Having problems with DirecTV?

+1 800 531 5000 (Customer Service)
2230 E Imperial Hwy
Fri8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sat8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sun8:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Complaints & Reviews

Direct TVlied to about local channels

On october 22, 2008, when I called directv to get information in my process of making a decision on switching from cable to directv, I specifically asked about getting local dallas channels. I was told that I could get them, I just had to sign a waiver and wait 4 weeks. The sales woman said the local cable company had a monopoly on the local channels, which the fcc was requiring them to discontinue as of february 2009. The sales woman gave me a great deal, so I went ahead and signed up for service. One of my co-workers lives near me, same county, same zip code, has directv and they get the local dallas channels, and they never went through any waiver process to get them.

A few days after installation, I was talking to a guy who used to install satellite tv service in my area, and he told me that everyone he new, recently, had been denied local channels. At no time was I informed by the directv sales woman that only 1 out of 5 waiver requests are approved.

For the past week, I have been having almost daily e-mail correspondence with customer service reps from directv. The first response to my question on the waiver was that only 1 in 5 requests are granted, and that it is not directv that has any control over this situation. Here is the latest e-mail response on this subject: "i understand your frustration with not being able to get local channels in your area. As you know, we don't carry locals in your area right now and we don't currently have plans to add it to our lineup. " he stated that the waiver request submitted on my behalf has been sent to new york and la. He also stated that he knows nothing about the fcc requiring the local cable company to discontinue their monopoly on the local channels.

If they don't carry local channels in my area, then why was I told that I could get the local dallas channels, and why does my nearby co-worker get them?

Now i'm locked into a 2 year contract with no abc, nbc, cbs, fox, cw, etc. I expect that I will now have to purchase a new outdoor antenna to receive these channels, and then I will have to use an ancient vcr to record my series programs when I am unable to watch them live. My service includes 2 dvrs, but they won't record channels off the antenna.

I would be very interested to know if anyone else has been deceived regarding local channels in the outlying areas of dallas, texas.

• Ti
      tina Dec 10, 2008

Hi, i completely agree with your compalain against dtv. Im working with dishnetwork, y dnt u try dish network m sure u can get a very good deal with dishnetwork with your locals as well as a DVR for 2 tvs.
      If you want any type of information on this you can call me on [protected] n ask for my name Tina Jones n my extention is 4443 or you can orward me your phone number n i can check weather u qualify for locals n the promotion.

• St
      Steve Cooper Nov 13, 2009

This is a fake story !!!

• St
      Steve Cooper Nov 13, 2009

The comments are not true

• Di
      DirecTV Local Channel Scam Nov 01, 2010

As of November 2010, this is still going on. I was told that local channels were available for Terre Haute, IN - Made the switch - and now have abc, cbs & nbc out of New York. Customer service is much less than satisfactory as "local" channels were requested specifically by myself, for my area. Now stuck in a 2 yr. contract with no remedy offered from them. They'll sell anything, don't sign off on the install without confirmation.

Direct TVpenalty for cancelling

When we moved from another city to Simi Valley, we did as DirecTV told us and that was to take the equipment and leave the dish. We did and we also upgraded to HD. After of year of total ignorance from their customer service department we decided to have the new AT&T system installed. We did and cancelled our DirecTV, which we had for almost 5 years. On their last bill they added a $250.00 cancellation charge claiming we were in to another 2 year contract.

We never signed any paperwork locking us in to another 2 years and was told that on our first monthly bill they disclosed that we were locked in to 2 more years. BS. We won't pay it. By the way, the AT&T system is fantastic!!

• Qn
        qns1980 Mar 02, 2009

I had direct tv installed at my apartment on 12/29/07, after previously using them a few years ago. I have not had any major issues over the past 1yr just a few billing issues from time to time. I moved out of my apartment on 02/28/09 and my new apartment does not have a space for a satellite dish., i called to cancel my direct tv service and i am being told that I have to pay a 60.00 early termination fee because my contract is up in june of this year. I never agreed on any contract and it was never disclosed to me that I was in a contract or going to be in one . The rep states they have been doing this since 2002, but i have never been informed of this when i was a customer from [protected] and 2007 to 2009, they have me in a 18month contract that I never agreed to!!! The rep claims I can only get out of paying this termination fee if my apartment points north!!! I went to the website after I talked to them and listed under the fine print in agreements it discloses the contract, but not on the ordering screen or when you speak to a rep this is false advertising!!!

