LG Refrigerator / anyone who bought an lg refrigerator has run into this problem

1 Canada Review updated:

Last September, I thought I was buying the most expensive appliance in my lifetime and that I would love it. Sorry to say, that was not a reality. The freezer which is supposed to be frost-free has not been working as a frost-free. I had made calls to the dealer TOM'S APPLIANCE, Grand Ave., Chatham, Ontario and in March one of their employees came and took a look at the problem. He said he will tell the owner of the shop and the repairman, and then he left. One month later still heard nothing from them so I called the store and left a message with the owner's wife. She said she would speak with Mike who had come and seen the problem. Three or four days later, still had not heard from anyone. I stopped by the store and spoke with the owner's wife, personally, and she told me she had left Mike a note, which she showed me, and it had a note on it that they were going to do something about it the next day. Eventually, Paul, a serviceman, came and supposedly adjusted some hose and said that that might fix it. He chopped away at the ice in and around the bottom and helped me clean all the broken ice. Two months later I call them again to let them know that the problem is not solved. This is now July and I don't know what to do. I am wondering if I should ask them to replace the refrigerator as I obviously got a lemon, but I just can't make lemonade with it.

I am wondering if anyone who bought an LG Refrigerator has run into this problem. I know of someone who had bought another brand and had a similar problem with a brand new item. They did change the thermostat for them and it was fixed.

The dealer told me they had never heard of my problem before, so they don't know how to repair it. I can't even open the ice cube drawer because of the ice forming around it. It's frustrating on a hot day when I can't get an ice cube from my fridge freezer. An item I paid over $1,600.00 for.

• Jtmm1960's Response, May 09, 2017

12 days not 112 wont let me edit it sry

• utsuk dutta's Response, Sep 18, 2017

my LG ac is not cooling properly and desktop monitor is not responding .I need the service of an LG authorize personnel at home.

• Aspk han's Response, Mar 14, 2018

Sir my lg g3 cat6 doesn't support 4g network .pllease help me about it.it is "kitkat"version

• Gopal Chakravorty's Response, Apr 15, 2018

LG AC not working since 1 Year No cooling, the trust has been broken .

After the company free service this problem has arrise

Comments

• Am
      19th of Feb, 2007

Do not buy an LG refrigerator. I have had bad relations with customer service, as did my appliance man and am afraid I paid for parts that I did not need to fix a solenoid problem.

I also had a frozen area in the unit. Please beware about trying to fix these items it seems they look good upfront but fail and are a bear to repair.

• Pr
      2nd of May, 2007

Ya!!! My fridge also having the same type of problem in refrigerator compartment, after 9 months of buying the refrigerator problem started. I am also suggesting that not to buy anything by brand name!!!

• Vr
      24th of Jun, 2007

I bought an LG Refrigerator 2 years before and i also have the same problem. I haven't had this problem before with other brands.

13th of Jul, 2007

LG Refrigerator water tube leaks water and damaged my hardwood floor. It also has so many defect parts. It should recall the product.

The quality of the refrigerator is very bad!

• Mi
      8th of Sep, 2018

@john liu Mine also leaked and ruined my floor 2 months after the warrany expired. What a scam. Will never by LG again, life is not good with them.

• Ge
      16th of Sep, 2018

@Michelle Haylock Calder I may have the same problem. How did you get it fixed?

• Ge
      16th of Sep, 2018

@Michelle Haylock Calder I think I have the same issue. How did you get it fixed?

26th of Sep, 2018

@john liu YES!!! DON'T BUY LG! HORRIBLE customer service and my problems with ice and water dispenser started just 2 months after I purchased it at Home Depot! I called in and first time I did I got a repair person out. Problem kept happening and so called them again. Got the run around and then they stalled me so long my warranty ran out!! I purchased an extended warranty and the LG rep sent me to the warranty company and they don't understand the problem! We have ONE repair person here that handles LG and they are thinking of quitting as they never get paid! All other repairman quit LG because of the poor service they receive from them AND not getting paid for a year or more! The product isn't worth it!!! Looks good, but that is IT! Water dispenser leaks constantly, ice maker never makes ice, and when it might, it makes four cubes for the day! Giant piece of crap!!! Paid $1, 800 for it! STAY AWAY FROM LG PRODUCTS! How they stay in business I don't know. Never had this problem with our 14 year old Kenmore!!! Should have stuck with that! NEVER AGAIN!!! I should have read all the reviews BEFORE I purchased it! Should have listened and researched better! There's too many lemons out there!

• Vi
      5th of Aug, 2007

Before two months we have purchased freeze and after seven visit of their service engineer at our house the issue is not resolved. Very bad experience about service. even after lodging complain to customer care center on 31st July nothing is done by their engineer.

vipul shah.

