Menu
Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services
reviews & complaints

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

96 complaints
32 resolved 64 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
K
3:05 pm

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - fraudulent practices

Discover card fraudulently added a protection plan to my account with out my authorization. When I contacted them in regards to this they said I approved them over the telephone. I have never spoken to them over the telephone and by all means avoid answering their phone calls to avoid rude representatives trying to force feed you products or services. I was appalled by how sneaky this company could be. I do not make purchases on my card and haven’t for years. I send them automatic payments each month to pay off my balance and neglected to review my statements for which I thought had no activity. To my dismay, they had been charging me for this protection plan. I think it is wrong for a company to be able to do this to a consumer. The red flag was raised when they lied to me and said I spoke to them over the phone when I am the only one who has access to that telephone number and ignored answering every one of their calls. I believe this company should be looked into and recommend all consumers to review all statements with them to make sure they are accurate.

K
Feb 16, 2010 8:19 am

Be careful when setting up automatic payments with discover card. My husband set up payments on his card at 200.00 a month about a year later he asked why his balance wasn't going down, I looked at the bill and it said we had a late fee. When calling them they said that He set up the auto pay after the due date. their solution was to give us 1 month of late fee back, we feel the customer service rep knew that they were setting it up after the due date . Now one year later when our interest rate should go down because of paying on time they called today to tell us that we missed our feb payment, we have not recieved the bill! They asked if we had problems with our mail man, i said no, we have a problem with a company that intentionally does not send a bill so that we end up with a late payment and our interest rate will remain high because of it. needless to say when we get our tax return back we are paying off and canceling the card, it will be the happiest day of our lives to not have to deal with such a dishonest company. As for those persons who work at discover I am guessing you are paid to post on these complaint sites to try to make Discover look better, it doesn't work.

N
10:30 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - shady due date practices

I have had a DiscoverCard for almost 10 years with the same due date for that entire time, always due on the 21st of each month.

I received my June 2009 statement and didn’t bother opening it until June 18 to pay my bill online. Imagine my surprise when I opened the envelope and I found they had changed my due date to June 12, so it was already past due!

I immediately called DiscoverCard to let them know I had not been informed of this and was told the notice was sent out 6 months ago regarding due date changes. She agreed to waive the late fee and she changed my due date back to the 21st. I paid my June payment at that time.

My July 2009 statement just arrived yesterday. Yes, the due date is now back at the 21st, but the late charge was not waived like I was promised last month when I called, PLUS my 14% APR has now changed to 26.99%. That is highway robbery! They tacked on a whopping $374.00 finance charge at the new 26.99% APR – which was way more than my payment I made in the previous month. They also raised my minimum payment due to $360.00 - an amount I certainly cannot afford.

I called DiscoverCard again, and she again promised to remove my $39 late fee, but she said she would have to send the part about reducing my APR to another department.

What do you want to bet they don’t reverse the $374.00 finance charge?

A year ago when I checked my credit score it was a little over 800. I hate to see what it is now. I would love to file bankruptcy to screw DiscoverCard over, but I’d only be hurting myself.

If I had another credit card to fall back on for emergencies, I’d tell DiscoverCard to stick my credit card up their you-know-what.

My fantasy is to see DiscoverCard go the way of AIG and the others.

G
Dec 19, 2012 8:19 am

Please boycott discover card at all cost. They are not competitive with other credit card going interest rates. They will range 14-18% and higher. They do not ahve any reasonable hardship programs. Their goal is to suck you dry. I was paying a $100 a month for just a $8000 revolving balance. When I tried to grieve or reduce the finance charges due to hardship, they laughed at me.

The customer service staff is heartless. I was a Dicovercard holder for over 20 years and it didn't mean nothing to them.
I finally paid them off, and closed out the account, requested my name to be taken off their mailing list, and I will boycott shopping at Sears as well.

Please do not allow yourselfs to fall prey to Discovercard.

