Sam's Club Travel / Poorly Trained Customer Service

In June of 2008, I book a vacation package through Sam’s club travel from Washington DC to Ft Myers Florida. As part of the package I purchased the travel protection. Unfortunately, Tropical Storm Fay was bearing down on the southwestern coast of Florida the day I was to arrive. The airlines cancelled the flight the day before but I was able to reschedule the flight with no problems. Next I contacted the hotel to change my travel. According to the clerk at the hotel, there were still rooms available that matched my room description and I was told yes but to contact the booking agent to change my reservation. The problem I encountered was Sam’s Club travel staff. I spent almost three hours on the phone with various staff people and most of that time I was on hold trying to change my reservation. I am convinced that placing customers on hold it a tactic and is extremely aggravating. They were able to change the reservation but not without is costing me additional cash for which I should not have been charged due to the fact the circumstances were completely out of my control due to weather. Their system did not show the same room description available even though I relayed what the hotel staff had explained to me earlier. The staff was unwilling to contact the hotel directly to inquiry whether the fees could be waived. Their attitude was “too bad” either pay the additional monies or cancelled! As a last resort, I tried to book the hotel directly but given the short notice the cost was outrageous. In the end I was forced to incur additional costs because your policies and staff were not flexible enough to accommodate unforeseen events like weather. The whole situation was unfortunate and has left a sour taste in my mouth. I will never make travel plans through them again.

Va

More Sam's Club Travel Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Ma
  13th of Aug, 2009

Sam's Club Travel = Expedia. Will never use them again.

There really is no Sam's Club Travel apparently. We learned this recently when we were getting ready to sail on a family cruise and discovered that one of the two rooms we had booked through Sam's Club Travel had been cancelled. No notification, no explanation as to how half a reservation can simply be cancelled.

Although the problem was "resolved" literally a few hours before the cruise departed - no thanks to Carnival who flatly stated, "Call your travel agent. We are sold out and have no solution for you." - we ended up $570 out of pocket to fix someone else's mistake. We were pretty much forced to accept any offer as my husband and two sons were booked in a cabin (and paid); and myself and my daughter were going to be stuck in San Diego (we are from Florida) for a week while the rest of the family cruised. (Interesting question: Why did Expedia find a cabin, but Carnival didn't?)

We still don't know if the mistake was on Expedia's side or Carnival's side or somewhere in between the two. Our reservation wasn't made via Internet, but was made on the phone w/Expedia (aka Sam's Club Travel) agent who was also coordinating via phone with Carnival since we needed our two cabins to be close together. We paid in full while on the phone making this reservation - or so we thought.

As it was, our cabins were on opposite sides of the ship; there is no real explanation yet of how it happened that half of our reservation was successfully paid and the other half left unpaid and cancelled. And no real explanation as to why we were NEVER notified of this.

Never again. Not Sam's Club Travel. Not Expedia. Not Carnival or any sister ships. There are way too many other vacation options than to have to put up with companies who have forgotten that the customer is important and should be treated as such.