Direct TVdirectv billing fraud

I had been with direct tv for several years (About 7 or 8 yrs) and as they stated I always bought my equipment from then. About a year ago I "bought" an hd dvr for about 300.00. When I noticed I was getting charged a lease fee of 4.99 mo. I thought "oh this is another mistake", as in the past when they were charging me when they shouldn't because I had purchased not leased my equipment. When I called in to rectify the situation I was told no I did not buy this piece of equipment for $300.00 I leased!!! I said who in their right mind would pay to lease something for 300.00 + 4.99 a month. I told the rep to look and see that I always purchase. I was told at that time that they no longer sell equipment they only lease. I asked her to show me where I signed saying I leased this equipment. She told me it was on the paperwork I signed when it was installed (By a company, who by the way took my old receiver that I owned and they tired to charge me for this receiver also). I told her it said nothing on the paperwork about leasing. Fast forward several months and I decided to cancel my service since the hd dvr never worked most of the time. When I went to cancel they charged me over 100.00 for the rest of the lease they say I signed up for at 4.99 or 5.99 a mo. (It changes at random) they also told me I had to return the hd dvr. When I reminded them that I bought it and to show me where I signed the rep. They told me there was a sticker on the box!!! Since when does a sticker on the box constitute a binding contract???!!!
      I told them I would not return until they proved to me that I signed something stating I leased a piece of equipment for 300.00 (Equipment I see on ad for free all the time).
      Being that they are direct tv and can do anything they want and ruin my credit they now demanded that I now pay over $500.00 for this hd dvr!!! Or they would report me to credit agencies. I decided to go ahead and return while I figure out how to fight them. Now that I have returned the equipment I have now gotten another bill for tax!!! For the amount of $38.78!!! This is absolute thievery and fraud!!

If you could be of assistance or point me in the correct direction I would greatly appreciated it. It is time we stop this corporate fraud the thievery in this country!!

Rebecca jones

• Be
          bexxmusic Nov 04, 2008

I had been with Direct TV for several years (about 7 or 8 yrs) and as they stated I always bought my equipment from then. About a year ago I "bought" an HD DVR for about 300.00. When I noticed I was getting charged a lease fee of 4.99 mo. I thought "oh this is another mistake", as in the past when they were charging me when they shouldn't because I had purchased not Leased my equipment. When I called in to rectify the situation I was told no I did not buy this piece of equipment for $300.00 I leased!!! I said who in their right mind would pay to lease something for 300.00 + 4.99 a month. I told the rep to look and see that I always purchase. I was told at that time that they no longer sell equipment they only lease. I asked her to show me where I signed saying I leased this equipment. She told me it was on the paperwork I signed when it was installed (by a company, who by the way took my old receiver that I OWNED and they tired to charge me for this receiver also). I told her it said nothing on the paperwork about leasing. Fast forward several months and I decided to cancel my service since the HD DVR never worked most of the time. When I went to cancel they charged me over 100.00 for the rest of the lease they say I signed up for at 4.99 or 5.99 a mo. (it changes at random) they also told me I had to return the HD DVR. When I reminded them that I bought it and to show me where I signed the rep. they told me there was a sticker on the box!!! Since when does a sticker on the box constitute a binding contract????!!!
          I told them I would not return until they proved to me that I signed something stating I leased a piece of equipment for 300.00 (equipment I see on ad for free all the time).
          Being that they are Direct TV and can do anything they want and ruin my credit they now demanded that I now pay over $500.00 for this HD DVR!!! or they would report me to credit agencies. I decided to go ahead and return while I figure out how to fight them. Now that I have returned the equipment I have now gotten another bill for TAX!!! For the amount of $38.78!!! This is absolute thievery and fraud!!

Rebecca Jones

• My
          MYGSDS Feb 11, 2009

My advice is to get a lawyer. They sent us one bill for services we never received (we did not even establish service with them - because they couldn't! No signal) and after one month reported us to a credit collection agency. Now I have them paying...I sent letters to everyone I could - better business bureaus, my state attorney's general, and well, if it's not resolved, I have a lawyer on standby. If they thought they could buly us with a note from a collection agency, well, they just encountered someone who won't back down and be intimitated by coorporate fraud. We're aiming for a class action lawsuit. Get this poor excuse of a company out of business, and get honest folk some refunds...

