Menu
Portfolio Recovery Associates
reviews & complaints

Portfolio Recovery Associates
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

104 complaints
57 resolved 47 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Portfolio Recovery Associates. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
10:00 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Portfolio Recovery Associates calls me at least once a day, most often from different phone numbers. I have no debt that is current, so I know they have no legal basis to call me. The calls come from 7 a.m. until after 9 p.m. They never leave a message, and if you answer, most often nobody is on the other end unless you wait several second...

P
9:00 pm EDT

Portfolio Recovery Associates - Portfolio Recovery Associates' Information

For information purposes only. Consumers with concerns regarding Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC can contact Portfolio Recovery Associates via our web site at www.praresolutioncenter.com, call and speak with one of our quality service specialists toll-free at 1-866-925-7109 or send us an e-mail at [email protected] Quality service specialists are on staff to assist between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday EST.

8:50 pm EDT

Portfolio Recovery Associates - Lawyer - Identity

Being harassed by Portfolio Recovery Associates for a card I never had. Told their lawyer, Kristen Mantyla that. She won't investigate. Bit confused about her. Does she work for Portfolio (in-house) or is she their lawyer and Portfolio is her client? I got legal papers from her which says that her law firm is Portfolio at an address in Manhattan but when I checked her lawyer registration on-line it said that her office was in Norfolk, Virginia?

A
8:47 pm EDT

Portfolio Recovery Associates - Every time I ask questions they threaten to take me to court, and feel more threatened than worked with

Porfolio REcovery contacted my home, reference, credit card from 1997 Visa account, now $15000 (VISA). The lowest payment they are willing to receive is $215.00 per month via checking account. They provided no evidence of authenticity of account nor if the account did exist how they came up with such an astronomical balance. Every time I ask questions they threaten to take me to court, and feel more threatened than worked with. They threaten you (fear factor) more than they validate.

2 comments
Nov 07, 2013 7:47 pm EST

Portfolio Recovery Associates says they use specially designed software that helps them pinpoint the consumers who are worth the expense to pursue and go after them when the time is right. Sounds like a lion waiting to pounce on its victim and, in the case of PRA, that sounds about right. http://www.castlelaw.net/blog/are-you-receiving-harassing-calls-from-portfolio-recovery-associates-.cfm

Jun 15, 2011 3:04 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Sounds likely that this is a "zombie" debt - one that was long ago not collectable because the statute of limitations (SOL) has run. The SOL is a limited time period under contract law in which you may be sued on a credit card debt. That time period usually runs from the date of the last payment which you made on the account or the from when the card was last used. This time period varies from state to state but generally the longest statute of limitations on a credit card debt would be six years and is shorter in many states. Companies or individuals who are trying to collect on a debt and threatening to sue and which they have reason to believe is not enforceable in court due to that time period having expired are breaking the law and should be reported to the FTC and the Attorney General of the state you are a resident of.

J
9:51 pm EDT

Portfolio Recovery Associates - harassing telephone calls

This company is calling my home looking for someone else. When I told them that the person didn't live there, the company representative held the phone and repeatedly asked, "let me speak to (person)" over and over until I hung up the telephone. Unreal

Mar 25, 2013 4:30 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Under the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you don't have to run hoops to get Portfolio and similar ### to stop calling you. Section 806, subdivision 5 provides (effectively) that repeated unwanted calls where the recipient communicates that he doesn't want further calls is harassment. Moreover, local laws governing harassment apply.

Don't let anyone tell you that you need to send Portfolio registered letter. They don't deserve it. You don't have to send a registered letter to get ### to stop harassing you! Just tell them in no uncertain terms you don't want them to call.

If they continue (and they will) take police or civil action if you have the inclination; otherwise, HARASS THEM. Call them three times and scream at them for every nuisance call. Abuse them heartily. That seems to stop them. They can't complain about your harassing _them_, because if they don't want contact they shouldn't be calling.

Stephen R. Diamond

Jun 01, 2011 11:38 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Just let all calls go to voice mail.

Do not let it get you upset.

C
Jun 01, 2011 10:04 pm EDT

Record it and call 911...

