Having problems with Travelzoo?

Travelzoo reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Apr 26, 2011. The latest review Trip for to to machu picchu was posted on Aug 18, 2021. The latest complaint Trip for to to machu picchu was resolved on Aug 18, 2021. Travelzoo has an average consumer rating of 5 stars from 42 reviews. Travelzoo has resolved 39 complaints.

Travelzoo Customer Service Contacts

+1 877 665 0000 (United States, Vouchers)
+1 877 966 0000 (United States, Hotel Bookings)
+44 203 564 3000 (United Kingdom, Vouchers)
+44 203 564 9000 (United Kingdom, Hotel Bookings)
+61 280 989 198 (Australia)
+49 695 170 9000 (Germany, Vouchers)
+49 693 8079 1000 (Germany, Hotel Bookings)
+852 22 197 200 (Hong Kong & Taiwan)
+65 31 080 601 (Singapore)
590 Madison Avenue, 37th Floor
New York, New York

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Travelzoo Customer Service. Initial Travelzoo complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Travelzoo above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Travelzoo. Discuss the issues you have had with Travelzoo and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Travelzoo Complaints & Reviews

TravelzooTrip for to to machu picchu

Last Oct. 2020, I purchased for two a trip to Machu Picchu in Peru. I was not told about any need for a visa (found to be not required) or any type of needed vaccinations. Upon researching, I found that yellow fever, malaria, typhoid types of vaccinations were required. My wife is not able to get those types of vaccines, so I tried today to cancel the trip. They, UTO, claims that it is not there policy to refund money collected, but offer the cost of the trip as a voucher (good for 30 months) for a future trip. I find this unacceptable and would like to know if you can assist me in recovering the cost of the trip. The trip was a total of $1796.00 of which $99 (X2) was trip insurance. would never had purchased this type of trip knowingly, if I new of the vaccines required. I think that the agent either TravelZoo or UTO would have included this in the advertisement before one would purchase this trip. Thank You, Clark Froelich [protected]@sbcglobal.net

• Travelzoo's response · Aug 26, 2021

Hello Clark,

I apologize for the delay in our response. I'm sorry to hear that this heppened. If you have not already, please contact Travelzoo Customer Support at [protected] or email us at [email protected] with the purchase details.

Amanda

Feb 04, 2020

Travelzoo — Trip to cambodia/vietnam

We have a trip with Exoticca to Cambodia/Vietnam in March of this year purchased through TravelZoo. Early on...

Nov 13, 2019

Travelzoo — hotel & food

The hotel were not interested in our complaints - that is the biggest issue. The room has a sink that fill...

Oct 25, 2019

Travelzoo — sold to us as a 5 star category hotel - definitely not

Between the 16th - 20th October we booked this hotel, 2 rooms 2 couples, room 223 and 227. I need to point...

Oct 16, 2019

Travelzoo — my details including bank details have been sent to another address and email address

RE TRAVELZOO booking Number [protected] booked through Alexander Ruiz (not trying to get him in trouble ; I need...

Oct 09, 2019

Travelzoo — poor communication

We recently booked a trip on the tenterden railway with an afternoon cream tea onboard, this was a day out...

Travelzoohotel

Booking Number [protected]

7 NIghts at Longevity and Wellness Hotel

from Birmingham -Faro/Algarve

31.08.19-07.09.19

Tour Operator
    Holidays .ch GmbH

Dear Sirs
    we wish to make a formal complaint with regards to the above booking.
    Upon arrival at the hotel we discovered that a majority of the facilities of the hotel
    The swimming pool and Spa were not open and there were a number of unfinished areas in the interior and exterior of the hotel.
    This was totally unsatisfactory and we complained to the duty manager.
    We were offered an alternative hotel but decided this too was not suitable.
    We found an alternative hotel ourselves and after waiting many hours for the administration to be sorted out got transferred to Hotel Pestana Villa Sol in Vilamoura.
    Arriving there on Sunday evening 01/09/19 We had lost a day and half of our holiday in this process.We also have transfer costs from the Longevity and Pestana totalling some 130 Euros
    I hope you will agree that is totally unsatisfactory as we had confirmed with numerous emails between ourselves and the hotel and Travel zoo that everything would be ready in time for our arrival on the 31.08.19.
    It was not .
    Clearly we weren't the only guests who were dissatisfied after seeing a number of other guests leaving due to the lack of readiness of the hotel.
    We seek some form of compensation for the disgraceful state of the hotel.Especially after we were told it was all ready.
    We await your reply

Regards

Claire Bamforth & Guy Downer

• Travelzoo's response · Sep 22, 2019

Dear Valued Members,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We are disappointed to hear you had a less than perfect experience. We will be sure to share your feedback with our partner.

