Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan / bad product

1 Pembroke Pines, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: Pines Blvd.

I purchased a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan from Loews 3 years ago. The item was called New Orleans. I love the look of this fan and built my bedroom decor around it. The fan lasted for one year. I took it back Loews and they replaced it for me. The replacement fan lasted only 7 months. I took that one back they did not have it in stock so I had to order it from the website and then they reimbursed me for it. That one lasted one year. I took that back and they had one in stock and replaced it for me. When November of 2008 came and left I was so excited because the fan had made it to one years. But here it is March of 2009 and the fan is now not working again. It is always the same problem...the motor goes out. I am so disappointed because each and every time I purchased this fan it was a different price, the first purchase being over $100.00. What makes it very irrating is that I have a $10.00 ceiling fan, with a light in my kitchen and a $16.00 ceiling fan in my bathroom, with a light. I have both of these fans for 6 years and I purchased them in Walmart and they are still in excellent condition. I am not balming Loews as they have been very nice to me and accomodating. I would just love to take this fan and throw it at the person who makes Harbor Breeze. How could this happen so many times? I just do not want to see this happen to anyone else and as I have now decided not to every look for this model again, I am hoping it never happens to me again.<br />
Thank you.<br />
<br />
Terry Adamo<br />
1201 S. Hillcrest Court<br />
Hollywood, FL 33021<br />
[protected]

Ro

Comments

• Fa
      13th of Aug, 2009

Funny thing though is those other fan you have in your house could have been made in the same factory as your nicer fan. Most fans are made in Taiwan and China in factories that are in the same area. So actually Harbor Breeze, as well as Home Depot's brand Hampton Bay are actually just names stamped on boxes to be sold exclusively for Lowes and Home Depot. And those fan companies are actually about 5-7 different companies making the fans for those stores to be sold in their store in their own boxes...etc. If you send me a picture of that fan I bet I could give you an idea of a fan that is close to it. I'm trying to remember what that fan looked like. I want to say it's 52in with 5 blades and 4 lights. But it's been awhile :) Regardless, you should just try another fan that is close to that and see if that helps. Apparently you know why the reason is that they phased out that particular fan from they new fan line-up. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you or like I say, show a photo of your fan.

• Lr
      29th of Sep, 2009

We purchased a Harbor Breeze Fan with light from Lowes about 2 years ago, Model # M52-5B/4L. We can not find the weird replacement bulbs or parts anywhere. Lowes can not help us. All they did was give us two phone numbers to call and neither one can help us. I would never recomend buying a Habor Breeze Fan to anyone and I am leary to ever buy another one from Lowes.

• Sn
      12th of Oct, 2009

My husband and I just built a new home and we bought 9 Harbor Breeze ceiling fans from Lowe's. 2 of them were Bellhaven, 5 were Edenton, and 2 were Tebron (for outside screened-in porch and patio). We have not had any trouble with the outside ones nor the Bellhaven but the Edentons have been nothing but trouble. We have already replaced one light kit and now there are two more that will not work. We live 35 miles from a Lowe's store so that means 70 miles when we have to replace these fans. And that doesn't include the expense of having them installed again. They are beautiful but they are the cheapest made fans I have ever had any dealings with.

Harbor Breeze has no web site that I could find. This is the only place I could find to make a complaint.

• Sp
      16th of Oct, 2009

I have the same problem...arggg let alone the bulbs are reallly dark and make the room look deppressing because of the frost coat they have oon them

• Bd
      17th of Dec, 2009

have you had any luck with finding the replacement bulbs??

• Bd
      17th of Dec, 2009

A LOT of searching but I think we found the right bulb. A single bulb was 7.99 elightbulbs.com. it is a westinghouse 40w 120v T4 G9 bipin.
    we bought from electricsuppliesonline.com and got a 10 pack for 55.00 +s/h.

• Bu
      20th of Jan, 2010

We have the same model and found the bulbs at Lowe's for $5.99 each and purchased the two we needed. I then found them on Ebay for $12.50 for 20 of them

The fellow at Lowe's said that they quit making this model due to complaints; you cannot change out the light kit because the fan control is in the light kit of this model.