Nov 27, 2012 8:19 am

I have been using Discovercard thinking that I am getting 1% reward... but read the reward rules carefully... you are getting .25% ...
thsi si the rule that most people like me forget to look for deep in the discover site:

For all other purchases you will earn a full 1% after your total annual purchase total exceeds $3, 000. Purchases that are part of your first $3, 000 earn .25%. Purchases made at select warehouse clubs, discount stores, and their affiliates also earn .25%. We do not include warehouse purchases or 5% category purchases in calculating your total annual purchases.

So when you use your card at most big stores... you are not getting 1% ... It seems that we are dealing with Insurance Company with Deductiables now!

2:05 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - theft and betrayal

I ordered flowers for Mother's Day from FTD and paid for them on my Discovery Card. A month later I noticed a $12.00 monthly charge on my Discovery Account from an unknown company. When I called the Discovery people they were quick to explain that when I bought the flowers I either checked a box or failed to check a box that lead to the purchase of some type of service. I asked them to reverse the charge but they refused suggesting I call the people who had scammed me. The Discovery Card rep then pointed out their phone number was listed on my Discovery card statement.

In forty years of credit card statements I have never seen a company phone number listed in the statement. Obviously Discovery Card is aware of the scams perpetrated on their customers and have found a way to pass complaints back to their customers who spot the scams. They abandon those too weak or too trusting to find the rip offs and seem satisfied to collect interest on phony services that have never been requested or delivered.

And the flowers were never delivered on time, FTD send me an email and offer a discount for late delivery which I accepted, but the flowers were never did arrive and I did get a credit for the purchase but the $12.00 charge would have gone on forever if I hadn't caught it.

Jun 16, 2013 8:19 am

Discover Card also rips off it's investors and even the taxpayers. They got themselves labeled a bank in 2008 to get TARP money. Instead of cutting expenses and acting responsibly, they decided to start sending 53 of their employees on trips to Key West twice a year, Las Vegas, Aspen, Miami, New York, Hawaii, etc. every year since. They are called the Local Markets group, and get paid to travel at least once a month to pretend they are putting up Discover stickers! The management knows this is happening, and won't stop it. They are still traveling, partying it up, and doing nothing. Most take a friend or family along, most of them do nothing at all but travel and stay at home getting paid in between trips to lay around. Unreal in this economy! It is criminal!

C
Dec 07, 2009 8:19 am

Oh my goodness, you are hilarious. First of all, it is DISCOVER card, not DISCOVERY. And the so called scam you are referring to is from a company most likely called RESERVATION REWARDS OR COMPLETE SAVINGS, they bill under many different names.
I did some research on this and found out pretty quickly. You can even search this complaint site for info. I shop with Shutterfly and they offer me this promotion every time I check out, please read the web site people! You probably did click on the check box without reading because you wanted to save $10 off your flower purchase. Do not blam Discover for this scam, please file a complaint with the Attorney General about this company. Just google RESERVATION REWARDS and you will see exactly what I'm talking about. They make millions each year off unsuspecting customers like you.

12:19 pm

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - balance transfer

On March 13, I responded to a mailed offer from Discover to open a card by requesting a balance transfer. As of May 22, that request has still not happened – despite numerous calls to the customer service center and e-mails.

At each instance that I have spoken with a Discover representative, I have been told that the issue is “in process” and to give it another 4-5 days. Finally on, May 6 I was sent an e-mail from Discover saying that the matter had been resolved and that Capital One had received the balance transfer. Capital One shows no such record, and is of course still billing me. Given that this matter has been going on for over two months (rather than the “up to two weeks” time period advertised on your website), I have to assume that I am being lied to.

I had no idea that Discover had such a terrible track record. I guess it pays to do a little research before accepting a credit card offer!

I am requesting a release from my balance transfer request - both with customer service and by writing to the corporate headquarters:

Carlos Minetti
Executive Vice President, Cardmember Services and Consumer Banking
2500 Lake Cook Road
Riverwoods, IL 60015

Harit Talwar
Executive Vice President, Card Programs and Chief Marketing Officer
2500 Lake Cook Road
Riverwoods, IL 60015

The lesson learned here is to NEVER do business with Discover Card. They flat out lie to you.