If you need further assistance with this purchase, please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Service Team directly at [protected], or email us at [email protected]

Kind regards,
        Julia

Aug 28, 2019

Travelzoo — unorganized poorly run company - disappointed travelzoo would offer a deal from them

BUYER BEWARE! UTO is an unorganized company that is unable to provide accurate information. We booked our...

Travelzoohotel booking

The price of the hotel advertised as a discount is well above the normal price online. I called for a refund moments after booking and was told I was not eligible. These advertised deals are misleading and take away from the good reputation of the hotel. I would like a refund in full so I may book direct. The hotel also does not penalize for canacelation up to 24 hours prior so why the no refund policy?

• Travelzoo's response · Jul 01, 2019

Hello,

We are very sorry for the recent experience you had when booking a hotel with Travelzoo.

We would be happy to review your inquiries further if you can please reach out to Customer Service at [protected]. Available Mon-Sun 9 A.M. - 9 P.M. ET.

We hope to hear from you soon.

May 03, 2019

Travelzoo — incorrect booking due to their error and their refusal to change or full refund

Help me please. Exoticca have made a hash of our booking and now we are stuck. On 26 April I responded to...

Apr 12, 2019

Travelzoo — cancelled break. reservation [protected] booked 09 april 2019

Dear Sir/Madam, I am writing regarding a recent incident. I booked a 2 night break for me and my partner...

Travelzoouto vacations

I booked a tour from Los Angeles to Japan on UTO vacations. I received my itinerary and learned my flight to Japan would be 18 hours long. It is only a 11.5 hour flight to Japan. The tour company booked us on Air China, making fly 14 hours to China, flying past Japan, then making us pick up our luggage, go through customs in China and then taking a flight to Japan, reversing back to the direction we just came from. If that's not bad enough, they changed our flight a few hours before to an earlier, making me leave my job early and loss of income subsequently. Honestly, I would not recommend this tour company to anyone. Who wants to fly 18 hours when only 11.5 is required. We lost a whole day. What a nightmare!

• Travelzoo's response · Mar 06, 2019

Hello Linda,

We're so sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience with UTO Vacations. We take our members feedback very seriously and will be sure to share it with our team. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact our Customer Support Team at [protected]. Agents are available Mon-Sun from 9am-9pm ET.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being a Travelzoo member.

Sincerely,

• He
            Helen Harpel Feb 22, 2020

My husband and I were scheduled to go on a 10-day UTO tour to Thailand leaving on February 15, 2020. We had paid in full 6 months in advance, per UTO's requirement.

On February 3, 2020 UTO sent us this email:

We would like to update you about your tour, as well as obtaining a consensus from you if we should continue to have this tour.

Recently we have received a couple of customers' phone calls/emails inquiring about this tour to Thailand if it's going to be impacted by the CoronaVirus situation.

Please note that we still plan to operate this tour, however we would like you to feel comfortable to go on this tour.

Therefore we are opening up this choice to all of you with the following 2 options:

(1) remain going on this tour

(2) choose not going to this tour

For option (2), refund to you will be 70% of your tour price.

On February 4, 2020 we responded with #1, that we still planned to go on the tour.

On February 7, 2020 UTO sent us another email:

We would like to let you know the conclusion of the consensus from the group, there are only 5 people choose option 1.

Therefore the tour will be a no go, sorry.

We will as indicated in our email, to refund:

tipping : full refund
            tour price: 70% refund to you

On February 10, 2020 we sent an email to UTO that we expected 100% reimbursement, as it was the company that had canceled the tour, not us.

On February 14, 2020 UTO responded that they are unable to give us a full refund, saying this:

"...expenses have incurred, airlines, hotels and transportation. We paid deposit, some in full because of the dates are very close to the departure date.

