Having problems with MagicJack?

MagicJack reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jun 1, 2008. The latest review Pathetic useless and scummy service was posted on Oct 12, 2021. The latest complaint magicjack go was resolved on Oct 15, 2017. MagicJack has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 285 reviews. MagicJack has resolved 152 complaints.

MagicJack Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 624 4252 (Customer Care)
+1 844 866 2442 (Billing Inquires - Within the US or Canada)
+1 561 594 9925 (Billing Inquires - Outside the US or Canada)
PO Box 6785
West Palm Beach, Florida
United States - 33405-6785

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with MagicJack Customer Service. Initial MagicJack complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for MagicJack above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about MagicJack. Discuss the issues you have had with MagicJack and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

MagicJack Complaints & Reviews, Page 14

MagicJackstolen money from my bank account

unauthorized order of MagicJack. I was told the order was cancelled, then I received the product. I refused it and put it in a mailbox. They took $133.75 from my checking account.

I have been trying to speak with someone, but have not been successful. The company has a "chat" window and they are no help at all. If you try to get information, they will not give it or disconnect the chat.

This has been going on for 22 days I want this issue resolved.

2 Responses
      Compainant Mar 31, 2011

I got ripped off as well. Talked to the agents, they just disconnet. Anyone know of a way to reach someone in that unethical company called magicjack?

Mars Nov 20, 2008

Regarding this Magic Jack nonsense...I got scammed just like the rest of you...product doesn't work, and having trouble trying to contact them. So what can I do next please help?

MagicJacktheft and fraud

One of the biggest scams/ripoffs I have encountered. They have my item that I returned, was told a refund had been issued, BUT WAS NOT!!! Now, their website is NON functional as far as contacting customer Service.

7 Responses
      • Al
        Altha Francois May 03, 2012

Good evening, I'm Altha Francois, my number is [protected], my service has been expired since 4/22/2012, I paid on 4/24/2012 and you never renew my subcription. My order number is: TS18786813. I don't know what to do. Since this date I couldn't do any call. Please see how you can help me in this matter!

• Gl
        Glenn Dwayne Powell Nov 29, 2011

i also had magic jack on my creit card twice around the same time of the year i got my money back from my bank but now worried for the future how getting my information
        Dwayne Powell

Telecommunications
        Current CFO at YMax Corp
        Education Pace University - Lubin School of Business
        Connections 0 connections
        Public Profile http://www.linkedin.com/pub/peter-russo/5/82b/167Caller ID: [protected]

As of 10-14-2009 this info is accurate.. I myself called Peter Russo's number and it states his name.. he is the CFO for this company
        Ymax Communications Corp

Exchange: [protected]
        City: west palm beach
        State: Florida
        County: palm beach
        ZIP Code: 33470, 33411, 33410, 33403, 33415, 33430, 33436, 33445, 33454, 33458, 33460, 33461, 33462, 33467, 33406
        Local Date/Time: October 14, 2009 04:48:21 PM COT
        Phone Carrier: nextel communications, inc.

his is the owners of the building that ymax works out of.. fell free to send them hate mail
        Daniel M Borislow
        1045 S Ocean Blvd

Palm Beach, FL [protected]

Age: 45-49
        Household: Michele L Borislow

• Dg
        dghjdfhgjgfh Jun 01, 2009

I just ordered one of these and the add said, no charge til the 31st day after you receive it.
        Then bang ... $46.90 shows on my statement within 4 hours.
        First thing tomorrow I'm going to warm up a few ears.

• Mo
        mothergoose Dec 11, 2008

My advice...given after learning the hard way...is to go to the BBB firs. If you have been scammed go to;
        www.ic3.gov
        this is the federal Internet fraud and crime division
        FILE A REPORT

[protected] Billing
        Dan Borislow Owner

• Mo
        mothergoose Dec 11, 2008

After three horrid days of phone rage and Internet quagmire I finally decided to report these yahoos.
        I called the BBB and found out the company has an F rating and well over 800 other complaint that are not resolved.
        I called the Attorney General and was told to try this web site.
        www.ic3.gov
        This is a federal website that traces Internet crimes and fraud.

Company address is -
        Magic Jack
        5700 Georgie Ave
        West Palm Beach, Fl. 33405

[protected] # France
        [protected] #bank
        [protected] #billing
        Dan Borislow owner

If enough customers that have been victimized report to the proper authorities these bungee bunnies will finally meet the cement.

• Cl
        C.L.Matthews Sep 28, 2008

Fraud- Rip-Off--Scam--don't waste your time or money. If the device was any good they would give a 90 day money back deal.