14th of Sep, 2007
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

LG refrigerators are very very bad. We've had nothing but problems... including the frost in the freezer. Now the freezer has quit working entirely. I wish I had googled "lg sucks" before buying.

DO NOT BUY LG PRODUCTS! My husband is going to take a sledge hammer to our practically new fridge. I'll be posting the video on youtube. Stay tuned.

• Ba
      17th of Sep, 2007

I bought an LG French door bottom mount, after 1 year I heard loud scraping noises coming from the bottom freezer. after disassembling the inner back panel I found that a "HUGE" chunk of ice formed on the electronics. It appears that the drip hose for the ice maker was leaking onto the electronics inside the back panel and began to freeze forming near the condensation fan. I defrosted the ice wiped down the wiring and reassembled the back panel as it was. I noticed that the drip hose for the ice maker has a slit in it (probably to allow for expansion and contraction) NOTE: IF YOU FIND YOUR HOSE LEAKING JUST FLIP IT SO THE SLIT IS FACING UP! This should prevent drops of water from forming at the back of the freezer.

• Be
      28th of Sep, 2007

I ran into the same problem with ice forming in the back of the freezer. It got bad enough that it blocked the vents that lead to the refrigerator compartment, so the fridge stopped working.

I called the closest appliance repair place that is an "official" LG repairer and was told that this problem is really common.

She said I was lucky the ice hadn't built up enough to damage the fan and motor in the freezer.

I was told the problem is the main board. There is a circuit board on the back of the fridge under a panel held on by 3 screws. This controls the defrost feature and everything else on the fridge. I was told they manufactured a big batch of these that were essencially defective - the defrost feature eventually just gives out.

The last digit on my board part number is "A". For the replacement part, they are now up to "J". That means they have already updated this part over a half dozen times.

I am currently fighting with LG about getting this covered under warranty. My fridge is 1&1/2 years old, and only came with a 1-year warranty (should have bought it in Canada - they get a two year warranty)

It is obviously a manufacturing defect. A circuit board has no moving parts, and is not easily accessable to damage the way a handle or hinge is. it is not a "maintenance item".

There is no reason why the board shouldn't work, and that they shouldn't replace it if it doesn't.

• Ka
      30th of Oct, 2007
    LG India - Terrible Service

Hi,
    I gave my microwave for repair to LG service centre in Noida little over couple of weeks back with problem: whenever power goes down and comes back, the microwave will either start right away or after few hours.
    They said they are going to call me with problem and estimate in 24 hrs. I had to call them up twice in two weeks and after around 10-12 days I got a response that Microwave is ready (no problem/estimate call in betweens) and a part (PCB) worth some 1070 Rs. was replaced (of course with full ONE MONTH warranty) and some 200Rs. labor charges (To put a PCB? anyways) and some tax so overall charging 1250Rs. and two weeks of microwave-less life.
    Wow!! I was so glad and happy to see a glass of water which was heated in front of me at the service centre. So I brought it back home just to find out that once I put the tray with roller in the microwave and put anything to heat it doesn't heat up (1250 Rs. for heating a glass of water??? that too not for me???)
    So I had to take it back the very next day, again assuring me a problem/estimate call in 24 hrs. Today I had to call them up after 3 days to figure out that the microwave is ready with new Magnetron (Wow!!) as the old one was not working so they replaced it (without bothering to call me for problem/estimate) for just 700Rs.
    So tomorrow I'm going to get that Microwave back (Now worth 2000Rs more) with my fingers crossed and hoping things work out this time. It's been loooooong I've cooked anything on it. And as I had become so lazy due to it, past several days had been really really hard for me :-(
    Best of luck buying a LG (life's good with LG or maybe life's gone with LG)

• Mo
      21st of Dec, 2007

I am also suffering from service given by LG.
    I really do not know wheter posting the feedback like this our our experiences or complaints really have any effect on the thick skinned managemament.
    This sites may be just to show that the management is caring and is transperant in administration.
    Enjoy the current prodct

and DO NOT BUY ANY LG APPLIANCE IN FUTURE

• Ti
      6th of May, 2008

I had persue one refrigerator from BHAVNAGAR, gujarat(INDIA)before 2.5 months, n then after within 1 month it started malfunctioning

then after 1st service i was suffering with same problem.

Then once again i given it in service still since last month i didnt get any reply from ur company about my rfgertor status.

