Menu
Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services
reviews & complaints

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

97 complaints
32 resolved 65 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
L
6:41 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - balance transfer

Beware of Discover's offer for 0% balance transfers. I was aware that there is a charge for balance transfers. However, I was surprised to learn that my minimum payment would be approx. 2% of the amount owed plus $40. I never encountered, on any credit card that I have, a $40 charge in addition to the 2% of the amount owed. Speaking to customer service reps or supervisors is talking to a wall. I was told that I was sent literature on this, but I did not receive it. And, by that time, the transfer most likely already went through. I am on a very limited income. Although I make more than the minimum balance on all my cards, it should be my choice if I decide to make the minimum only, should in that particular month my real estate taxes, car and /or home ownes insurance is due and I need that extra money. When you are on a limited income, $40 is $40. I can see where people get disgusted with banks and stop paying altogether. However, I end up paying for them in the end. And, so do you!

L
Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I was on a 12 month payment program with Discover card that allowed me a reduced interest rate of 14.99 %. For 12 months, a payment was automatically taken out of my bank account.
Now that the program has ended my new statement reflects a new interest rate of 28.99%. Really? My reward for being on their one year program equals a nearly double the interest rate? How am I supposed to be able to pay this down?
I called customer service and receive a letter in the mail stating, at this time they cannot lower my rate.

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - f59424192

Ac # F594241952
I am disputing this account because I have never owned a discover card. My wife Betty Praylow, who is deceased, or my son Ralph Praylow jr. had access to my ss number to make these accounts in my name. I have never used a discover card and never owned one.
I am requesting that this debt of $7, 448.69 be removed from my name.

May 25, 2011 2:06 am

The way your bank sees it is that if a friend or family member benefited from this account, with or without your permission, you indirectly benefited. I have only worked with visa/mastercard disputes, so i am not trained with discover card regulations, but we would require you to file a police report against the individual if you know who did this. If you are not willing, we assume that in some way you benefited from that account, otherwise everyone could just call in and get away with thousands of $$ that they rightfully owe.

3:26 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have received an offer from the DISCOVER Card Services in February 2011. They offered 0% APR for 15 months, $0 set-up and maintenance fees for the life of the card. They also offered in their letter $100 reward as soon as I make $1, 000 in purchases within 3 months on my account. I called the DISCOVER on the 1 800 364 5188 from my Brooklyn home on March...

View 0 more photos
1:28 pm

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - unfounded, not proven allegations of money owed

Been receiving harrassing phones calls from a collection agency, CBCS accusing me of owing Discover Card a balance of $7266.00. The person that was being accused lived in TX. The problem, I've never been to nor have I ever lived in the state of TX. Finally, CBCS I hoped realized there was a serious mistake being made. Today, March 9th received a notice stipulating they stopped their collection procedures on this account and they were giving it back to Discover Card. They did however suggest that I submit three forms of identification to Discover. I say, let Discover Card contact me and send proof that this account is mine.I just they think because I'm a Sr Citizen easy prey, intimidated and manipulated in compliance with a fraudlent scheme to distord money. This is what it's esp when you do not owe what you are being accused of. Do figure.

H

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - do not give them your money

Do not give them your money !
They can transfer the money via ACH to their account when you open it. But when you close the accout, the ACH transfer is limited to $50K per month to external account outside Discover. It took them 2-3 business days to close an account (not including fund transfer time). They asked me to fax a letter to request closing my account, so I did. But 24 hours later when I called again, they could not find my fax.
They are a mess. Do not do business with them.
Your money will get stuck with them.

4:36 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - incorrect 5% bonus cash back calcuations

I was appalled to find out that the cash back bonus calculations of Discover is inaccurate. I signed up for the travel and restaurents 5% cash back bonus program for 2011 Jan-March season and noticed that they have not paid the 5% bonus for a $5000 airticket purchase I had made for my family. When I contacted the service person on chat, they casually mentioned that its my fault for not checking the cash back bonus all these days. Beware of this scam and dont trust Discover to provide your cash back accurately...