I
6:03 pm EDT

Portfolio Recovery Associates - Digging 12 year old debt

Portfolio Recovery Associates starting calling my wife and I in 12/2008 in an attempt to collect on a debt from 11 or 12 years ago. I have since learned that this is a new tactic by the collection agencies to make money. This debt is referred to as 'zombie debt' because it is supposed to be dead and gone but has been unscrupulously been brought back to life. When my wife and I got married, the first thing I did was pay all her debt and clean up her credit report. She has had a 750 credit score for the last several years. Neither of us recognize the $1300 debt for a credit card that they are trying to collect. They sent us an odd from that requested all sorts of personal information so they could 'investigate the debt'. I don't trust this company so I'm not about to give this info.

5 comments
Jun 17, 2011 3:02 pm EDT

J
Feb 08, 2012 2:27 pm EST

I also am going through the very same, unfortunately capital doesn't want to do the right thing.They took a $259.00 dollar balance that was paid off, then turned it into a 1300.00 dollar balance, now keep in mind that this is from 2004.Give me a break, these scam artist need to be dealt with, they have threatened me as well, doesn't even show up on any of my credit reports, probably due to the fact that the balance was paid in full and the card destroyed, so now unfortunately I have to go through the hassle of hiring an attorney to protect myself from them.

Jul 21, 2011 9:17 pm EDT

CROOKS

Jul 21, 2011 9:16 pm EDT

I HAD A CREDIT CARD DEBT FROM 12 YRS AGO FOR 20 GRAND. 2 YEARS AGO SOME HOW THIS COMPANY GOT A HOLD OF THIS AND SAID IT IS NOW 44 GRAND CAUSE OF LATE FEES AND INTEREST.THEY HAVE GARNISHED MY WAGES TO THE TUNE OF 14 GRAND TAPPED MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AND I JUST GOT A LETTER SAYING IT HAS GONE TO 58 GRAND WITH THE NEW CHARGES AND THEY ALREADY HAVE 14 GRAND OF MY MONEY.THEY WERE RUDE AND MEAN ON PHONE TO ME TOTAL JERKS.I HAVE A ATTORNEY NOW AND ARE GOING AFTER THEM AND CONTACTING THE BBB.THIS COMPANY IS THE LOWEST OF LOW.THE BANKS ALL GOT BAILED OUT THAT WERE PAYING FOR AND THERE COMING AFTER ME FOR 58 GRAND.I LOST MY JOB 3YRS AGO AND TOOK A HUGE PAY CUT. WE JUST NOT TO LONG AGO ADOPTED A BABY GIRL AND THESE CROOKS ARE KILLING US FROM SOMETHING FROM 12 YRS AGO.

N
Jul 20, 2011 1:43 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am in a similar situation from the same company. The debt they're trying to collect dates back to the mid 1990's. I know the debt has been charged off and the statute of limitations has run out long ago. Yet they still call me from several different areas of the USA and use false names like Skyrocket Did. I have never answered a call from them and do not intend to. This "zombie debt" from what I can make of it is noncollectable. I have checked several web sites to confirm this. It seems like a game of who can hold their breath longer so far it's a tie but I intend on winning.

C
9:36 pm EDT

Portfolio Recovery Associates - Credit card / phone calls

I get 3 or more calls per day about a credit card they say I have. First thing, I have never owned a credit card and everything I own is paid off except my home and of course the Government. But anyways after talking with them about the card and stating that I have never had it, they pretty much called me a liar. I nicely asked them not to call and he stated they could call an x amount of times by law. So I said by "law I can come and whoop your ###". A young ### that wanted to piss me off, will now have every call answered and each one of his fellow workers will get the most ### hole phone call they will every receive. As a 3rd shift worker, I don't need someone calling my phone at 8:30 in the morning after I just went to sleep. These are very harassing people and I'm not the one they want to fool with. I have unlimited time on my phone so I am in the process of setting it up to call them everyday 5 or more times just to waste their time from calling other people. Hope you enjoy your job ### blowers.

