Menu
Orbitz company logo
reviews & complaints

reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

311 complaints
45 resolved 266 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Orbitz. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
A
1:49 pm EST

Orbitz - charges for upgraded services not refunded

The trip that was booked to Cancun for new Year's was terrible. Because of New Year Holiday it was an expensive reservation for a resort but I thought it would be well worth because it was a surprise trip for my mom. The total cost of my hotel was $1, 689.60 plus the shuttle fees. We arrived at Grand Oasis Sens and I presented my information to the reception desk. After a flurry of discussion among them in Spanish (which I do not understand), I was informed that they don’t have rooms with the ocean front view and a terrace as Orbitz had promised to me. Better yet, I was told that such rooms with 2 queen size beds do not exist at this particular hotel. I was shocked because I confirmed it with Orbitz before my departure and paid an upgrade fee for the room with the ocean view. To make a long story short, we had no electricity on New Year's eve, the phone to the lobby desk was never answered, room had mold and unsanitary bathroom (I have pictures to prove it). I made several calls to Orbitz but they denied a refund because they couldn't get in touch with the hotel and get their money back! Obviously they could get in touch with the hotel when they booked my stay. I booked my trip through Orbitz not the hotel directly, so I expect Orbitz to cover for the services not being delivered and to deal with the hotel. If Orbitz is there just to collect commission but not to solve problems, why should I book my trips through this company?

Mar 15, 2016 12:39 pm EDT

Hello,
My name is Luisa, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We want to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Please email us at socialnetwork@orbitz.com with your Orbitz confirmation number and enter my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.

10:32 am EST

Orbitz - hotel booking and credit card fraud

on March-12, 2016, I booked a hotel in Hong Kong through Orbitz . I used my credit card on their file to pay for the hotel booking.

Although Orbitz provides assurance against credit card fraud and having a secure website, my card was used 3 times on the same day at Nordstrom for purchases exceeding $300, $400, $500. I was alerted by the credit card company on this problem and my credit card has been suspended .

Since I was on travel and away from USA, the cancellation of my credit card has caused a huge problem. When I called Orbitz customer service, they denied any responsibility. But what else can be the problem since the fraud happened on the same day. Orbitz must have sent my credit card no. to the hotel for the payment and thus caused this fraud to happen. So I will never again use my credit card on line or book through Orbitz.

Feb 17, 2016 11:17 am EST

Hi,
My name is Luisa, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We want to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Please email us at socialnetwork@orbitz.com and enter my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.

A
1:51 pm EST

Orbitz - worst ever!!!

I booked several hotels for my trip through Europe. I agreed to pay upon arrival at the hotels. I entered my credit to secure the room. Orbitz indicated I would not be charged. $0.00 is what I agreed to pay. This morning, I discovered a charge from Hotel Libertel du Suede for $202.62. My reservation was for $336.72. I called Orbitz. I told them that first, I did not agree to any charges to my card. Second, the amount was not even an amount of any room I booked. Orbitz told me they have no record of the charge. That I must have called Hotel Libertel and booked it. Unbelievable! I found the hotel through Orbitz. So, basically Orbitz is allowing hotels in other countries to charge random amounts to credit cards that are used on the Orbitz site to book hotels. I have told five different excuses by Orbitz and been on hold for two hours and thirty minutes. This is the worst experience ever. Now my credit card company tells me there is nothing they can do and Orbitz says it is my problem and basically I am out the money on a hotel charge I never authorized. I have cancelled all of my reservations through Orbitz. DO NOT US ORBITZ EVER!

Feb 15, 2016 12:29 pm EST

Hi Anne,

T
5:54 am EST

Orbitz - worst experience ever, lost my money!

I had booked a flight via Orbitz website. Few minutes later I received a confirmation email from Orbitz confirming the flight. Everything seemed fine. So, when I showed up at the airport I was told that I no longer had a flight. American Airlines told me that Orbitz had switched me to United. When I contacted United customer service they said that Orbitz had canceled my flight. I then contacted Orbitz and spent many hours on the phone arguing with them. They just continued to blame me and I was told that they even sent me a message about my flight had been cancelled. They also refused to give my money back. I will never use Orbitz again and I highly recommend no one else to use Orbitz!