D
6:45 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - overcharged

I was a Discover Card member since 1987 with an excellent history of submitting payments days if not weeks before the posted due date. Last week I received my statement and to my surprise discover the interest rate on the card had increased to 29.9%, when I contacted Discover Card they informed me that they had increase the rate due to a couple of late...

7:36 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - unauthorized charges

Around 2005 I switched to online payments for most bills, including Discover. I didn't realize at that time somehow they decided to start charging me for protection insurance. I was looking for a receipt so I pulled the entire years worth of billing of the website and found I was paying for some sort of Discover Protection.

I called Discover and Discover Enterprise. It took 5 transfers, 2 disconnects and a about an hour to find I supposedly signed up for an insurance plan that I never agreed to. I asked who my agent was or when I signed up only to find it appeared about the same time I started the online payments. The charge never shows up when you pay your bills that way. It was small enough I missed it.

Well, knowing how fast Discover is when you miss a payment or goe over your limit. Fee, fee, fee. I thought they would be able to deal with this either on the phone or on line. Turns out I have to submit a letter to some PO box and was given two different boxes in 2 different states that might eventually read my letter. I called Discover back and made sure she actually stopped the insurance. Turns out the first woman didn't. Since this seems to be normal business practice of Discover and their insurance program, I filed a full complaint to the Wisconsin Insurance Commissioner's office and requested they place an immediate cease and desist order with them today. I don't know if it will ever be followed up on or not but I'm tired of being ripped off by big companies. How many others have been screwed like this? If you got hit with this scam, file your claims with your Insurance Commissioners too. If we can't get our money back we're going to make them pay with forfeitures to our states.

D
Dec 24, 2008 8:19 am

I have cancelled the credit card and they still keep charging to my account. I have called & can never reach anyone. It's a 9.99 charge every month & I want it stopped.
Thanks for your time.

Jan 13, 2009 8:19 am

This has been ongoing since 1999 and the harassment and extortion this bank has committed is unreal.

In 2004 I investigated an unfamiliar trade line on my credit report with Discovercard. They told me to send a letter in writing including my name, address, social, and any account identifying information to correct the information.

Within a month of complying, I started receiving calls from their office claiming I owed $6, 000. I told them the story, I did not recognize the account and was looking for information about the debt, how it originated, copies of signatures, sales receipts etc. to establish the true identity of the account holder. They told me at that point they added my social to the account and 'good luck' getting it removed. So much for amicably working to have the false information corrected.

I received a barage of harassing phone calls which all met with a copy of a letter asking for specific notarized information and signatures about the debt. This continued from [protected].

In one follow up call in 2006, it was finally admitted I answered their 'challenge' questions incorrectly and obviously the account was not mine. It was admitted on the phone that in 1999 they sent a pre-approval of credit in my name to an address I no longer lived at. They admitted the account was opened fraudulently. I requested something in writing indicating the trade lines would be removed. The woman was hesitant, but wanted to help and about a week later I got a very generic letter stating they instructed the credit reporting agencies to delete the trade line as the account was 'unverifiable'.

My state has a 6 year statute of limitations. It MUST drop. WRONG - Discover card sold the account to their junk debt buyer Weltman Weinebrg and Reis and that is another complaint all by itself with their illegal business practices and history of consumer fraud around the US.

So Discovercard gives my personal information to a junk debt buyer and the calls start again. I send only a copy of my letter stating the account was unverifiable, as well as a copies of the unanswered letters requesting information dating back to 2004.

The junk debt buyer elects to participate in the illegal use of court documents in an effort to phish for information. They put the documents in the name of 'Jane Doe' (obviously they don't know who legally is responsible). Then they put it in the name of someone else with the same first name/different last name than me - I don't even know this person. Then finally they add my name to it on the third attempt.

So here it is 2009 and I the credit reporting agencies refuse to delete the trade lines and allow re-aging of the account to make it appear as a recent charge off.

