Nicor Advanced Energy / Misleading/Overcharging Billing

Nicor Advanced Energy
Nicor Advanced Energy sends misleading bills so that the consumer has no idea what they are paying and to whom. After several months of consistant bills of $80, the December bill was $300. The bill was based off an estimated read, so we requested an actual. We were told by the operator to wait until new read to pay bill. After read, we got a bill for usage since estimated read. We asked for bill showing last actual to current actual to verify. When we received that bill, it was paid in full and received on 10Mar09. On 17Mar09, letter sent saying we still owed $250 by 28Mar09 or service cut off. On same day, received new bill saying only $90 past due and that another estimated read was performed, adding $350 to the bill. Bills do not show past billing, only current, you have no idea where billing is coming from, where it gets paid to: no way to directly link usage to amount paid. Also, charged $100 late fee for unpaid balance after operator said to wait. When asking to cancel, told it is $20 per month until end of contract. We have a brand new house that was constructed to be energy efficient and we know we are paying too much. From $80/month to $300/month, and we are trapped unless we pay $140.

A  10th of Apr, 2009 by
You should report this company to the attorney general’s office. I have a similar complaint against them too!
Please spread the word
N  29th of Jun, 2009 by
charging 180 dollars for wrong account number but still went to nicor company
N  24th of Aug, 2009 by
I totally agree, my situation is that i moved from my home last nov, the thermostat was set at 55 allwinter long. i called nicor advcd energy for a refund. the man informed me that i wasnt eligible for one due to the locked in amount of 150.83. i informed him that the house has been empty and that i wasnt using anything near the amount of 150.83. i informed him that if he went and bought groceries, paid for them and walked out of the market without them, would he satisfied? why should i be paying for something i havent recvd? he talked in circles stating it wasnt the same. just another case of senior citizen rip offs. i plan on filing my case with the attoney generals office. i was further informed that if i cancell it would cost me 300.00. my contract with these yahoos expires sept 23 09
N  23rd of Mar, 2010 by
I have had 2 occasions of mis-billing. Payments should be taken out of my bank, and the bill clearly states this. Then I received a statement saying I was delinquent, had a late pay fee and owed for 2 months. After waiting on the phone to talk to some one (where I heard the message, dont hang up, you are important to us repeatedly) I was told I had stopped using the bank for payments. Wrong! I paid over the phone, using a credit card. Then my bank statement came through, and Nicor had deducted my bill 3 times. I did insist they send me a check, and not apply the amount to future bills, which they did. But this latest bill, had included the past due amount which had been waived. In talking to the nice gal who fielded my questions, she came up with a different way of accounting for my bill, and insisted the extra money tacked on the bill made sense. I think it should not be too hard to send out a bill that made sense to the person paying it. I don't like the idea of paying a bill on faith that the consultant 'd numbers are right, and mine are not. Is this too much to ask, or too difficult to accomplish?

Nicor Gas Logo Nicor Gas