Orbitz / Orbitz access America insurance scam

I recently used Orbitz to book 2 essentially identical trips from my home in Colorado to Vancouver, CAN. On the first occasion I then promptly received an email from some insurance company called AccessAmerica informing me of the details of my new insurance coverage WHICH I DID NOT RECALL ORDERING! So I called AccessAmerica and canceled the coverage. The second time this same thing occurred I realized that for certain that I had not selected insurance coverage, but I received it again regardless. Upon calling customer service and asking to speak with a supervisor, I was told that the Orbitz website selects the insurance coverage for me and that Orbitz's position is that it is my responsibility to unselect the insurance option. Needless to say I will never again use Orbitz as my travel services provider due to this fraudulent and misleading marketing tactic.

Comments

• Wi
      17th of Nov, 2008

Access America insurance's business plan is to get out of every claim possible. They do not provide you with the fine print they claim exists. The make a fortune because the charges are small enough that you cannot sue them.

A class action with the thousands of unsatisfied customers is the only way to solve the problem.

When they deemed that I could not substantiate my claim within their rules, the closed out the claim as being resolve.

They are crooks by design.

• Er
      25th of Mar, 2009

I agree...Access America will make every attempt possible to get out of all claims. I would love to know the percentage of claims that they actually pay out, as I would guess it is very close to zero. The 22-page policy which lists exceptions that they say prevent them from being able to pay the claim is sent after you book your trip, so it is completely useless. There is basically an exception for everything. Regardless of the fact that we had to cancel our trip for a covered reason, they said they couldn't pay our claim because of an exception, which wasn't true, but since we didn't have the right kind of paperwork they refused to pay our claim. In my opinion, Access America operates on the business model of paying out zero claims, which the expectation that consumers will not follow through and take action against them.

• Kr
      30th of Mar, 2009

Actually, the terms and conditions for each policy is available BEFOFRE you purchase the policy, on the website it is being offered from. It is your job, as the purchaser, to view what you are buying BEFORE you buy it. If you choose to purchase a policy before reading the terms and conditions, you are the only one to blame for the lack of knowledge regarding the insurance. If you have questions regarding your policy, they are opened 24/7 so you can call to get any clarification needed. Why would you ever buy something before knowing what you are purchasing? Does that sound smart to you?

• Cr
      11th of Jul, 2009

I too was very sure I had unselected the prechecked insurance option from Access America on Orbitz and then found the $154.00 charge on my credit card after returning from our trip. Needless to say they were not helpful.

• Dw
      5th of Aug, 2009

Yes, same story as above. IF YOU DON'T CANCEL AFTER 10 DAYS OF RECEIVING THE EMAIL NOTIFICATION YOU CAN NOT CANCEL WITHOUT DISPUTING THE CREDIT CARD CLAIM OR SUBMITTING A REQUEST TO SALES. I HAVEN'T SUBMITTED MY REQUEST YET, BUT I WILL KEEP THIS WEBSITE INFORMED OF MY PROGRESS!

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE...BEWARE OF ORBITZ AND THEIR BUSINESS POLICIES!

• Jm
      7th of Nov, 2009

My mother-in-law had been diagnosed with lung cancer in May 2009, with a dire prognosis of only 6-9 months to live. She'd been doing pretty well, any medical concerns she'd had were unrelated to that disease but due to issues with her diabetes. We had the need to purchase a flight and thought "just to be sure" we ought to cover ourselves with the trip cancellation insurance offered through Orbitz and provided by Access America. The flight was relatively inexpensive ($138), with the cost of insurance a little over 10% of that @ $15. This seemed like a reasonable ratio given the situation.

We did receive the policy, and I have to confess I did not read it thoroughly (thus the warning here to save others from this issue.) In any regard, several days days after I bought the plane ticket, my mother-in-law came down with pneumonia. Within 48 hours she was admitted to hospice care and passed away.
    I submitted the claim, assuming that it would be covered since at the time of purchase we were of the mind that we were very likely looking at another 2-5 months. The claim was denied based on the fact that this was a pre-existing condition.