V
5:57 pm EDT

Portfolio Recovery Associates - fraudulent debt collections

This is Portfolio Recovery & Associates. They are a collection agency that acquires old debts... sometimes 20 or more years old after the original debt has been charged off or sold to several other collection agencies who did not recover the money. A lot of the information is so old that PRA does not even know who the original financial institution was or if the debt was actually ever paid off or not. They simply use old outdated information, addresses and phone numbers to harass innocent individuals. I was even told at one point that they run random credit checks on people and simply start calling if they find someone who ever had a charge off or something like that in the far past. If you have a phone number or address that was ever owned by someone who ever owed money at some point and time or your name is in any way close to someone that they are looking for you can wind up on PRAs list and start getting harassed by them forever.
I have been getting calls from them almost every day of the week for over 6 months now... sometimes 2-3 times per day anywhere from 7:00 in the morning to 10:00 at night 7 days a week.
They are looking for someone else that I have never heard of and when I told them that I was not this person and that this person never lived here and that I had this phone number for over 15 years they called me a liar and hung up but continued calling again a couple of weeks later. One time they asked me to verify my name and address. I would not tell them but I asked them what name and address they had on record. They had an entirely different first and last name but the address was the same as mine. I have a P.O. box and when I told them that there were over 400 box holders for my address he said “son of a ###” and hung up. They recently called again and when I once again told them that I was not who they were looking for and to quit calling they asked me to verify my name again and when I would not they hung up again. The very next day they called back asking for me by my name. I guess they finally looked up my phone number and saw my name attached to it so they replaced my name for the person that they were originally looking for and added it to their collection database.
I have tried filing complaints with the do not call registry but with no results. The phone number on my caller ID is always different. I found out that they use a spoofing program to send out fake caller ID numbers so you can not report them to the do not call registry. Each and every time they call the caller ID shows up a different random number but the name is always the same... Portfolio Recovery Associates. The number that I entered on this complaint is their corporate number. They have two other numbers… a Virginia number of 1-757-519-9300 and a toll free number of 1-866-925-7109. Hopefully this will help as we all are wasting our time reporting them using the spoofed numbers that they randomly send out when they call.

It turns out that they use a spoofing program that sends out a random fake phone number to show up on your caller ID when they dial you so turning them into the do not call registry does not good as you are turning in someone else’s number. Even though the phone numbers are all different and fake… Portfolio Recovery Assoc always shows up on the caller ID.
I looked them up and got some more information from other sources and since they are using fake phone numbers when they call... the best thing that you can do is every time that they call you... file a complaint with the do not call registry using their corporate phone number 1-888-772-7326. This way you are supplying a real phone number for them when you file your complaint. Hopefully the do not call registry can do something about these people or at least be able to hand out fines to the proper people for harassing folks. The other alternative is to file a complaint with your local phone company and police dept. PRAs other two numbers are… 1-757-519-9300 for their regular office and 1-866-925-7109 for their customer complaints dept.

2 comments
Dec 21, 2012 2:40 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

For almost 2 YEARS I've been getting phone calls from Portfolio Recovery.
They would call 2, 3, 4 times a day, 7 days a week from several different phone numbers (all traceable back to them).
They would always - ALWAYS- get my answering machine and not once did they leave a message stating who they were, who they were looking to speak to, what their business was with the person they were calling, or what debt/company they were collecting for. NOT ONCE. So, I wouldn't ever call them back.
They just kept on calling.
Now, 2 yrs and some months later, they claim they got a 'judgment' against me, (I was never notified by mail or otherwise of this)
and have actually GARNISHED MONEY from my personal savings account! That is OUTRAGEOUS!
WTH! Can this company get away with this? Who makes the laws that allow this to happen?