2 comments
Apr 22, 2011 12:47 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Unless it is purposeful misleading of customers, Discover has a glitch in their system - just like the original poster I have the same problem. I understand the cap and I expect no more than $40 in cashback for travel category but they have so far not paid me and I am not giving up easily :)
They just keep sending me from one person to another with false/ignorant information. When I initially spoke with them they said that I would get it in 8-10 weeks of time. Now the travel category period has expired and I don't see it. I have written communication with them on file that shows how ignorant and helpless they feel. The last one recommended me to call back again and talk to a supervisor, which I am going to do.
I can foresee a class-action lawsuit coming their way with this kind of practice...

Apr 05, 2011 2:01 am

The cashback bonus can be confusing. I was confused when I first started using it. There are caps on the cashback bonus. I know the cap for the particular promo you are talking about is $800.00. After you spend that your cashback bonus % goes back down to your standard rate (depending on your card). So if you cap out on the travel, rest. category, the total cashback bonus rewards you earn is $40.00 and then if you spent more you'll earn your standard cashback bonus. I was confused because I thought (the very first time I heard of cashback bonus) was that they PAID you or you received a discount at the time of purchase. I found out though, after reading about it, that you receive cashback bonus in a bank (which is your cashback bonus bank) that they have on file with your account that you can later redeem for gift cards or cash. I hope this helps! I really love the cbb :)

C
5:08 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - underhanded interest practice

Discover made a balance transfer offer to us at 0% interest for six months. Very nice. Took one for $1500 at Xmas time. The remaining balance was paid in full every month. I did not notice until this month that there had been an interest charge made on the new monthly balance, which as I said gets paid in full each month. Come to find out unless you pay off your entire balance, INCLUDING THE 0% balance transfer amount, they charge interest on EVERY new purchase from THE DAY IT IS MADE. My husband bought a new computer this past month so the balance was higher than normal, but we still were planning to pay the entire balance off, except for the 0% balance transfer. So what good is it to accept their 0% balance transfer? So lucky me, I was getting 0% interest on $1500 but having to pay 12.9% interest on all my other charges of over $4, 000 with NO GRACE PERIOD. They do not warn you of this practice when they offer the balance transfer. It is only after the fact, in small print after interest has already been added to your statement. So even if you are able to pay off your purchase balance every month DO NOT ACCEPT A BALANCE TRANSFER FROM DISCOVER. I called to complain and the agent agreed that it was not a fair practice. I think she was surprised when I told her the details. But of course no offer to credit my account was made.

G
Feb 04, 2011 5:26 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

How is this their fault? Know what you are doing before you do it and thing's like this won't happen...

1:40 pm

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - refused to honor servicemember's protection act

I am a reservist who was recalled to extended active duty. My status clearly qualifies me for protection under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. I sent Discover Card a copy of my orders and other documentation they requested within the required time period. In fact, I sent my orders on five separate occasions. Each time, I received a boilerplate response from Discover with an excuse why they did not have to comply with the law.

On two occasions, I received a response that my reserve service (which was active duty -- I worked alongside my regular Air Force counterparts and put myself in harm's way just like them) did not qualify, and/or that only my husband could get protection. I wrote back each time, explaining they were making an error in law, and providing my orders once again.

Now the statutory time period (180 days) for filing for protection has expired, and they are denying my request on that ground. When I called to explain that I had already sent my orders in a timely manner, I got connected with a very hostile customer service supervisor, who pretty much blew me off.

I give Discover Card a D- for how it deals with servicemembers. Discover -- shame on you for not following the law.

T
7:03 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I received an offer from Discover Personal Loans in the mail saying I had a superior rating of 5.0 and could apply for a personal loan at 7.99%. I was denied the loan because of high cc balance (I only have 1 cc - that is Discover) and was attempting to use the loan money to pay off (completely) the Discover cc. This is truly a scam when I can't even pay...

6:03 pm

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - non coverage of loss

My elderly father had his credit cards stolen by a home health aide caring for him. On her 1st day working my father let her use the Discover card to buy some groceries. She returned the card the same day. She later stole the Discover card as well as 2 other cards and used his personal info to get a password over the phone. She withdraw over $1200 on the Discover card and my father was never alerted by them. Now Discover won't cover the loss because they said my father let her use the card on his first day out of the hospital.

