Google Treasure Chest dba Fresh Keyword Ideas / scam

United States, Maryland, Baltimore Review updated:
Sorry to everyone whom have been taken by this company, shame on them. I just wanted to give you some information that might help you get out of this mess. After reading this board on Saturday, I called my bank to see what I could do. At first they told me that I could cancel the fee but since I had only paid the $1.97, I did not want to be charged $30.00 fee to cancel $1.97. They told me if any other charges came in, I could have those charges reversed and at first that was good enough. I decided that I did not want to run the risk of the $72.21 coming out so I cancelled my credit card, and it was a good thing that I did. I contacted the company today (Monday) and the Rep. told me that the $721.21 charge was declined because my credit card was inactive (this was 10 days after I signed up and had not received anything from this company including an email confirmation that I had signed up). CANCEL YOUR CREDIT CARD NOW! You do not want to continue having the $72.21 taken each month.

Here is where those of you might be able to get some satisfaction. While the company information may be hard to find, I found it for those wishing to contact the Better Business Bureau in Utah. The company's name is Fresh Keyword Ideas. They are located in Orem, Utah 80457. The website is www.freshkeywordideas.com. On the website it states that you can cancel by contacting them email. I would suggest that you contact them by phone [protected]) to cancel because I do not trust anything this company says. Please remember that you have to cancel within 5 days to make sure they are not trying to pull a fast one. Also do not wait to see if you get the CD because it has already been 10 days and I have not received anything from this company and do not expect to do so. I do not know about the rest of you, but I want my $1.97 back because they charged this fee for shipping and handling and they mailed nothing.

What I am hoping is that a class-action suit be lodged against this company, I for one will be more than will to participate. - Good Luck, Desiree

A  13th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Thanks! I just (15 minutes ago) stupidly paid the $1.97 through an ad on craiglist. I got the emails telling me that I had enrolled in trial two trial memberships which would charge me $72.96 & $38.34 per month after the trial period. I emailed with no response. I saw your post and just got off the phone with a customer service representative who gave me two cancellation confirmation numbers. I wonder if that's legitimate. I really don't want to cancel the credit card - I wonder if I should also send certified or registered mail request?
A  13th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Thanks! I decided to check out the company before signing up. The Ads by Fresh Keywords Ideas are very misleading. The fees are really in "fine print" at the very bottom of the Ad.
A  14th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I also paid $1.97 on my credit card after doing only "brief" research. Because of the "Google" name, you think it's o.k. Something told me to scan to the bottom of the document and read the "fine print" and I am glad I did!
I cancelled my credit card within fifteen minutes (it was old and dingy anyway and I needed a new one) and lesson learned. I'll just have to deal with cash for the next seven days until a shiny, new card shows up. Shame on them. I'll stay poor.
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I can't pull up the website nor get an answer on the phone. I don't usually even look at stuff like this, but since it was only $1.97 for the information kit, I thought it would be okay to just look at it. Then I got suspicious when I couldn't copy or save or print the receipt and even more sure that there was something wrong when I couldn't get the website. It was then that I decided to google the company and got to this website. I will call my credit card co. tomorrow morning and try to stop charges.
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Just paid the money too and got two emails in with details of what they will be charging me. i have recently been made redundant and trusted the Google name. Idiot!! Have decided ultimately to cancel my card and get new one. Just take cash out for a few days till new one comes in. Golden rule. Do not give credit card details over internet to an unknow company and it is looks too good to me true...
Note to self on this one.
Not easy to spot this when Googled. Anyone know how to set up a decent Google search result warning people against this. My web building capabilites rubbish quite frankly.

