MagicJack / does not work as advertised

1 KY, United States Review updated:

Worked fine for the 1st month and a half. Overnight, it stopped working. Their website is as difficult to navigate as Walmarts'. It took me 30 minutes to find a Customer Chat line. I was disconnected from the chatline on 4 different occassions and spoke with 8 agents over a nine hour period. The piece of crap still doesn't work. No one of their end seems to know what their doing and everyone you talk to wants to walk you thru the same nine hundred steps wiping other software off your computer (that they say is incompatible with magicJack - funny thing it worked for over a month with that same software on my machine). The product is great in theory and useless in practice. If you threaten one of their agents by saying you're going to use some other voip service, they'll disconnect you. There is NO actual phone number to call and you can tell by their dialect, their "agents" are not American. Which, in and of itself, is most likely half the problem. Take my advice folks - keep your 39.95 and use it to pay for 3 months of quality Vonage service. The only magic this jack has is the works one minute - broke the next magic!

Do

Comments

• Un
      20th of Feb, 2010

Magic Jack sucks!!! I tried to hook it up and it just wouldn't work from the start. what a waste of time and money. They need to stop their ads on t.v and stop selling their product every where for false advertising

• Ro
      5th of Feb, 2013

Yes, I most definitely agree! I have the magicjack plus for one month now and have had to contact an agent 4 times. The agents were not able to help and I had to request for a supervisor that understood my problem. On one occasion, an agent went into my computer, shut down my firewall, installed a driver and I have to have my computer worked on to fix a problem with drivers after that session. I don't know what happened, but I had more problems after that. I have had dropped calls, too many to count, and have had to restart magicjack more times than I can count. Yes, it might be really inexpensive to operate, but this is no excuse for the amount of trouble it has caused. I have already had to have another adapter sent to me and the agent I spoke with about this stated this is a common problem with the adapter and the adapter can be replaced free just one time. I wished I had researched this further before I purchased the magicjack plus. I could have stayed with my cell phone for 4 more months at the purchase price paid which was $70 dollars and time spent on chat which I will never get back. DISCOURAGED!!!