Majicjackmajicjack doesn't work with a mac

Straight out lie. Majicjack doesn't work with a mac as claim.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Stela'

Stela: Hello, how may I help you?

jay: can I upgrade my device to be compatible with a mac?

jay: My device only works with windows. The telephone pad doesn't show up when I connect it to a mac

Stela: Yes but the MAC's upgrade link is not yet available as of this moment since our engineers are working for the enhancement on that upgrade. Please rest assured that MAC's upgrade link will be availabe as soon as possible,

Stela: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

jay: Then why make a claim that it's compatible when it's not? why does Kari Hernandez, your P.R. person make claims on every website and say that it works. You guys are deceiving people and stealing money

Stela: Only compatible with Intel-based Macs with OS Versions:

Stela: 10.4.10 (must have Kernel 8.10.3 or higher)

Stela: 10.4.11 and higher

Stela: 11.0 and higher

jay: I bought the device thinking that It was ok to purchase a mac. Now I just wastes 1200 dollars.

jay: I have all those. My mac is brand new

jay: Java is standard and installed

Stela: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Elle'

jay: You guys spend all this money on marketing and forget to actually make a good product

Elle: Hello.

jay: is there any software upgrade availble to work with a mac pc?

jay: or software that I can dowload to my hardware?

Elle: MagicJack is not best to use with Mac, there are some features that you cannot apply with this OS.

jay: thanks, can I get a refund then

jay: Kari Hernandez stated that it would work on a few websites in January 2008. Your website says it works. I bought mine in April.

jay: She is your pr marketing person

Elle: MagicJack will work with Mac but it will not work all the time and besides there are some features that you cannot apply with this OS.

Elle: You cannot return the product and have a refund since you are not under the trial period.

jay: MajicJack doesn't work 100% with a mac. You guys are decieving people. It's a straight out lie. I will report your company as fraud to your state attoney's office then. Good luck dealing with that

Elle: I respect your decision.

jay: ok. I will add you guys here. http://www.complaintsboard.com

3 Responses
          Maria RamosPerales Nov 02, 2019

Me estuve comunicando con ustedes 10/24/2019 porque hize un pago de un ano para el service del numero: [protected]. Lo cual no he podido usar para hacer llamada solamente recibo desde 10/24/2019. Necesito por favor que se comuniquen conmigo al [protected] en espanol. Agradesco su pronta comunicacion .

• Gi
          Gil Tabin Feb 16, 2009

the audio sound terrible

• Bi
          billie selman Sep 29, 2008

a week ago i ordered a magicjack with 3 day delivery. gave them my visa card. where is the product.? also i have a
          mac as well. there was no way to inquire ahead.if it was compatible. i want this cancelled out and my visa credited, they seem to be dishonest. i might try again if they will make them selves availble thrugh the several custmary ways one reaches a mnfg co live

MagicJack.com — faulty service

The MagicJack does not work as advertised. I have had the device for several weeks and spent numerous hour...

MagicJack.com — magicjack order

I impulsively ordered a magicjack after seeing it advertised online via cnet, pcmagazine and cbs news but...

MagicJackno refunds, customer service, address, phone

The only way to contact MagicJack is through a live chat in their website. Then you get to speak to non-English speaking Indians, who put you on hold for 15 minutes at a time while they "Research your record" and give you the runaround. I've had it happen three times when trying to get a refund for the MagicJack I returned, and have been told each time that they would email me within 3 days telling me when I would get my return. It's been three months and it's never happened. They lie, lie, lie!! The quality of my USB was poor, with scratchy sound. I got a return authorization number and returned it within two weeks. the wait began. That was in May 2008. It's now August, and I have spent three hours on the phone getting the runaround, but no refund. So I turned them in to my state Attorney General's office.

• Ca
            Cat Oct 28, 2008

My MJ worked fine at home. I bought one so I could use long distance at work at my desk. It did not work on my Dell desk computer. I spent HOURS on "live chat" with people who either could not understand English or just blew me off, because they would reply with some off the wall instruction. Finally, one tech told me to change all my internet protocols. Well, that totally crashed the computer and destroyed my internet connection. Again, I tried to to get a tech to help. When I told them that my cojmputer was crashed with no internet, they kept telling me to use the "upgrade" link on their website. Again, I wrote, THE COMPUTER IS CRASHED WITH NO INTERNET! How can I upgrade. Now I have to have technicians from our central office to come out to repair my computer, and I'll probably get into trouble for having "unauthorized" equipment. This is TERRIBLE customer service. Vonage gives much better phone service, but their Live Chats are almost as bad (but not quite).

MagicJackfalse calling claims

i purchased the magic jack jack and was pleased until i realized a landline calling me in the same area code will be charged long distance unless they have the same prefix as me!! example 321-420 and 321-783 if the numbers after the area code don't match the person calling you pays long distance!! please there are different prefixes withing the same city from house to house. this is not stated in the FAQ. Magicjack states this regarding incoming calls "If your magicJack phone number is in the same area code as your friends and family they are not charged long distance to call your magicJack phone number. If they are in a different area code, they are subject to the rates their phone company would charge for calling the area code your magicJack is registered with."

