Mcdonalds / scam and stealing

I went to McDonalds drive-thru on my lunch break to buy 2 'dollar menu' double cheeseburgers and a large drink. After paying what I thought was correct at $3.33, I found that I only had one burger. I looked at the items on my receipt (not the item price yet) and found that I was only charged for one burger. I went inside and bought the second dollar item. The single dollar menu item cost me $1.40.

When I looked over both receipts I found I was charged $1.29 for each dollar menu burger plus a 'Take Out Tax' which was equal to California sales tax. Out the door I paid $4.73 for two dollar menu items and a drink.

I searched online for a take-out tax, both national and state I only found articles specifically on take out tax related to McDonalds. Other articles mentioned proposed 2% taxes on fast food. I can't find any information on an official take-out tax in California, so As a former die-hard Big Mac fan, I will not be eating at McDonalds any longer. People shouldn't have to spend their valuable time researching why a dollar item doesn't cost a dollar. I will be doing more research, In these economic times, I am watching every penny.

Gu

Comments

• Sh
      18th of Mar, 2009

Now that the "McDouble" is featured on the Dollar Menu at McDonalds, it is being confused with the "Double Cheeseburger". If you, as a customer, ask for a Double Cheeseburger- you are going to be charged for a Double Cheeseburger. That is about $1.29 (give or take. depends on the franchise and the demographic)

You can be in the drive-thru, staring at that delicious-looking picture of what appears to be a Double-Cheeseburger (2 patties of meat with a slice of cheese in between) advertised for $1...and you are looking at the "McDouble", but if you don't ask for the "McDouble" you are going to get the other one- and pay 29 cents more for another slice of cheese.
    As for the "Take Out Tax"-
    The registers at McDonalds have 2 different "Total" keys. The one that is used depends on whether the customers is going to eat there or go. It determines how your order is prepared. You will either get a tray or a bag. It is for that purpose only. If you order your meal to stay (or "eat in") you will see an "eat-in" tax on your reciept. The tax is the same either way.

• Jm
      1st of Nov, 2009

First of all, you mentioned you ordered a large soda, this is not a dollar menu item. If you wanted to eat on the dollar-menu item you should have ordered a small soda, otherwise you might as well get a value meal. Secondly, the "take out tax" is just the sales tax. "Take out tax" is just what they label the sales tax as on drive-thru receipts. Next time you dine in take a look at the receipt and you will see it is labeled as "Dine in tax."