Direct TV / lied to about local channels

Van Alstyne, TX, United States Review updated:
On october 22, 2008, when I called directv to get information in my process of making a decision on switching from cable to directv, I specifically asked about getting local dallas channels. I was told that I could get them, I just had to sign a waiver and wait 4 weeks. The sales woman said the local cable company had a monopoly on the local channels, which the fcc was requiring them to discontinue as of february 2009. The sales woman gave me a great deal, so I went ahead and signed up for service. One of my co-workers lives near me, same county, same zip code, has directv and they get the local dallas channels, and they never went through any waiver process to get them.

A few days after installation, I was talking to a guy who used to install satellite tv service in my area, and he told me that everyone he new, recently, had been denied local channels. At no time was I informed by the directv sales woman that only 1 out of 5 waiver requests are approved.

For the past week, I have been having almost daily e-mail correspondence with customer service reps from directv. The first response to my question on the waiver was that only 1 in 5 requests are granted, and that it is not directv that has any control over this situation. Here is the latest e-mail response on this subject: "i understand your frustration with not being able to get local channels in your area. As you know, we don't carry locals in your area right now and we don't currently have plans to add it to our lineup. " he stated that the waiver request submitted on my behalf has been sent to new york and la. He also stated that he knows nothing about the fcc requiring the local cable company to discontinue their monopoly on the local channels.

If they don't carry local channels in my area, then why was I told that I could get the local dallas channels, and why does my nearby co-worker get them?

Now i'm locked into a 2 year contract with no abc, nbc, cbs, fox, cw, etc. I expect that I will now have to purchase a new outdoor antenna to receive these channels, and then I will have to use an ancient vcr to record my series programs when I am unable to watch them live. My service includes 2 dvrs, but they won't record channels off the antenna.

I would be very interested to know if anyone else has been deceived regarding local channels in the outlying areas of dallas, texas.
Cj

Comments

Ti
  10th of Dec, 2008
Hi, i completely agree with your compalain against dtv. Im working with dishnetwork, y dnt u try dish network m sure u can get a very good deal with dishnetwork with your locals as well as a DVR for 2 tvs.
If you want any type of information on this you can call me on 18002523701 n ask for my name Tina Jones n my extention is 4443 or you can orward me your phone number n i can check weather u qualify for locals n the promotion.
St
  13th of Nov, 2009
This is a fake story !!!
St
  13th of Nov, 2009
The comments are not true
Di
  1st of Nov, 2010
As of November 2010, this is still going on. I was told that local channels were available for Terre Haute, IN - Made the switch - and now have abc, cbs & nbc out of New York. Customer service is much less than satisfactory as "local" channels were requested specifically by myself, for my area. Now stuck in a 2 yr. contract with no remedy offered from them. They'll sell anything, don't sign off on the install without confirmation.

DirecTV Logo DirecTV