I did a live chat with magicjack and their solution was "why don't you just call your mom and she will not be charged" are you kidding me, so now i am supposed to call all the people i know everyday to see if they want to speak with me. This is insane and total blatant misrepresentation by this company. I want to get this out and not sure how. This is a first step and they have that damn infomercial. incredible

2 Responses
            • Rc
              rcwiss Oct 18, 2010

I have to agree. I found out as well that I couldn't get a prefix that was local for my customers to call me. Since my plan was to use this as a business phone you can imagine that it didn't work out for me. Hopefully I can get a refund and be on to something else. If not I guess I will return here and add some more information on my experience with them. Wish me luck and buyer beware with the rest of Magic Jack... I wonder how long it will be until I get a letter in the mail regarding a class action law suite related to this problem.

• Mj
              MJUser Aug 24, 2008

MagicJack can't determain which call is local or long distance. Your local phone carrier determins it. The message in MagicJack website is misleading. But I learnt long ago before I use MagicJack that always check your local carrier before you call someone within the same area code. To make things worse, in some cases it is not charged as long distance, but reginal call, which is more expensive than long distance.

Before I choose my MJ number, I checked with Verizon to make sure the number I choose is local for me. My MJ number is actually in a different area code from my home number, but VZ tells me it is local. And it is.

MagicJack — product not working cannot reach support

past four days after independent troubleshhoting and live chat page appears stating magicjack unable to...

MagicJackcontinuous emails about voicemail msgs

I RECEIVED MAJICJACK ABOUT MARCH 25, 2008. THE FIRST PROBLEM WAS IT WOULD NOT INSTALL ON MY DELL DESKTOP COMPUTER. SO, TO MAKE SURE THE PRODUCT WASN'T FAULTY, I TRIED TO INSTALL IT ON MY LAPTOP. LO AND BEHOLD MAJICJACK WAS ABLE TO INSTALL ON MY LAPTOP COMPUTER. THE PROBLEM WITH THAT WAS I COULDN'T ALLOW MAJICJACK TO STAY CONNECTED TO THE LAPTOP BECAUSE THE LAPTOP WAS CONSTANTLY MOBILE. I TRIED THE TECH LINE AND COULD NOT GET IT RESOLVED. THEREFORE, I RETURNED THE MAJICJACK WITHIN THE 30 DAY TIME FRAME ALLOTTED. I CONTINUE TO GET EMAILS STATING I HAVE RECEIVED VOICEMAIL MESSAGES AS LONG AS 41 MINUTES. I COULD THIS BE WHEN I NO LONGER HAVE A MAJICJACK AND GUESS WHAT THERE IS NO ONE TO CONTACT. MAJICJACK ARE YOU LISTENING OUT THERE CUT MY SERVICES OFF. I NO LONGER HAVE YOUR PRODUCT. THANK YOU.

Respond

MagicJackawful, awful, awful

I purchased a MagicJack and plugged it in and it worked fine for about 6 months and then it started messing up. I could not dial out from my phone anymore. Sometimes I could not receive calls. So I started reading all the knowledge stuff on their website. Then after about 3 hours I found out how to chat with a live person, the put me thru about 2 hours worth of testing. then i gave up. Then I tried the same thing about 2 weeks later the same thing happened 2 hours worth of test, and down loads and unplugging and replugging and so on and so forth, again I gave up. Finally tonight I went thru all of that again and so far i am at about 3 hours. They finally told me they would not refund my money or replace the unit. So I will be at my bank on Friday getting my money back cause I purchased using my debit card and I know I will get my money back from the bank and visa. Then I will file complaints at my State Secretary of State, Federal Communication Company, Better Business Bureau, State Utility Public Service Commission and anyone else who will listen. I might not get a new MagicJack but will spread some JACK and it will be MAGIC! I might not make a big splash but I will feel better that someone is getting warned about this crappy company. It should be called CrappyJack!

• En
                  Endless Majicjack Voicemail Aug 16, 2008

I totally agree with you. Something needs to be done. This should not be happening. There should be an official complaint department with this company. Let us know the results. We all may need to take the same measures that you are doing to get a resolve.

MagicJack — horrible customer service

I purchased a Magicjack in July of 2008 and it never worked properly. I spent countless hours of my valuable...

Majic Jack — rip off

Majic Jack is a rip off. Same as other complaints. However, it jacked up my internet access altogether. It...

MagicJackconsistent disconnect, poor audio

We purchased a five year service with magicjack on the internet for $100.00, and thought it was a great deal. We did not look into complaints, our fault. MagicJack did not wait 30 days before accessing our credit card and retrieving the $100.00. Soon after we had the device, we noticed we lost our connection every time our daughter was on XBox 360 live, or we would hear echoes on the line. Not good. Of course we would go to the "Live chat" and try to resolve these issues, only to discover the "Live chat" would keep repeating the same questions over and over and having us "Up date" and unplug and plug in the device over and over... Today was the last straw! Now I simply want to warn people NOT to purchase this product, and call Shenanigans!!!