Jim
    Springfield, MO

• Ra
      9th of Apr, 2010

We just bought a 3-light Frost Opal Acorn light fixture and would like to know if and where we can get replacment bulbs for it? Ever website that we go to gives us the run around...

Please HELP!
    RB
    MI

• Jd
      6th of Jul, 2010

I have two Harbor Breeze ceiling fans for my kitchen, which I brought a little over a year ago. I have been having so much trouble out of these ceiling fans from day one, first I had to replace the fan switch, because fans so running, then the light switch, because the lights would not turn on. Now! on one of the fans the light and the fan won't work. I need a new light fixure and I went to lowes were I purchased them and they do not have any. It is a five light fixure. I was told that harbor breeze was the top of the line product, I really don't think so. I have never owned a ceiling fan that has given me more problems in my life time then this one! I have own other different brands of ceiling fans and they have lasted way longer then this company. And they were much more cheaper two. I will never ever puchase another Harbor Breeze anything again.

• Po
      8th of Jul, 2010

We had a similar problem finding parts for their ceiling fans. But first it was near to impossible to put this fan together. We called Hunter fans because we thought they made the Harbor Breeze Products but they only make the bathroom fans called Harbor Breeze. Anyway, the lady at Hunter was nice enough to give us the phone number to Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan company ... Here it is 877-427-3393, another number is 800-643-0067. Hope this helps someone.

• Di
      14th of Aug, 2010

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM, THE LIGHT BULBS ARE NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE!!!
    LOWES AND THREE HOME DEPOT'S DO NOT HAVE A CLUE WHERE TO GET THE BULBS, WHICH IS CRAZY CONSIDERING THEY BOTH SELL THESE FANS.

• Wi
      26th of Sep, 2010

I've so far never seen a ceiling fan of any brand that was any good.

None of the ones that I have had would continue to function more than 6 months.

The fan would quit working or the light would quit working or both the fan and the light would quit working.

I believe that ceiling fans and lights may have become the worse case of consumer rip-off. It seems that a very close second to ceiling fans and lights would be porch lights.

The special light bulbs that some of them require are a nightmare when they burn out and no store sells them while the store that sold you the light in the first place will not tell you where the bulbs are sold but will instead try to steer you toward buying a whole new light.

The whole industry seems to be devoted to holding you up by the feet and shaking as much money out of your pockets as they can.

It would help if the stores or manufacturers would have real technicians and mechanics to answer our questions instead of forwarding our calls to some worthless good for nothing salesman.

1st of Feb, 2011

Purchased a Harbor Breeze fan at Lowe's and after getting half way through the installation, I was ready to install the blades. The screws on the blades looked to be standard star screws so I got my bits but to my amazement the bit would not insert into the screw. After closer inspection I realized there was a tiny post in the middle of the screw that kept my bit from entering the screw. I had never seen one of these screws and thought it was a defect. After some internet research I found that it is a new type of security screw. WHY!!! put a security screw on a ceiling fan blade? After more research I found that Lowe's does not carry the bit I need to install the blades. However, I did find them at Home Depot for another $21.00+. Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit?

1st of Feb, 2011

RETRACTION... I filed a complaint about the security screws on the blades of my new Harbor Breeze fan. Turns out, they are there for a purpose. The pre-installed screws insert through holes in the blades and are fastened with a locking mechanism. Do I feel stupid? Yes! If I had read a bit further in the instructions I would have saved myself a trip to Home Depot for the tool to remove the screws. Maybe I will find another use for it in the future. As a footnote, my new fan works perfectly and did not even require balancing. I have a total of 5 Harbor Breeze fans and none of them had to be balanced after installation. Don't think I could ask for anything more.

