American Airlines Logo

American Airlines

Having problems with American Airlines?

American Airlines reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 12, 2006. The latest review Stuck for 23 hours at DFW with rude/unhelpful AA employees was posted on Jun 17, 2021. The latest complaint cancellation and gate change was resolved on Apr 13, 2019. American Airlines has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 267 reviews. American Airlines has resolved 32 complaints.

American Airlines Customer Service Contacts

1800 904 6000 (Mexico)
+1 800 433 7300 (USA and Canada)
+44 207 660 2300 (United Kingdom)
+61 291 011 948 (Australia)
+64 93 084 014 (New Zealand)
+32 70 300300 (Belgium)
+45 82 332 895 (Denmark)
+31 900 040 1666 (Netherlands)
+351 808 200 958 (Portugal)
+41 848 289 289 (Switzerland)
+852 30 579 197 (Hong Kong)
+60 320 535 120 (Malaysia)
+63 25 248 625 (Philippines)
+966 114 615 453 (Saudi Arabia)
+65 63 498 444 (Singapore)
+27 118 446 067 (South Africa)
+82 234 833 909 (South Korea)
+66 26 341 031 (Thailand)
+54 43 181 111 (Argentina)
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, Texas
  • Ponce De Leon, Travel Center - MIATA, 901 Ponce De Leon Blvd, Suite 103, Miami, FL 33134
  • Oakland Park - Travel Center FLLTA 2720 East Oakland Park Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306
  • Airport Travel Center, Miami International Airport, Miami, FL

Halaskargazi cad. № 2 Daire 3, Harbiye-Istanbul, Turkey

Benin
2nd floor, Carre 590, St Michel, Immeuble Ecobank, 03 BP 3699, Benin Republic

China
  • Room 1313, China Shine Plaza, № 3-15 Lin He Xi Road, Tian He District, Guangzhou, 510610, China
  • Huaihai Plaza, Suite 701 № 1045 Middle Huaihai Road, Shanghai 200031, China

• Parana 3745 Buenos Aires
  • Santa Fe 881 & Suipacha, Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Avda. Rafael Nuñez 4081- Cerro de las Rosas, Cordoba 5009
Brazil
  • Avenida Presidente Wilson 165/5th floor ntro- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 20030-020
  • Av das Americas, 700 Bloco 8 Loja 117 H, Shopping Citta America Barra da Tijuca
  • Store 117H, located in Building 8, Brazil
  • Alameda Santos 2233 Level E1, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mexico
  • Blvd. A. Lopez Mateos 1102 Oriente Local B16 Col., Los Gavilanes, C.P., 37270, Leon, Gto. Mexico
  • Reforma 300 PB, Zona Rosa, C.P. 06600, Mexico D.F, Mexico

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with American Airlines Customer Service. Initial American Airlines complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for American Airlines above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about American Airlines. Discuss the issues you have had with American Airlines and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

American Airlines Complaints & Reviews

American AirlinesStuck for 23 hours at DFW with rude/unhelpful AA employees

My family of 5: Our flight from Bham, AL to DFW went off fine until we landed & received the text that the DFW 4383 flight to SLC at 1:20 had been canceled. We confirmed for the 7:30 2846 & luggage was sent on to SLC (which we did not know). Total of 11 delays (told weather & maintenance), 7 gate changes, 1 plane change, loaded the plane at 11:30pm, sat on it for an hour to be canceled because the crew would time out. After getting off the plane, we were told to go to customer service desk several terminals away to reschedule. There were 100s in line because other flights had been canceled also. My husband & aunt stood in line while I went to the desk to see what I could find out about luggage. I overheard an AA guy in a suit talking to someone on the phone saying that they had given out the cards, told everyone that it was a waste of time to stay in line & to call the number to reschedule. I finally got to talk to him to ask about our luggage & say that we had been there since noon, over 13 hours & all he could say was "I'm sorry about that." They shut down the line at 2am & they were very ugly about it saying that the workers had to go home because they had been there since the morning. Well, we were paying customers who had been there for 14 hours with no kind of answers. We weren't offered a hotel because they were full. We were offered nothing by American including answers. No flights were available for SLC the next day so I did get our flights changed to IDF, but that meant we lost $300 on our SLC hotel. Our luggage was in SLC & I had to call several times to finally get it Tuesday, 6/8. We also had to pay $200 more for a rental car a day later at IDF because that's what we could get. I have applied for refunds for all of our tix to cover our unused expenses and pain and suffering while spending 23 hours in DFW just trying to get to our Yellowstone vacation.

American Airlineson board wifi charges

I bought onboard wifi for a flight in April. I cancelled it on April 23. You keep charging my Credit Card every month. I have emailed you twice called numerous times and you STILL KEEEP CHARGING MY CREDIT CARD!!! I canceled this on April 23, 2021. I have done 2 chargebacks for the payments you have charged. I have called in and no one answers the phone and there is no way to leave my number because when I try to leave a message nothing happens. PLEASE STOP CHARGING MY CREDIT CARD OR I WILL WRITE TO THE BBB AND ATTORNEY GENERAL.