Jan 22, 2016 3:10 pm EST

5:25 pm EST

Orbitz - orbitz makes offers they can't deliver

Orbitz offers some great deals but can't deliver on what they offer. I wasted 5 hours trying to book a flight that after entering everything it states that it cannot complete the booking, try again later. After trying again later and entering all the information again, same result. So I called Orbitz, after being on hold for several minutes they could see what flights I was trying to book and the Orbitz representative was very kind and helpful and said let me book those flights for you. After I repeated all the information again and she entered it, she got the same result. She then offered me the flights at a higher price, I said OK. She had to obtain and enter all the information again (multiple flights and multiple passengers). Same result, could not complete the purchase. She offered other flights at a much higher price. I asked how Orbitz they can offer flights that they can't deliver. I understand that prices can change but 3 times during one call? She transferred me to a manager. After being on hold for several minutes, Orbitz hung up on me. I recommend that you don't waste your time, book directly with the airlines.

D
8:28 pm EST

Orbitz - unethical behavior

I booked a flight, hotel, and rental card through Orbitz. I received separate emails for each reservation and mind you I booked this vacation in advance. I fly all the way from Arizona to Florida on 12/29 for a week vacation over the New Years holiday. When I get to my hotel in Florida @ 5pm I am told a reservation was never made and they are sold out. I call Orbitz and upon further investigation of my confirmation email for the hotel I see it is not a confirmation but a "we are working on your reservation". I was told by the Orbitz agent (who are all employed in India and have the worst customer service skills known to human kind)that my room was booked my credit card charged and set to go. Ok, my fault I guess you should assume the agents at Orbitz are liars and when they say they booked your room they really didn't. Not sure what she did with my credit card info since she didn't make my reservation. Sitting in Florida with no room I am stupid enough to call Orbitz not only to complain to an agent that has less personality than my computer and could care less about the inconvenience I am experiencing but I proceed to book a room at another hotel. This time I get a real confirmation email. I gather my family and drive 15 minutes to my new more expensive and 1/10th the quality hotel. I get to the front desk only to be told that I do not have a room all the rooms with double beds as I reserved are sold out! I can share a king bed with two other men who are both over 6'3 and 200+ pounds for 6 nights. Not going for that I call Orbitz one more time. I am offered nothing for the inconvenience just verbal apologies which aren't cutting it at this point. I am told while they will attempt to get my money back for the 6 nights they charged I can book another room at another hotel through them! So while they are not guaranteeing they will refund my money for the room they promised that did not exist. I now had to book a room at another hotel resulting in thousands of dollars of hotel room charges (for the non existent room and the one we get to actually stay in). Thank god I am not living on a budget trying to take my family on a vacation because Orbitz would have single handedly destroyed the entire one week vacation. They need to stop being so cheap and hire American workers who have at least some knowledge of customer service. Stop booking hotels that are already over booked. Stop charging people for a room that is not available. This is theft. Very disappointed and will be reporting this to as many sites as possible. Completely unethical disgusting behavior by Orbitz.

C
3:09 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Orbitz - airfare booked in wrong passenger name

I am an Orbitz account holder. I purchased 2 airline tickets on behalf of a friend. Both tickets were purchased on www.orbitz.com. I purchased both tickets by adding my friend's name, gender and date of birth in the appropriate passenger section of the website. Nevertheless, both tickets were booked and confirmed under my name, the Orbitz account holder name, which is not what I entered and requested on www.orbitz.com. However, Orbitz did book the ticket under my friend's gender and birthdate which confirms that I did enter in the new passenger information. In summary, both tickets were incorrectly booked under my name, my friend's date of birth and my friend's gender. This is absolutely a website error on Orbitz, www.orbitz.com. When I contacted Orbitz customer service, they informed me that I must repurchase the ticket at $150 more than my original ticket due to an airline fare increase. Furthermore, they instructed me that a claim would be opened to investigate why my ticket was incorrectly booked and request a refund of the ticket booked in error. Over 3 weeks later, I have spoke to 3 different Orbitz Supervisors who have just tried to make excuse after excuse as to why they will not refund the canceled tickets booked in the wrong passenger name. They continue to state that regardless of any website errors or misbookings of Orbitz, that I was given the opportunity to catch the mistake on the confirmation page prior to booking. It is Orbitz's conclusion, that regardless if a mistake was made by their website, I had the opportunity to find the mistake and since I didn't it is my responsibility. Orbitz has denied all together that they are responsible for this at any cost to prevent having to provide me a credit of $600 for the 2 flights that were booked under the wrong passenger name and canceled. I have spent over 7 hours on the telephone and email with Orbitz to hear over and over again the excuses by the Orbitz Supervisors. Orbitz has even told me I cannot escalate this matter any further and my only other option is to leave feedback on the website. This is such a joke and I recommend never to use Orbitz again in booking an airline flight. I am a frequent flyer and elite program member to various airlines and travel sites, and certainly Orbitz provides the lowest level of customer service and now truly a service that you cannot even trust to provide you travel assistance.

