Direct TV / court/small claims over contract anybody??

1 MI, United States Review updated:

Same boat as most everyone else, disagreement over a contract I never knew existed until I tried to cancel. In fact, a customer service rep explicitly TOLD me there was NO contract when I joined. Blatant lie, but it caused me to join, so I guess he accomplished his mission. I joined through a general satellite provider of both Dish Network and DirecTV, they also told me there was no contract with DirecTV when signing up. Now that I've cancelled 8 months in, they hit me with a $200 early cancellation fee. Just wondering if anybody has taken their issues to small claims court, and if so, what was the outcome?

Ac

Comments

• Kw
      27th of Jul, 2009

I was told I had 30 days or a pro-rated $480 termination fee would be assessed. I canceled after 2 weeks and Direct TV rep told me that they would charge the termination fee to my credit card on file. I was shocked. Sheisty, shady policies. I reported this to Consumer Affairs. Have begun to complain on every blog I can find. How do these companies get away with this???

• Mo
      27th of Jul, 2009

my question is did the csr for the 3rd party company tell you there was no contract or was it an actual dirctv rep. if it was the third party company then most of your dispute should be with them for the lie.

• Ac
      30th of Jul, 2009

It was BOTH! The company, authorized by DirecTV to sell and install their service told me there was no contract. I followed up with a phone call DIRECTLY to DirecTV to make sure and they confirmed to me there was no term agreement. Perhaps I made the mistake of telling DirecTV that I would not be able to take on the service if there was a term agreement, due to my job uncertainty. So he lied to me and told me there was not so I would sign up. I certainly am not the first person on these boards that I discovered I have been lied to from these people. I did in fact file a small claims case against DirecTV yesterday. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and my states Attorney General. I will post what happens with the small claims case.

• Ac
      16th of Sep, 2009

To follow up on this... a week before the case was to be held, someone from DirecTV's legal department called and asked that I dismiss the case in exchange for my $200 early termination fee being refunded, PLUS they refunded my court costs as well. I talked to several people at DirecTV, including some of their so-called managers, and got absolutely NOWHERE with them. It wasn't until they were faced with going to small claims court did I finally get anywhere with them, so I suggest you all do the same.