Home Depot / stay away

On May 30, 2008 I went to Home Depot for carpet installation estimate. I was told that I have to pay $35 for measurement, I thought that was fair so I paid the $35. It took a week for the estimator to come and measure the house and a few more days to get the measurement to Home Depot. They did not have the carpet in stock, I was told that it will be there in a week, so I went ahead and paid for the carpet, padding, installation, etc. Although I paid for the measurement, they won't give me a copy of the layout. Three weeks later, they finally got the carpet but nobody called me, I had to come to the store to check. I was promised that someone will call me in a couple of days. The installer called me 4 days later, telling me that he can't install the carpet for another 18 days (July 28, 2008)! I started the process 2 months ago and I don't have my carpet yet, and who knows what else comes up during the installation, if it ever gets installed! I tried to cancel, but I was told I will have to pay a 15% re-stocking charge. This is ridiculous - I won't wish this on anyone and won't recommend Home Depot Carpet Installation.

Iv

Comments

• Mo
      6th of Nov, 2008

I cannot believe it! This is my experience almost exactly. They show up to install the carpet and new padding, but didn't know that they were supposed to take up the old carpet and padding and cart it away! This was of course, discussed with the initial order. When we call about it, the manager is clueless. We told him that we both called about the old carpeting being glued down. He says there is not note of it and we have to be charged a additional $380. "So what, " I say. "What is $380 when we're paying $2, 000 for the carpet anyway?" What idiots! We also wanted to install wood flooring in the kitchen, which has vinyl flooring. They couldn't even tell what kind of wood we had in the rest of the house in order to match it. When I called wood flooring store and found out that the manager of the Homedepot had him put in her flooring! Homedepot wasn't good enough for her! We had bought a box of ceramic tile that had the wrong color sticker. Our installer didn't notice because the color was so subtle. I did though. Homedepot took no responsibility for their error. They railroaded us for days, and we finally just gave up and covered that section of bathroom tile with a cabinet. What a sham!!! Buyer beware!!!