P
11:21 am EDT

Orbitz - hidden booking fee

I have been using Orbitz for many years and never pay attention to their booking fee. But on September 14, 2015, I purchased two Delta Airlines ticket via Orbitz and realized Orbitz charged me four separate charge for these two airlines tickets. Two charge for Delta Air tickets and two charge for booking fee (21.98 x 2). I verify thru Orbitz and do not see anywhere Orbitz display this booking fee on their website. After investigated, I find out that Orbitz charge this booking fee hidden in the "taxes and fee" portion of the airlines fee. I don't mind pay a booking fee when booking fee is clearly display and make it known to consumers. But I feel cheated when Orbitz charge this booking fee bundle in the "taxes and fee" part of the charge. This fee is hidden and that is unacceptable.

Update by Peter2211
Oct 06, 2015 9:07 pm EDT

Hi Shalon:

I have send you an email with detail information about above case and look forward appropriate remedy.

Update by Peter2211
Oct 05, 2015 11:25 am EDT

If anyone know if Orbitz bundle their booking fee in the "taxes and fee" portion is legal. Also how to start a class action against Orbitz about hidden booking fee. Please contact me.

Oct 06, 2015 3:24 pm EDT

Hello,

My name is Shalon, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We want to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Please email us at socialnetwork@orbitz.com and enter my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.

Shalon

8:16 pm EDT

Orbitz - overnight stay without cancellation option

I have looked at many other search engines to save money on stays. They all said the price for non refundable and then price for free cancellation. Orbitz did not until I clicked on cancellation policy and it said 0 if you cancel. Now I do not plan on cancelling but it is a nice cushion if something would come up. Also I have found that when I find a good deal on one of these sites I call the hotel itself and ask for an AARP rate and it the same with less tax to pay. ORBITZ is off of my list to use at all and I will tell everyone I know.

Sep 16, 2015 11:03 am EDT

Hi Reviewer75485,

My name is Lynne; I’m a member of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. Typically the hotel cancellation policy is advised and accepted at the time of booking. We’d like to learn more about your concern; so we can address the issue. Please email us at socialnetwork@orbitz.com and provide the Orbitz Confirmation#; so we may investigate further.

Thanks for reaching out. We look forwarding to receiving your info.

Kindly,

8:36 pm EST

Orbitz - misadvertising

Wife and i for our 71st birthday booked a trip to Sealtle with Orbitz, mainly due to a statement that the reservation could be cancled with no penality. A week later we find out my wife has to have major heart surgery and we can't go. Try to cancel on line, could not, even though i booked on line. Told to call [protected]. After 20 minutes on hold for this 'VERY IMPORTANT CALL', I'm told that to cancle they would keep my money for 1 year and if i do not rebook within 1 year, i forfet my money. Additionally, i have to pay a $200 fee to the airline if i do rebook. When i told about their web page that said no penality or problem with cancelation, they said this had to be done by 10 am of the day after i booked the trip.

I consider this lying, misrepresentation and likely illegal. Likely they caluculate most of us can't afford to legally challenge it. Not only is my wife's dream trip shot but on our fixed income, we are going to be out a lot of money for us. I WISH SOMEONE WOULD DO A CLASS ACTION (SUE) ORBITZ. WE CAN'T BE UNIQUE, THERE MUST BE 1, 000s and 1, 000s out there with the same experience. That is Millions and Millions of dollars ORBITZ is stealing daily. I will keep trying without much expectation of success, but i make sure everyone i know, everyone i meet now and in the future to not use ORBITZ and ask them to tell 10 other people

Feb 13, 2015 11:50 am EST

Shalon

N
11:50 am EST

Orbitz - the rep booked cruise for the wrong date and refused to help after that

Total scam, so better avoid this jerks. I booked the cruise from the company Orbitz Cruises. I provided all required info and asked the rep to book it. The rep booked and provided the confirmation info. I checked info and it turned out that the rep booked cruise for the wrong date. I contacted them and asked to help, but these scammers refused to help as well as return money back. I wonder if there are people, who have the same problems and what have you done in such situation, please post comments.