Here is the last "Live chat" I had this afternoon, I wish to share it with everyone:

" Please wait for a site operator to respond.
                You are now chatting with 'Cathy'
                Cathy: Hello, how may I help you?
                John Lavigne: may I please have a mailing address to this company, regarding a customer complaint?
                John Lavigne: address*
                John Lavigne: Corp. office?
                Cathy: Hello John.
                John Lavigne: not John
                John Lavigne: his wife
                John Lavigne: John had to leave
                John Lavigne: but we digress...
                Cathy: Okay, I'm sorry.
                John Lavigne: will this be a problem Cathy?
                Cathy: May I know what is your specific issue?
                John Lavigne: we can not use other online equipment at the same time we are using the magicjack, via Xbox 360 online for example
                John Lavigne: John has already gone through this and there is no live chat solutions...
                John Lavigne: we should be able to be online with Xbox and use the magicjack at the same time, , but magicjack disconnects when my daughter is on Xbox live, every time
                Cathy: MagicJack requires a specific sped bandwidth.
                John Lavigne: we are cable
                John Lavigne: cable speed
                John Lavigne: ???
                Cathy: Please make sure that you have that speed so that magicJack will work.
                John Lavigne: I am not lying to you Cathy
                John Lavigne: we have cable speed...
                Cathy: Okay
                John Lavigne: may I just have a physical address to corp. please... this is useless.
                Cathy: http://speedtest.net
                John Lavigne: will this be a problem Cathy?
                Cathy: Please check your speed on that link.
                John Lavigne: will you provide me with an address or not?
                John Lavigne: our speed is lightning cathy
                John Lavigne: please do not waist my time
                Cathy: We do not have mailing address for complaint.
                John Lavigne: scandalous
                John Lavigne: thank you for your time... I will print this out and share it with other' on the web."

Thank you for your time and this website.

Sincerely,
                Donna.

3 Responses
                  • Ro
                    RoboRoi Feb 12, 2011

Did you check your ISP connection? Go to www.pingtest.net and www.speedtest.net
                    I solved my MagicJack crummy audio problem by upgrading my Internet connection speed, although for the extra $20/mo to go from 1 MBS to 8 MBS I could get the cheapest land line service available from AT&T, which works even if my PC or internet connection fail
                    What did you expect for $20/yr? The same service you get from AT&T for $40/month? What a surprise huh?

• Gu
                    guzz Nov 12, 2009

I woulnd't blame MJ for that, you should try with QoS configuration with your router MJ uses ports 5060 and 5070, you know your XBox is probably eating a lot of the bandwith, with QoS you can reserve some of that exclusively for the MJ, set the priority for MJ to medium or high. And yeah they have a terrible customer support but you can go to the unnoficial forum here http://www.magicjacksupport.com/ you can find answers for many problems there and if you don't find your answer you can always ask.

Jay Aug 26, 2008

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Stela'

Stela: Hello, how may I help you?

jay: can I upgrade my device to be compatible with a mac?

Stela: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Stela: Only compatible with Intel-based Macs with OS Versions:

Stela: 10.4.10 (must have Kernel 8.10.3 or higher)

Stela: 10.4.11 and higher

Stela: 11.0 and higher

jay: I have all those. My mac is brand new

jay: Java is standard and installed

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Elle'

Elle: Hello.

jay: is there any software upgrade availble to work with a mac pc?

jay: or software that I can dowload to my hardware?

jay: thanks, can I get a refund then

jay: She is your pr marketing person

Elle: I respect your decision.

MagicJack30 day free trial???

WE ALSO RAN INTO THE 30 DAY FREE TRIAL QUESTION AND WERE TOLD IT STARTED THE DAY OF THE PURCHASE...WELL, WE ORDERED THE NIGHT OF THE 24 BUT IT WAS AFTER MIDNIGHT SO IT WAS REALLY THE 25 AND WE WERE TO BE BILLED ON THE 24 OF AUGUST 2008 ACCORDING TO THERE CONFIRMATION EMAIL… I THEN CHATTED WITH A PERSON GOD KNOWS WHERE AND WAS TOLD IT WAS COMPANY POLICY...
                  CHATTED BECAUSE THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBER AVAILABLE…

I HAVE SUBMITTED A COMPLAINT TO THE NJ DIVISION OF CONSUMER PROTECTION ABOUT THIS…I SUGGEST EVERYONE DO THE SAME WHERE EVER YOU LIVE…THERE IS NO 30 DAY IF IT TAKES 6 TO 10 DAYS ???

