Maytag Atlantis Washer / stopped working

1 137 Hill AvenueSylacauga, AL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 256-510-6654

My mother has a Maytag Atlantis Washer and so do I. About 3-4 months ago, her washer (after working semi-perfectly) just quit. Last night, I was loading it, and it just quit. Ours has always had a problem with the lid, you have to push on it to keep it running, but last night, we pushed and checked everything, would not start! Please help!

Comments

18th of Jan, 2008

Have same washing machine for three years,

NOTHING BUT HEADACHES AND PROBLEMS.

• Ro
      21st of Jun, 2008

I have an Atlantis washer and dryer and have had nothing but problems with the washer.
    Motor went out, switch on the lid went out twice. Valve went out. Motor went out, transmission went out. Belt needed replacing. Black soot came out of the bottom. I took out a warranty but still has been an inconvenience.

I think that a class action suite needs to be brought against Maytag or Woolpool who bought Maytag out.

Rosemary

• Vi
      6th of Aug, 2008

I have a maytag atlantis washer sitting in my garage. The repair people told me it wasn't worth fixing. It is a transmission problem. This problem arose after it was out of warranty. This is my second maytag atlantis washer. The first one broke within the first year and they replaced it with this one that's sitting in my garage that looks like brand new with the stainless steel wash tub. I feel maytag should have recalled this and paid for repairs at least. I paid over $600.00 for this p.o.s. I think there should be a class action suite agaianst whirlpool or maytag or whoever is responsible for creating this washer out of various parts from different companies. Thanks for listening . Vicky

• Bo
      23rd of Sep, 2008

I also have the same washer and from what I understand alot of these washers have the same problem and are all braking down around the same time. Besides fixing the led switch, Ours will wash clothes and will drain the water but the tub will not spin to remove excess water from the clothes. We spent $600.00 for ours also thinking it would last along time, but I guess as the comsumer we were wrong again. There should be a recall or Maytag should be paying the bill to get these fixed. You know this might make the lonely Maytag repairman unlonely and keep him busy but he surely won't make any friends.
    Bo

• Ka
      27th of Oct, 2008

I have the Maytag Atlantis washer and dryer. They replaced my dryer after one year since they couldn't fix the numerous problems with it. The washer completely wore out after 2 years and they rebuilt it under the extended warrenty I took out. Now less then a year later it is wore out AGAIN!!! Definitly unhappy.

10th of Dec, 2009

I to have a Maytag Atlantis which we purchased just for years ago. However, we have had no problems with the washer to this point. I washed clothes two weeks ago and then last week while I was at the hospital with my daughter my husband called and asked me what was wrong with the washer. I said nothing so he called for the repair man who came and looked at it for a fee. Said he couldn't fix it so he left came back because he felt bad he couldn't fix it and looked at it again and said it was not worth fixing as it was the transmission and it would cost almost $400.00 to fix it. I can purchase a washing machine at Home Depot right now for $289.00 plus tax. Hmmmm what would you do. I think it is crazy that they make the parts so badly priced. I am so upset. I have always dealt with Maytag and there is always problems with them. I will never purchase a Maytag anything again.
    Very Very disappointed!

21st of Mar, 2011

I have one. Basically when this happens there is a little piece of plastic under the lid of the top loader that turns the blasted thing to cycle when the lid is closed. This little piece of plastic is cheap & gets loose. What I did is got some twisty ties (that I got free from some trash bags) & shoved them under this plastic piece so that it did not have any give. I then duct taped the twisty ties to the lid. This did the trick & keeps my washer running. Every once & awhile I need to replace the twisty ties. This is a cheaper option then buying a new washer. Hey they make these things to fail. All they had to do was put a firmer plastic piece under the lid & these things would have run a much longer life span. Luckily for me I didn't pay for this as my mother & law gave it to us when they moved. Hope that helps somebody!