2 comments
T
Jun 24, 2016 7:15 pm EDT

I'm dealing with the same issue! I am an attorney myself, and I will be contacting a colleague of mine to explore the possibilities. Maybe if so many people have experienced the same issue, we can even file a class action! They changed my trip information, and know the cruise is booked! They are saying I need to pay close to $500 to change the date, when they are the ones who changed it.. I will be contacting their corporate office, as well as the Better Business Bureau!

Dec 16, 2014 3:45 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I’m a member of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We’d like to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Just email us at socialnetwork@orbitz. com. Please include the Orbitz confirmation number; we’ll investigate further and respond back to you. Thank you, Steve

9:05 am EDT

Orbitz - online booking

I booked my ticket online with email address as a required field. Then passenger's name and other pertinent personal info were filled up and entered. They sent me the confirmation with my userid on email. Days passed by, ignoring the userid is on the itenerary as usual practice. But when I was at the airport I couldnt board because my name was different from what was booked. Then I called orbitz and gone thru all this ordeal of why their online booking took my email userid instead of what I entered for required passengers data. They suggested to cancel my trip and took $200 cancellation fee. I ended up buying my ticket at the counter so I can leave and deal with this later. Moral lesson, don't use Orbitz at all. Their online system is a thief. I used them many times in the past using my email and did not have problem. But because I have not used for the last 4 years, this happened. I'm not sure how to go about getting that cancellation fee.

E
8:50 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Orbitz - they won't return the money!

I booked a hotel with wrong information, so I called the customer service to cancel the reservation. They told me to book a new one with right information and call they back, then they can cancel the old one and refund the money. I did as what he told me to do. And they agreed to refund. However, I waited ONE MONTH,and no money back. So I called again, they also agreed to refund, but still no money back after another MONTH. I tried the THIRD time, still the same result. They not only made me waste my money, but also waste my time. WILL NEVER USE ORBITZ AGAIN!

Update by Echo216
Dec 15, 2014 10:40 pm EST

Problem has been solved. Thanks!

Sep 25, 2014 5:26 pm EDT

Hi Echo216,

My name is Lynne; I’m a member of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We’d like to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Just email us at socialnetwork@orbitz.com. Please enter my name in the subject line and include the Orbitz confirmation number; we’ll investigate further. Thank you for reaching out. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer Relations

12:42 pm EDT

Orbitz - the nightmare - flight from mexico to europe

Here's a copy of an email I sent to Orbitz Customer Relations:

On July 11th, 2013, I used Orbitz.com to book a Lufthansa flight from Mexico to London, returning from Amsterdam to Los Angeles (Orbitz record locator: PBORB5636047714). The ticket number, according to Orbitz.com, is: [protected]. The flight was scheduled to depart on August 11th, 2013. I cancelled my travel plans on August 10th, 2013. On January 28th, 2014, I spoke with an Orbitz Customer Service Representative regarding this cancelled itinerary. The representative told me that I would be able to use the $1, 610.53 from the original reservation on a new reservation, provided I booked it before July 11th, 2014. The fare difference and any applicable fees would be my responsibility. On July 9th, 2014, I called Orbitz to book a new reservation using the credit from the cancelled reservation. All of my contact with Orbitz from here on is with the international booking department.
The first agent I spoke to told me her name was Skylar. She told me Orbitz had no record of my booking, and that I would have to call Lufthansa to try and use my credit. I then spoke to Svan at Lufthansa, who informed me that his company also did not have any record of my booking. I called Orbitz back and spoke to Marge, who told me she would look into the matter for me by calling Lufthansa and straightening everything out. Instead, she transferred me directly to Lufthansa and left me with agent Nazima of Lufthansa. Neither of us had any idea what had happened. Agent Nazima kindly informed me that agent Marge had done a "blind transfer, " effectively abandoning me on the line.
I then called Orbitz back and spoke to agent Hazel. Hazel informed me that I had already forfeited my flight credit and that there was nothing I could do. I asked her to transfer me to her supervisor, Logan. Logan informed me that in order to use the $1, 610.53 in credit from my original booking, I would have had to cancel, book and complete my travel plans before the date of the original departure. Not only did this not make any sense, but it directly contradicted what the Orbitz agent had told me on January 28th, 2014. Agent Logan informed me that even if an Orbitz agent had given me false information, the fact of the matter was that I had forfeited my ability to use the $1, 610.53 I had spent on my original booking. Agent Logan also informed me that this was per Lufthansa's rules and regulations. I asked agent Logan to send me a copy of the fare rules or terms and conditions of my booking. He replied that he did not have access to this information, as it had been purged along with my $1, 610.53. How he managed to inform me of the terms applying to my flight verbally, but could not send it in writing, escapes me.
On July 10th, 2014, I called Lufthansa to confirm that what agent Logan had told me regarding Lufthansa's regulations was correct. Agent Marie of Lufthansa informed me that the real reason why I couldn't rebook was because the return leg of my trip from Europe was non-negotiable and non-refundable.She provided me with ticket number 220-[protected]-29, which was different from the one Orbitz.com has saved. She advised me to contact Orbitz and seek compensation for the loss I suffered due to the inaccurate information I had been given on January 28th.