F
11:47 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - beware

I HAVE BEEN A DISCOVER CARDHOLDER FOR MANY YEARS AND PAY ALL MY BILLS ON TIME.I DID NOT RECEIVE MY MONTHLY STATMENT, WHICH TOTALED $11.99. THEY HAD SENT IT TO THE WRONG ADDRESS.THEY SAID ONCE A BILL IS RETURNED THEY NEVER SEND ANOTHER BILL. DUE TO NOT RECEIVING MY BILL, I MISSED THE PAYMENT. THEY SENT THIS INFO TO THE CREDIT BUREAUS AND IT ADVERSELY LOWERED MY CREDIT SCORE BY 85 POINTS.

THE LATE FEE WAS $19 AND MY BILL WAS $11.99. I CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WAS TOLD THAT DISCOVER CARD DOES NOT HAVE TO SEND YOU A BILL, IT IS YOUR REPONSIBILITY TO PAY IT. THEY HAD NO UNDERSTANDING AND SINCE I HAVE ALWAYS PAID THAT BILL AND ALL MY BILLS ON TIME IT IS SO UNFAIR THAT THIS IS GOING TO RUIN MY CREDIT FOR 7 YEARS. THEY WERE SO RUDE AND TOLD ME THEY CAN"T REVERSE IT BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT AT FAULT. THEY WON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY AND THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SOMEHOW SENT IT TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. I HAD A VERY RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT. PLEASE BEWARE AND DON'T LET SOMETHING LIKE THIS RUIN YOUR CREDIT- WHEN IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT.

H
9:59 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My brother took out a discover card in my name, discover sent the card to him at his address, he paid on it out of his bank account!! When we found out we did the right thing, we called, we filed fraud charges, we filed a police report, we sent certified letters, we put a fraud alert on our credit report. Disvoer is calling us, hounding us, calling our...

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - felony telephone harassment

Discover Card began calling our home 2-3 times a day in April 2010. They were looking for a person that we do not know, that has not had the phone number they are calling or lived at this address. After the first few calls, we made it a point to 'pick up' the phone and talk to someone as they had a error that needed correcting. Their repugnant refusal that we ARE the person they are calling and demanding our account information made us suspicious. So we asked them not to call back and immediately contacted Discover Financial via their web page and calling their 800 number. All that resulted from this is that they now have called us daily 5-6 times per day for this other person for a fraud protection inquiry. This past week they have called in excess of 5x daily Sun-Sat and will not stop calling.
I can't sleep anymore without turning off our phone. With a dependent traveling the US on college break, this is very un-wise. I have already lost several days of work as I was unable to sleep with them calling multiple times per hour once they knew someone was home. This is blatant telephone harassment, and I am not even the person they want to talk to.

F
May 08, 2010 6:36 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

THey can be reported for harassment with the multiple phone calls. I would encourage you to let them know next time they call that they are in violation of the fair debt collection act (as well as telling them again that they have the wrong person) and let them know they are about to be reported. Contact the better business bureau if you haven't allready. I wish you luck on this.

D

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - apr changed for no reason

I was promised a 7% rate on a balance transfer from Discover. I needed a new roof, mine was leaking, so I took the offer and had several thousand transfered from Discover to my bank account. The 7% APR was suppossed to last a few years, just enough time for me to pay off the debt completely. Problem is that 4 months later they upped it to 24.99% interest instead! I called and complained as I couldn't afford the new rate. They told me I had payed late on a payment. I looked into my records and found that I had actually payed the payment in question a full two weeks early! I called back and complained again. They basically told me to get lost! I tried to pay as best as I could but my husband lost his business and we were left penniless so I stopped paying and started gathering info to do a bankruptcy. However, Discover came in, one week before the bankruptcy was to be filed, with a lawsuit against me to make me pay something I cannot afford and didn't agree upon. This company is slimmy, evil and just downright dishonest. Never ever deal with them if you can avoid them. Their dishonesty and heartless cruelness is appauling.

3:21 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Here’s the problem: 1) Why should any consumer be required to give Discover access to his or her checking account to be eligible for a reduced payment? What if I did not have a bank account or closed my bank account and was paying via money order? Do you mean to tell me if that is the case the person is not eligible for a reduced payment program?????? If...

O
11:04 am

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - misplaced funds/customer service

I will limit this horror story to the most relevant details; a full recitation would be too tedious to write and to read.

