Geek Squad / geek squad destroyed my hard drive

1 San Bernardino, CA, United States Review updated:

In October 2008, I bought a new Mac Book Pro from Best Buy. Because of the environment that my computer would be exposed to, I bought an extended warranty which included accidental insurance. The contract stated that if my computer needed repair, I must return it to Best Buy (not Apple) so that it could be repaired by the Geek Squad. In December, my computer experienced its first accident which damaged the keyboard. Nothing was wrong with the hard drive and the computer was still functional although some of the keys were sticking. After continuing to use the computer for two months, I decided to take it in for repair. The Geek Squad decided that it couldn't be repaired and that it should be replaced with a new computer. THEY PURPOSELY DESTROYED THE WHOLE COMPUTER, HARD DRIVE AND ALL, since they were replacing it. They never contacted me first to see if I wanted to back up the hard drive. Since I thought the keyboard could be replaced, I didn't bother to back up the most recent data. When I complained, they told me that if I had read the small print, I would have understood that that was their policy (to destroy the hard drive). The day that I took the computer in for repair, there were over ten impatient customers standing in line and one technician. There wasn't time to stand there and read the full contract. With an issue as important as destroying the hard drive, I THINK THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE CLEAR TO ME, VERBALLY! I lost very important data which cannot be retrieved. I realize that I am equally responsible for loosing my data because of my stupidity for not backing it up. But I also think they should have taken the time to contact me first!!! Word of warning, either buy the extended APPLE warranty, or use a certified technician (other than Best Buy's Geek Squad)!

Te

Comments

• So
      16th of Feb, 2009

Apple warranty does not guarantee they will send back your data intact, ask the millions of people who have no way to get their iPod data back after a battery replacement. I don't know of a single repair shop on Earth that does not have a clause stating that backing up data is the responsibility of the owner. The moral of your story is 'back up your data before having work done', not 'don't buy Best Buy warranty'. Oh, and of course 'read what you sign'.

• Du
      22nd of Aug, 2009

YOU decided not to backup, a no brainer any time you even THINK something is going wrong. YOU signed the contract, and shouldn't need to be verbally told anything you signed as agreeing to. Your signature says you understand every word written there. You could have written an addendum to it, saying YES you see they can destroy the hard drive, but YOU WANT TO BE ASKED FIRST in case you 1- want to retrieve info first, and 2- you may want to keep the computer and have someone else fix it, voiding the warranty but keeping the computer and your info. Hard drives are destroyed to protect you from having sensitive info retrieved from it. I always make it known in writing that NOTHING is to be done without a call first to let me know what my options are. That computer is your property and remains so even in their hands, and shouldn't have been destroyed UNTIL YOU HAD A NEW ONE IN YOUR POSESSION, but you let it happen by agreeing to the contract terms without questions. There is no reason you should be angry they didn't call you because they probably assumed you were smart enough to backup, and also to not sign anything you really didn't understand.

• Du
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Also, you can easily make it part of the deal that IF your computer can't be fixed, you want your info transferred to the new laptop before giving it to you. For a reasonable fee for the time, they will do this, it's a common service. Often people badmouth a company or group because THEY didn't understand what was going to happen. They did no wrong by following the letter of the contract. Heck, even when the salesman told me all the "great" things I'd be protected from if I bought the insurance for my laptop, I insisted on noting every claim and verifying each was really in the contract before I got it. And I refused a 3 yr contract because by then the computer isn't worth much, so the extra money for the coverage would be paid to cover something not worth fixing.

6th of Jan, 2010

First, a hardware issue such as "sticking keyboard" is not an irreparable issue. Geek Squad technicians are actually not computer techs. They have a diagnostic program that they run on your computer and then if they can't figure out how to fix the problem, rather than figuring it out like any other comp tech would, they reformat because it takes less time. A sticky key is easily replaced, or cleaned.

Before learning all of this I was a Geek Squad client. After numerous $60 payments for them to run a program and them not fixing viral issues, reformating when it wasn't necessary, and not knowing simple computer things that even I knew, I found someone who was an actual computer tech and not just someone who knows how to reformat a computer.

DumpTheIdiots, I agree with compulsive back ups. I learned the hard way through Geek Squad. While I now backup on a regular basis, my computer tech has NEVER had to reformat my computer, even for some pretty nasty viruses. Yes, it may take a little longer than with Geek Squad, but I know that when I get my computer back, it is running like new with ALL of my information. Also, when he does have to reformat, he STILL backs up the information AND puts it back on the computer before returning it ALL included in the price.

Don't go to Geek Squad, ask your friends to refer you to a real computer tech. If you're in South Florida call Preemo 305.669.6049 they're amazing.