Maytag / horrible company!

AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-688-9900
Maytag is a horrible company!! On july 28, 2004, I purchased a maytag neptune top load washing machine, model no. Fav6800aww for $999.00. Today, february 29, 2008, the washing machine is worthless! After one or two washes where the load balance sensor kept tripping and turning the machine off we had an authorized maytag repairman come to fix the machine. He advised that the washer drum, clutch and balance sensor had to be replaced at a cost $822.00. The repairman also advised that it was not worth fixing and to throw it away. He further advised that they have received a lot of calls regarding problems with the maytag neptune washer and that he has seen the same problems over and over when the machines reach an age of approximately four years. The repairman stated that since I purchased the machine maytag has changed the major parts at least twice making the parts hard to find and very expensive.

I contacted maytag with the naïve hope that they would stand behind their product. What a fool I was. When I spoke with the first customer service representative she advised that there were no “quality control” issues with the model. She also implied that the repairman was lying about problems with maytag neptune and that repair technicians often lie about quality control issues during service calls. However, she was sympathetic to my problem and made the generous offer of a 10% discount on the purchase of a new maytag product. I advised that it was unacceptable and asked to speak with a supervisor. A few minutes later she advised the supervisor was on the other line and increased the offer to 15% discount. Given the age of the washing machine I asked for a 50% discount and was cheerfully declined. I spoke with maytag supervisor of customer service ryan tibbett. I explained why the repair was too costly and asked that they send someone out to repair the machine for a reasonable price; $100 to $200). Mr. Ryan explained that maytag does not have repair people (So much for the lonely maytag repairman) and would have to contract with a private company and the cost would be no different for him. As an alternative, I asked that he make arrangements to send replacement and I would pay to have them installed. Mr. Ryan advised that it was not possible for maytag to provide the parts. I told mr. Ryan that after our last washing machine (Not a maytag) which lasted from 1990 to 2004 failed we thought we were buying a top-of-the-line washing machine, which was one of the most expensive washers on the market. I asked mr. Ryan if maytag was going to stand behind their product. Mr. Ryan advised that maytag does stand behind their product for 1 year. Mr. Ryan then explained about the one year warranty. When I express my dissatisfaction with the results, mr. Ryan told me that nothing I say will change the outcome, an offer of 15% discount on a new maytag product. I asked if I could speak to his supervisor and he said no that there is no one else in the company that I could speak to. I asked if he could speak to maytag corporate headquarters on my behalf and he advised me that he was a representative from headquarters and the 15% discount was a headquarters decision. I told mr. Ryan that I would be making complaints regarding his product and he again told me “nothing will change the outcome”.

So hear I am making the first of many complaints about maytag. Long story short: do not buy maytag – horrible products – horrible company!!

Based on the complaints I have read about the neptune dryer is sounds as though my dryer’s days are also numbered.

Comments

Da
  11th of Mar, 2008
I really appreciate your posting. My Maytag, same as yours, has refused to start its spin cycle for the past 4 loads. It was balking more and more before that. Thanks for saving me the frustration of dealing with Maytag. Why would I want a 15% discount from a manufacturer who consistently fails to make a high quality product? I'll be shopping for a new washer but I'll walk right on by anything from Maytag or Whirlpool (Maytag's corporate owner).

Maytag Logo Maytag