Priceline.com / hotel cancellation

1 800 Connecticut AveNorwalk, United States Review updated:

Priceline refuses to refund money if you cancel your reservation and do ot collect the information they want about the cancellation call. You must have the name of the person you spoke to and the "department" they are in. They call and verifiy with the hotel. The fact that you did not stay there (which is all most hotels track - (check in or no check in) is not good enough. So in other words - the clerk you spoke to will have to remeber that she spoke top you - or you will need to remember their name. I even have a phone record that shows the time and date I called the hotel to cancel and several winesses!! But yet they both claim there was no cancellation call.

They owe me $189.99 for a room reservation I cancelled and did not use. They refuse to refund my money. In my opinion this is fraudulent. 1. They are charging for services they did not render while they (and the hotel) lie to keep your money. 2. Unless you can prove you called and cancelled they will asume you didn't call. Burden of proof is onyou. 3. They will conspire with the hotel to keep your money by making you call back and forth while one blames the other for the mistake, so that you can't even tell who you should be going after to get your money legally. 4. They registered and paid for my room under my name - using their address - without my permission.

Bottomline don't deal with Priceline or keep very good records and record your phone calls. I plan to take this to court if I must. $190 is a lot of money to me - not to them

Comments

• Su
      7th of Feb, 2009

I work for a hotel and get these complaints occasionally. The way this works: Third party companies, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, etc list hotels on their websites. You go into the site and choose a hotel to book it. Usually the lowest price for one person is on the front page and as you enter further it will show the extra person(s) charges along with any fees and taxes and a total. It clearly states before you book the room that there are some major restrictions to cancellations and changes. Once you book the room, the reservation is sent to the hotel and the hotel is given the third parties information, not yours. Only your name and preferred room type (never gtd...you could get one bed for 4 people) is sent to the hotel. Your address and credit card info is kept by the third party company. The hotel in turn bills either a credit card given to them by the third party company (not yours) or direct bills them. The hotel only gets a portion of the amount you are chargesd. The third party companies keep a portion and all service fees they may charge. It never does any good to contact the htoel to cancel or dispute because they are not the one that has charged you. The third party company is. Hotels in general would prefer not to use these companies but because so many people booking rooms use them, they have no choice or they would loose a lot of business.