Europcar International Logo

Europcar International

Having problems with Europcar International?

+43 1866 1633 (Austria)
+32 2348 9212 (Belgium)
+45 8933 1133 (Denmark)
+353 1812 2880 (Ireland)
+352 404 228 (Luxembourg)
+31 703 811 891 (Netherland)
+47 6716 5820 (Norway)
+351 219 407 790 (Portugal)
+46 8462 4848 (Sweden)
+41 848 808 099 (Switzerland)
+44 87 1384 1087 (United Kingdom)
+1 877 9406 900 (USA / Canada)
2 rue René Caudron - Bâtiment OP Parc d'Affaires "Val saint-Quentin"​
Voisins le Bretonneux
France - 78960

Complaints & Reviews

extorsionate charges

My advise is "never use europcar hire"!!
I prebooked a car several months in advance at a cost of 302 euro's including damage waiver.
When I arrived at eurocar's desk at marsielle airport I was told I should pay for excess insurance which I agreed assuming it would be a fraction of the cost. However, at the end of my holiday my card was debited with 536.36 euro's, what a con!!

The service at marseille airport was terrible, even though I was first in the door staff ignored me, I was made to wait for 15 mins by which time 4 english people where behind me, then a french woman entered and 2 staff members served her immediately making us english wait.
The car I pre-booked was not available but I was not offered an upgrade.
Also, I forgot to remove my satellite navigation windscreen mount and phoned marseille when I got home, I was told they would find it and call me back but after 4 attempts, no-one ever phoned me back.
I have emailed europcar customer service several times with no responce and hung on to an unanswered phone for hours,
Again I stress, do not use this company, they are in my opinion a bunch of crooks with no hint of customer service!!

• Je
    Jenny Mann Sep 19, 2008

A friend of mine had the same kind of experience. He's Chinese so I'm trying to help him..have you found any formal avenue of complaint such as a government tourist bureau or similar who might take up the cause against this company?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Jenny Mann (Australia)

booked van unavailable

I booked a van over the phone. I called a few days in advance for a qoute and to check avaialbility, and was told only a few hours notice was required. I called again on the day I needed the van, booked it for collection at East Midlands Airport and got a booking number. When I arrived at the station the lady took my details and said they don't have vans at airports! She told me I could cancel my booking and then either leave without a car or rent a different one. The only one they had available and allowed for under-25 drivers was a Seat Altea. We were moving house and had no choice, so I took the car but it was smaller and so much more difficult to pack! We didn't manage to move all our belongings before the deadline, and we had to make more trips anyway, so we wasted a lot of time as well as money. I have to say the lady at the airport office has been great and very helpful, but the booking centre clearly messed it up!
What should I do now? Any advice? Thanks

overcharge

we rented a car from europcar in less than 5 miles from the agency the car broke down and had to be towed. we recieved a bill 2 months later for $495 for repaires to the car.

• Ap
    APOSTOLOS MALIORIS Sep 15, 2008

This is the worse car rental company that i had to co-operate with. I have got troubles for paying a parking ticket that i had received to Italy and nobody is doing anything to help me find a way how to pay it. Keep away from this rental company. They care only about taking your money and after that chaos.

damage scam

We hired a car online through Holiday Autos and they allocated us to Europcar at Lyon airport in May 2008. We had no problems at all with the car (and no bumps) and when we returned it to the airport a uniformed Europcar employee carefully inspected it and (in front of us five adults from three different families) said there was no problem, nothing to sign and sent us off with a smile. "Nice company to do business with" I thought.

Back home they sent us an invoice saying "Damage Surcharge" (no other explanation) for a ludicrously round figure of EUR 1, 000.00 plus VAT which they translated at an appalling rate (which I don't believe they're allowed to do without permission) into GBP 975.24. That's a rate of 1.226 EUR to GBP when the real rate on my credit card the day we took the car back was 1.27. Then they compounded the scam by taking it from my credit card account in two chunks, presumably to avoid large amount checks that could have stopped the scam at source.

Since then I have spent an enormous amount of time writing, emailing etc with no response whatsoever from Europcar (France or UK), nothing useful from Holiday Autos either. But just in time my credit card company (Nationwide, who give excellent exchange rates on overseas purchases) have come up trumps and put the scam amounts into dispute status so at least they won't hit my bank account on Monday.

My guess is that Europcar puts intolerable pressure on its employees to meet short term targets whatever the long term cost in terms of customers outraged by their behavior. It's not just that I would never use Europcar again - I'm so annoyed by their scam that I want to warn as many other people as I can too.