So its my humble request to u that pls u guide me about the formalities and proper approach for complain.

regards,
    timirgandhi

• As
      6th of May, 2008
    Lg Refrigerator - SERVICE COMPLAINTS
    India

REQUEST WAS REGISTERED ON 6TH MAY'08 AT 0915HRS FOR PROBLEN IN OUR REFRIGERATOR. ITS MORE THAN 24HRS NO BODY HAS VISITED THE HOUSE TO LOOK AT OUR REQUEST NO 50600649 TILL THE TME OF SENDING THIS MAIL. IF THIS IS THE SERVICE THAN GOD WILL ONLY HELP LG COMPANY.

• Jb
      22nd of May, 2008

LG refridgerator LFX model, bottom freezer, was defective in the box and continues to be defective. LG should refund all monies that they have aquired from an over priced lemon which they know about, yet will not replace, an or issue a refund. Do Not Buy LG anything!

• Ve
      4th of Jun, 2008

Do not, do not!!! Buy any lg products. Lg does not stand behind their products, they have the worst customer service and they do not care if you have a problem with their products. I purchased an lg refrigirator lfd25860 for almost $2, 000 at best buy this was my first lgproduct and it will be my last. I have had problems with it since the first day it was delivered to my home. I have had many repair men that have been unable to fix it. I havehad problems with the freezer, with the water dispenser with the ice maker and now after a year and a half it completely broke. I came across this website looking for lg parts because no one carries the parts and my repair man now is having a hard time finding the part to try and get this lemon working. " do not buy anything lg" it will be the biggest mistake you have made, i know it was mine.

• Mc
      19th of Jun, 2008

file a complainte with the Attorney General office in you state, you paid for it when you pay your taxes.

• Jm
      11th of Jul, 2008

Our new refridg. was purchased from Sears as a Kenmore . (made by LG). We noticed television interference on the lower channels ( below 7). We have an antenna on the roof. Those with cable or satelite may not notice this. It appears as diagional rows or curves of dot throughout the picture. The interference seems to be caused by the digital electronics in the fridg. T he Sears repairman verified this and Sears is in the process of replacing it with another Kenmore made this time by Amana. We have pur fingers crossed. The new one is due today. Sears said that the first refridg. was made by LG. I called the FCC and discussed their Part 15 rules . They said that tvi is an increasing problem with refridg. The cause is all the digital electronics and poor design. We have 3 tv's on different circuits ...no matter, TVI on all.

• Sc
      7th of Aug, 2008

We have had the same type of problems. First we had the ice build-up behind the freezer against the fan. Then we find that no one fixes LG products. Well after popping a few screws and running a hair dryer for an hour I got it all defrosted and it worked great. 4 Months later now the ice maker doesn't work at all. This is a piece of junk and will be the last LG product I buy. I own rental homes for a living and we purchase used standard refrigerators for about $100 and they work great for 3-4 years then we replace them. I paid 20 times that for this crap.

• Ce
      26th of Aug, 2008

The only thing I have to say is that what ever you do make sure you stay away from LG appliances unless you do not have anything else better to do with it. In September 2007 I bought all my appliances LG, range (LRE30955) refrigerator (LFX25980) microwave (LMVM2075) and the steam washer and drier; all over $12, 000.
    Fridge: from the start I had problems with the vegetable trays, they would not come out. This part was replaced. Ten month later the water started to flow continuously from the water dispenser, my floor were ruined. LG refused to change my refrigerator, they have the worst customer support.

Rage: The front element stopped working after the first time I used it. The glass on the oven doors are not sealed so the grease from cooking falls in between; you cannot clean what falls between the two glass panels of the oven door. I call customer support and they told me that was cosmetic and was not included in their warranty.

Washer and dryer; they work fine, except that they are made of cheap plastic and it breaks easily.
    Buy KitchenAid, at least their customer support is excellent.

• Gu
      26th of Aug, 2008
    LG India - Fault not attended
    LG India
    www.in.lge.com

Our microwave oven stopped working and complaint was registered on 16-08-08. Next day technician Mr Solomon Raj came and without checking the power supply declared that pcb is faulty. He scratched the PCB and applied applied solder. He went back without repairing the microwave and without giving any feedback. My complaint no. is82302578 reg. at tel no 39010909. Thereafter I am contacting above no. daily but nobody has visited to address the complaint. Nobody is providing contact no. of senior official of LG India.

• Sh
      16th of Sep, 2008

I had problems with the LG frig not defrosting, also the motor, the computer board, the ice maker and the inside back of the frig was coming loose, I demanded a new one telling them I had a lemon, but i also had problems with the 2nd one also. the lastest and most serious is the inside lights staying on when the doors are closed, this causing all the food to warm and it melted the plastic cover, this is a fire hazard, but LG doesn't give a damm. i have written many letters, emails and contacted the BBB and LG have not called or contacted me in any way. I will continue to warn everyone NOT TO PURCHASE ANY LG PRODUCT, this includes cell phones, T.V. ect.