Europcar Austria / fraud and cheating!

1 Austria Review updated:

Having taken our credit card details, Europcar helped themselves to an extra days rental fee. They sent us an invoice claiming that we had collected the car whilst still flying over Belgium and returned the car more than a day late when we'd been home for nearly a day! Europcar are stonewalling and lying to our Credit Card company who don't seem to be trying too hard for us. Having scoured the internet it seems that kind of practice is widespread within Europcar. It is probably even in their business plan!

Do not use Europcar and if you use an intermediary insist that they do not use Europcar.

Pa

Comments

4th of Feb, 2008

I too have experienced problems with Europcar. After taking out extra insurance we were invoiced for $600.00 but they actually took out from my visa $803.00. They refuse to send me details on the insurance, but keep telling me I was not covered. Our rental car was parked outside our hotel and tropical rain/cyclone moved in and it became wet on the back floor. It took me 3 weeks and 15 emails to their Brisbane office to find out how they actually brok the bill down. To wash the outside of the car $85.00, to remove the carpet and dry $503.00, yet my insurance didn't slot in, and no explanation as to why not. Their customer service Manager sent their Regional Manager an email quoting "The nerve of her" meaning me, for actually questioning the bill. These people have been extremely rude, and very careful not to give too much information out. I agree it seems to be their policy to over charge and they are disgusted if you question them. I will never deal with this firm again.

11th of Aug, 2008

I have rented a car from europcar Austria and I must say that their service was horrible regarding recommendations.I was not aware as I live on a small island, Malta Europe, to keep the car in low gears when coming down a mountain and due to this my rented car broke down.If only they could have told me how to handle the car in these circumstances I wouldn't have caused this breakdown.When returning the car I wasn't charged anything, other than the fuel of the car which was held at their office to service it as they have given me a replacement.I am really angry as I had to pay €900 for this break down of which I don't have to get the full blame of it.It was their job to advise us before hand.When calling the tow truck guy to came over to see the damage, his first question was, how did I get down the mountain as this was very usual for him, being called for this breakdown by tourists.I will deal with another car rental company if this charge is not reversed.