I called these lousy rip offs today, and was told they bought a credit card debt from Capitol-1 back in 2010, and they have been unsuccessful in collecting on it... soooo... Garnish time!
Wait a minute, I said, I want to dispute that debt with Capitol-1... I don't owe them anything, as a matter of fact, I currently have two perfectly good credit cards with them that go back to at least that point in time; no problems, not even late payments! Why in the world would they give me two more credit cards if I still owed them money on another one?
They said, "Oh they sometimes do that - once they write off a debt from the past... but now WE legally OWN that debt and we are collecting on it. "
I said well I dispute that "old debt" because I don't believe I EVER owed that money, now, or back then".
They said, essentially- "Too bad. You should have picked up the phone all those times we called and worked out a payment plan with us. You owe US the money now. It's too late to dispute that - we got a judgement. You needed to dispute it back when Capitol-1 was trying to collect".
I said again-- "I had nothing to dispute with capitol 1, because I was never in default with capitol-1! Don't you think it's POSSIBLE that debt was sold to you or was somehow listed as mine in error?"
"Well, she said, it could have been, but it's too late now because you didn't call us back all that time and explain that. Besides, we have your social security number, so it's you for sure."
We exchanged a few more words, I saw I was getting nowhere, and her last words to me were:
"The only thing left to do now is pay the approximately $1200 in a ONE-Time full payment - which is the amount of the debt we bought."
I said really? I've never had a credit card from anyone with more than a 500 credit limit. My Capitol-1 credit limit _now_ is only $300 per card. You won't see a dime."
And I hung up in frustration. Now I can't have a savings or checking account (in my name alone) because they WILL steal my money out of it again . HOW DO I STOP THESE PEOPLE?

Jun 26, 2011 8:04 pm EDT

They called me several time trying to say I owed a phone bill to South Western Bell when I've always had Verizon as my phone company.
I hired WeStop DebtCollectors Law Firm and sued Portfoilo Recovery Assoc. They won me $1000 from the ### debt collectors and they never call me anymore. Wish they would so I could sue them again.

7:22 pm EDT

Portfolio Recovery Associates - Phone Calls

I have been receiving phone calls to both my land line and my cell phone for over 6 years from multiple numbers that PRA uses. I may get 6-8 calls/day and of course they leave no message. They may skip a few days, then start again. They may even skip a month, which tells me that they have sold it to another scam company for even less pennies, hoping that I have lost enough of my intelligence and savvy to fall for their incomprehensible and illegal activities. I do not accept this kind of fraud, nor do I, personally, want to pursue investigation. What I DO want... Federal Government, someone stop these predators. I believe that they are at the bottom of the cess pool. You all, find a REAL job. My husband (whom I have been married to for 18 years) and I owe nothing to anyone, and we have fantastic credit. I believe all of this happened from a relationship I had over 22 years ago with a real loser. In other words, this is a (debt) that was owed BY HIM 22 years ago. Need I say more? If it continues and I see no relief, I WILL get legal advice. God Bless

Oct 15, 2013 1:48 pm EDT

trying to collect on a debt from 1998 and stated one from 2000

T
Dec 21, 2014 3:58 pm EST

First check your state laws, even if debt expired they can't go after you, most of there tactics are to scare you. So they call every day to break you down, they don't even know what the debt is!

L
May 05, 2011 9:29 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Contact a lawyer who specializes in FDCA (Fair Debt Collections Act). They are clearly in violation. You can sue them, and its very easy. I sued 2 collection agencies and won both cases. Boy that p*ssed them off!

1:00 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

OK people here's how to deal with these bottom feeders if they contact you. 1) Never admit that you owe anything or give them any personal details. 2) Always ask for a verification of the alleged debt to be sent to you in writing stating the original lender, date of last payment and when they bought this debt. These are required by Federal law so that you...

1:03 pm EDT

Portfolio Recovery Associates - 16 year old credit card debt

I was contacted in reference to a 16 yr old credit card bill for my husband (who i am currently separated from) and was told that i am legally responsible for a bill to which i had no knowledge of in the first place.They stated that they had my ss # and asked that i recite it to them(ignorantly)i did. they stated that i must make payment arrangements to satisfy the debt.i believe that the statue of limitations has exhausted on this issue and informed them of my knowledge they insisted that the debt be paid.

4 comments
Sep 09, 2010 9:01 pm EDT

Apr 11, 2011 3:53 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Mica you are obviously either deluded, paid by PRA or both! No-one has to give their name let alone SSN to any phone caller. Also a VD letter is a minimum requirement for any company wanting to collect debts owed previously as correctly stated before.