I write letters of complaint and Discover tells the Department of Banking I fabricated the 2004 document and refuse to comment on the illegal re-aging and still refuse to produce any validating documentation to reflect the ownership of the account and any associated charges.

Still - pending.

P
Feb 19, 2009 8:19 am

I set up automatic payments with discover for 2 of my 3 accounts for 4 months, because i use various accounts to pay i didn't want it to last longer. After 4 months Discovercard not only tried to debit my checking account again but kept doing 2 times a week for each account adding up charges on my bank account for insufficient fund carges over $500.00. Discover also charged me for bounce check fees. It got so bad i had to close my account and now my back is coming after me for the charges. when I spoke to a supervisor after about 100 calls in a month from Discover, she said she would make an adjustment to offset the charges, but the adjustment she came up with was to remove there fees only not my bank fees. I sent the letters and never had a response other than 4 or 5 calls a day to the office where i work. When the call they don't state the call is being recorded and when I tell them I am going to record the call at my end they hang up. The calls have gotten so bad that I lost my office position and I was told that if the calls don't stop I will be let go. Various people at the office have stated to Discover Reps that they are calling a business and the Phone does not belong to me so do not call but that Doesn't stop Discover. They have also discussed the issues with people in the office.

If an attorney is out there that can help please let me know.

0 0

This is not a complaint about Discover Card. However, I was told to check the progress of case # [protected] at this site, and I cannot find any place that I can submit my inquiry. Help, please. I do not know if I should pay the disputed amount by the payment due date, or if I should deduct the disputed amount. I do not want to have penalty and interest added if I pay the wrong amount.
Marcille Lawrence

Dec 24, 2008 8:19 am

report them to the Federal Trade Commission and Office of Thrift Supervision
You have to do both agencies - not just one or the other

They have been ignoring you - they cannot ignore the federal government

3:11 pm

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - scam and cheating

Opened a zero percent account. We've paid the bill every month on time. Out of the blue on the most recent billing statement they assert that we didn't pay the bill. We did pay the bill and have record of payment being made and subtracted from our bank account. Discover immediately raised our interest rate through the roof and nailed us with hundreds of...

8:42 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - dispute of charges

Ever been over-charged by a legitimate merchant for a legitimate purchase and had everyone fail to give you your money back? That' s my story with Discover Card and LetsTalk.com. Discover Card nor LetsTalk are not interested in helping customers who have been over charged resolve the over-charge issue and I'm living proof. Facts: 1) If they were they...

View 0 more photos
9:45 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - lost payments!!!

I recently called Discover to confirm why my November payment had not been posted to my credit card account only to learn Discover had no record of the payment. I learned from the account manager that due to Discover changing their payment address that several million payments are missing!!! And the company is charging late fees and finance charges to all...

12:13 pm

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - unauthorized billing

Discovercard.com is not posting and/or backdating transaction dates for purchases. On the website, it is not possible to see a current balance within a few days of the end period. No matter what I do, I cannot pay off the balance 'in full' because they do not disclose the actual balance due and do not post recent transactions in a timely manner such that I may pay off the balance before the due date.

Example: I purchased an item on Sept. 15. I logged into the website on the 16th. The transaction had not posted to the 'recent activity' portion and the total balance for purchases did not reflect that activity. Therefore I concluded that the transaction had not gone through. I paid the entire balance that was available on the website on Sept. 16. On Sept. 17 I logged in and printed out the recent activity section, which still showed no items purchased on Sept. 15, but did show that I paid off all open transactions in full and there was a zero balance on Sept. 17 (the last day of account period).

On Sept. 18, the first day of the new account period, I logged in to see that my statement of account for the previous period showed the charge from Sept. 15, which was never accounted for on the website. This means that there WAS a balance, but that balance was NOT reported to me until AFTER the closing period under which I may have paid it off.

I went to the printable statement for the period ending Sept. 17, and lo and behold, the charge from Sept. 15 magically appears for that date of Sept. 15, which is inaccurate because it did not show up on the website on that date or on the two business days after (though another charge does show up on the 16th) under the recent activity or outstanding balances sections.