• Ms
      2nd of Apr, 2011

We remodeled our dining room and front room. We put duplicate Harbor Breeze fans in each room. That was three years ago. As of today the one in the front room stopped, the motor went out. The one in the dining room we purchased a kit that installs into the wall and you can remotely shut everything off and on. One day last year I heard a POP and a light bulb went out and the remote went out also for the fan control. So now we have to pull the chain to start the fan. Bad products.. will not purchase Harbor Breeze again. Accessories are VERY expensive. I will look for American made products now. I would rather pay twice the price for American Made than throw any more money to China for crappy items.

• Ka
      23rd of May, 2011

Litex fan company makes most {not all} Harbor breeze fans and walmarts too. Pretty much any fan that is made with a box store name is made by Litex. They do make good fans, but dont think your going to get it for under 100.00. Anyone that thinks they can buy a high quality fan for even 200.00 dont understand fans.
    Quit looking at price and blade size. yes blade size. Look at motor size and look at the Airflow numbers and the efficiency rating. But I'll tell you this, even cheap fans can put high numbers out as far as Air CFM anyway, but only for a short time. The quality is so bad in cheap fans they run out of air fast. {depending how much its used} 6 mo. to 2yrs.? Thats were motor size comes in. I like to stay with a 188mmx20mm and up motor so it dont work hard. It will run for many, many yrs. They blow great too.

Then I've also seen 400.00 fans with the lowest CFM number of any fan. I've seen high quality 24" fans with higher CFM's than a 52" low quality. Its unreal when you know a little about fans. Some beautiful fans at lowes dont even list Air flow CFM {just efficiency #} and they wont tell you the Air flow number because its so low. I called them twice and emailed them, got a run around for three days. It was the Harbor Breeze SOS 54" Montclair Bronze Ceiling Fan 329.00. I call it the "pretty turd". It must be one since they wont reveal the numbers it puts out. {lowes calls Air flow = High speed Air flow CFM}. {only Efficiency CFM is listed}. Its 2 Different ratings.
    If you want to learn about fans quick, go to HansenWholsale website. They have a great way of showing how fans are built and perform. I am not saying you should buy from them, I never have yet so I cant say how that is? But thier site sure is great to learn about fans! PLEASE go visit fan websites and read up on them before buying one. You'll be so glad you did because you'll see alot of pretty fans too. Remember most good fans come without blades/lights so you can design your own. So read the description.

• Ke
      5th of May, 2012

I have to agree with all of you who have had a horrid time finding seemingly simple replacement parts for the Harbor Breeze ceiling fans.
    We purchased a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan (model #M52 5B/4L) about 4 years ago & are in desperare need of blubs (4) & globes (3). I've tried Lowes several times, I've tried the phone number given to me by Lowe's & the email on the Harbor Breeze webiste & have gotten nowhere. Lowe's carried a bulb style similar to the originals; however, I was concerned that the stem was too short & may cause an over heating issue so did not purchase any.
    I'm on the verge of giving up & starting over with a new one, not Harbor Breeze for sure!

• De
      27th of Nov, 2012

Wattage liliter keeps blowing out. Harbor Breeze Springfield #294978. Was installed about 6 months and the limiter blew out. They sent me a replacement limiter and it lasted about a month. What is causing them to blow?

• Md
      15th of Mar, 2013

I have to agree with most of the comments above (especially the one that made mention of CFMs and airflow ratings). High quality fans generally do come at a higher cost, but also move significantly more air. This is achieved by the use of more powerful (larger) motors, and a steeper blade pitch (angle). If you want quality and airflow, go with a ceiling fan that has what is called a "stack" motor. Emerson and Casablanca use this motor design on their high-end models. Essentially, these fans utilize a reinforced rubber flywheel, that rotates around a shaft, with the actual motor remaining stationary. This isolates the blades from the motor, and reduces vibration and noise. I have slowly replaced all of the fans in my house with new and used fans of this type, and have been completely satisfied. One fan is over 30 years old, and still runs silently. You can get these fans on ebay (new and used), and at high end lighting showrooms, as well as places like Hansen Wholesale and others. It will take more research and money up front, but the result will be worth it.

• Fe
      1st of May, 2013

Hope that u contact me about my cobalt blue ceiling fan model #M52-5B/4l need two light kits