Reliance / incorrect cashing of check

1 20-200 Banbury Rd London, ON N5Z 4R9London, Ontario, Canada

My name is Suzanne MacLean, I am the Property Manager for Forest City Housing located at 200 Banbury Rd London, ON.

On December 1, 2018, I produced checks for our Board of Directors to sign. One of the payments I processed was for London Hydro in the amount of $3330.32. All paperwork was completed in the name of London Hydro, the payment was entered into our system under London Hydro.

Unfortunately, when I actually wrote out the check I made it payable to Reliance in error. Please note we have never been in arrears in the amount of $3330.32 with Reliance.

Furthermore, I attached an internal overview of the account numbers we were paying and the amounts that totaled $3330.32. This has always been the procedure.

Reliance received the check in error and rather than call my office to advise of the payment or email they cashed the check into their account. Today I received a call
from a representative of Reliance advising of the error on their part.

I then asked about our refund. The answer I got was sketchy at best. Yes, there would be one but the lady who called me had to "hand this off" to another party whose name she couldn't give me. At no time did she commit to returning the total amount that was deposited by Reliance.

I find this practice on Reliance's part, unethical and just wrong. They were well aware that the account numbers attached to the check were not theirs, but went ahead and deposited the check.

Reliance