Incidentally we did pay Holiday Autos a modest sum for a damage excess waiver - but their terms say they can only reimburse a damage excess charge if there is a damage report. How could there be a damage report when the Europcar inspector agreed there was no damage and nothing to sign?

The previous time we rented a car in France I chose Sixt, from Montpellier airport. We had the same car, a Ford CMAX, as from Europcar but none of the nasty aftershocks.

• Eb
    EBaker Jul 10, 2008

An update to my review. With persistence they gave in in the end. First Europcar France reduced the hit from GBP1000 to 200 then Europcar UK gave us a full refund. Apart from online reviews the real trigger was The Guardian newspaper's consumer champion forwarding my account to Europcar UK. Holiday Autos, who I paid for the car hire, were useless and failed to make any substantive response after five weeks. But in the end I've lost nothing but a lot of time over this scam.

• Fo
    footmail51 Oct 11, 2010

The same thing just happened to me. I normally rent with Hertz. This time, I flew with Easyjet so booked with their 'preferred partner' Europcar. A very big mistake. I rented a compact car at Glasgow Airport, returned it to the same place on Sunday evening, with not a single scratch on it. Today I received an invoice detailing a 'damage surcharge' of 65.00 GBP! But there was absolutely no damage to the car. As with other renters, there was nobody to check the car when I returned it - though it was supposed to be open until 7pm. It wasn't. I will ask the credit card company not to pay it.

overcharge

I rented a car at Paris CDG Airport from Indonesia from 15/05/08 till 31/05/08. The confirmation came 2 days later at "approximately" Euros 515. Rental Agreement [protected]. When I returned the car and the GPS nobody checked it. It was in perfect condition anyway. The attendant asked me to sign a receipt where the estimate payable shows Estimate payable Euros 525, 77. I asked if this was the amount my account would be debited and he answered YES.

I am very surprised to receive the bill 2 weeks later showing an amount of 973, 65. It shows a Charge of Special equipment replacement (GPS I believe) of Euros 334, 44. I totally disagree about this and ask a review of the bill as it was at the reservation. I am looking forward to your advise.

Regards,
Thierry Gasnier.

Jayasingam Nov 18, 2009

My name is Jayasingam. I rented a car in UK from Europcar through easycar. I didn't even rent the GPS. And they overharged me 50 pounds for 'special equi repl'. I have complained and await their response

fraud and rip off!

Having booked through Travelocity, we picked up our rental car from Copenhagen and dropped it off at...

fraud and cheating!

Having taken our credit card details, Europcar helped themselves to an extra days rental fee. They sent us an invoice claiming that we had collected the car whilst still flying over Belgium and returned the car more than a day late when we'd been home for nearly a day! Europcar are stonewalling and lying to our Credit Card company who don't seem to be trying too hard for us. Having scoured the internet it seems that kind of practice is widespread within Europcar. It is probably even in their business plan!

Do not use Europcar and if you use an intermediary insist that they do not use Europcar.

mairead murray Feb 04, 2008

I too have experienced problems with Europcar. After taking out extra insurance we were invoiced for $600.00 but they actually took out from my visa $803.00. They refuse to send me details on the insurance, but keep telling me I was not covered. Our rental car was parked outside our hotel and tropical rain/cyclone moved in and it became wet on the back floor. It took me 3 weeks and 15 emails to their Brisbane office to find out how they actually brok the bill down. To wash the outside of the car $85.00, to remove the carpet and dry $503.00, yet my insurance didn't slot in, and no explanation as to why not. Their customer service Manager sent their Regional Manager an email quoting "The nerve of her" meaning me, for actually questioning the bill. These people have been extremely rude, and very careful not to give too much information out. I agree it seems to be their policy to over charge and they are disgusted if you question them. I will never deal with this firm again.

Jason Aug 11, 2008

I have rented a car from europcar Austria and I must say that their service was horrible regarding recommendations.I was not aware as I live on a small island, Malta Europe, to keep the car in low gears when coming down a mountain and due to this my rented car broke down.If only they could have told me how to handle the car in these circumstances I wouldn't have caused this breakdown.When returning the car I wasn't charged anything, other than the fuel of the car which was held at their office to service it as they have given me a replacement.I am really angry as I had to pay €900 for this break down of which I don't have to get the full blame of it.It was their job to advise us before hand.When calling the tow truck guy to came over to see the damage, his first question was, how did I get down the mountain as this was very usual for him, being called for this breakdown by tourists.I will deal with another car rental company if this charge is not reversed.