On Nov.17 2009 I requested a transfer of $1000 from my Discover Bank online savings account to my local Wachovia checking account which I had previously registered on the Discover website to enable transfers between the two accounts.
Five days later I received an email saying that Wachovia had rejected the transfer and instructing me to call to resolve the issue. I was puzzled because my Wachovia account is and has been in good standing for many years. I called the Discover customer service number and the person who spoke to me was baffled when I told him about the email. He transferred me to another person (after a long time on hold). That person was equally clueless. Thus began an unbelievable ordeal. Over a period of days I was repeatedly transferred from one person to another, with long periods on hold, having to explain the matter from the top to each one.

On the "Overview" page of my account on the Discover website it was indicated that Wachovia had rejected the transfer because they could not identify the account. I soon detected the reason: the disguised account number shown in the email and on my Discover page was twelve digits; my Wachovia account number actually has thirteen digits. To verify the mistake I asked one person to read me my Wachovia account number shown in their records. I was correct, one digit had been dropped. I pointed this out to each person I spoke to but it didn not seem to register with any of them.

At one point I became so exasperated that I demanded that the account be closed and an official check be sent to me. When I received the check it was $1000 less than my correct balance; The thousand dollars in question had apparently vanished into thin air. More phone calls--more time spent on hold--no rusults.

Incredibly over a span of forty-three (43!) days I spoke to thirty-six (36!) individuals by actual count. I estimate that I spent about five hours on the phone (mostly on hold) Twice I was told that the person would research the issue and call me back. That did not happen. Once I was told that if I wrote a letter formally closing the account I would be issued a check for the missing money. I sent the letter and received no response whatsoever. The last person I have spoken with told me they still needed to verify that Wachovia had rejected the transfer. This after forty-three days and despite the fact that they had sent me an email to that effect and despite the fact that the "Overview" page of my account on the Discover website clearly indicates that to be the case.

[email protected]#$#[email protected][email protected]$

This nightmarish experience was generated by a simple typographical error compounded by a shocking level of indifference and incompetence on the part of Discover Bank's customer service reps and by their apparent confusion over the banks processes. The matter is not yet resolved.

Discover is truly the Bank from Hell. Lawyers riding on elephants could not induce me to deposit another cent in this bank.

2:47 pm

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services - fees on cds, money market

I have recently opened up a money market and two CD account with Discover.

I experienced terrible delays in processing my transactions, deposits, withdrawls and any other request, the customer service was the worst and arrogant reps at discover bank.

My check book was ordered and did not delivered to me for almost two months, and debit card never arrived for 3 months till I closed the account.

Due to this horrendous practices of Discover Savings (Bank), I moved out my money market funds. But, when I asked them to close my CDs and deposit the money back, there was so much of hassels they created that I have to send them in writing and only fax can be accepted.

When I send the fax as per their request, they told me after three days that I did not agree for fees. Yes, my fax clearly states that they have to any early withdrawl fees because I am closing discover cds because of their terrible customer service and delays in transactions.

The account manager kept me on the phone for few min to discuss it with her seniors or whoever, came back and said, they will not waive any fees on my CDs?. So, I have to send another fax clearly stating I acknowledge and agree for the fees?. Despite my request, the account manager did not help me.

Discover bank and their administration has to be investigated by FDIC, federal regulators and consumer advocate groups for their deception and cheating behaviors of innocent customers.

1:09 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Fellow Hardworking American Citizens, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET A DISCOVER CARD!!! (Have a bake sale, a car wash, sell stuff on ebay, but don't get screwed by a credit card company, like I am gettting screwed (BUT NOW FIGHTING BACK) ...DON'T GET ANY CREDIT CARD FOR THAT MATTER. I KNOW YOU HAVE HEARD THIS BEFORE, BUT IT CAN'T HURT TO HEAR IT...

3:54 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I just thought I would let you know about a public interest issue that you might want to pursue. Long story short and I can provide more details if needed I applied from a mailer for a card got approved got the card sent to me and I activated it with a $6000 credit limit... I procrastinated in doing the balance transfers (apparently there was a time...

C
1:40 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I signed up for a Zero Percent card with Discover. Recieved my Cards in the mail and activated the cards. 2-3 months later I recieved a paper stating that my account cards had not been activated. When calling the number on the paper it asked for my Social Security Number. I promptly ended the call. I called Discover directly to inquire as to whether my...

Discover Bank / Discover Financial Services contacts