I then called Orbitz once again (at 10:04AM Pacific Time) and spoke to Vince. Vince confirmed what Lufthansa had told me. Why none of the Orbitz representatives I had spoken to before were able to verify this also escapes me. However, Vince told me that he would listen to the recording of the call I made on January 28th, and that he would call me back. Vince called me back within the hour and informed me that, because Orbitz had given me inaccurate information, I would be able to rebook using my $1, 610.53. He informed me that since the original issue date was July 19th, 2013, I would have to book and complete my new travel before July 19th, 2014. Vince was kind enough to give me a "one-time exception" and let me book travel after July 19th, 2014. I thanked Vince for his help, and told him that I would call back and rebook my travel. Vince then told me that he would notate my account, so that when I called back I would have no issues rebooking my flight. This being such a momentous occurrence, I asked if there was any way to identify him when I called back. Vince simply told me to tell Orbitz I had spoken to "Vince."
I called Orbitz back at 8:29PM, Pacific Time, and spoke to Jasmine. Jasmine informed me that my flight credit was forfeited. She could not find any notes on my account, she found no record of my call from earlier that day, and she did not know who Vince was. She then placed me on hold while she contacted Lufthansa. Like agent Marge from the day before, agent Jasmine also did a "blind transfer, " and abandoned me on the line with a pleasant Lufthansa agent. It pains me to say that I had to hang up on this Lufthansa agent.
I immediately called Orbitz back and spoke to Stacy. Agent Stacy was a bit more helpful. She also informed me that I had forfeited my credit, but she was willing to look for evidence of my call with Vince. If Orbitz had indeed given me inaccurate information, she said, I would be compensated. After another one of Orbitz's obscenely long holds, agent Stacy informed me that she could not find any record of my call with Vince from earlier that day. She told me that she would forward this to the Orbitz Technical Department, and that I would receive a call or email within 24 hours. Not wanting to lose track of this gem of an agent, I asked for any identifying information. Agent Stacy is the first Orbitz agent to give me her employee number: 062404. Why nobody else would give me this number continues to elude me.
If I can salvage any of the $1, 610.53, that would help ease the pain some. I don't know what you can offer to an abused customer, but I hope that at least you can reply and explain to me if I am in the wrong. Do not hesitate to call or write back with any questions. Thank you very much for your time.
--------

It is my hope to spare another poor soul from falling into the hellhole that is traveling with Orbitz. I will post updates as they occur.

2:38 am EDT

Orbitz - orbitz - the nightmare

Sent to Orbitz Customer Relations:
I then called Orbitz back and spoke to agent Hazel. Hazel informed me that I had already forfeited my flight credit and that there was nothing I could do. I asked her to transfer me to her supervisor, Logan. Logan informed me that in order to use the $1, 610.53 in credit from my original booking, I would have had to cancel, book and complete my travel plans before the date of the original departure. I was a year too late by now. Not only did this not make any sense, but it directly contradicted what the Orbitz agent had told me on January 28th, 2014. Agent Logan informed me that even if an Orbitz agent had given me false information, the fact of the matter was that I had forfeited my ability to use the $1, 610.53 I had spent on my original booking. Agent Logan also informed me that this was per Lufthansa's rules and regulations. I asked agent Logan to send me a copy of the fare rules or terms and conditions of my booking. He replied that he did not have access to this information, as it had been purged along with my $1, 610.53. How he managed to inform me of the terms applying to my flight verbally, but could not send it in writing, escapes me.
I called Orbitz back at 8:29PM, Pacific Time, and spoke to Jasmine. Jasmine informed me that my flight credit was forfeited. She could not find any notes on my account, she found no record of my call from earlier that day, and she did not know who Vince was. She then placed me on hold while she contacted Lufthansa. Like agent Marge from the day before, agent Jasmine also did a "blind transfer, " and abandoned me on the line with a pleasant but oblivious Lufthansa agent.
I considered waiting, but I'm sure you can agree that this is beyond ridiculous. I suspect that, given the chance, Orbitz might place me on hold until July 19th, 2014, and then say I'm out of time. I do hope you can help me resolve this issue before then, because my head really hurts now. If you are unable to do so, could you perhaps direct me to someone who could? The BBB has notified me that it may take up to a month to resolve my issue through them.
I also thought it might be a good idea to record my conversations with the agents, to avoid misunderstandings in the future. Seeing as the Orbitz representatives I spoke to can't seem to keep track of what goes on in our phone calls, I am more than willing to provide you with the recordings if need be. They're quite hilarious.
------------
Fingers crossed.