I ASKED IF THEY TRACK AND WHAT IF IT IS NOT RECEIVED HOW CAN ANY ONE PROVE ANYTHING OF SHIPMENT OR RECEIVING GOT NO ANSWER…VERY QUESTIONABLE PRACTICE SEEM TO INDICATE SCAM EVERY WHERE YOU READ…

WE ALSO READ SEVERAL REVIEWS…

WE CANCELED THE 26 OF JULY 2008… SHE CLAIMS WE WILL RECEIVE IN 24 HOURS A CANCELLATION NOTICE VIA EMAIL…I WILL WAIT AND SEE…BUT WILL CALL THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO MAKE SURE IT HAPPENS…

BUYER BE WARE WE ALL NEED TO COMMUNICATE COMPLAIN SUCH INFORMATION ON THE WEB TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE…

ALWAYS VOICE YOUR SELF IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO STOP ANY PRACTICE SUCH AS THIS…

TO MANY QUESTIONABLE ISSUES…

THANK GOD FOR A WEB SITE LIKE THIS ! ! !

Margot Kerr Sep 18, 2008

I ordered 2 majic jacks, but changed my mind and send it back because I haerd from a friend, he heard that is a scam. False advertising!!! I got my credit card statement today and they charged me the amount of $90.75 I can;t get back to them. The phone #on my statement was phony. I wish somebody would sue the SOB;s They still have the comercial on TV

MagicJackdo not use it

Magikjack works only for a few days. After I got "error broken storage" message and both my MJ phone and my voice mail stopped working. Customer - no service is almost impossible to reach. You just keep chasing the icon "talk to live person" and it takes you to an other pop up window. What's worse my voice mail stopped working and nobody can answer to the ad I have paid for. If you need a toy buy it but do not use as contact for business. If you ever have heard of Sun Rocket MJ is worse than that. Only cheaper.

5 Responses
                      • Me
                        mehow Mar 24, 2011

There customer service is TERRIBLE and magic jack works infrequently godd to use and then have forwarded to your cell phone

• Av
                        avinash vasudevan Jun 01, 2009

ACTUALLY I LIKE MAGICJACK IT WORKED WELL FOR ME AND WORKS IN LAPTOP VISTA

• Av
                        avinash vasudevan Jun 01, 2009

hello i had my windows reinstalled now my mj is not working i have gone through all these solutions now can i safely format my magic, can i copy the file mjusbsp from my laptop and install in the desktop or should i delete all files mjusbsp/folder and format then use upgrade.is it safe to format mj which works in my laptop/vista please help me i need it to work on my desk top

• St
                        Steven McCurry Apr 19, 2009

I had the same problem, but MagicJack reps helped me thru it.

Here's the fix...