• Se
          SeekingKnowledge Mar 01, 2009

I think DirectTV is like most Customer Service Representative call centers represent. If you have your paperwork, or even if you don't...I am sure your financial instution can help you retrieve a copy of where you paid DirectTV for the equipment. But, aside from that, find the address to their corporate office, and send your complaint by Certified Mail to the President/ CEO of the Company. Regardless of your prior efforts, when you send Certified Mail when the Vendor is stating their is some type of Service Agreement, you will have documentation to back it up. In your letter, try to remember dates, times, and names of the people you spoke with...include those in your letter. You know what they say...S*[email protected] rolls downhill, and this has always gotten a response for me. Be very specific in your letter about what you want: (1) a copy of any document that you have signed stating you agreed to a lease (2) any document that you agreed to pay a penalty for termination, etc.

Hope this helps!

Direct TVfraud and deceptive advertising

Direct tv ran a ad in the local paper for 39.99 a month for 200 channels and local broadcasts. The salesman on the phone told me local channels are not availble today but would be soon.In the start he said I could file a waiver and get eastcoast or westcoast bradcasts fron abc, nbc, fox and cbs. He stated after you install you ask the installer to contact them and they will reprogram to get these. The installer told me he couldn't do that and I needed to call to file a waiver. After hours on the phone I receive a email back stating only 1 in 5 are approved and most likely mind will not be approved. I called them back within a couple hours of installing these and requested to speak to a supervisor to find out the sales staff is located in the phillipines. I requested to have these returned and a complete refund which tell said I would receive since it had been only a couple hours. I contact the fcc and the ohio attorney general and filed complaints. Prices do not match, promises made and not made. Buyers beware these are real crimials. Where are our senators and reps overseeing these thiefs.

• Id
            I don't believe it Oct 21, 2009

Have you ever gotten a resolution by writing the Atty General? After I fought with Direct tv since May, to get the proper price, and not getting it after I had it installed and was different than what I was told on the phone, the battle began. No paper work or bills, never got a bill until BBB sent me copies of what they said they would send. Be prepared that you will get no resolution from BBB, or the banks that steal your money. They always side with the corporation, who elses pays them? Direct TV took an unauthorized $1156 from my checking account. They tried many times to intercept the box to return the equipment by giving Fed Ex the wrong address. Finally FedEx called the driver and gave the driver the right address, even though they were still giving Fed Ex the wrong address and I finally got the box to return the receiver. There is a note in the box that states you have 7 days to return the box or be charged. So it gives them a great incentive to interrupt the delivery of the box with wrong addresses. The bank took out the $605 in my savings account which was the only money I had in the savings acount to cover the overdraft that direct tv created. The bank is brutal. Their "investigation" of the "dispute" was telling me I had violated the contract, early termination fee, all kinds of things. None of them true, and the bank accuses you of doing all the things that Direct TV tells them, and then steals your money on top of everything that Direct TV does. They actually tell you to your face and on the phone, you did not pay your bill, you cancelled your contract. Strange that they do not have prove anything. I won't go into the rest of the story because is has been very traumatizing to be treated like a criminal and then have your money stolen on top of this from the bank for illegal overdraft that direct tv created.

They are like Nazis, you have no rights. I sent a complaint to FCC and all I got back was an automated email stating they do not deal with individual complaints, but keep your complaint on file for "trends."

I was given some advice to contact the Attorney General of California from someone on the complaint board who gave me some direction on contacting the Attorney General who was successful in her complaint. I am so stressed now from all the abuse I have experienced with direct tv, but also the bank taking the last of my savings, and accusing me of not doing the right thing.

It is unbelievable what the corporations can do with the help of the Government. It is the most unimaginable thing I have ever experienced. Yes, I know about the crooks that brought this country down, but I never saw the relentless ruthlessness of their greed and destroying people's hard work and lives. It was so chilling when I went to the bank today to find that they had also robbed me. Their composure is so complete while you are sitting at their desk and smiling at customers around you., telling you the way "things are."