Order #: 358844273W2AA

American AirlinesCheck-in Counter Employee

At approximately 4:30am at the AA check-in counter at MCI I was directed to start my check in at the kiosk. Unable to read the kiosk due to ADA limitations I tried to enter the line for personal assistance at the counter. Several employees ignored me until I raised my voice explaining I needed to be allowed in the roped off line to the counter. Arriving at the counter the 50-60 year old white female with blond hair began to yell at me stating "...one day you're going to have to lean how to use the kiosk." Instead of explaining my ADA limitations to her, I just walked away. I can absolutely see why AA leads the nation in customer complaints. I can't think of of a single employment situation where yelling at customers is an acceptable practice. And yelling at a customer for having to do her job because I have ADA limitations is probably unlawful to some degree?

Gina Giffin :AA Confirmation # RKQOSV

American AirlinesUnethical separation of a flight credit into two separate credits requiring purchase of an additional flight

I had purchased 3 tickets ($156.79 each) for my family for an April 9, 2020 flight that had to be canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. AA denied my request for a simple refund of our payment, and assured us that we would have the total credit to be use in any we want. They ended up separating the credits into each of separately, requiring all 3 of us to have to fly again. In addition, they separated my husband and my credits into a "flight credit" of $138.40 and a "trip credit" of $18.39 - in each of our accounts. Those two credits CANNOT be used together - they must each be used on separate flights! So, AA is trying to get us to buy 4 separate flights, from the credit of one original flight. After 4 back & forth requests through their online messaging system where they would take 2-3 days to respond, they finally acquiesce to convert my husband's and minor daughter's credits into eVouchers which can be used together. For some unknown reason, they are refusing to change my credits into eVouchers too, thus requiring that I have to purchase two separate flights for myself into to use the separated portions of my credits. I want to use up the credits in all 3 of our accounts for an upcoming flight for my husband and I, but I cannot do that without having to pay extra - even though there is enough to cover our flights with the credits from that one canceled flight. My daughter cannot fly because she has an underlying health condition and is not old enough to receive the COVID vaccine. AA is trying to gouge customers of more money during the the COVID pandemic. I plan on reporting them to the DOT and my state's attorney general for this unfair and unethical practice.

May 17, 2021

American Airlines — Disabilities travel complaint

Mothers Day Sunday May 9th 2021 I walked into the door at American Airlines in St Louis and to my right was a...

American Airlinesticket agent would not let us board and re-ticketed us for a later flight

May 7, 2021.
          We had already checked in for our flight this morning and arrived at the airport 40 minutes prior to departure for the early morning flight to Dallas from Palm Springs. When we went to check in our bags, the agent told us we were 4 minutes too late to board our scheduled flight and she re-ticketed us to get on a later flight which meant that we missed our meeting in Dallas. We were floored. and perplexed. Stunned. We did not know of this American airlines rule and I cannot find it on American's website or on the internet. We would like an apology from American Airlines and specifically from that ticket agent.

American AirlinesDelayed bag reimbursement

During my latest flight with American Airlines, my luggage was delayed. I was without my luggage for over 24 hours. I contacted customer service to inquire about any complimentary award miles/points.
            I was told American does not provide any comp awards/points for a delayed bag.
            I feel the LEAST the airline can do is provide some type of award miles to make up for me not having my luggage for 24 hours.

American AirlinesUnaccompanied minor escort

First off I want to say I have used american airlines for years and today I have decided that I will longer use american airlines. The unprofessional service my son (Daniel Rosado) who is 8 years old that he received on november 8th, 2020 around 5pm. He used the unaccompanied minor service and the supervisor who was my son's escort Franciso in Orlando MCO airport not only didn't ask for ID to the person picking him at the airport he didn't escort him to the proper area for the pickup person to pick him up. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. ID should been asked for you just dont hand off my son to anybody without verifying that person I am so upset and even the employee at the Lost and found office by baggage claim said that was not the way to do it. I need something to be done about this please and thank you. Contact information is above please I would appreciate if somebody would contact me
              End result : I want something done about this!

American AirlinesFlight was changed by airline and priceline did not notify me

I made an airline reservation through priceline in may and when I arrived to the airport there was no flight. I contacted american airlines and they stated that they changed the flight in septempber which priceline did not contact me and notify me of the change. Now I will not be arriving to the resort that I paid two thousand for. Priceline needs to fix this now or reimburse me the money I am losing out for missing my stay. Additionally, I was told I would get a call back and still havent recieved it. Everytime I attempt to call back I am told a call back is planned. Fix it now!!!

Jun 26, 2020

American Airlines — Refunds

I planned to attend a conference in Orlando and was to fly home on American Airlines on April 5th. Due to the...