M
6:06 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Orbitz - bait and switch on airfare

Was booking airline tickets on Orbitz after entering all information and went to pay website says those tickets no longer available so had to choose a more expensive ticket. Tried to purchase more expensive tickets and was informed those tickets were no longer available and needed to choose even more expensive ticket. Closed website and went to Travelocity and booked original tickets that I first wanted. Will never use ORBITZ again.

Jan 28, 2014 10:09 am EST

Hi,

My name is Sarah, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We want to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Please email us at socialnetwork@orbitz.com and enter my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.

Sarah

L
1:37 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Orbitz - sold me invalid ticket

Dear Complaints Board,
I am writing, because Orbitz - on-line travel company not answering, evaded responsibility for their false ticket. The pursuit of profit some companies create intricate techniques like Orbitz. I am using online service about 15 years and have never seen such deception: Orbitz sell false tickets under the guise of error, because they are “non refundable”.
They sold me obviously invalid ticket! No one will write two first names instead of the name and surname, but they did it. I clearly wrote first name and surname, checked it several times, because the ticket is not refundable and I'm not a millionaire! But ticket suddenly popped up with 2 first names without any preview. They sold me obviously invalid ticket! How could this happen? This is possible only because of system failure or they have roguish group, which engaged in computer frauds (we are not so stupid to see it…). Later I found a lot of evidence for this. Orbitz made a fool of the person allegedly computer failure, forcing him to pay twice for the same tickets and departed from responsibility.
Orbitz stole my money from Visa-card without providing me right product. No companies usually take the money from Visa-card without preview. I buy a lot online and always before taking out a payment from Visa-card the companies show preview and only then you press the button for payment. But in Orbitz was nothing of it! Honest companies as Vayama, Expedia, Budgetair, Rayanair etc. besides preview even sent a copy of the ticket for my e-mail, asked to check data and confirm, or have on-line options to make correction, changes before check in (for non refundable tickets also). But Orbitz absolutely not have such kind of service; just quickly grab money. So it looks like Orbitz stole my money from Visa-card without providing me right product.
A very suspicious is that they can't correct their fault. And was a very difficult to contact them, because no contact addresses were presented even after ticket issue (why hide, if there honest work?). But I managed to find it through other sites and Facebook. I wrote to the company many times in hope that they will correct the error. They long tormented me, demanded a numerous ringing for which I also had to pay, someone promised me refund, but nothing did, and then disappeared at all …. When I came into the Internet to find their postal address, at once I saw lots of complaints against Orbitz, in one website were 692(!). Company deceived not only me, they practice in it often. Really nothing can be made with this roguish company?
Dear Complaints Board, please take measures and make something against games with trust of people! Orbitz must to reconsider the system, check the people on honesty and include preview function as all companies working on- line, to be able to correct the errors, to provide contact addresses (an e-mail and addresses of offices) as it is done by others. And certainly Orbitz must return me money which they took from my Visa-Card for their false ticket! Airline Ticket Number: [protected] Electronic. Orbitz record locator: PBORB0212548124. Thank you!
Sincerely yours,
Leila Rakhimzhanova

Jan 28, 2014 11:21 am EST

Hi,

My name is Sarah, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We’ve reviewed this complaint and will be responding to you via the email address associated with your Orbitz account.

Sarah

J
10:15 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Orbitz - reservation for abandoned hotel

Our family has used Orbitz.com several times in the last 8 years. We booked a room in Sedona, AZ for our 15th Anniversary. We show up at the Inn to check-in to find a VACANT office. The reviews on Orbitz were decent, so this was a HUGE surprise. We called the number to the Inn(listed on my Orbitz reservation email). It was disconnected. My husband saw a note on one of the windows: If no one is in the office, use phone to call XXX-XXX-XXXX. There was NO PHONE! There was only a jack, where the phone was connected. So, we called this number as well-also disconnected.