As I said, I will try one more thing with the attorney general. If you are not affluent, they have the means and power to break you down day by day. They are astounding, it is like being grilled by law enforcement or the SS. When I asked questions such as why wasn't I notified of their taking of my savings, and other questions which were never the same or true, they had a security guard come stand by the desk to protect the young lady from me, and the manager cames over and asked me to please be respectful to our staff "who is trying to help you." Believe me, never in my life have I experienced anything like this. The training that they have to break you down is very powerful. They are able to tell you that you broke your contract, (never had one, would never answer me when I asked). Early termination fees, turning off your TV and charging you $600. while you have another company.

I will stop now. This has taken all my energy. One more shot at the Attorney General. If you fall into the clutchs of the powerful, and have no resources, and like myself at 76-years-old on a meager Social Security benefit, it is unbelievable torture. They are definitely trained to break the spirit.

If you succeed in getting any positive response from the Attorney General's office please post it here, email me at
            [protected]@ymail.com.

There are a lot of things going on in this country, especially the issue of healthcare. And unfortunately, this turns people away from the other criminals like the direct tv and the banks.

Can't we all get together and send our complaints to FCC and the Attorney Genera and get them to listen to us?

Direct TV — class action

Join with me in a starting a class action suit!! I dont know a thing about how to do it.

Direct TVlies and deceit while subscribing

I called up the "Order Now" phone number [protected]) from www.directv.com to order a new subscription. After talking for 30 mins. the lady booked me for "Plus HD DVR" Package and we agreed on an install date. I took a day off from work expecting the technician. I was extremely disappointed when the technician showed up with a regular non-HD DVR equipment saying that that was what I had requested. When I called up the phone number he gave me [protected]), Directv told me that I had booked a non-HD package and if I want to change it I will have to accept a different deal than that was offered to me initially (I was offered the internet deal originallywhich the guy from the [protected] was not ready to offer me). This was an extremely rude and impolite guy who claimed to be a customer service manager who blatently disregarded my words and called me a liar. He said the number i called [protected]) would be some internet retailer that offered me that deal (In fact, it was not true..i was just talking about the "Plus HD DVR" package deal that was still available on www.directv.com).

This was my worst experiance ever with a retailer. I have had Comcast, DISH, AT&T but never faced such humiliation. I am never going to go with Directv and I will persuade as many of my friends as I can to switch to Dish Network, Comcase or AT&T UVERSE which are extremely better compared to these people who dont know how to value people.

• Ll

Click: For Consumers
              Click: Complaints

Then File a complaint with your Attorney General

It's Free!
              If more of us do this, something will be done.
              I have filed complaints in the past and have had great results.

Good Luck,
              Linda

Direct TVcompany won't fix their service without service charge

I initiated service less than 6 months ago and have been very happy until the last week. My HDTV service has stopped working entirely (I don't know if it was related to the software download Directv uploaded, but it happened at around that time). Now Directv customer service people inform me that I have 2 choices: 1. pay $50 for someone to come out to fix your service, or 2. buy a warranty on THEIR equipment. Before I take either of those options, I will choice option 3. disconnect Directv service and go back to Comcast where I was never charged for service calls and where I was always credited back for time that service wasn't working perfectly (which I never had to ask them to do).

I did read accounts just like this online before getting their service and I didn't believe they could be true. Until this one bad experience, I had been very happy with their installation tech who was thoroughly professional and careful, happy with their excellent HD DVR (much better than Comcast's), and happy with the service. It just goes to show how far bad customer service and charges will get a company.

I will resort to reading and/or talking to my wife before paying their ridiculous fees.

• Ci
                Cindy in Florida May 03, 2009

We got Directv HD in Jan. Less than 5 months later the receiver box freezes so we have to reset each time we turn on the TV, which takes about 5 minutes.
                Continued calls to Directv led us no where. They told us to change cables, input etc. - basically anything except a problem with their equipment. We knew it was the box since we couldn't even manually turn it off once it froze.
                Now they want payment for a defective box. We will also go to cable before we pay charges. Their scam is ridiculous. Their equipment has only a 90 day warranty and then you must purchase their protection plan.