Of course if you would like to contact me with your SSN, current address and phone number I will remove your bad credit report and stop trying to harass you LOL.

I also guarantee that your info won't be sold to hackers or ID theft companies ;)

You should really read up on both the Statute of Limitations and what is enforceable regarding old debts too before running off at the mouth. PRA specialises in buying debt at 1-3 cents on the dollar then trying to get the debt reinstated via intimidation not conciliation.

By the way everyone try Googling John Fuller the CEO of PRA and you will find it very enlightening :)

Mar 15, 2011 1:11 pm EDT

Uh 16 years? It was 16 years since the bill was paid or it has been active that long? Cause if since the bill was paid yes the statute of limitations ran out and they are just trying to get easy cash.

Next time ask them to provide proof of the debt. That means they have to prove the debt is yours, and also that they are the ones that have a right to collect on this said debt. Usually when you do that, the collection agencies will try to bs you to call the creditor and such. Not your responsibility it is theirs. Also, I don't know what state you are located in but if you can record without having to tell them awesome. Here is a site that lets you know what the laws are regarding this, http://www.rcfp.org/taping/.

Also here is a site to find consumer advocates in your area, http://www.naca.net/ . They will be better able to help you out.

Dec 03, 2010 5:40 pm EST

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC (incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia; listed
on NASDAQ stock exchange, as PRAA): started calling me back in June for a credit card
debt from 19911 - Statue of Limitation had run out and after 7 years cannot be on my
credit report. Their representatives (EXTORTIONISTS) always stated: "this call is to collect a LEGAL DEBT."
This IS NOT a legal debt because they have NO LEGAL REMEDY AVAILABLE TO COLLECT
the debt! I filed a complaint on-line with the FTC; complained to my Congressman;
and advised Judith 'Judy' Scott (Corporate Secretary/Legal Counsel) not to call me
again! I have not been called since I put Portfolio Recovery 'ON NOTICE' not to call!
Also, in my complaint to the FTC, I suggested they be prosecuted under RICO statutes
for extortion.

P
5:11 pm EST

Portfolio Recovery Associates - PRA Information

Update by PRAInfo
Feb 08, 2011 10:22 pm EST

For information purposes only. Consumers with concerns regarding Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC can contact Portfolio Recovery Associates’ via our web site at www.praresolutioncenter.com, call and speak with one of our quality service specialists toll-free at [protected] or send us an e-mail at [email protected] Quality service specialists are on staff to assist between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday EST.

8 comments
Apr 12, 2011 12:15 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Further to my earlier comments I tried using the email provided and got a polite email stating that the number would be taken off their call list. This seemed to work for all of three days before they started calling again.

I have called them several times but every time I advise them that the call will be recorded they hang up on me. If they are legit then why hang up just because what they say can be used against them? The only reason I can think of is that they know it's illegal to chase these debts and don't want to be caught out.

Apr 11, 2011 5:31 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Also perhaps PRA would like to explain why they are using the signature of a long dead woman on their affidavits too. Link here: http://www.fdcpa.me/portfolio-recovery-associates-zombie-robo-signer/

Apr 11, 2011 5:28 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Perhaps PRA would also like to comment on why they are using a long dead woman to sign their affidavits too. The link is http://www.fdcpa.me/portfolio-recovery-associates-zombie-robo-signer/

Mar 06, 2011 3:23 am EST

TURNER LAW OFFICES, LLC ANNOUNCE FILING OF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST
PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSOCIATES, INC.
FOR VIOLATIONS OF THE
TELEPHONE CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT

ATLANTA, GA--The law firm of Turner Law Offices, LLC has filed a Class Action lawsuit against Defendant Portfolio Recovery Associates, Inc. ("PRA") in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia on behalf of all persons in the State of Georgia who, since October 28, 2010, received a non-emergency telephone call from PRA to a cellular telephone through the use of an automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice and who did not provide prior express consent for such calls during the transaction that resulted in the debt owed. The action is captioned Kimberly Bartlett v. Portfolio Recovery Associates, Inc., and is numbered 11-CV-00624.