Disgraceful in this climate.
N  15th of Apr, 2009 by
I just paid money too...called the customer service number to cancel, but can't for 48 hours because I'm not in the system yet!! You don't even realize what you're getting into until you pay and can click on the "terms" on the bottom page and read them. How shady is that?!?! Definately should have done research first...
Thanks for writing this!! What a huge help!!
A  15th of Apr, 2009 by
I read the terms and conditions before entering my credit card number and I am so glad I did! In the fine print on the bottom, they state that they are not affiliated with Google in any way, and then in the terms and conditions, they said that they would be charging over a hundred dollars in fees a month, and that they are held harmless from any losses, damages, etc. The part that really got me was the line about even if they are aware of the losses and damages that will occur, they are still not to be held responsible. What a joke! I hope more people will check out this company before they decide to sign up.
A  15th of Apr, 2009 by
Update on my last comment by self. I phoned bank and they said they have had a few of these. Bank of Scotland and best advice is to get new card. You keep your account. Just get new card with new number so their request for money is declined. In meantime unfortunately you have to live off cash which you can withdraw from your branch. Lesson well learned here! Also anyone advertising this scam in reputable magazines, they do not actually vet whomever is advertising in their magazines!
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I did buy the 1.97 too but i dont consider myself an idiot.. :P i use a pre-paid Visa card with $20 dollars on it for these type of things.. that way if it is a scam it doesn't have any of my personal information and they can only at best rip me off for $20.

My advise to you is NEVER use your Credit Card for online (questionable businesses), Do like me and only use prepaid cards then you will never be "scammed" again.

The joke will be on them when the $72 gets declined because its over my limit.. :P

N  15th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I was fooled by "http://robertscashblog.com" site. This ###ing ### "Robert" claimed he makes $7000 each month by doing a little posting for Google. First he said he lives in Eastman, GA, which is my neighborhood, so I believed that. After I clicked his link, I was redirected to "Fresh Keyword Ideas" site. Since the initial fee is small, I paid the $1.97, then, I was informed that the real fee is $72.96 per month. I went back to check Robert’s blog, because I remember he claimed the fee is only $4. Guess what? Now he said he lives in Huntsville, AL! This crook! That's right! He deserved all the F words I threw at him.
I regret I didn't check the complainsboard before I was fooled. But I canceled my credit card immediately. I can tell you this: the information, so called internet-tutorial from "Fresh Keyword Ideas" are all available from public domain, it doesn’t worth the monthly fee they want to charge you. They are not teaching you to be rich. They are cheating you to rich themselves.
I will definitely complain to BBB. Shame on these people! In this kind of economy, they are still pulling a scam.
A  16th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
So I did not fall victim to this, but did a little digging. These guys are bad news. The $1.97 charge is meant to be small enough to slip under the radar of your credit card company or bank. These guys are most likely fishing for your information, and from the look of the order form it seems like they can grab most of it. NEVER GIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR USE IT FOR YOUR ACCOUNT ID. These guys are trying to steal your identity and drain you bank account. For those who have already fallen victim, I would call your bank, cancel your cards and get identity theft coverage. If you were dumb enough to try this, you obviously need it and most banks now offer coverage.

Best of luck,

N  16th of Apr, 2009 by
Hey Everyone - I started a Blog about "Bad Social Ads" most commonly found on facebook and the myspaces of this world - i just posted what some could use to help identify this very scam running around on facebook. my url is http://badsocialads.wordpress.com and if you could share it around that would be great - i have include this page in the write up and actual screen shots to help those know what we are all talking about visually. Hope this further helps anyone from going through this crap especially during these tough economic time. Shame on this company for preying on those of us currently out of work!

Good Luck everyone

A  17th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I in fact paid the $1.97 cent to i normally dont even bother with these things but i figured i the time and situation why hell why not try it but then as i realized that i didnt receive the confirmation email i did some digging around to find out this was a scam and i in fact got working numbers to cancel but to no luck i got the i cant find you in our system sir we will file a report with the research dept which i then in turn asked for the number to the research dept and what did i get there is no number or research dept so then i went diggin even further to get all of this
benefit-today hits your statement
and by the way i called the number for all of them and none of them is affilliated and they are 3rd party customer service to the main company and the kicks part was they all stayed in diff staes every time another one got on the phone.

A  21st of Apr, 2009 by
I ordered the $1.97 kit on April 16 and I hadn't realized all the charges I would be charged every month?! I found freshkeywordideas e-mail and I told them I needed to cnacel immediately. I'm going to call them tomarrow and try to get it canceled. I haven't received the kit yet, or maybe I won't receive it at all. I paid the small fee with a debit card. They said in the terms and conditions that I would be charged $72.21, $38.84, and $24.87 every month, which I can't afford. I forgot to look at the terms and conditions and I read them later. I should have read them first, before I paid the small fee. I should of looked first before I leaped. I sure wish I had now. Bessie from Iowa...
A  22nd of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Everybody that got scammed by this outfit should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and at the same time also file a complaint with the Internet Crime Center www.IC3.gov

This business according to the BBB only started March 2009. They must have been closed down somewhere else.