• Ki
                kim in cal Dec 11, 2009

Had same service and when I tried to cancel after they wouldn't look at the box without the $50 service charge, they told me there was a $400 cancellation fee since I was still in contract.

Direct TV — billing for nfl package

To whom it may concern, I am very upset with directv. We have had directv for years and have not ever had...

Direct TVcollections

I have received a credit collection letter from oms on behalf of directv. This is for service at 10 codman park #3 in roxbury ma 02119. I have never had service at this location. When I had directv service I lived on 5 wayne street, dorchester ma 02121. When I was moving from the wayne st location I contacted directv and had the service interrupted/disconnected until I moved and then I would call to reinstall. I have never reinstated that service. I contacted oms and told them that I was disputing these charges and to please not contact me again. Oms has rude employees who constantly keep calling my home. After I explained that I was disputing these charges, I started receiving collection bills in the name of alicia fraiser for service at 10 codman park #4 roxbury for the same amount $665.77 can you please help me. My credit is a mess because of this.
              Thank you lisa frazier [protected] (W) [protected] (H)

• Bi
                  Bill C Jun 03, 2009

Take them to arbitration or file a lawsuit. You can get the arbitration info in directv's agreement online (directv.com/agreement). I might be going there myself with Directv as the sob's are trying to stiff me for early termination even though I completed my term of two years when I moved.

Direc TV And Skylinkhorrible service, unorganized

Just spent 3 and a half hours on the phone with directv and skylink. No one showed for our scheduled appt to get new receivers and a dish. I was transferred to india and back, repeating my story several times. Got hung up on 4 times. (Put on hold twice, no-one ever came back. ). I will cancel my service. I have a friend who can help me get satellite under the table we will say. I will never pay for satellite or cable again. :)

maryann38 Feb 11, 2009

SAME HERE !!! SKYLINK IS VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNRELIABLE...YOU CAN'T GET A HOLD OF THEM, ALL YOU GET IS RECORDING TELLING YOU TO HOLD. I'VE LEFT TWO MESSAGES TELLING THEM TO CALL ME BACK. OF COURSE THEY STILL HAVEN'T CALLED ME...I've had three appointments now, and still no DIRECTTV... 1st APPOINTMENT... They were 2 1/2 hours late. My appointment was 12:00 to 4:00, they didn't show up until 7:39 pm. I had somthing else I had to do, didn't have time to wait for the install since it was so late. So I rescheduled. 2nd APPOINTMENT... They never called or showed up. I Kept calling DirectTV asking where the installers were at? They said they would have Skyink Call. Never did and instalLers were NO SHOW. SO I HAD TO RESCHEDUE AGAIN FOR A 3RD TIME. 3rd APPOINTMENT...Installers Showed up, it's been raining and muddy outside. The installer said he couldn't take his shoes off and didn't have anything to put on his feet. I have a Brand New House and Brand New Carpet thru-out the house. So since he couldn't take his shoes off which were very muddy, and I coudn't let him walk all thru the house with MUDDY Shoes. They left. THAT'S NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL AT ALL. THEY SHOULD OF HAD SOMTHING TO PUT ON THEIR MUDDY FEET. YOU KNOW...BEEN PREPERED FOR THE SITUATION.? So Now I have a Appointment for Monday between 12:00 and 4:00 Will they show???? DOUBT IT...The only thing DirectTv has done for me is give me a $100 dollar discount and $5.00 off for 6 months. I'VE BEEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER OF DIRECTTV FOR OVER 7 YEARS. Since I moved, it's been a Nightmare trying to get the Satellite and service back going. WISH ME LUCK GETTING DIRECTV.

Direc TV -no service,. regulaunauthorized charges, regulation needed!

Sudden loss of service. Tryed to get in touch with direct tv. No direct service lines. Just ads to buy more or special packages. Finally got in touch wsith someone. A charge for a technician to come to the house. Several weeks now wiothout service; the technician finally comes, says everything is fine and we did have intermittent service to our hd tv. We told direct tv that they must send us a correct bill for only the time we actually had service. We then got a bill for technician fees plus insurance plus—late fees. No, we want a corrected bill no late fees, because we are disputing your bill. After several emails they took off a few days of the bill but kept applying the late fees. By now, we are irritated and said send us a corrected itemized bill and we will pay it, without the late fees. They said they would disconnect us. Once they disconnected us - the contract was broken, and we went to another service. Also, the attorney generals' office has received all email records along with a complaint form and any further correcspondence including an "unauthorized" charge that our charge account credited back to us as a result of informing them immedidately.
                  We intend to follow this through until this industry has regulations that require them to meet fair business practices and have readily available service numbers and qualified technicians to repair there service.