*************************************************

March 15th, 2009

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
                        You are now chatting with 'Rick'
                        Rick: Hello, how may I help you?
                        Steven McCurry: I was just chatting with Jezabell and was cut off. Can I get back?
                        Rick: I apologize but we can't get back anymore... I can transfer you to a higher level of support though...
                        Steven McCurry: My MagicJack is broken and I'm seeking replacement. She was taking me thru error checking checklist and we were up to Computer Management and me telling her that I had access to the following: Open, Explore, Change drive letter and path, Format, Properties and Help.
                        Rick: Okay.
                        Rick: One moment please...
                        Rick: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.
                        Steven McCurry: Thanks
                        Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
                        You are now chatting with 'Melina'
                        Melina: Hello Steven
                        Steven McCurry: Hello
                        Melina: May I know when this issue started?
                        Steven McCurry: 3 days ago?
                        Melina: Please click on your Start button > RUN > type diskmgmt.msc and press OK.
                        Steven McCurry: done
                        Melina: At Disk Management window scroll down to bottom and look for a Removable disk, Grayed out or Unallocated drive with 18 MB or 16 MB capacity
                        Steven McCurry: Done
                        Melina: Right click that drive then give me the options in the drop-down menu.
                        Steven McCurry: open, explore, change drive letter & path, format, properties & help
                        Melina: Can you click on Format?
                        Steven McCurry: yes
                        Melina: Okay.,
                        Melina: Please click on it.
                        Steven McCurry: Okay I did...
                        Melina: Can you see the dial pad now?
                        Steven McCurry: No... "Warning: You must plug into USB"
                        Melina: Okay.
                        Melina: Please unplug your magicJack. Now go to “Start” in Windows and click on “Run”. In there write regedit and press enter.
                        Steven McCurry: Done
                        Melina: Now click on + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE.
                        Melina: Click on + sign next to SYSTEM
                        Melina: Click on + sign next to CurrentControlSet
                        Melina: Click on + sign next to Enum
                        Steven McCurry: done
                        Melina: Now find the folder called USB. Right click on that and click on “Permissions”. In permissions click on the check mark called “Allow” to the right of “Full Control”. Click OK.
                        Steven McCurry: done
                        Melina: Now click on + sign next to USB and then find the two folders called “Vid1307”, right click on one at a time and select delete.
                        Steven McCurry: Done have a folder called "Vid1307"
                        Melina: right click on one at a time and select delete.
                        Melina: If you don't have that folder you may proceed. Now click on - Sign next to USB.
                        Melina:
                        Steven McCurry: Typo - I Don't have that "Vid1307" - Sorry
                        Melina: Okay.
                        Melina: Please proceed.
                        Steven McCurry: Now click on - Sign next to USB. ???? I don't understand this request.
                        Melina: Now click on - the sign next to USB
                        Melina: Now click on - the sign next to USB
                        Steven McCurry: Okay - I understand now. Done
                        Melina: Right click on Folder called USBSTOR and allow permissions.
                        Steven McCurry: Okay
                        Melina: Now click on + sign next to USBSTOR.
                        Steven McCurry: Okay
                        Melina: Find the folders called “CdRom&Ven_YMAX&Prod_magicJack&Rev” and “Disk&Ven_YMAX&Prod_magicJack&Rev”.
                        Steven McCurry: Okay
                        Melina: Right click on those one at a time and delete them and exit RegEdit and plug your magicJack back.
                        Steven McCurry: Done. "Warning: You must plug MagicJack into USB" again.
                        Melina: Plug in your magicJack. Now right click on “My computer” and select “Manage”. In there click on “Disk Management”. On the right side you should among other things see two drives. One is called “magicJack” and the other is called either “Phone” or “Vista Only”.
                        Steven McCurry: Done. I show a MagicJack and a removable 18 mb
                        Melina: First, right click on the one called “magicJack” and then select “Change Drive Letters and Paths”. In there select “Change” and then use the scroll down menu to select “X”. Click OK, you will get a pop up asking you to confirm then press “YES”.
                        Melina: Now do the same thing with the drive called “Phone” or “Vista Only”. Name that one “Y”.
                        Steven McCurry: Done
                        Melina: Now exit “Device Manager” and then unplug your magicJack. Restart your computer and when you are up and running again, plug in your magicJack.
                        Steven McCurry: Okay, but I'll loose you... Thank you
                        Melina: You're welcome. It's my pleasure to assist you.
                        Melina: Don't worry our chats are recorded.
                        Steven McCurry: Thanks!
                        Melina: They can review this and you wont have to go all over the same fixes you already have.
                        Melina: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!
                        Steven McCurry: You were wonderful! I hope it works.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
                        You are now chatting with 'Samantha'
                        Samantha: Hello, how may I help you?
                        Samantha: Hi Steven
                        Steven McCurry: Hello Samantha, My MagicJack still does not work...
                        Samantha: Okay Steven
                        Samantha: Is your magicjack plugged in right now?
                        Steven McCurry: Yes
                        Samantha: Okay
                        Samantha: Is the dial pad up?
                        Steven McCurry: No, all I get is "Error Broken Storage" and " Warning: Must be plugged into a USB"
                        Samantha: Okay Steven
                        Samantha: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade (applicable for both XP & Vista):
                        Samantha: http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe
                        Steven McCurry: Done: "Error Broken Storage"
                        Samantha: May I know the operating system that you are using?
                        Steven McCurry: Yes - Windows XP
                        Samantha: Please go to my computer Steven and locate the two magicjack drives
                        Steven McCurry: done
                        Samantha: May I know what are those drives?
                        Steven McCurry: X and Y
                        Samantha: Okay
                        Samantha: Please unplug your magicJack and take note of the two drives that will disappear
                        Steven McCurry: Done - X & Y disappeared
                        Samantha: Okay
                        Samantha: Please plug in your magicjack and right click those drives
                        Samantha: then locate the option that says "format"
                        Steven McCurry: Done
                        Samantha: Did you click on "format"?
                        Steven McCurry: I will now...
                        Steven McCurry: Done
                        Samantha: Once you have completed format please right click the other drive
                        Samantha: Then click the option that says "start magicjack"
                        Steven McCurry: It came up! Pad, phone number & 911 working.
                        Samantha: Great
                        Samantha: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
                        Steven McCurry: Bless you Samantha! Have a wonderful day!
                        Samantha: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!
                        Samantha: Thanks Steven, Bless you too
                        Samantha: Take Care
                        Samantha: Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!

• Ri
                        rita Sep 19, 2008

This thing is a piece of junk. I bought 2 and it worked for 3 days now the computer does not work that it was hooked up to about 9 months ago. I'm sorry i bought this and also had my friends buy one. I want to cancel the charge for next year asap but I know you never get any answers or information. Please DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on this product.

MagicJackwon't refund for unusable product

I am posting this on as many sites as possible in the hope they will be effective in getting this company’s attention. If Magic Jack straightens up its act, I have kept track of where I posted and I will rescind my current post. For now, here goes: Do NOT buy the Magic Jack (MJ). I bought a product because of a TV ad (something I rarely do) because the product was supposedly backed by some high-profile companies and TV stations one would normally trust, somewhat. I also thought I could help my budget and save nearly $1, 000 a year by getting away from AT&T phone service. By the way, I now currently have Vonage, which costs half what I was paying for AT&T service with a few basic frills.