From BBB:
Fresh Keyword Ideas is not a BBB Accredited business. Additional Phone Numbers Tel: (877) 208-5471 Tel: (888) 247-3851

Licensing for Fresh Keyword Ideas As of April 14, 2009 this company is not registered with the Utah Division of Corporations or the Orem City business licensing office. The address is for a private mail collection firm, not a physical address for the company. Consumers may want to find out where the company is really located before they do business with the company.
N  22nd of Apr, 2009 by
Someone mentioned www.craigsmoneyblog.com

Watch this video on Youtube. What a clever scam!

N  24th of Apr, 2009 by
I also did the same mistake which I should have not done it, I called the customer service number which was given by CSR on a April 20, 2009 but did not work, I thaught it going to be tough to get the money back . Today I saw my VISA statement where I got the the number and cancell the account .The CSR was telling me that I passed my 7 days which is not true . It look like the scam at the time people are struggling to meet there end these companies are screwing public with tricks. the CSR is in Phillipenes, the way speak it is very difficult to understand . She told me that she send me cancellation confirmation via email, I haven't receive so far. Please beware of these kind of scams
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
People you all need to start filing complaints with the BBB, Internet Crime Center www.ic3.gov and the FTC

In a recent case June, 2008 the FTC fined a company offering similar FREE CD's where the customer only have to pay the $2.00 S&H a whopping $2 million while freezing assets of over $6 million until the fine was paid.

Extract from the FTC court papers:

FTC regulations require terms and conditions to be displayed by companies in clearly visible text noticeable to the ordinary consumer.
According to the FTC law, companies must clearly and prominently disclose the "material" terms of their trial offers before you give your consent
“In any communication disseminated by means of an interactive electronic medium such as software, the Internet or online services, a disclosure must be unavoidable and presented prior to the consumer incurring any financial obligation. Any audio message shall be delivered in a volume and cadence sufficient for an ordinary consumer to hear and comprehend it. Any visual message shall be of a size and shade, with a degree of contrast to the background against which it appears, and shall appear on the screen for duration and in a location sufficiently noticeable for an ordinary consumer to read and comprehend”

(FTC Case 4:07-cv-00011-RAS, Document 159, Page 5)

Take note of this part:

Any visual message shall be of a size and shade, with a degree of contrast to the background against which it appears, and shall appear on the screen for duration and in a location sufficiently noticeable for an ordinary consumer to read and comprehend.

It is against the FTC rules to hide the conditions link in very small font right at the bottom of the page. Most of these scam sign up pages will load into your browser in such a way that the small terms and conditions link is not visible as they have cleverly positioned that on the very bottom line of the page. When your browser loads the page that very important link is hidden behind the taskbar, exactly where they know and hope most people won't see it.

This my friends is illegal to the what the FTC requires.

Start filing your complaints and bring these scam companies under the attention of the authorities. This is the only way to stop them in the long run.
A  24th of Apr, 2009 by
I called Fresh Keyword Ideas and they said they couldn't find any record of my account and then they told me to hold on while they were going to see what was going on and after waiting a while the phone went dead. I called them back and had to wait for the next available person and after waiting awhile, the phone went dead again. I did file a complaint with the Utah BBB. I haven't heard anything back yet. They did take 1.97 out of my checking acct. 4/17/09. I told the person when I first spoke to him that I wanted the account cancelled. I contacted my bank, too and they needed to know the date that the merchant was going to take money out? I'm not sure when. I thought maybe it was 7 days after I paid the 1.97 online. I'm watching to see if 72.21 and two other amounts get taken out. bessie from iowa.
N  24th of Apr, 2009 by
i also got scammed. How could i be so stupid ! I will try to cancel my debit account. i am going to report all of this to the Utah atty. generals office, and hopefully something can
be done.