JC Penney Company / unethical behavior

1 Hampton, VA, United States

I went to the JCPENNY in Hampton, Va. on 12/26/2017 to return/exchange a Christmas gift that did not fit. The gift was purchased on line at JCPenney.com. I got into the return/exchange line at the store and the store clerk that I encountered named Karen was immediately rude and stated, "this line is for returns/exchanges only." I explained to her that was the reason me being in the line. The store clerk was very rude during the entire transaction. I went on to explain that I wanted to just do an even exchange on the items. The store clerk said that it couldn't be done because I wasn't the one that purchased the items. I was confused because all I wanted was an even exchange or store credit to get the right size. She said, "all I can do is refund the money to the card it was purchased on and if you want the items, you will have to pay out of pocket for them. At this point, I was frustrated and confused as to why I couldn't get a store credit or exchange them and left the store with only the money credited back to the account that purchased them. Once I left the store, I called customer service and they instructed me to call the store and speak to the store manager. I spoke with Sabrina on the phone and she apologized for the inconvenience and told me to return to the store and she would void the transaction and let me exchange my items. I went back to the store and had another encounter with the clerk Karen. She paged the store manager and Sabrina was able to complete the transaction without any difficulty. The store clerk continued to be rude, even in the presence of her manager. I have shopped at this JC Penney many times but after this experience I will never go back. Customer service was definitely not a priority for Karen and her overall attitude made my experience very bad. I work with the public every day and while I understand that everyone has a bad day, that should not flow over to the customers.

Nu