEARS NEVER TOLD ME THE TV HAD TO BE OFF THE STAND.

The rep told us he needed to order a part and when the part came he would come back to install it. He said he could not come back until September 28, 2010. That is 25 days from the date of my initial call to Sears.

I was frustrated and I called Sears the same day and they told me that there is nothing I can do but wait. They said that the Warranty Agreement stated that they had 21 days from the date of the order for the part to replace my TV. I said ok we will wait until the 28th of September for the repair guy to return and install the part.

Today is the 28th of September. I did not go to work to help the guy put the TV on the stand after he fixes it. However, rather than the repair guy showing up, I got a call from Sears stating that the part is on back order and they cannot tell me when they will have the part.

I asked them to replace the TV since it has been 25 days since my initial call. They stated that the Warranty Agreement states that they have "30" days from the date of the order of the part to replace the TV. This is 9 more days then they initially told me. (first they said 21 days).

So I decided to ready through the Warranty Agreement and realized that the Agreement does not say anything about the number of days they have to repair or replace the TV. However, the rep who sold me the Warranty said that it was immediate repair or replacement if they could not tell repair the TV.

Next I called the Warranty department to ask them where in the Agreement they could show me they had 30 days or 21 days and I was told that it was not in the Agreement but rather some policy they had created. Huh?

So I was told that I now have to wait until October 15 to get a new TV. That is 43 days from my initial call on September 3, 2010.

I WILL NEVER BUY A WARRANTY FROM SEARS AGAIN AND I MAY NEVER SHOP THEIR AGAIN.

Customer support at Sears has been very unsupportive and unprofessional. My last call I was told there was nothing I could do and that I should find myself a lawyer if I needed to dispute this any further by a rep named Nathan.

• Resolution statement

• Sears Brands Customer Care's Response, Sep 30, 2010

Dear RogerisAngry,

My name is Scott and I'm with Sears Cares Escalations within corporate. I definitely understand the frustration and disappointment, not to mention inconvenience, you've endured through your TV repair. I'm sorry to hear of the conflicting information you've received from our repair and service contract departments as well. I'd also like to apologize for the conflicting and different information concerning repair time frames for repairing vs. replacing an item under an extended warranty. I'd like to help clarify some information for you and extend an offer of assistance & resolution. You are correct, there is no statement in the warranty agreement (I'm assuming you have what is called a Master Protection Agreement) specifying an amount of time in which we have to repair an item. The MPA contract is a generic contract designed to cover any of our items eligible for coverage. As the contract states, there are two (2) ways a replacement will take place under MPA coverage; 1) An item is deemed unrepairable due to repair not being possible or by part availability (parts being NO LONGER available), and 2) A covered item suffers four (4) part failures within one twelve (12) month period. In other words, Sears can and will move forward with repair for an unspecified time frame even with a delay in parts because the item is still repairable. However, for customer satisfaction, Sears can authorize replacements for items on a case by case basis that have been under ongoing repair due to technician attempts or part delays.
    Given this information, we'd like to help reach resolution with you. At your convenience please contact my office via email at searscares@searshc.com so that we can assist with resolving this issue. Please provide us a contact number and the phone number the TV was purchased under and we will call you at your convenience. In addition, include your screen name (RogerisAngry) in the email so we can reference to your case.

Scott J.