Discover Card / terrible experience!

1 Wilmington, DE, United States Review updated:

What Ever You, Do not Get a Credit Card from Discover Card. I always pay more than the minimum allowance before payment is due and I have a good credit score, and they raised my APR to 22.99%!!! People that consistently miss payments and go over the limit have this APR. I probably could get the same APR at a car title loan place. I called in today and asked if they can lower my rate because I pay my bill on time every month and I am only using $2, 200 of the $11, 200 available to me. The soft spoken representative named Pam tells me that they currently don't have any lower purchase rates available at this time. 'Well why did my Apr go up?', I asked.

'In November 2007 Discover Card had a evaluation and decided to raise everyone's rates.', was her reply. And to rub salt in the wound she finishes by saying that if I have any other balances I want to transfer over today, I can get a 5% APR on them.
Well I rather stick my hand in the garbage disposal and turn on the switch before I give Discover any more of my business. So if you are reading this post to decide if you should get a credit card from them.

DON'T DO IT... JUST SAY NO. And you won't have to worry about them bending you over to.

Va

Comments

• Me
      9th of Dec, 2008

PAY YOUR BILLS ON TIME

• St
      16th of Jan, 2009

"Pay your bills on time, Melissa" is lame. I have an 830 credit score, 2 Visa cards with 4.9% and 7.9%, respectively, and Discover raised my APR to 24.9% with the same hoo-haw on why, when I bothered to ask. I was paying off a balance transfer on my Discover with 5.9 for life of balance, but in error made a purchase on Amazon quick check out. After that purchase went through, they raised my rate from 13.9 to 24.9%. All my payments went first to the balance with lower rate, none to purchase balance.

Congress has passed a law against this policy, but it won't go into effect until the middle of 2010. In the meantime, I was offered a 3.9% card from my credit union, no balance transfer fee and transferred the whole amount that was just at $3K over. No more Discover Card purchases. They still send me balance transfer offers--sure, DC, when the Sonoran Desert freezes over.

Disclosure: I have no over-due payments on any balance, excellent credit--my agent at American Family said I was "super A+" and lowered my auto policy amount by half, and my home property insurance premium reduced as well (AmFam checks credit history these days). Discover Card must be in trouble since it treats it's customers so poorly--they don't care about cust. service, just mining out every dollar they can.