I understand that it was my responsibility to fully read the policy. The agent I spoke with explained that the reason the cost of the plan was so affordable (10%+) was to cover events like getting hit by a bus, sudden on-set illnesses, etc. I happen to disagree that this is affordable in relation to the odds associated with completely unknown instances. I am not likely to assume I have a 1 in 10 chance of getting hit by a bus, etc; to me, the relative cost is exorbitant given the odds that something completely unforeseen and unavoidable would happen. I will not make the mistake of purchasing the insurance again!

We each need to make up our own minds as to what makes sense to us, I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the potential nuance to this type of policy.

• Er
      12th of Nov, 2009

I cancelled a flight booked with Orbitz when I realized I was being billed for insurance unless I deselected the insurance coverage button. Weirdly, although Orbitz cancelled the flight the insurance was not cancelled, and by the time I discovered this the 10 days from their seemingly redundant confirmation email had passed, so I couldn't cancel.

So in order not to get stuck paying for coverage you never intended to buy you have to notice several things:

1. That it has been charged to you whether you wanted it or not.
    2. That is has not been cancelled even though you cancelled the original flight
    3. That you have no more than ten days to cancel it yourself.

Caveat Emptor, certainly, but why would a company make it so hard for customers to realize that they will have to pay for insurance they do not know they are buying? Wouldn't customers treated this way think this is very very close to a scam?

7th of Mar, 2010

This was my first time using Orbitz and I was caught by the insurance scam as well. They automatically ordered the Insurance for me on my credit card, claiming that I knowingly selected it. There is no invoice for that insurance, no receipt, nothing that Orbitz will send you about that insurance. It just showed up on my credit card. When I called to find out about it, they said that it was over 10 days and will not refund the money. I have not taken the trip yet and they still won't refund the money. They don't care if there is no proof of purchase, they said that it is our responsibility to cancel the insurance the minute we see it charged.
    Isn't it illegal to charge a credit card without proof of purchase? They claim that they have sent out emails, informing me that I bought insurance . . . but that is not proof of purchase.
    If anyone is taking a class action against such business, I will be interested. I do not think this is right business practice.

14th of Dec, 2010

Yet another sucker for Access America. I purchased an international flight round trip ticket through Orbitz and did purchase the insurance just in case anything happen. Well things happen and had to cancel my flight for a valid reason stated in the policy they sent me. Access America recently sent me a letter stating my claim was denied and said the exclusion to the policy state as such. I told them I never got any exlcusions to the policy. The rep basically send you're screwed and you won't be able to get your $1700.00 ticket refund back. I swear, from this day fourth, I will never use Orbitz, or Access America again. They are bunch of criminals doing business in a shady way making money. If they come your way...run! Total scam business.

• Em
      22nd of Jul, 2011

Access America biggest SCAM ever.

Told me they will not refund me my 800 dollar flight cost. because get this... a clogged ear is a pre existing condition for a brain tumor. I had brain surgery, and because my first appointment with the ENT for a clogged ear was 120 days before my flight departure it voids my policy. So now, not only am I laid up on disability, 2 disappointed children, I lose 800 dollars on a limited income. Who could possibly fly with 2 children to disney after brain surgery. ***DO NOT DEAL WITH ACCESS AMERICA****

• Aa
      2nd of Aug, 2011

Hi Emily,
    Access America's Help Team here. It sounds like you've had a frustrating time, and I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

While I don’t yet know all the specifics of your case, it does sound like the change in your travel plans was related to a medical condition that you were having symptoms of, and being treated for, before you purchased the insurance.

Like any type of insurance, there are terms, conditions, and limitations that impact coverage. Coverage for existing medical conditions is excluded from many of our travel insurance policies. We provide a list of covered reasons for trip cancellation and interruption in the policy, as well as a list of general and specific exclusions which we strongly encourage all customers to review when they receive it. And we offer a 10-day free look, with the opportunity to cancel the policy at no cost if it doesn't meet your needs. Please see our FAQs: http://bit.ly/b4T45T, or email us at helpteam@accessamerica.com if you’d like us to look into your case.

• 22
      17th of Jan, 2012

Its the illusion of value because they cover VERY LITTLE. I had a passport issue and had to cancel my flight. It falls under this extensive list of 90% of ### that actually happens to people they will not cover.

Its my own fault but buyer beware.