JC Penney / credit card

1 CT, United States Review updated:

I opened a JC Penney credit card account at the register with the promise that I could pay it immediately with my Visa card. Not only did they not charge my Visa account, but they did not send me the JC Penney credit card bill until the following month and it then had a $15. late charge and finance charges applied. I called and complained and they said they would drop the late charge. I sent in a payment minus the late charge, but they sent a bill the following month with additional late charges and finance charges. I ended up paying an addional $40. over the cost of what I bought at the store in order to dig myself out from under the accruing charges. I will never have anything to do with JC Penney again!

Comments

Cy
  14th of Aug, 2009

I also have a problem with JCP credit. I have my payments sent via bill pay with my credit union. Every month I get a lat fee and when I call I am told that they have not received my payment. I spoke with my bank and the payment has been sent and cleared my account. They have agreed to waive the late fee so far and then magically my payment is received. This month has been the final straw. It happened again. I spoke with a supervisor. I had him pull up my past payments where this happened and he saw that they indeed were received on time (the payment is electronically stamped with a time and date). He stated that I did receive a credit for the late charge. My problem is, if I had not seen that I got that charge and called about it, they would not have given me a credit. They would have kept taking my money every month for their error. The supervisor told me that it is my responsibility to monitor my account. While I agree that it is, isn't it their responsibility not to be criminals that take peoples money for their errors? How many people has this happened to? I think a class action lawsuit is in order!

Br
  15th of Dec, 2009

GE is the bank so the problem is with them now JCPENNEY!!

Br
  15th of Dec, 2009

NOT JCPENNEY

Sa
  7th of Apr, 2010

Ok, JCPenney is a retailer - GE Money Bank is the credit card company you're upset with. JCPenney sells goods and services, but they are not a credit card company so please at least know that. It's evident that you may not be fully aware of how your card & its payments work, because you don't even know who you're creditor is :/

I understand your frustration completely...BUT, first of all. We do NOT accept VISA Credit for payment - only when used as the PIN Debit option. So, if an associate tried to run it through as credit, then that error falls upon the associate. BUT there also could be an issue with how your financial institution decides to credit transactions and make payments, so I would definitely call and double-check on that.

As far as the bill goes, I'm sorry but did you honestly let that month go by and think that you just shouldn't see any type of statement? You should be receiving and REVIEWING your credit cards, bank accounts, etc. EVERY MONTH - not just when they drop in the mail, even though I do think you should get that EVERY month.

Ro
  24th of Jun, 2014

No one wishes to stand up and say yes we have bad auto pay system but the burden in on the consumer. JCP sells but will not tell you there may be payment problems with auto pay JCP PUSHES the card but bears no responsibility but you can be sure the burden is on the consumer. After almost 40 year good by JCP