Direct TV / good luck getting your money back

1 NC, United States Review updated:

I called back in September of 08 to move my Directv service. I was generally pleased with them (despite the DVR wouldn't record many times and that service went out every time it rained outside) and I was only a year into my two year contract. When I called to schedule a move, the sales lady asked me if I would like to sign up for NFL ticket. I said no and we then set up a time for a tech to come out to my new house. I hang up the phone only to discover, she shut off my HD service. No big deal, I called back, spent 45 minutes on the phone with another guy who turned it back on and gave me $50 credit for my trouble.
The tech comes to my new house to set up service, only to find I have too many trees and can not get a line of site. I ask if this will cause any problems with canceling my contract, he says no. I call to cancel my service and they tell me they are going to have to charge an early cancellation fee of $130. I tell her it because there was no line of site, not a problem I can fix. She tells me there are no tech notes indicating a line of site issue and that she can't help me, I'll have to file with billing dispute. Frustrated, I hang up and then call right back. I get another lady who finds the tech notes and says no problem. I will not get charged the fee.
I then get a bill charging me for the NFL ticket I did not order. I also get charged for the early cancellation fee and my $50 credit also gets taken off. After another three people and two hours go by, I finally get someone who takes off the NFL ticket and early cancellation fee and puts the $50 credit back on my account. I then get another showing the NFL ticket charge still on the account, no $50 credit put back on, but the early cancellation fee was removed. I called again to get the NFL ticket credited back and the issues get "escalated". I end up paying the $20 balance and saying forget it. I'm done fighting this.
In November and December I received a statement showing a credit of $146.59. I thought great, they’re paying me back for the $75 service I never ordered and balance of what was over paid on my account. In January I call to request a check sent to me to close out my account. Vera tells me, no problem the check will be sent. Two weeks later I received a statement with a credit adjustment made in the amount of $146.59. I call back to find out what happened. I was told, this was only showing that I would receive my payment and not to worry, the check was being processed. Two weeks later, I call to check on the status of my refund. I was told it was in the mail and she promised I would have it by the end of the week. Two weeks later, still no check. I call back. The guy told me it was credited to my credit card ending in 1028 with an expiration date of 3/12. I tell him I don't have a credit card that matches that number. He sends me to another lady and 45 minutes later she tells me that the credit was taken away from me because they mistakenly credited my account twice for the early cancellation fee. I never received any notification I received this credit twice. I asked her about the NFL ticket and $50 credit I was also suppose to receive and she stated I was credited those even though I was not. When I asked her why was continuously lied to, she had no response. I basically ended up telling her to keep the money because the six months I spent fighting for my money just wasn't worth it.
In summary, they will tell you one thing, you hang up and call back, you'll get another story. You might get a helpful person every now and then and you think, great someone with a brain is going to right the wrong. When the problem doesn't get fixed and you call back, and they never have record of your call. They will steal your money and laugh at you in the process.

Comments

• Jn
      19th of Aug, 2009

Did you ever get your money back?

I'm having the same problem, only the credit on my account is around $500. They could not set up my service when I moved, so they canceled it no problem. At the same time, they gave me a $33 credit for the movie channels they charged me for that they offered me for free when I requested their moving service. The installer came to my new house, but I had too many trees. I called to get a return kit for my DVR, which they sent. I sent the DVR back. A couple weeks later, I log into my online banking to pay some bills to find that my account balance is zero and has been overdrawn. DirecTv charged me $470. I called to find out why and they said they hadn't received the DVR. She asked for my tracking number from FedEx, which I gave to her. She said it was not my tracking number and I would have to call FedEx to get a tracking number. I hung up on her and pulled up my tracking number on the FedEx website. The DVR had been received by DirecTv 3 days earlier. I called DirectTv again, and after I told them they had the DVR and I had tracked it myself, they confirmed they had indeed received the DVR and I would get my money back in 1 to 3 days. What they ended up doing however was crediting my DirecTv account. They now say they will mail me a check within 4 to 6 weeks. I'm very angry. I never had a problem with their service prior to this and had no intention of canceling. I only disconnected my service because the installer could not get a signal at my new residence. I just want the money that never should have been taken from my account in the first place. I don't know what to do. I can't afford their mistake.