Europcar / rude, lazy, greedy

France Review updated:
I rented a car in 2008 from EuropCar in Marseille. The rental included a GPS, which I was instructed by the Agent to leave in the glove box when I returned the vehicle (if the office was closed). I did as instructed, but sensing a problem I tried to protect myself by taking photos as evidence. Several weeks later I received a €400 charge for the GPS. Afterward I contacted EuropCar on numerous occasions, showed them my documented photo evidence, asked them for cooperation in investigating other possible explanations for the lost GPS, but was treated rudely by their Agents and ignored by their Corporate Management.

In an effort to clear up the matter, I lodged a dispute with my Credit Card Company and explained my position. Thankfully the Credit Card Company agreed with my version of events and removed the €400 charge, saying that EuropCar acted badly. Furthermore, the Credit Card Company Agent confided in me that EuropCar is notorious for this type of behavior and congratulated me for standing up to them.

I thought the matter was done. But 6 months later, despite the Credit Card Company's verdict, I was contacted by EuropCar and advised that they still want €400. And if I don’t pay up immediately then they would put my name on a "blacklist" so I can never rent a car again in Europe. When that failed to scare me, EuropCar hired a French debt collector who is threatening me with legal action in the US if I don’t pay up.

Throughout the whole process my impression of EuropCar is that they are rude to clients, they ignore attempts at reasonable dialogue, and they’re greedy. EuropCar simply want their money in spite of the facts, and they use fear and intimidation (verbal abuse, harassing letters, and threats) to wear clients down and frighten them into settling. However, thanks to websites like this, EuropCar’s reputation can be exposed and potential victims of EuropCar will learn what kind of company they’re dealing with and hopefully avoid my experience.

N  27th of Aug, 2012 by
I have suffered a very similar scam. I returned a Europcar rental car to Manchester Airport in February 2012. No damage, full tank of petrol but no one available when I brought back the car. I had to hurry for a flight so just posted the keys. next credit card bill was a charge for £523 from Europcar with no explanation. I immediately queried with the AMEX who reversed the charges and charged back to Europcar after 2 months or so. That I thought was the end of it. Then in July 2012 I receive a threatening letter from Europcar to cough up immediately or be blacklisted by Europcar (hurray), have my credit record destroyed they would send in the bouncers of debt collectors and legal action. But no explanation of why I am charged £523. So I asked them for a breakdown of the charge and indicated I would not pay until I had it. Now August 2012 I have had a threatening letter from the Debt Collectors demanding immediate payment of £523 or else. But I am still in the dark as to what the charge is for. I also had additional insurance to cover any damage to the vehicle but I had to claim within 30 days of the incident. But since the incident was 6 months ago and I still do not know what it is I will not be able to recover any "legitimate" charges from the Insurance. NEVER use Europcar. I do not expect I will have to pay but it is hassel dealing with these ###s.
N  26th of Aug, 2016 by
I have had a very similar experience. Europcar has got many tricks up their sleeves to Scam their customers of money. DONT USE THEM!!!

Europcar International Logo Europcar International