GMC / faulty transmission

1 Detroit, MI, United States

I own a 2009 Saturn Vue with less than 70, 000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, it began making a noise and I took it to JBA Chevrolet in Glen Burnie, MD. They charged me $110 to tell me that “something” was wrong with the transmission and it needed further diagnostics in the amount of $700. This is the cost for them to take the entire transmission apart in an attempt to diagnose the issue. I picked the car up, I also left a message for the service manager asking for a refund on the $110 “diagnostics charge” because I was not given a diagnoses, he never returned my call.

I then took the car to Harford Transmissions in Bel Air, MD since I was getting no help from the dealer. The gentleman there was very helpful, diagnosing it for free. The transmission is “falling apart” and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I called GM and spoke to several people, my case number is [protected]. Over the course of a week, my father and I, called 8 times. Not one person ever called us back. We were constantly promised call backs from higher authorities that never came. In the end, after countless house on the phone, we were told that we were past the 5 year warranty and GM would be offering no assistance in paying for the transmission to be rebuilt.

I explained that I’ve done my research on this, Saturns have notorious transmission issues that have led to recalls and class action lawsuits. I am now stuck putting a new transmission in a car with less than 70, 000 miles out of my pocket. I wasted countless hours on the phone to be treated poorly and receive no retribution. I believe GM should stand behind this. There is no reason a car with so few miles, despite being 6 years old as opposed to 5 years old (5 year warranty), should need a new transmission. This is obviously a manufacturer defect. Per the manual, the car doesn’t even need regular transmission maintenance until 100, 000 miles, which I am far from.

I would like the $110 back from JBA Chevrolet for refusing to diagnose the car. I would also like retribution from GM for this, obviously, faulty transmission. My family and I are loyal GM customers, we have been for years, I’m just asking them to take responsibility for this defective part.

Rs