Resolved unfair damage charge

Europcar
www.europcar.com

Europcar (Guerin Lda) - Lisbon Airport charged me $1900.00 for damage to hire vehicle, see following detailed letter to them:

I write with regard to the above contract and the monies that your company have seen fit to charge me for damage to the air conditioning of the vehicle.

At 17:25 on Saturday 20th May I collected a Nissan Pathfinder (Group R) from your Lisbon Airport office and drove to my villa at Quinta da Beloura near Sintra along with three other members of my family.

On Monday 22nd May the weather became warmer and we realized that the air conditioning was not working. The following day (Tuesday) the car was returned to your offices in Cascais where your representative confirmed that it was defective.

Unfortunately your office in Lisbon were unable to deliver a replacement Nissan and I had to loose a half day of my holiday driving to Lisbon to exchange the vehicle.

On returning to Lisbon Airport on 30th May I was told that I am to be charged a total of 2600 Euros for the repair to the air conditioning of the first vehicle. This charge is totally unacceptable as I did not cause the damage.

I would ask for your consideration of the following points:

1.. The fault was reported to your nearest office as soon as we realized that the air conditioning was defective.

2.. During the time that we had the car we drove a total of 239 km, 70 km of which was driving to and from your offices in Cascais and Lisbon. The car was only used on good roads and was never taken off-road.

3.. Your representative at Lisbon Airport informed me that there was considerable damage to the underside of the vehicle causing the air conditioning to fail. He also stated that this was due to the car being used off road. The contract that I have shows the car to have considerable damage to the body prior to my hire. It states damage to right front mud guard, right front door, left front mud guard, left rear door, left rear mud guard and aerial. There were also a number of large scratches to the paintwork along the length of the car on both sides. All of this shows the car to have been damaged / driven off road prior to my hire.

4.. No additional damage other than that already described was reported by your office when the car was returned to show that I had treated the vehicle poorly.

5.. Your records will show that I have previously hired large four-wheel drive vehicles from Guerin Lda without incident. The reason for doing so is due to the increased comfort and luggage space as opposed to the vehicles four-wheel drive abilities. On this occasion the combined age of my party of four was in excess of 200 years, therefore off-road driving was of no interest.

At all times I have acted in good faith and honesty regarding the initial reporting of the defect and my time taken to return the car to your Lisbon offices. It is ironic that had I not acted with such honesty the defect would not have been detected until the vehicle re-hired and I would now not be in such a position.

Considering the above facts I would ask that these charges be withdrawn and that my credit card be credited with the total amount charged.

The money was refunded but only I had identified and written to a number of Directors of the company and posted internet complaints with several newspapers.

• Da
    Danron Aug 15, 2018

Hello

I rented a car from Europcar rental in CDG airport in Paris France
    reference number FR 767975720.
    after checking my credit card report i saw that I was doubled charged.
    I can reach them by phone and have not managed to get an email...

• Ub
    ubirajara santos Aug 20, 2018

Dear manager,

I've been paciently awayting for your support and help.
    I do apreciate any fair answer. Pleas sen to email [email protected]
    sincerely,
    santos, ubirajara

• Va
    Vacheh Aug 28, 2018

Hi I rented a Mercedes Vito on August 10 and was inspected and found that the rear door was broken and glass was replaced the old Glass all over the back seat from a previous incident cut my self cleaning is this how you give cars to your customers I had to vaccum the car so it would not cut the kids and other passenger I would like a refund

• Pa
    Pauljdavis Sep 02, 2018

Worst car rental experience ever!

Would never use or recommend Europcar to anyone. To anyone reading this, DO NOT GIVE EUROPCAR YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS. My credit card has been charged 7 times. I only rented 2 cars. Administration is a shambles. Terrible company to deal with. Never again!

• Am
    A Mehta Oct 16, 2018

Hi,

This is Anurag Mehta and I was charged 28 Euros extra for refueling and fuel charges after I returned the vehicle with a FULL tank of gas.

Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience. Attached is the receipt for my rental.

Thanks,
    Anurag

Comments

Mazzy Meng Nov 12, 2018

I was hit by one of Europcar customer and I called Europcar thousands of time to get back my claim, but it always can not be connected through and they've been always pushing away the reponsibilty!!!

fraud and cheating!

My wife and son went to Ireland on vacation, she booked a car rental with EUROPCAR through the ORBITZ...