We actually could have not done the initiative to contact our clients and just make the tour to go, and any customer who is not showing up, and choose not to go the last minute, 100% penalty will be incurred. We did not do that.

Therefore, we hope you can understand we are deducting the 30% is the minimal coverage of our damage."

We are insulted, to say the least. UTO's own policy states that if the company cancels a tour due to low numbers, reimbursement will be at 100%. UTO canceled this tour just one week before the departure date--we did not.

On February 17, 2020 we responded to UTO that we would accept nothing less than 100% reimbursement of our money.

On February 21, 2020 we had not yet heard back from UTO and so sent another email inquiring when we could expect to receive our full 100% reimbursement.

On February 21, 2020 UTO responded, yet again, that they would not refund 100%, rather they offered us this:

"Can we offer you the following options:

1) we refund you 80% of your tour price + full refund of tipping

2) you can use your credit on this booking - 2938 to rebook another tour on our website, such as Germs of Thailand, or Central Europe tour in the future date."

Today, February 22, 2020 we responded to UTO:

No, I will not accept either of the two options you offer. I will only accept at least 100% refund of the money I have paid to UTO. Your own policy 1.0 states:

1.0 Cancellation policy
            UTO vacation reserves the right to cancel or modify any tour prior to departure date if the group has less than 10 passengers. Alternative departure date will be offered for no extra charge or a full refund will be issued.

UTO has not yet responded to our most recent email to them. This is completely unprofessional and unacceptable.

Additionally, UTO's proposal was to reimburse us at 70% which would be a loss to us of nearly $800 (for 2 of us). If they originally had, say at least 60 people in the tour group, their proposed withholding of 30% from each of the participants (just an estimation based on what we paid), would amount to somewhere around $24, 000, at least. Again, that's just a guesstimate, and frankly that's not really even the point here. Some participants made the personal decision themselves to not go on this tour; we made the personal decision to continue on this tour--UTO decided for us that the tour would be canceled and, per their own policy, we are owed 100% refund.

We have wasted our time on this ridiculous back-and-forth correspondence with UTO when a full 100% reimbursement of our money should have NEVER even been a question.

Are their other confirmed participants in this UTO Thailand tour that are battling the same with them?

• Ab
            Abwooli Dec 17, 2019

I just finished a 10-day China tour with UTO. For people who have never visited China and/or do not speak Chinese, this was a great option. The tour schedule is INFLEXIBLE, so nobody should plan on doing their own activities. BUT the planned activities were exactly what most people want to see: Forbidden City, the Great Wall, pearl factory, jade factory, embroidery factory, tea estate, Shanghai, acrobat show, river trips in ancient towns, Shanghai skyline at night and a few stops in lovely rural places. The guides were all friendly, knowledgeable and spoke excellent English. So for people who haven't seen these sights before, the trip is excellent.

My only complaints were that there was little/no accommodation for people with disabilities...lots of steps, including into the bus, without any obvious plan for helping people out. On our tour there was a guy in a wheelchair and 2 people with walkers/canes who were assisted by fellow travelers rather than the tour or the site.
            The other issue was that the VERY FANCY and comfortable hotels were too far out of the centers of the towns for us to go out at night. And because they were so far, we often did not get back to the hotel until 7pm or later and had to leave fairly ( or very) early.

The government shops at the various factories were hard sell, but many people wanted to buy the merchandise so it was fine to visit all these places.

If you can accept the strict schedule, the distance from town of the luxury hotels and can get up and down stairs ok, then I highly recommend this tour.

Feb 07, 2019

Travelzoo — spa day

Went on a spa day at this hotel following using facilities and treatment there was no where to relax. All...

Travelzoo — https://www.travelzoo.com/uk/holidays/africa-middle-east/-149pp-marrakesh-all-inc-break-with-flights-save-54--2683921/?ec=1

Marrakesh 4 night stay @...

Travelzootravel agency

Sinorama Travel Agency, located in British Columbia has recently had their license revoked!! The Consumer Protection Agency from BC contacted every person affected. After booking travel last December to travel this November, we find out that it is all cancelled and we have to try and get our money back! This is terrible!!
          Travelzoo should investigate further into agencies listed prior to listing!!

