Hewlett Packard / pavilion dv4 laptop

In oct. 2008, I purchased a new hp pavilion dv4 laptop. 23 days later, it began to malfunction. Less than 1 month old! Over the next 9 months it was sent for repair 4 different times. Each time I got it back, it worked correctly for a short period of time, then would begin malfunctioning again. So after the 4th "repair" & still malfunctioning, I emailed the president/ceo of hp. This was in the 10th month. A few weeks later a hp rep called me to get more info. After explaining all the problems & informing rep of the 4 failed attempts by hp to repair it, the rep ask what I wanted them to do. My reply was that I want hp to replace my dv4, barely over a year old, with a new dv4 or laptop of equal value since mine was obviously a lemon which could not be repaired. The reps response was: "we're not going to just give you a new laptop for free!" I argued that a free replacement would be only fair, since their product was obviously defective to begin with. The rep replied that hp would repair it for a fee since it was 40 days out of warranty. I responded that hp had made 4 attempts while it was still under warranty & failed all 4 times. Anyway, to date hp has remained totally unwilling to replace my laptop, which quit working completely on 12/12/10.
Bottom line; hp products suck & so does the company! Screw hp & all of their products!! (Bty: i'm using my new netbook of a different & far superior brand).

Db

Comments

• Su
      22nd of Dec, 2010

You did mention what you meant by malfunction? HP is the largest selling brand in the brand. I have Toshiba for last five years with no problems so I am not supporting it either. If the laptop base is not left clear for ventilation then overheating can cause trouble. Main processor is forced cooled by the fan but also the RAM tends to become very hot and may slow down the laptop and eventually malfunction.

• Db
      22nd of Dec, 2010

The malfunctions were too numerous to list. Among the worst & most aggravating, was going off-line every few seconds. While working, I would get the message "You are not connected to a network", so I'd re- connect, & begin working again, only to have the same thing happen every minute or so! Then there was the freezing-up of the screen saver. Almost every time I wanted to use it after the screen saver had started, I could left & right-click & move the mouse etc. until the cows came home, but still stuck on screen saver. The only way to get off screen saver, was to do a complete shut-down & restart. Then there was the problem of the screen constantly going black while I was trying to work. I'd be in the middle of answering mail or checking my website, when suddenly the screen would go black. Each time I'd have to hit ctrl (or was it alt) & f7 to get the screen back on. This always took a minute or more. Also, the "Y" key came off the key board & the top/lid separated from the screen! Even though it won't even turn on now, I still have it & the top is held together with packaging tape. Ther were many other problems, but I'm sure you get the idea.

• Db
      22nd of Dec, 2010

PS: I made sure it never overheated. Always used it on a lap cooler w/ fans running.