American AirlinesFlight

We missed two flights due to the plane and something that went wrong at the airport... we had an connecting flight from phila to Charlotte.. never made it to Charlotte.. landed in greens boro nc.. was stuck here for hours... was on the plane from 8am until 2pm with no food just pretzels.. now stuck at Greensboro airport until our next flight witch is in the evening.. I fly with American often... I book my flight thru a 3rd party... I was not satisfyied at all.. we missed and event we paid for to b there at a certain time and missed it because we missed 2 flight.. then they told us it wasnt enough flight attenedants... for us to leave.. then the fuel.. it was a mess not satisfied at all... please contact me at [protected]

Dec 19, 2019

American Airlines — flight being cancelled

My name is Stacey Burns and myself and my daughter Jenna were in Las Vegas and we were supposed to fly from...

American Airlineswaiting on runway after landing

Ticket information : GRKWVJ. The complaint is my flight back from Philadelphia on Dec. 14, 2019. After waiting for hour and a half to board in Philadelphia, the flight took a total of about 6.1 hours to get to LAX (The Captain did a very good job and no complaints about him or the flight AT ALL). The problem was when we landed he could not unload us at American Airline dock so we sat on the run way for over and hour. This caused a big problem with our scheduled transportation and we had to re schedule a later pick up time and location. Is there a way to make this issue right.

Dec 08, 2019

American Airlines — terrible customer service; connecting flight left without us to get to wedding in st. thomas!

On Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2019, myself, and 5 of my family members were traveling from Boston Logan Airport on the...

American Airlinesthey overbooked a flight when I already had an assigned seat on the airplane.

I had a confirmed seat on flight AA3962 from Gainesville, Fl to Santa Fe, New Mexico with a stop in Dallas. Upon arriving they said initially weren't boarding me due to weight, balance restrictions. Shortly after they said they had over booked the flight and offered me 350 dollars which I said was 'pennies'. They then offer me 1350 dollars and said I could get a flight the next day. I told them the only acceptable solution for me was a 'FREE' flight the next day and a refund of my entire ticket amount which they did not deny but gave me the phone number for 'reservations', [protected]. I had to rent a car myself and drive and return home to come back the next day after just spending 117 dollars on an uber ride to get there for the 6:00 AM flight. I also missed a day of work due to not getting to Santa Fe until today, 12-02-2019. I request a full refund of my ticket price of $1, 273.48. Thank You! Respectfully, Kenneth A. Hodges

Nov 23, 2019

American Airlines — customer services reboarding

My husband and I were traveling back from a trip to DC on Friday November 22, 2019 on flight 2404 from Dalla...

American Airlinesflight change dates

They are charging me 30 thousand more miles for a date change on my flight because they don't have enough planes, this was inform to me whenever I call to confirm my flight one week before, the cancel my flight on my original date the 28 of November, then proceed to tell me I can travel 29 whenever I already plans for 28 night, I cannot pay the extra miles for a change de date to the 27th because of the airline fault

American Airlinesflight/luggage

I have got a flight with American Airlines from Heathrow to Lima with a two hours connection in Miami.

The flight from London delayed almost 2hs and then i have lost my connection. AA alocate me in another flight to Lima with Latam. However, they did not send my luggage to Latam. I end up in Lima (where i do not live) without anything and any information.

I've opened a complaint and they keep blaming Latam. However, they are in possess of my lugagge. If you call customer services, they do not treat you well and do not provide any reasonable information.

American Airlinesflights

My 70yr old parents flight was delayed due to mechanical issues which caused them to miss their connecting flights. They were then downgraded from first class to the back on two of their flights. They asked the counter to call their connecting terminal to let them know they're going to be 5 minutes late they weren't told they'd have plenty of time but no the A/C door was shut pretty much in their face. Their flight was rebooked and they were sent back to the terminal they had come from just to get a call to come back. 70 yr old people shouldn't be run all over the airport. The service was not acceptable and I want a full refund to include any out of pocket expenses for food and drinks as well as an inconvenience fee. So much for a a great 50th Anniversary

American Airlinesthey took our plane right before we boarded for a different flight, sent us to another gate and then canceled our flight.

This is the first time I have flown American since I retired three years ago. I was very excited to get a direct flight from Philly to Asheville, but it's the same old stuff with your airline. I went from State College Pennsylvania to Philly this afternoon, was sitting at my gate F 28, when all these people started showing up saying they were going to Charlotte. Suddenly we get notification that we have to change gates and they send us to F11. We sit down, the pilots and flight attendants get on the plane, and then the flight board notifies us that our flight has been cancelled. There was no one at the gate to help us, which I'm pretty sure was by design. We go down to the customer service desk and they want us to go into Greenville, SC because there's no more seats to CLT. They won't provide us transportation to AVL (where my car is located) and your app wouldn't allow me to change my flt. Now I get to sit in Philly until 7p and maybe get home at 11:30p instead of 6p as scheduled. All the other people in line were just SOL and after all that they had the audacity to bump me to Zone 8. I do not understand how US Airways could buy out American and turn a great Airline into such an atrocious experience for all. Delta options are starting to look better everyday.