Orbitz / Inaccurate hotel description - no elevator

1 New York, NY, United States Review updated:

After I reserved an air/hotel package for a trip to Chicago through Orbitz, I learned the hotel I booked would have no elevator service until April.

I called Orbitz to see about switching hotels. I was a little shocked to learn that:
1. Even in a case like this, Orbitz tells you to travel to the hotel you've booked and ask to get moved to another property
2. Orbitz does not require hotels to mention major repairs or construction in the descriptions you see on Orbitz
3. Canceling the trip means forfeiting almost all of what I paid.
Bottom line: It smells like deceptive practice to include inaccurate, out-of-date listings for hotels. Orbitz needs to require hotel partners to submit honest listings -- or guarantee that customers have some protection if a hotel is caught in an outright lie.
PS - This hotel is called the Willows, and - again - there's no indication anywhere that it doesn't have elevator service until April. I found out through a Yelp review.

Mi

Comments

17th of Jan, 2013

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM! I WILL NOT USE THEM AGAIN AND AM LETTING FRIENDS AND FAMILY KNOW ABOUT THEIR PRACTICES. I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO THE SAME.