According to the Complaint, PRA violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA") by using automatic dialing systems or an artificial or prerecorded voice to contact cell phone users about purported debts without their prior consent. As described in the Complaint, Ms. Bartlett, the named plaintiff in the action, was repeatedly contacted since October 28, 2010 on her cell phone about a purported credit card debt. The Complaint avers that Plaintiff never consented to those calls, nor did she provide PRA with her telephone number.

Under the TCPA, PRA could be ordered to pay attorneys' fees, litigation expenses and costs of the lawsuit, and statutory damages of $500 for each negligent violation, and/or $1, 500 for each knowing and/or willing violation. According to the Complaint, the potential Class Members are estimated to number in the tens of thousands.

Mar 06, 2011 3:22 am EST

TURNER LAW OFFICES, LLC ANNOUNCE FILING OF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST
PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSOCIATES, INC.
FOR VIOLATIONS OF THE
TELEPHONE CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT

Feb 24, 2011 12:41 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Perhaps PRA they would care to comment on why they are still charging interest and collection fees on West Virginia debtors when state Attorney General Darrell Mcgraw has already ordered you to cease and desist once. As I'm sure your crack legal team is aware, West Virginia law on credit card debt, freezes the amount of the debt to what the debt was at the time of default and interest, penalties, and collection fees are forbidden on state residents. Yet I have forwarded the AG's office multiple copies of your "settlement offers" in which the amount of the debt mysteriously increases on both your correspondence and the debtors credit report, without any explanation. The good people in the AG's office were VERY interested in this information, as I'm sure you know they are probably the most pro-consumer AG's office in the nation and have sued and barred multiple debt collection operations from doing business in WV. If things go the way I expect them to, you may have to soon change your motto to "Operations in 49 states."

Feb 19, 2011 1:40 am EST

Feb 09, 2011 8:43 am EST

If we all do our homework I bet we will come to the collective conclusion that Portfolio Recovery Associates' owners and leadership are the same individuals who were stealing your mortgages and selling you bad mortgages at the height of the Housing Market Boom. Trust me, I know for a fact this is the case with at least 90% of Debt Collection companies that started up at around the same time the Housing Market was crashing. Don't believe me, do some research online into the players in the Debt Consolidation, Debt Recovery, Credit Repair and Mortgage Repair services. I'll bet 90% of the heads of these kinds of companies are indeed the same people who ran the mortgage companies who screwed up the American economy. Now that they've screwed it all up, time to clean up their mess by sucking up whatever money is still floating around.

If only we Americans could stop feeding these incessant vultures. Learn to live within your means. Yes, we understand you must look good in your social circles, but at what cost? Your future? Your finances? Your life? Get real! Want to live a better life, get an education and apply and enhance your skills, this will bring you to a better bankroll and a simpler life. Stop feeding these fat pigs.

10:30 pm EST

Portfolio Recovery Associates - Sent a

I got a notice from these a..wipes. According to them, I had run up a bill of 1499.78 from Capital One Visa...a card I have never had.
However, for a "one time offer only", they would take $750.00 saving me $749.78 or I could pay $137.00 for six months and save 677.78 or pay $75.00 a month for 12 months and save 599.78!

So, I am sending a dispute letter. To just about anyone who threatens me, I have one thing to say...bring it on! I have waited 7 years without paying one dime to a collection agency because the judge ordered him to pay but they nabbed me because I was the "only one they could find". The can't do anything to you.

I will keep you posted on how this turns out.

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This company is phoning our home 4-5 times per week in an attempt to collect a debt we do not owe. Have asked them to mail documentation to us at our home address proving what we owe for, how much, and to whom and we would review it and get back to them. They continue to call and have never sent us anything in the mail.

10:58 pm EST

Portfolio Recovery Associates - credit card balance

My wife got another debt collection in the mail that she is not responsible for!I spent two weeks last summer calling First Premier bank in regards acct#4610074518615348 balance of 599.35 that was on her credit report. Finally they said she was authorized to use it, she was not responsible for it. It was her deceased exhusbands. I would like that off her credit report, and stop the harassment!

