Rogers Wireless / service

1 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Review updated:

On Fri. Nov 8/08, as the final month of our 3 year contract approached, my spouse contacted Rogers to renew our contract and to actually order two new cell phones. After being told we were considered excellant customers based on our three year history, the deal was made, and charges were calculated. No word from the rep regarding when the final payment for the new phones was due.
Today, Wed., Nov 12/08, after yesterday's day of morning, I attempted to use my cell phone. My call was directed to Rogers customer service, where I was informed that charges on my account were over the limit, and therefore, our service had been suspended.
After bouncing between billing and customer service for approx. 1 - 1 1/2 hours, we determined we were over our limit because of the new phones we had purchased, but not yet received. Furthermore, despite our history and the fact that we still had a month on our current contract, nothing could be done to reinstate service until payment had been received.
Know what they can do with their service? And, where else do I write.

Comments

Mi
  12th of Jul, 2009

I had a similar experience with the Rogers Wireless store in Kildonan Place mall. An employee there said I could upgrade my phone for $75.00 and my boyfriend could get a new phone for $250.00. We had no intention of spending $325.00 that day though, so we declined the offer.

Now here's where it gets interesting - the store manager then told us that he could arrange for us to get both phones that day without making an immediate payment. He assured us that the hardware costs of ~$325.00 would be set up on a separate "hardware upgrade plan", to be paid off over a six month period. He entered the information for the new hardware into their system and told us we would receive the payment plan information with our next monthly statement. We left the store as happy customers.

Next month when we received our statement we were enraged soon-to-be-former-customers...

The balance due showed our regular monthly fees, PLUS the $325.00 whole hardware cost, PLUS a "hardware upgrade" fee of $40.00! Our total bill for that month was over $600.00!! When I spoke with a customer service rep, I was told that they had no such "hardware upgrade plan" and that we were obviously mistaken. Rather than believe that their store had intentionally mislead their customers or, in the very least, offer some kind of remedy to the problem, they simply demanded the full amount be paid by the next month. Failure to make the full payment would result in the suspension of our service.

We paid them their money and immediately cancelled our service with them. $400.00 early cancellation and all.

Horrible company.