This is backdating transactions to make it seem like I carry a balance each month. It exposes any subsequent charges to double cycle billing practices by this company.

To Discovercard: Stop backdating transactions. Your website earlier this year did account accurately balances up to the due date and you changed that. If transactions do not show up on the website prior to the end of the billing cycle, they should not be charged as part of that billing cycle or reflected as being 'posted' at that time when in fact they were not posted.

I have time-stamped PDFs of the website and the transactions to back up this claim.

This is a fraudulent accounting practice and needs to be stopped. It is an attempt to expose previous cycle activity to double cycle interest rates for any future balances, by not allowing consumers to completely pay off their balances within a cycle. Since Discovercard changed their website earlier this year I have been unable to EVER pay in full before the end of the grace period, as there are always transactions that did not in anyway show up on the website or in the recent activity balances due section, but did show up on the statement AFTER the period was over, complete with inaccurate posting dates.

Y
Jan 22, 2009 8:19 am

Discover Card cheated me by jacking up my interest rate from 9.7% to 23 % b/c I missed one payment b/c they send the bill late. And I've been keeping watch, they'll send the bill late every now and then, or not send it all at.

You would think it might be the postal problem but I have two credit cards and it occurs only with Discover. i have since then closed my account with them and is looking to file complaints with whomever I find that'll listen to me.

Dec 04, 2008 8:19 am

Sounds like Discover has been taking lessons from GE MoneyBank.

10:53 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - bogus reward program

I have a Discover Card. I redeemed my rewards dollars for an Enterprise Rent a Car certificate for $40. I rented a car at Enterprise Rent a Car at Oakland, CA. I gave them my Discover Card certificate. They accepted it. I did sign the rental for a total charge of $35. Later, I checked my credit card bill and I had been charged the full amount of $35 and no credit for the certificate. I contacted Enterprise. They said Discover refused to honor the certificate. I contacted Discover. They reversed the charge while they investigated. Later, I put the charge back on my bill with no explanation.

First, Enterprise should have returned the certificate if Discover would not honor it or, at a minimum, wrote me a letter indicating the same. They had my address.

Second, Discover performed a sham investigation into the matter and never provided a legitimate result of their investigation.

They should have a record of Enterprise attempting to cash the certificate. So I am out my $40 Discover reward and I paid an additional $35 for the car. Do not cash in your Discover rewards for these bogus certificates. Take the cash!

Avoid rental car companies. They are all operated like boiler rooms and charge customers for bogus damages.

E
Feb 24, 2011 8:19 am

This also happened to me - and I was very attentive every step of the way. I believe this is common practice. Zero chance I will pay the charges, I will file with the credit reporting agencies and escalate this if need be. -E Dench

T
11:09 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - trillion dollar hold placed on bank accounts!

I had a Discover Card that I had an approximate balance of $3, 000. on. I had some unforeseen circumstances, mostly medical, that caused me to fall behind in payments. Discover turned my account over to an attorney, who took me to court. In the past two months they have received judgment on me for the $3, 000 with an interest rate of 21.99% and attorney fees of around $1, 000. I had offered to pay the attorney's $50.00 but they would not accept it, so that is why they took me to court, because they felt like I was not willing to pay my debt.

As of yesterday, 5-16, 08, the attorneys have placed a trillion dollar hold on three bank accounts that my name is on; mine, my mother's, and my daughter's. All of us are unable to access our accounts. I am assuming that the reason they are doing this is because they would not be able to garnish my pension (state law), and the other income I have would give them only $50.00, (25% of my earnings). My daughter's and my mother's accounts have the money to pay the debt, but it will leave both of them with nothing. The attorney had told me that Discover will not mess with you and it's obvious that this is true. It appears that they will do whatever it takes to receive their money.