Right after I called and ordered those darned things, I went to the MJ website because I had an attack of hindsight (and panic). The website surely didn't tell me much. So I hooked the thing up and just as the ad said, establishing service and getting a new phone number was very fast – within five minutes, I was talking to my best friend who saw my new number on her caller ID. However, also within minutes, my phone started to make loud, weird noises, off and on. I also experienced about 10-second periods of dead air space as I was talking to my friend. I thought she had hung up, but yet not. I also had this sense that I was hearing “other voices” on my phone while I was talking with her. (That’s not something I currently have with Vonage.)

As I began to realize that this product wasn’t going to work well for me, my friend and I also realized that my PC would have to be on, non-stop, if I wanted to use this as a normal phone. Sadly, in my quest for a refund, I was forced to face the possibility that I, the careful, cautious one, had been scammed, even though I'm usually very careful not to get caught in something like this. I must have been having a no-brainer attack.

Anyway, here's a list of things they don't tell you until you get the thing - and some they won't tell you at all.

1. Satellite cable users can't use it. (Everyone I know has satellite. I don’t.)
                      2. Large blocks of dead air space pop up frequently.
                      3. Loud squeals occur right in the middle of conversations.
                      4. My laptop would have to stay on at at ALL times to use this as a normal phone service, as I used Vonage and AT&T.

(My definition of Normal Service: INCOMING: Calls can come in at any time and you will hear the phone ring right away. OUTGOING: You can easily pick up the phone and dial. Magic Jack service means NO service if you turn off the computer. If your computer is off and you want to make a call, you have to boot up the old ball and chain before you can call.)

5. Leaving the laptop on so their service is always running opens your computer up to hackers.
                      6. THY LIE! See my tirade below.
                      7. You will never see your money again, even if you send back the product.

They will steal your money right out of your account the day after you order their little product, even though they say they won't - until after 30 days is up. ALL LIES! Your bank won’t refund the money if you’re honest and tell them you gave permission to this company to take the money after 30 days, even though they took it too early.

I was stupid enough to buy two and they sent both in one very small package but charged me for TWO packages - duplicate shipping charges. (I wouldn’t be buying from HP or any other online vendor if they charged a separate shipping charge for every little item, I order! What if I bought five pens, for Pete’s sake?) I tried to chat my way through getting a refund for at least one of the charges, but they blew me off right along with the rest of my issues.

You can never get in touch with a live CSR (Customer Service Rep). When I realized that and finally gave into the stupidity of trying to do something, via a chat (big joke), I spent three or four 1-hour chat sessions trying to get results. In the last session, the chatter told me that accounting would be emailing me within a day or so to get my info so they could refund my money.

Never happened. It's been almost two weeks since I was told that lie. Beside! What info do they need? They TOOK my money. They have the info they need to GIVE IT BACK! I think they just string you along until you get tired of trying and give up. The chat responses to my comments were most often, a useless little, "I see". I say, NO, they don't SEE, and they don't CARE what your issue is, nor will you ever get results.

See, I realized the day I got my product that this thing wasn't going to work for me. (They had already deducted the money from my account before I got the product, by the way.) By the time those CSR’s who were chatting with me got around to considering a refund, they left me sitting for about 10 minutes, then came back and told me my 30 day trial was up. With glee, I'm sure, the CS rep kindly pointed out to me that I couldn’t get a refund because the trial was up, even though I had been trying to get this refund since the first day I received it. (The IRS is also famous for pulling this one when you need to correct an entry on your return – an adjustment that could lower your taxes.)

So, in a nutshell, you will spend endless, pointless hours trying to get your money back, but you will get absolutely nowhere. God help you if you've sent the thing back. You'll NEVER see that money, even if you follow their rules, and you'll also have no product for all that cash.

I say it again - DO NOT BUY THIS. And for those of you who think the rest of us who are dissatisfied are nuts for complaining, you are a minority. Furthermore, there is no way this company will be in business next year with the track record they have been and are creating for themselves.

The Better Business Bureau rates them with an F (as of July, 08) for very bad service and shady practices in all areas. The phone numbers listed on the BBB site for this company don’t connect you with anyone. No one returns the messages left at these numbers.

One very risky thing about this product:

As I mentioned earlier, your computer must be on at all times if you want others to call you on this phone whenever they feel the urge. If you leave your pc on all the time, a live stream of read/writes is flowing from/to your computer. Guess what that subjects the computer to? Hackers, who can also use that highway to rid you of any of your personal information, such as your bank records, tax records - business records, whatever you keep on your computer. Or do anything else they want when you aren't attending that PC so you can have this "great" little phone service.

If you leave your computer plugged in so you can receive calls as usual, you are opening up your computer to anything, by anyone, at any time. Even terrorists can "borrow" your pc's hard drive space to do their work, then jump to another fool's PC that is also logged into this service - and you'll never know it, unless the government finds what they left behind and blames you for it. NOT a good idea for any of us unless we have what amounts to a dumb terminal that is used strictly for that purpose, and no other. If you go this route, no data files whatsoever should be stored on the dummy unit used for this phone. It should not be connected to a network where it can gain access to your other computer(s) with data.