Finally, We reached someone at Orbitz. Over an hour and a half on hold with several people, "researching" the Inn. They basically told us they were not at fault. When businesses close, they are required to contact Orbitz. We finally were escalated to the point of cancellation with no fee. Really? That goes without saying! We asked to be placed in another hotel. We were told we'd have to pay a $200 difference since the 3 remaining hotels in Sedona were at the Hyatt. They would not discount the room at all. The call was escalated again. The "Manager" based in Phillipines, decided he would give us a $100 rebate. We agreed as we were stranded on our Anniversary. We were transferred back to book a room, only to be told they were gone.

Oct 06, 2013 10:20 pm EDT

Check-in date for hotel was 10/5/13

2 comments
Oct 07, 2013 2:37 pm EDT

Hi Julie R,
My name is Lynne, I’m a member of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. I’m sorry to hear about this issue. If you’d please email us at socialnetwork@orbitz.com and include your Orbitz Confirmation #, we’ll be able to investigate further.

Oct 07, 2013 12:43 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Always book direct with the hotel. If you book through a third party then you deserve all the grief you get. Did you even read the terms and conditions? It's all spelled out for you. You got nothing to complain about.

M
5:39 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I continue to get Orbitz' incessant, annoying, asinine promo E-mails daily. Orbitz "unsubscribe", "contact us", "customer service" buttons do absolutely nothing. I had been a long time Orbitz customer but all future travel plans will be through Travelocity, Expedia, Kayak, anyone but Orbitz.

H
6:21 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Orbitz - deficient services / fraud / over charging / incompetent management and staff

Through this complaint we wish to highlight the irregularities, cheating, fraud, and deficient services provided by Orbitz Corporate & Leisure Travels (I) Pvt. Ltd, through its Director – Mr. Rupen Vikamsey, Chief Relationship Officer / Tour Coordination Person – Col. Shashidharan VSM, Mr. Vikram Singh and Others.
Brief background : We had booked our trip to Hong Kong, Schenzen & Macau through Orbitz Corporate & Leisure Travels (I) Pvt. Ltd., in the month of February 2012. Orbitz in turn had sub contracted the entire tour to another agent in Hong Kong Matadi Travel Co. Ltd.
The following instances highlight why travellers should avoid travelling through such unscrupulous companies and while travelling to Hong Kong be really careful since the Hong Kong tourism board will offer no protection / safeguards to International tourists who are cheated / their safety is at stake and inconvenienced to the extent of complete disregards for the health of Senior Citizens travelling.
The attitude of Hong Kong Tourism is completely non Senior Citizen Friendly. Word of advice, if travelling with seniors, Hong Kong is best avoided unless you are sure of
1) Though we had asked wheel chair request for one senior travelling in the group no arrangement was made by Orbitz with the airlines. It was left to us to make the arrangements with the airlines

2) Though we had requested vehicles (we had booked private vehicles and hence had a right to demand the type of vehicle) to be of low height (ideally a car instead of a 10 seater minivan which we were given every time since the travel company had only two vehicles) due to inability of the senior citizens to climb in and out of the car. The travel company and its driver were so insensitive they would stand outside the vehicle and laugh at the problem but refused to get another vehicle for the remaining part of our trip in spite of being told of this from Mumbai while booking and at the Airport and every sightseeing trip.

3) Though Senior Citizens are given discounts at most travel places, the Travel Companies never passed the benefit to us and pocketed the amounts themselves. This is absolutely cheating and fraud, and in spite of proof being shown to Hong Kong tourism, they have been unable to take any action.

4) Though we had paid for private transfers, instead of providing it, the travel companies put us midway through into a public bus citing that cars are not allowed beyond a point in Lantau Islands. The fact is you need a special permit vehicle to enter lantau, which they did not have. So in spite of taking money for private transfers they dropped us midway. They did not reduce / refund or adjust the Seat in coach charges taken from us when we opted for the private transfer (this change was done in Mumbai well before leaving) and the cable charge amount (the cable car was not working). The private transfer given to us only for 40% of the Journey was 3 times what would be charged by a public Taxi or private transfers provided to us locally. This is outright cheating.

5) To save on entry / parking charges for vehicles at Disneyland, the private transfer we had taken, dropped us nearly a kilometre and a half away from where wheel chair assistance could be taken. In spite of the knowing the condition of the senior in the group, they were heartless and made the senior walk all the way upto the wheel chair assistance, this despite disney’s fame of having facilities for Senior’s and differently abled assistance.

6) Though we paid for first class travel from Hong Kong to Schenzen, the travel company forced us to travel second class. (This is when we have written confirmation of first class travel in our vouchers).

