Portfolio Recovery Associates / scam

I checked my credit report to find PRA listed with a bill of 18, 538.00, I called them and explained I have no knowledge of this account, they stated I lived in the Bronx and this was my property. I asked for proof of this account they directed me to FTC to dispute this claim because they already sent forms to me 3 times, I told them where did you send these forms because I never received anything... well to make a long story short I'm stll trying to get to the bottom of this. Any suggestions as how to resolve this???

Comments

• Mi
      1st of Feb, 2011

this company is nothing more than a bully that tries to scare people into paying old or non exisitent debts becasue they bought your account or someones account and trying to scare you to pay this. and it works for them a good bit of time. But remember they cannot provide proof. They never seem to be able to, thats your first clue. they say they send out forms for you to sign, Don't, you could be signing something you dont want too. which in some cases can reset your debt time and put it back on your credit report. so dont sign anything. ever unless an attorney tells you too. also dont panic, play with them on the phone. Have a little fun. they ask you personal questions so I ask them personal questions back lol. I tell them I will play their game, but only if they answer my off the wall questions lol. These debt collectors are flunky overpaid workers that couldnt find another job, *who the heck would take a job where you get cussed out constantly lol* Portfolio cannot do anything to you without a court order so make them take you to court and lets see what the judge says when they cannot provide proof. Even if they made it that far you can always tell the judge that they never provided you with any type of paperwork or proof. to seal the deal put it in writing and send them a certified letter stating you never recieved proof of the debt.