• Su
                      Sunshine Nov 10, 2008

I love the service with Direct TV - but when it rains, I lose this wonderful service. I have no way of receiving information pertaining to weather alerts or other problems at that time. Direct TV had no resolution for this situation except that I should turn on my radio for weather alerts.

I live next door to the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW); a location where weather is a serious issue.

I called the company and after proceeding through a slew of computerized questions and cut offs, i finally reached Brisa, who sent me to technical support Andy who referred me to a phone number that was connected to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I called back, and after the LONG rediculous computerized idiosy, I talked with a Shara in the billing dept. who referred me to tech support.

Tech support had no answer for me except to pay for them to come out and check my dish. Ha!
                      NOT going there!

I called back. I got Jessica in billing (another billing bimbo) who shared that when it rains, I am susceptible to lose my service. My whole reason for complaining on this has to do with the fact that there is threatening weather and I lose communications as to my safety. She told me to turn on the radio! Oh My Stars!!

I expressed my appreciation for her, but told her, the company was not helping me, the customer in this situation.

Ok, so I called back again. I spoke with Carlos in the billing dept and then he sent me to the Tech support dept to Stacy. She checked my signal strength and capabilities and all seemed to be in fine working order. No problems. So again, I was told that with Direct TV i was likely to lose service during a rain storm or when the satellite has been blocked by weather or other means.

This is not beneficial for life situations and Direct TV MUST find solutions to this issue!!!

Therefore, Direct TV cannot and will not be able

Direct TVbait & switch

When I ordered service from DirectTV, the sales representative promised to provide two HD-DVRs, without charge for either. When the installer came a week and half later, I was not home but my wife was. They only install one HD-DVR and one “standard” receiver.

When I called customer service, they said they could not do anything and transferred me to a person, who would only give me the name of Mistah, in the Retention Department. She refused to live up to the initial terms of the deal and, instead, offered to send me a HD-DVR for $130 -- $99 for the unit and about $30 to ship it to me because I did not have that in the initial installation. They claim that the initial order (of which I never received confirmation) was for one HD-DVR and a standard receiver. I asked Mistah to listen to the tape of the call and she claimed that no one had authority to listen to a recording of my initial call with the sales representative.

I sent an email to DirecTV after the call complaining and instead of living up to the offer of their initial sales representative, the representative, a "Brandon C ID 401102" wrote:

"I was able to confirm that you have already spoken with our retention group and we have made an offer that DIRECTV feels to be fair, and will be unable to expand upon this offer.

"Please know that when you call DIRECTV our automated system notifies each customer that 'calls may be recorded for quality assurance purposes.' This does not indicate that all calls are recorded, and the calls that are can only be used to ensure that the call was handled in accordance with DIRECTV guidelines and expectations. These calls cannot be accessed or monitored for any other reason."

Apparently, engaging in bait and switch, lying to prospective customers, and engaging in fraudulent conduct must be viewed as a call that "was handled in accordance with DIRECTV guidelines and expectations." Otherwise, I fail to understand why they made no effort to access the recording of the call (or at least determine whether it was recorded).

It is hard to believe that these people are rated high in customer service. If you decide that you are going to sign up for DirecTV, be forewarned and make sure that you get written confirmation of everything you ordered -- that might help. Of course, companies engaged in fraudulent practices will always do something deceitful, so you might be better off selecting another service – cable or the Dish Network.

• Cl
                        Clint Jan 28, 2009

We need to start a class action suit help me gather people at [protected]@gmail.com
                        my name is Clint

• Cl
                        Clint Jan 28, 2009

It is time to start a Class Action suit against the Bait and Switch tactics of Direct TV the web is loaded with consumers who are being ripped off by this company contact [protected]@gmail.com to help organize.
                        Clint

• Ya
                        Yankees2 Feb 20, 2011

This company is a poor excuse in the country. I signed up for Direct TV in Sept 2010 and within 4 days a sales woman called and convinced my wife about a special deal. She did not tell her that you can't go back to the same package when deal is done. My bill just went up $35.00. I asked how much to get out of Direct TV and they tell me $380.00. Holy cow!