My suggestion to anyone who is looking to have a Discover Card. BEWARE! If you lose your job or have an unexpected illness and are unable to pay your bill, expect to be turned over to attorneys. I'm sure that I am not the only one this has happened to and I'm sure I won't be the last. I have absolutely nothing good to say about Discover, their attorneys, or the tactics that they have used to recover a $3, 000. debt.

Jul 23, 2008 8:19 am

I would consult with an attorney, especially if you dealt with Weltman, Weinberg, and Reis. These are junk debt buyers known for manipulating the courts and have been sued in all 50 states because of their illegal practices.

I have a suit myself pending against Discover for giving them my personal info (when the account wasn't even mine). Can't sue the agency because no damages other than harassment and falsification of court documents to illegally phish for personal information to put people in your situation.

May 19, 2008 8:19 am

Credit cards aren't a free lunch and the don't take the dramatic step of going to court to collect until they have exhausted all other possibilities. Did you offer to make small payments with them? Did you simply ignore the bills and not even call to tell them what was going on? None of these companies WANT to go to collections, it's expensive and it means they lose a customer. They will work with you, but you have to work with them too.

4:13 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - terrible experience!

What Ever You, Do not Get a Credit Card from Discover Card. I always pay more than the minimum allowance before payment is due and I have a good credit score, and they raised my APR to 22.99%!!! People that consistently miss payments and go over the limit have this APR. I probably could get the same APR at a car title loan place. I called in today and asked...

1:32 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - usurious increase in apr by discover card

Discover Card APR interest rate increased to 24.99% - but nothing negative on credit report and all Discover payments made timely. I have had a Discover Card for quite some time. Recently, they raised my interest rate to 24.99%. When I called the company to find out the reason they stated there was nothing wrong with my Discover payment history or credit...

12:00 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - it's another way of collecting additional fees from people

I went online to pay Discover bill for this month. I found they had charged an over limit fee of $39. I had paid minimum due amount and didn't understand why over limit.

I subtracted minimum due from previous balance and came under limit so I called Discover. They said even though I paid minimum due that when added finance charges it made it over limit. Now, she double talked on this issue. I asked her if that was the case why wasn't the minimum due higher in over to take care of it. She said they had no way of knowing what the finance charges were going to be so they couldn't do that. I said, "So, you can't but I'm supposed to mind-read and figure it out myself. She then went on to say that the finance charges are actually from the month before and that I should have some idea from what they were previously.

Now, if that's the case, they should be able to do the same thing. My guess is, it's another way of collecting additional fees from people. They know perfectly well that people will pay minimum due without thinking to double check the finance charges and will thus occur over limit fees, late fees, etc., etc., etc.

Who does one write to complain about this sort of business?

Mar 24, 2009 8:19 am

Minimum payments are based on 2 to 4% of the account balance. Future interest rate charges are not considered in the minimum payment amount. Users of credit cards need to think about this. If you have a balance of $2900 and your limit is $3000 you will be in trouble if you only pay the minimum amount of $60.00 when your interest is figured at 29.99%. After your payment is made your next months balance will still be charged your interest and your balance will be over $3000. The next thing you know is that you have mysteriously gone over your limit and are now incurring fees. Common sense, minimum payments only get you in trouble and you have to do some basic math to stay in control of your credit accounts.

Dec 09, 2008 8:19 am

Get a life, you stayed at MOTEL 8, you sound pathetic anyway...geesh, you sound like someone who has no business having a credit card John...

Nov 14, 2007 8:19 am

And what a dirty credit card this has turned out to be, and on my trip~Misrepresentation of fees, lying, not helping with disputed charges at Motel 8, Pet fees not pet friendly, wanted $15. per cat, did not honor the coupon rate in the Florida coupon saver and Room Rates Misrepresented by Motel 8 at I-95 Saint Augustine, Florida in violation of Florida Statute 509, Misleading and False Advertising, no shower, dirty shower and no fan in Motel 8, noisy, smelled like chemicals, would not honor the $42. price and
Discover Card ignores all material facts in this matter, and lets Motel 8 get away with it with charging me over limit fees in the hundreds of dollars, just hidden fees, extending credit overlimit not requested by the customer and the hundreds of over limit charges on the Discover card~Usary, Lying about taking charges off, lying about what is owed to them to bring it under the limit $6,100~dirty card Lying people now I will have to go court in Wilmington, Delaware, see a lot of class action lawsuits against Discover Card.