• Travelzoo's response · Sep 02, 2018

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear that your vacation/trip has been affected by this issue. I know that Ontario’s travel regulator (Tico) is offering protections for travelers affected by this. That info can be found at www.tico.ca. There are multiple options that one can choose to pursue through Tico and I’m not sure what will work best for you. I recommend that you review the details, so you can decide what option you want to choose. I can confirm that this is a first for us as well and we understand the impact it is having on our members. We hope that these steps will help and you can continue to enjoy our Travelzoo deals.

TICO Link: https://www.tico.ca/news/advisory/290-aug-7-18-important-information-about-sinorama-forconsumers.
              html

TICO Contact Info:
              Email: [email protected]
              Phone: [protected] or [protected]

Administrator of Sinorama Contact Details: Mrs. Martine Mainville
              Email: [email protected]
              Phone: [protected]

Additional Information: https://www.pwc.com/ca/en/services/insolvency-assignments/vacances-sinorama-inc.html

I hope this helps and thank you for being a member.

The Travelzoo Team

Travelzoo — waste of time, dishonest fleetway travel does not honor online booking requests

Don't waste your time trying to find and actually book travel deals through Fleetway Travel company. My...

Travelzoo — waste of time. travelzoo partners with questionable vendor, fleetway travel

Don't waste your time trying to find and actually book travel deals through this company. For over a decade...

Travelzoo — deal that I found on travelzoo

Here is the deal I found in March, of course the link no longer works, but the title says it all...10 day...

Aurora

Travelzoodining voucher for brio tuscany grille in laguna niguel ca

I bought a Travelzoo voucher at Brio for my son and his wife's 12th anniversary. I spent $69 on the voucher, which stated it had a value of $98.90. The voucher clearly stated they would receive starter or salad up to $16.95 to share, 2 entrees up to $29.95 each, 1 dessert up to $9.95 to share and 2 nonalcoholic drinks to up $6 each. This could not be further from the truth!

They ordered their appetizer, drinks, and entrees and notified the waitress that they had the voucher. Three minutes later, their waitress told them they weren't allowed to order off of the regular menu, and they had a special travelzoo menu with extremely limited selections. They were completely caught off guard. My daughter in law asked the waitress if She could have their fettuccine alfredo even though it wasn't on the special Travelzoo menu. She said that she couldn't. She really didn't see anything She liked on the Travelzoo menu, but had no choice so ordered a chicken dinner. They were scared to complain at that time for fear that their food would be tampered with.

The food was ok - chicken was dry and didn't eat most of it. During their dinner, they also had to witness a patron at the bar who clearly had had too much to drink grope the hostess and spout profanities to another patron. The hostess was clearly embarrassed for his behavior because she apologized to my kids for the disruption.

When they got the bill at the end of their dinner, they decided it was not the right time to complain because the restaurant was very crowded with some large parties.

I went to the restaurant the next day to discuss the situation. I was told the owner would call me back. No call for 3 days, so I called the restaurant and was told the same thing. It's now been over a week and we still have not gotten a call back from the owner to discuss.

Not only did the meal they were allowed to order not add up to the promotional value of $98.90 - it didn't even come close the the $69 that I paid for the voucher. This is completely illegal to not allow a patron to order what is clearly stated on the voucher, but it is also completely unethical. What should have been a happy occasion for them to celebrate 12 years of marriage turned into a very frustrating experience. And clearly Brio's owner does not consider customer service a top priority, due to the fact that he lies on his Travelzoo voucher promotion, limits the food options to 6 items (none of them pasta - is this not an Italian restaurant?), and by blatantly ignoring my requests to discuss this situation.

My family and I will never go back to this restaurant. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!
            I would like my money back!

• Travelzoo's response · Jul 31, 2018

Hello Anne,

We are very sorry to hear about your gift purchase for your son and daughter in law and their experience with Brio Tuscany Grille. This is not the kind of experience we want our members or their gift recipients to have. We would like to further discuss this with you. Please either reach out to us by phone at [protected] as we are available 9 am - 12 midnight daily EST or by email at [email protected]

The Travelzoo Team

Travelzoo — travel agency advertised egypt tour on travelzoo

Hello. Through travelzoo top20, I booked the egypt tour starting may 27th called "best of egypt...

Toronto