Hotmail / stolen email account

My email account was stolen and I cannot find any place to report it. I have tried to locate a hotmail complaint or contact address and I have not been able to find one. I have called the FBI and was told to contact my local police dept. and the police dept. told me they did not have the facilities to handle Internet problems.

They told me to contact the nearest KBI Office and I did. Their Investigator was out of the office until next week.

They told me to call the Attorney General's Office. He was out too.

My family and friends are getting emails saying that "I" am stranded in London and for them to send money, $2, 200 by Western Union so I can come home. I have no way of contacting some of them as my only contact was by email and all their addresses went with the stolen account.

I cannot even find a place that I can alert other victims to the Scam that got me.

After much searching over days, I finally found this site and even it may not do me any good, maybe it might help someone else.

The Scam that got me was purported to be from "Hotmail". It said something to the fact that they were up-dating the program and in order to keep from deleting my account, they needed my email data so they could make sure that my account would not be deleted with the other "defunct" accounts.

I gave them the information and the next day when I tried to access my email no matter what I did, I could not get into my email.

Then my cousin called me to find out what was going on and told me she had received an email and its contents.

I, imediately contacted the few people whose email address I knew - to alert them.

There needs to be a place that people can contact to be able to report email scams. Most of the suggestions from Hotmail's information told me to log into my account and go to the help tab, but if your email account is gone, how can you do that? As well as to report the scam and show the proof that disappeared with your email account.

Va

Comments

• Ra
      18th of Apr, 2010

My hotmail was stolen the same as other people on this site,

I also can't find any authority to complain to,

Ray.

• Pl
      30th of Apr, 2010

Please help me.. someone stole my email account.. what should I do?

thank you.

• Wa
      21st of Jun, 2010

dear sirs,
    My name is wajdi hamdan. I am a physician working in Lebanon, i have been having a hotmail account for the past several years. My user name is [email protected] and my password was 13021970. Few days ago I received 2 or 3 e-mail notification presumably from hot mail mentioning that i need to suplement my full details i.e name and password for better quality control, so I did. few days later i satrted getting calls from the United states and other countries from friends asking whether truely I am stuck in London and in need of money because they just received an e-mail from me mentioning clearly that. I couldn't log on again to hotmail (my official e-mail whcih all my frineds and the surgical socoieties know as well as the e-journal i get on a monthly basis). So please if you can help in that regard. I already opened a new e-mail account : [email protected]
    thanks again for your help

• Sh
      2nd of Jul, 2010

To whom it may concern,
    Dear Sir,
    Please be aware that I have not requested for a password reset in my email account. I have been receiving emails from the hotmail team that I have requested for a reset in my password...
    I dont know what is happening but I havent requested for any password request.
    thank you.
    Shraya Shresha([email protected])

p.s- The fraud email address is [email protected]

• Co
      26th of Jul, 2010

MSN has no interest in resolving these problems concerning stolen accounts. I have been trying for 4 days and all I get is requests that I fill out the help form completely which is not possible because some of the needed information is only found in my stolen account other items no longer match because the thieves changed all my information. I am an attorney and think there must be a class action cause of action against microsoft in this mess somehow. Like others I relied on MSN and kept email adresses, critical emails and other data on that account and did not realize until it was hacked that I no longer had access to that information. MSN may have a legal duty to ensure that that information is made available to the true account owners and have alterante procedures in place to verify the identity of account holders. I would suggest filing complaints with the FTC and State Attorney General's Offices alledging MSN is indulging in a form of consumer fraud or outright theft in denying the true owners their private data.

• Ta
      7th of Nov, 2010

My hotmail was stolen, the same as other people on this site. My friends are getting email requesting them to send money. Now I have no access to my account and I lost all my friends addresses. How can I recover those addresses? If, like you say, you will begin charging people for using your service, then I want to close muy account. But before you close itu, I would like to recover all my friends addresses. So please help me recovering them. My new email account: [email protected]

• Li
      2nd of Dec, 2010
    Hotmail - inability to cancel previous email address
    New South Wales
    Australia

After being inundated with scam emails, my daughter Linda Joppich, cancelled her email address which was [email protected] Since then, I (and many others from her address book) receive 5 or more emails per day FROM [email protected] despite having cancelled this address. Some are offensive and have upset people in my daughters workplace as they do not realise that this address has been cancelled. PLEASE TREAT THIS AS URGENT. With thanks.

• Tr
      2nd of Dec, 2010

Linda, I don't think this is actually an issue with hotmail. This recently happened to my brother's email address (gmail); everybody on his contact list was getting some pretty ridiculous spam. After looking into it, we determined that someone was generating emails that LOOK like they are from one account even though they are sent from another. It's like sending an email from Outlook and changing the respond to address to something else. Some bot got your daughter's address (probably from someone elses' contact list) and is send spam with her email address attached. Regardless, it's a pain in the butt. My brother basically had to tell all of his contacts to block his email address and open a new account. Sorry!

