Pick n Pay / there was no bacon

1 Tokai Junction, South Africa

I called the Manager this morning to question why I could not get bacon in the Tokai Pick n Pay and was told that it was because Moslems do not like it. The Manager cut me off before I finished speaking to him and before he gave me an answer. I tried calling again but no one picked up. I would think that supermarkets are not controlled by religion though you can cater to religious needs but not neglect the other people. If Moslems have the say in what supermarkets should not or should have then it is unfair and this calls for human rights to intervene. this is a free country not ruled by Moslem religion so why is Pick n Pay doing this. I would like to take this further and involve all If the organizations of human rights and get people to sign and march the streets if it comes to that. You can solve this. Just put in a new counter that caters to Moslems and a different one that caters to people like me who like their bacon. If I had got another reason why you had not bacon which was not a religious one, then I would have ignored this. We are a nation that has freedom for all and I believe it includes our supermarkets too.

Here is a copy of your mission and values

Pick n Pay Holdings Limited and Pick n Pay Stores Limited are investment holding companies listed on the JSE since 1968. Pick n Pay Holdings Limited's sole purpose is the holding of the controlling shareholding in Pick n Pay Stores Limited. Pick n Pay Stores Limited, through its subsidiaries and associates, operates in the retail sector on the African continent.

Pick n Pay is the quintessential family store focused on the customer. Since 1967 when consumer champion Raymond Ackerman purchased the first few stores, the Ackerman family's vision has grown and expanded to now encompass stores in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Mozambique, Mauritius, Swaziland, and Lesotho. Additionally Pick n Pay owns a 49% share of a Zimbabwean supermarket business, TM Supermarkets. Our offer to customers focuses on groceries, clothing and general merchandise, but also includes additional value-added services to cater to our customers' expectations and evolving needs. To ensure a convenient and accessible shopping experience the Group operates across multiple store formats, both franchised and owned.

For the past 5 years, the Group's core focus has been to strengthen its strong South African retail businesses under the Pick n Pay and Boxer brands, while adopting a systematic approach to expanding into adjacent areas, including geographical growth through the African continent.

As a major retailer in Africa, the Group strives to address socio-economic challenges through the supply of high-quality, affordable food for all customers, while providing significant employment and economic opportunities across its value chain. The growth and success of Pick n Pay is attributable to 3 basic principles, which form the cornerstone of the business: Consumer sovereignty; Doing good is good business; and maximizing business efficiency.

Mission
We serve
With our hearts, we create a great place to be
With our minds, we create an excellent place to shop

Values
We are passionate about our customers and will fight for their rights
We care for and respect each other
We foster personal growth and opportunity
We nurture leadership and vision and reward innovation
We live by honesty and integrity
We support and participate in our communities
We take individual responsibility