Portfolio Recovery Associates Logo

Portfolio Recovery Associates

Having problems with Portfolio Recovery Associates?

Portfolio Recovery Associates reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 24, 2007. The latest review They say I owe $4,262.93 was posted on Jan 19, 2021. The latest complaint Phone calls was resolved on Apr 14, 2014. Portfolio Recovery Associates has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 103 reviews. Portfolio Recovery Associates has resolved 57 complaints.

Portfolio Recovery Associates Customer Service Contacts

1800 772 1413 (Customer Service)
120 Corporate Blvd., Ste. 1
Thu8:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Fri8:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Sat8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Sun11:00 AM - 10:00 PM

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Portfolio Recovery Associates Customer Service. Initial Portfolio Recovery Associates complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Portfolio Recovery Associates above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates. Discuss the issues you have had with Portfolio Recovery Associates and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Portfolio Recovery Associates Complaints & Reviews, Page 6

Portfolio Recovery Associates LLCShady, Sneaky, Watch Out!

I got a notice in the mail from this company to pay a debt that I knew nothing about and had never been contacted about before. I immediately sent them a dispute letter (always recommended) and asked them to provide specific information in writing about this debt as proof that I owe it. They replied with a lame response that gave me nothing I asked for except a "pay us or interest will continue to accrue." I have just sent yet another round-2 dispute letter, but not before I contacted my attorney which I informed them of in the letter should they not provide me with the specific info in writing that I originally requested and they continue to pursue this.
This bottom-feeder company and others like them pay anywhere from 1-3 cents on the dollar for their "accounts" and are ruthless in their attempts to get their $$ back. Just google "portfolio recovery associates complaints" (or any of your other favorite collection company names) and you'll see links and links to people's horrible experiences with them. Portfolio Recovery told one poor guy that he had papers "served" to him (unbeknownst to him at the time but later discovered, these papers were found tucked into the bushes on his front lawn)!!
When you get a collection letter and you question it, be absolutely sure to respond. If you're supposed to appear in court, do so, since by not appearing, these guys are winning by default. So much so that the prez of Recovery Assoc. has since started other collection companies due to their intimidating success. Protect yourself and Don't let them get you - if you're not sure about the debt, speak up!

Mary K. Bertling Sep 09, 2009

I used to work for a sister company of theirs called IGS, out here in Vegas. If anyone would like a full disclosure of the practices they teach, and encourage, in their training, please feel free to email me. [email protected]

Portfolio Recovery Associatesfalsifying information

I'm no expert on credit collections activities but I'm certain that chaning information in order to ### the age of an account in order to continue to collect is against the law. They are trying to harass collections on an account from 1999. They are reporting it as a "medical" account, which I believe allows them to collect longer and they have changed the opening age of the account to 2004. They refuse to validate the account with any type of written information. Yet the account is always verified for the credit bureaus. HOW is that possible?

• Gi
        Gina Apr 11, 2009

I also had a simular problem with this company. They changed the date of the account to last year (originally the date was 2005). Anyways, I would think that this is illegal. But these people are obviously dirty. The day after I spoke with him, trying to make arrangements to pay this debt, Very nicely by the way, this person
        contacted transunion and added $7.00 to the account to create new activity. Does anyone know if I can dispute this?

Portfolio Recovery AssociatesCalling wrong person!

I just moved and have a new number. Apparently Portfolio Recovery (collections agency) is looking for someone with the same first initial and last name. Every night about the same time, after I have retired, they call. It is an automated message and says if I'm not "Chad" to disregard. It wakes me up and I get up for work at 2:00 A.M. so I go to bed very early. I have not been able to find the right person to make this stop. It is even on the weekends! Apparently some brilliant person thinks there is only one C. Wilson in Scottsdale, Arizona and it MUST be Chad. I cannot disconnect my phone as I have elderly parents that may call. My number is also unlisted. As with most collection agencies, it doesn't matter if it is a mistake, they will drive you absolutely NUTS! What do I have to do, pay off Chad's debts to be free of them? Move? Change my name?

Sleepless in Scottsdale.

• Ow
          owen hinkle Dec 25, 2019

they threatened with being arrested and being thrown in Jail if I didn't pay this. In an Email I have a copy of the Email

Joseph A Mullaney III Dec 04, 2007

Hello, my name is Attorney Joseph A. Mullaney, III. I represent Pennsylvania and New Jersey consumers against companies that mis-program their computers to call the "wrong person." I have found that the only way these companies change their policies is to be hit in the pocketbook. If you have a residential (non-business) telephone number receiving unlawful consumer debt collection telephone calls, you may have a cause of action. Did you know that you may be entitled up to $1000.00 under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. 1692, et seq. and another $1500.00 for each automated (prerecorded or artificial) telephone call under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, 47 U.S.C. 227, et seq.?

If you wish to speak about your matter, please email me. If we agree that professional representation is warranted, I represent consumers without any upfront costs or attorneys fees. Instead, they will be deducted from your recovery and/or awarded by the court against the defendants. Other terms and conditions apply. I hope to hear from you soon because there are important statute of limitations governing your possible action.

Nothing herein is intended nor may it be construed as legal advice. For legal advice, consult an attorney.

Very truly yours,