12:00 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - discover cards customer service is on the decline

My family has used discover card almost exclusively for years. In the past few months, we have had problems getting our statements in the mail. Most of our cards are paid off each month in full, some by bill pay and others by mail. The statements by mail seem to be the problem. For the past two months the statements were not received. I brought this to the attention of discover card customer service. Again this month I did not receive a statement, but received several weekend phone calls from discover card collections telling me that my payment was 47 days overdue. When I received the phone call on Sunday, I explained that I was called a few days ago and informed of the specific amount and had mailed a check in for that amount in full and that I had not received a bill or notified of the amount that was due prior to the phone call. The first Rep could not explain to me why I had not received the statement notification, but recommend that I call my local post office regarding the problem. She stated that she would remove the additional charges and she verified the amount of the check that had been mailed. I assumed that all was taken care of. Well several days later, I received another call from Discover card collections regarding the same payment. I explained to the Rep what was discussed during a previous call from them regarding the same payment. She stated that the record did not show any adjustments previously agreed to by the first rep and that I did not tell the previous rep that I had mailed in the payment which was not true. She demanded that I tell her the exact amount of the check. In other words she accused me of lying. I was shocked.

My family has been using Discover card for years. We all have excellent credit. But for their lousy mailing procedures, we would not be at odds with them. It is clear to us that Discover card?s customer service is on the decline. We plan to seek better customer service and I have no doubt that our outstanding credit record will not hinder us from locating other replicable credit card services.

P
May 11, 2019 8:19 am

Discover blocked me from calling, them and question about their practices anyway I had a third party call them and they discuss my account in length with the third party on line I should, have been notified that they, had blocked me from calling them to discuss

S
Oct 22, 2018 8:19 am

I had $2000 of transactions I didn't make. They are not giving my money back.

Dec 28, 2008 8:19 am

you need me email me better ok?
why did you declinced 12 year ago i'm very good buying for me you said i already apply what i do ?
please tell me email me any time ?

Oct 25, 2008 8:19 am

IF YOUR TIME IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, NEVER USE CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD. They are the worst in the industry! For the 4th or 5th time in a few months, they have put a hold on my credit card for no reason. It is so embarrasing! I am waiting in line to pay the cashier at a supermarket and the card gets declined. I know that there is plenty of money on the card, so I called the customer service number. Guess what? I am transferred to India, where I could barely understand the customer rep's thick Indian accent. I had to repeat my card number several times, then she argues that the number I gave is not a legitimate number. I said, "What?!" I am reading the card that you, guys issued me and I have been using this same card for years. Then, she puts me on hold for several minutes. Upon her return, I remind her that I am still holding up the line at the supermarket and people are starting to glare at me like it's my fault that my credit card is having problems. The service rep asks me to repeat the credit card number 2 more times, puts me on hold for 3 more minutes and then says that there is no hold on the card and for the cashier to try to run it again. For the 4th time, the store cashier runs the card and again, the computer screen says that the card is declined. I tell the service rep this, and she still insists that it is not on their end, but on the store's end. The cashier runs the card 2 more times. Same thing. I ask the service rep to be transferred to a supervisor and she says in "an-i-don't-give-a-crap" voice, "I can't transfer you until I exhaust all the troubleshooting possibilities. What are the last 3 digits on the back of your card?" I give her the number and she says, "That is an invalid code". Again, I shriek, '"What?! I am simply reading the back of my card and I have used this code and this card for years? What is going on?" She says (amused), "Hold the line..." Again, I was on hold for several minutes, then she comes back on the line and said, "I don't see any problem on the card. Run the card again... Maybe this time it will work." I ask the cashier (who at this time, is now glaring at ME), to run the card one last time. Guess what? Card is still declined and the phone goes dead!

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services contacts