Europcar / rude, lazy, greedy
I rented a car in 2008 from EuropCar in Marseille. The rental included a GPS, which I was instructed by the Agent to leave in the glove box when I returned the vehicle (if the office was closed). I did as instructed, but sensing a problem I tried to protect myself by taking photos as evidence. Several weeks later I received a €400 charge for the GPS. Afterward I contacted EuropCar on numerous occasions, showed them my documented photo evidence, asked them for cooperation in investigating other possible explanations for the lost GPS, but was treated rudely by their Agents and ignored by their Corporate Management.
In an effort to clear up the matter, I lodged a dispute with my Credit Card Company and explained my position. Thankfully the Credit Card Company agreed with my version of events and removed the €400 charge, saying that EuropCar acted badly. Furthermore, the Credit Card Company Agent confided in me that EuropCar is notorious for this type of behavior and congratulated me for standing up to them.
I thought the matter was done. But 6 months later, despite the Credit Card Company's verdict, I was contacted by EuropCar and advised that they still want €400. And if I don’t pay up immediately then they would put my name on a "blacklist" so I can never rent a car again in Europe. When that failed to scare me, EuropCar hired a French debt collector who is threatening me with legal action in the US if I don’t pay up.
Throughout the whole process my impression of EuropCar is that they are rude to clients, they ignore attempts at reasonable dialogue, and they’re greedy. EuropCar simply want their money in spite of the facts, and they use fear and intimidation (verbal abuse, harassing letters, and threats) to wear clients down and frighten them into settling. However, thanks to websites like this, EuropCar’s reputation can be exposed and potential victims of EuropCar will learn what kind of company they’re dealing with and hopefully avoid my experience.
More Europcar Complaints & Reviews
- Europcar - fraud and cheating! 
- Europcar - europcar "serenity pack" scam 
- Europcar - worthless insurance cdw
- Europcar Spain - overcharging - swindle! 
- Europcar - damage surcharge 
- Europcar International - not full tank!
- Europcar International - lack of damage report and repair estimate
- Europcar International - unprofessional attitude from the staff working in europcar office in cairo international airport terminal 3
- Europcar International - too much billed
- Europcar International - factuur 10091237079 date 23.10.2018 reservation number 1091.336.442