7) The biggest fraud committed by the travel companies is of the Shenzhen(China) Visa. We repeatedly asked them for the Visa’s from Mumbai, however Orbitz kept insisting the visa’s would be given to us in Hong Kong. At Hong Kong Mata Di kept insisting that Visa would be given at Shenzhen. On arrival at the Shenzhen being totally confused (since no guide was with us through our journey from Hong Kong to Shenzhen) the seniors were stuck in the “No Man’s land” when the only adult in the group went to find the person who was supposed to come with the Visa. After a harrowing time and some convincing the Custom’s / Security officials, after lot of nerve racking experience we were finally allowed to enter Shenzhen. The company to save on the courier costs of getting the Visa’s to Hong Kong made us go through this harrowing experience and probably at the cost of our safety as well. All of this to save a small amount. Shows how low they can stoop and compromise on travellers safety.

8) At Shenzhen we were made to waste our time and visit local handicraft store for forceful shopping stating that it is mandatory for every traveller entering Shenzhen to visit the handicraft store (which they claimed was owned by the government) for endorsing the Visa, an utterly lie which we came to know later. Also the travel guide refused to hand over our Visa copy before leaving Shenzhen (though we are entitled to keep a copy all throughout, which he never gave), only when we gave him a tip, he parted with the document. As Shenzhen Visa’s are not stamped on the passports, when you arrive at another port (Macau) you have no proof you are coming from Shenzhen if you do not have these Visa copy.

9) Travel companies changes Macau itinerary on our reaching the Macau hotel. Instead of the tour starting from our hotel, they called us to the Macau port. On our protesting and refusal to move out of the hotel, they make up a reduced city tour from our hotel. Give us lunch at 3:00 PM in the afternoon after making us shuttling between restaurants at two different location 30 minutes apart. Finally we had lunch when the restaurant was closing and they served us what was remaining. This is after paying a high premium for the entire tour and the hotel stay.

10) Orbitz kept changing the itinerary till the last minute. We got certain things promised to us just as we were leaving our home for airport. Four hours before we were to board. Their knowledge of international destination is woefully inadequate. Despite asking certain things in writing, they fib that we did not understand the difference and try and put the onus to understand on us. When we requested to go up the Macau towers they said we would have to pay US $ 20 extra at the destination. After making part payment they claim that we will have to take another separate tour for Macau tower if we want to go up. In the tour they just take us till the bottom, and will not wait for us if we wish to go to the top. This clarification could have been made earlier as well, but to cheat us they lied. Then to cover up, they again lied, that hotel provides free coach till the tower (which was again a lie).

11) Does Orbitz really have qualified staff? They took out our travel insurance without following any proper procedure and the best part, it was to expire while we were in Air. On our protesting they changed it. This is coming of a travel company that claims to be expert in Trade fairs, business meetings and corporate events. I shudder what kind of knowledge they really have.

12) The travel co-ordinators have no knowledge absolutely of how International tours are to be arranged and keep going back and forth to their agents and senior colleagues, thereby increasing communication gap at the cost and detrimental to interests of the traveller.

What amazed us was that the Hong Kong Tourism board cites its inability to take any action against the errant tour operator. To rub salt into the wounds it infact support Orbitz in marketing Hong Kong as a business / Meetings destination. How can they promote when they cannot assure the safety, interest of the traveller. If they cannot assure international travellers of fair treatment do they really have a right to promote and that too the same firm which indulges in malpractices.

Urge fellow travellers to be abundantly cautious before engaging services of such companies and before travelling to Hong Kong.

After the unfortunate incident we searched the internet and came across a host of frauds committed by Orbitz Corporate & Leisure Travels (I) Pvt. Ltd.

a) Complaint by another aggrieved customer

b) Consumer Court order against Orbitz filed by anther customer

c) Trademark violations / trying to gain business by exploiting trademark of another company

d) Complaints on a facebook page

e) https://twitter.com/consumeractive/status/321930209643335681/photo/1

View 0 more photos
Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Thank you for sharing this experience.
It's especially important to note the "Trademark Infringement" portion of your concern.
The company referred to in the complaint is “Orbitz Corporate & Leisure Travels (I) Pvt Ltd" which is headquartered in Mumbai, India.
However, Orbitz Worldwide Inc. is a corporation headquartered in the United States. The Orbitz.com URL is http://www.orbitz.com/
The two organizations are completely separate and share no affiliation whatsoever.
Thank you for shedding light on this concern.
Customer Relations –Chicago, IL