Why am I so concerned about leaving my computer up and running, with this service active at all times? If they can't get their CS right, or they can't get their refund procedure right, how the heck are they going to keep up with security, hacker-safe practices and everything else they need to get right? If they don't care how they treat their customers, what says they'll care about how safe we are?

And here's something fun to do. Check out the owner. He's had his fingers in all kinds of businesses that he's had to step out of, end, or whatever he did with them. In my book, that makes him a Jack of all Trades... Master of NONE. He seems to be no master of his latest venture, either. Too bad he used his little girl to make his product look so innocent. What a scammer he is. Maybe losing $133 isn't much to those of you who think we’re just whiners, through many hardships in my life, I've learned to appreciate the money that comes my way via my hard work. Sadly, I bought this thing to HELP me (and my daughter, who has satellite service) SAVE money - not LOSE it.

Oh! And I forgot one thing. I did make some anti-progress last time I chatted with their little CS people(?). They are willing to do one thing, now, for me. They are willing to discontinue my unused phone service for the year, for both units, but won't take back the product. So, that means I'm stuck with a useless product - with no service.

10 Responses
                        • Wa
                          Waco Texas Jun 22, 2012

Magic jack has only one thing that is easy. You can tell when they lie . Thier lips are moving. i got a magic jack plus and it cuts out. For onlyt $9.95 I can get another one that may not work. I guess they think I am the village idiot.Magic Jack can kiss where I cannot. I would tell anyone it is a scam and thier service is worthless.

Compute Nerd Apr 28, 2011

The same people that voted for Obama are the same ones now complaining and having problems with Magic Jack...

Compute Nerd Apr 28, 2011

I guess if you're ignorant and don't know how to even operate a computer you will complain about MJ..I had it for a year and have not had any problems, crystal clear conversations etc...but if you have an old computer and no DSL then you have a problem on your end and not with Magic Jack...JB in Orlando

• Mr
                          mrpilot102 Aug 17, 2010

Wow,

Your comments mirror so many of mine. I am trying to let everyone know that this thing is a piece of crap and do not buy. I see yours was in 2007...so obviously this product has not improved in the three years that has passed.

BEWARE PEOPLE, this product is horrible.

• De
                          dehddh Mar 12, 2010

I had all the same problems and more ... one of THE most disappointing and FRUSTRATING products I have ever purchased. Save yourself. Do NOT buy it!

• Pa
                          Pattycoast Sep 29, 2009

The complaints here about magic jack are creditable and truthful.

• Na
                          Navydavy Aug 13, 2009

This product does not work and it does not sound great...whomever says it does is either a liar, works for them or just likes to argue no matter what the subject is...and Jamvano1 its not whining if you pay for something and you don't get it, its holding the business' feet to the fire to get what they advertise.

• As
                          asad Mar 19, 2009

THis is actually a great product and for $40 a year it is well worth the money !!! It sounds great on incoming and outgoing calls

jamvan01 Jan 15, 2009

I have learned that public opinion about this product is mainly negative for refunds. If you have a complaint try talking to their magic jack support live customer care on their website. I sent mine back the proper way that they described on their website. I got my refund. I find acting poilte and not whining than getting rude and offensive gets me. Good luck on your refund.

ANTONIO Jul 26, 2008

DID YOU FILE A COMPLAINT WITH YOUR STATE CONSUMER RIGHTS BOARD IF NOT YOU SHOULD, I JUST DID...I ALSO POSTED AND GIVE THE SAME ADVISE ON MY POSTING...PEOPLE SHOULD DO AS YOU IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO STOP THIS TYPE OF PRACTICE...GOOD LUCK

MagicJack — scam

THIS COMPANY SCAMMED CUSTOMER. NEVER PAY WITH YOUR DEBIT CARD OR ELSE YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK. HERE IS THE LINK...

MagicJackmagicjack investigated for fraud and unlawful billing

lots of complaints about billing fraud. but check these guys out

www.doylelowther.com/investigations/magicjack.html

FINALLY!! Someone trying to go after these guys.

good luck.

• El
                            ella oliver Aug 01, 2008

I TRY THE MAGICJACK AND IT DIDN, T WORK I RETURN IT AND THEY STILL BILL MY BANK ACCOUNT I JUST FINISH TRYING TO GET IT BACK BY TALKING LIVE TO ONE OF THERE SALEMAN.THEY WILL NOT TALK TO ME LIVE ANY MORE. I AM NOT GOING TO STOP UNITEL THEY GIVE ME MY FEFUND.

MagicJack — false advertising and money cheaters

I purchased 2 magicjack's that I saw on television around I think last week of June'08 because...

MagicJack — doesn't work with dsl as promised

Magic Jack does not have a customer service rep when you call, they try to force you to order on their...