Dollar Tree / absolutely insane mean manager

1 Miami, OK, United States Review updated:

We had to stop by the store before the Christmas parade Dec. of '08. My daughter is suffering from ADD, so it takes a little more scolding to get her to come out of the store with us.
Well, my husband, after making his purchase was standing at the door ready to leave, and our daughter was running through the store upset because they didn't have a certain toy...needless to say, she was given the 3 count, and daddy had to raise his voice a little more sternly. Not yelling or verbally abusive, mind you.
The manager yelled across the store to my husband to leave this instant and leave the child alone.
He responded in kind that it is his daughter, she suffers from add, and has to be talked to this way to grasp her attention.
She then said she didn't care, to leave before she called the police on him. He was standing at the door! What, did she want us to leave our child?
I went in after wards to quietly discuss what happened, because I was waiting out in the car, but could see everything.
My hubby is not a mean guy, nor a bully, he is a Doctor in Childhood ed.! I mean, come on!
Anyway, she then rips into me, and I started in nice with her. Well, that got me riled and she told me where to go, how to get there, etc. Stupid (yet shaking mad) me called her the b-word, and she got on her phone to call the police. We didn't do anything! We are customers, were, for heavens sake. The police understood, but because she was the all-mighty manager, she placed an order for us to never go in her store again. Gladly, poorly ran anyway. I will be seeking people to contact over her head. Just needed to vent.

Comments

• Dc
      28th of Jan, 2009

Parents
    need to be more focused on dealing with child in public.
    If the behavior was preceived to be out of line - maybe it was.
    We give names to behaviors that we have allowed to develop
    over the years and our inability to be strong parents.

• Co
      27th of Jan, 2010

I worked at Dollar Tree for awhile in Tole why work your ### off when they are just going to put new people in to take your place and give you nothing in return no hours no reason just here you work at dollar tree but i am not going to give you any hours I can't quit even if I want too so what can I do. is there anything that can be done or not.

• Yo
      28th of Feb, 2010

although I feel for your story... that was nothing more than a story. I love how you emphasized how "you nor your husband were doing anything wrong" while telling how horrible the manager was. If your kid has ADD.. they make a drug that works... use it.. then you dont have to blame retail for your child being over assertive. As far as your complaint goes... Shop at wal mart.. that way no one can find your un-medicated kid and there for no one will care.

• Dt
      23rd of Jun, 2011

If you can't control your child, don't put her in situations like that. I'm sure the manager wouldn't have been yelling at your husband if he was just raising his voice. She probably perceived this as your husband yelling at a child and tthought the child was in trouble. They make medicine that controls add and there are ways better than yelling to get your child to comply, which as a pediatrician your husband should know. I honestly think that at least half of 'add children' are just parents who can't control their children so they put a disease on it so they don't get blamed. If I saw a man yelling at a child in such a way as I thought abusive then I would definitely call the police because you can never be sure. And what was your husband doing at the door yelling instead of going after the child when she was running around the store?