1 comment
Jun 03, 2009 1:58 pm EDT

On 05/11/09, I received a letter to resolve the above mentioned account . I have a letter of adverse accounts dated 05/17/07 from Transunion that shows this acct. from Capital One Services was closed 09/2002 and will be removed 10/2008. What's up ?

F
8:57 pm EST

Portfolio Recovery Associates - Fraudulent Recovery Attemp

I was just contacted by Portfolio Recovery Associates;

Number they called from: 757-961-3544
Call back number 866-532-9661

They tried to convince me that I have an outstanding 11 year old debt with Dillards. I took down their call back information and contacted Dillard's credit; there is no debt and I have a zero balance. I was told that this is a fraudulent attempt to coerce people into thinking that they owe a debt and need to pay it.

L
May 05, 2011 9:35 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Contact a lawyer who specializes in FDCA (Fair Debt Collections Act). I was being sued by these fools and ended up counter suing and won big time! They even had to pay my lawyer fees. Check your State laws requarding the statue of limitations on old debt. Most States only allow 6-7 years to collect, some even less. Call a lawyer now!

F
Apr 11, 2011 2:39 pm EDT

I had this happen but they wouldn't/couldn't tell me my original debter! Nor the original amount! They've been haunting us for years!

Feb 09, 2011 8:26 am EST

Same thing happened to me, a 10 year old credit card I myself closed and left in good standing came back to bite me by way of Portfolio Recovery Associates. After going through my credit and asking the credit card company to send me letters stating the last known status of my credit card account(s), it was as I had remembered it being, both accounts closed in good standing. So why are they buying our information, shouldn't we be protected. I understand the law allows financial institutions to share customer information for those accounts with bad debt, but why are accounts left in good standing being sold as well? Isn't this a Federal Offense? Why isn't anyone doing anything about this? So after all my evidence I had them remove the collection account from their systems, whatever that means, probably means they've moved my account information to a resell database. Now after having gone through all this on some non-sense fraudulent debt, they have the audacity to send me a letter to ask my permission and signature to have the credit bureaus remove any inquiries they've made into my credit report. I quickly called them back to let them know I wasn't going to give them permission to mess around with my credit report, then a few days later a letter in the mail states they were informing me of their intent to have the credit bureaus remove any inquiries they've made on my report. Isn't this illegal? Now I will send them a letter and fax and follow up with a phone call requesting they stop fiddling around with any of my information, my credit report, my life period no nothing. If I find anything in my credit report regarding these guys after my phone call is placed, its time to play ball. Who wants to join my team?

A
11:41 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

They have repeatedly called me in the morning and at night. We just moved back state-side after living overseas for three years. We are trying to get our finances in order and I have asked them to send correspondence and to stop calling. They yell at me stating that I owe them money. Last call was at 4:26 pm, MST. I had to hang up on him. We are looking for a resolution to this debt but they are not helping the situation.

1:50 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

For several long months my phone has been ringing constantly from These hard headed people. I have informed them to cease calling and they are relentless. They call at all times of the day and even at night. Sundays even apply. I have asked them who they are and why they are calling and they refuse to let me have any information. They are extremly rude by...

1:13 am EST

Portfolio Recovery Associates - Not a Valid Debt

I have been harrased by this company for several months now. They keep telling me I owe $1900 to US Cellular. I havent had a US Cellular phone in over 15 years. They try and tell me that the account originated in 2006, but yet Ive been with Nextel and Verison sence 99... I wish I knew where they office was so I could DISCUSS this face to face, and see if they listen better when there phone is shoved up there a$%.

1 comment
W
Dec 31, 2010 1:45 pm EST

What's the nature of their "harassment" you mentioned? There are clear legal limits on what a debt collection agency can do: Know your rights -- read them here:

T
3:55 am EST

Portfolio Recovery Associates - fraud debt collector

I don't have any debt like porfolio recovery debt collector call me many time in a day or night from many other states number to ask me very rude about the debt I never had. I answer them very politely and let them know they had wrong person, but they persist to harrass me. I have a feeling they are from a criminal gang who want to torture me to get money. I don't know how to stop them. They deserve to cope with the justice but no body do it now?

Portfolio Recovery Associates contacts