• Tr
      2nd of Dec, 2010

Okay, I have no idea why my message looks like spam. Oh, the irony of that post.

• 70
      31st of Dec, 2010

My email, [email protected] was hacked a few weeks back. The hacker has sent an email to my contacts saying that I need money in London.
    Many contacts with the hotmail authorities have proved futile. It appears they are not convinced that I am the authentic user!! Therefore, my years of email records are doomed.
    Can anyone help? My password was homasm.
    Thanks and happy new year 2011.

7th of Jan, 2011

my email [email protected] I could not reach my inbox for almost 7 days

7th of Jan, 2011

I could not reach my inbox for almost 7 days till now my email is [email protected]

• Sm
      28th of Feb, 2011

Respected Sir/Madam,

Sir my Email id and password somone misused i request you sir please give me my id and my password my id is [email protected],
    and i forgotn passwoed my alternate id [email protected] so help me please.. now i have use id temporary [email protected] so please you send me any mail in this id.

Thanking you,

Raza

• Pu
      2nd of Mar, 2011
    Hotmail - Their Staggeringly Gross Incompetence
    Ireland

The treatment I've got and am still getting from the so-called Hotmail Customer Support is actually making me suicidal!
    A simple temporarily forgotten password has resulted in me being locked out of my very important primary account for 2 weeks, and counting!
    Because my account has been blocked due to too many incorrect passwords being entered, last week, I cannot now login with my now remembered password.
    I have pleaded with them at least a million times to unblock my account so that I may login with my password but they have stubbornly and consistently refused to act!
    By choosing Hotmail in the first place, I am ultimately responsible for the whole Kafkaesque nightmare I now find myself in.
    For two weeks now I've been telling them how vitally important it is that I finally regain access to what is my personal property but I may as well talk to brick walls for all the assistance I've got, to date.
    Their incompetence I've encountered too is truly staggering!
    And I'm no closer to a resolution now than I was a fortnight ago!
    I would sternly advise anyone setting up an email account for the first time to absolutely avoid Hotmail like the plague it is!
    I can guarantee them that they will curse the day they chose Hotmail.
    I've been cursing my choice of email provider for a very long fortnight!

• Po
      3rd of Mar, 2011

You should never depend on a free service whole-heartedly. You should back up your information and keep a side email account for safety. Finally, you should write down your password and keep it at home. I enjoy hotmail, as it has served me well. However, I have back up accounts and any pressing or important information is backed-up and directed to multiple addresses.

"I firmly believe now that there is some kind of criminal conspiracy afoot and that there are actual criminals involved with Hotmail Support."
    You sound like an idiot here. It's a free service. Get over yourself and take some responsibility for your contribution.

21st of Mar, 2011

The same exact thing happened to me i get a message from the hotmail team saying that i needed to update my info or i would lose my hotmail acct. i started to fill the stuff out and got tired and quit half way threw and once morning came i tried to open up my email and it said i was locked out. I tried everything and nothin worked. About a week later one of my friends called saying he got a email from me saying i was in another country and i needed $3, 500 and not to worry and i would explain later. This needs to be stopped !!! MSN and hotmail.com needs to get onboard and fix this problem this is there software and they encouraged us to join.Now when there is a serious problem and this is SERIOUS they have noway to be contacted and we have noway to close or delete our hotmail account. I find this disturbing. Please if anyone has info on how to fix this can you please post.Thank you . One more thing this is crazy we have to reach out to the public for help... Thanks MSN HOTMAIL.

• Ra
      21st of Mar, 2011

Respected Sir,

Sir my Email id and password someone misused i request you sir please give me my id and my password my id is [email protected],
    and i forgot password my alternate id [email protected] so help me please.. now i have use id temporary [email protected] so please you send me any mail in this id. and please help me my above id for recovering.

Thanking You

5th of Apr, 2011

someone has been using my email and sending money emails to all my friends their ringing me complaining,
    please could you sort this out, my email is [email protected]
    andrew haines

14th of May, 2011

My hotmail ID has been blocked by the Hotmail official. I don't know what was the reason behind. The only message that appears, whenever I login, is that numerous Junk Mails have been sent to other IDs using my Hotmail ID. This is a shocking factor for me, because no such activity has been undertaken.
    Well, now the question is that how can restore my ID. My hotmail If carries some important backup files us well. So anyone who can guide regarding this issue.
    Kind Regards
    Safi

• Br
      7th of Jun, 2011

For a few years now I have received various spam purporting to be from a number of friends using hotmail. The most recent and serious is of the kind reported above. ie a request for large amount of money to help said friend abroad after loss of wallet. I have made strenuous attempts to make it clear to hotmail tech support that THEIR SERVERS ARE COMPROMISED. At no time have I received any reasonable request to assist them in tracing the source of these problems. The hacked account holders have been consistently accused by hotmail employees of causing the compromise themselves, this is not the case. In all cases the accounts in question have been immediately disabled without consent of the account holder. Unacceptable! The solution is obvious.