Direct TVridiculous charges

Directv has a really bad habit of charging customers for stuff you don't want or even asked for. I was charged for a stupid tri-pod (70 bucks) that i didn't need, they can mount the dish to anything but they said i needed it. If i want the dish mounted on the wall like i asked for i have to pay 50 bucks for them to come out again. They rip you off for everything, here's a letter to prove my point, they sent me this magazine and charged me 4.50 a month for over a year. See for yourself, my letter to directv and the response from them:

Good morning, my name is andre m. For some odd reason you guys signed me up for your directv magazine and even worse charged me $3.99 a month without my consent. I never ordered this product and never authorized the charge to my bill. Please remove me for this unauthorized order, like i said i never ordered this magazine. And i'd like to be credited for all the times i was charged. Sorry for the trouble but this was never authorized. Thank you for your assistance. Andre

The responce from directv:

Response (Anthony d.) 10/09/2008 08:34 am dear mr. M, thanks for writing. I understand your concern about removing and getting credit for the access directv magazine. Per your request i have removed access directv magazine from your account. This change should be reflected on an upcoming bill statement. You may receive a few more issues but your account will not be charged. Directv is unable to credit for the previous months you have been billed for the access directv magazine. However, after reading your email and reviewing your account, i see that you are eligible for some complimentary programming. I've added two months of free showtime unlimited to your account to compensate for the charges for the access directv magazine. We hope you enjoy your free programming. Sincerely, anthony d.Employee customer service catch up to 14 games every week this fall with nfl sunday ticket.

Direct TVwrong billing

After my contract ended with directv I moved and decided to join services with another company. Serveral months later I get a bill from directv for ppv movies that I didn't order. How can you end a contract with a company and start services with another. Only to find out that your no longer with the company that is trying to charge you for the months that you have been with the new company.
                        Yeah amazing. I've written to the main office and made several phone calls disputing these charges, but nobody has an awnser. All I get are these stupid letters in the mail, with threats of collections.

• Cm
                            cmason08 Jul 01, 2009

Hi,

I work at directv, and you're crazy! I'm sure you were told when you called in that if you order the ppvs on a reciever that isn't connected to a phone line, we have no way of getting that information until it is downloaded from the access card!

What ppvs are $4.99 - maybe $5.99 depending on HD? You watched them right? :)

• Si
                            SigonellaPC3 Jul 02, 2009

This is exactly what people on this board are talking about. You describe the problem and when the employee responds, he didn't address the problem!!! He said he didn't order the PPV's; yes if it isn't connected to a phone line that info is retroactively posted when the access card info downloads, however, GENIUS, that isn't his problem. Get a clue before you respond, DirecTV employee. You need to listen first, then respond. Problem one, DirecTV. Right there.

AT&T / Direc TV Bundle My Services — overcharged

I ordered the $99 per month 'Bundle my Services' offered by AT& T/Direct TV. The way the deal...

Direct TVthey have no ethics and morals

We constantly get the 771 searching for signal area. There is absolutely positively nothing that can be in the way and the weather is perfect. They want to charge 79.95 to send some boy out to look at it when it is their product that is the problem. Also they have overbilled us nearly every month for the past year. We have to constantly call and get it sorted out. Correct one month then wrong again. What idiots. And the customer service is rude and useless. And that 2 year contract ! That big cement block around your neck. Never ever again. Never. How companies like this can be allowed to rip people off is just beyond me. They have no ethics and morals.

Jason W Jan 23, 2009

I had an Direct TV account for over 12 years and, something really changed with this company. Over the past year and a half, I've had numerous programing problems. Any call to customer service(or in this case customer dis-service) results in over an hour on the phone and even more billing headaches later. For every one thing they fix the mess two more. They billing is mysterious, even with no movies ordered or changes to our programing my bill always has new mystery charges every month, and it would take hours of phone calls to get them corrected. Credits issued never seemed to affect billing. In December of 2008 I had finally had enough and cancelled my service. I had and ending balance 0f $83.95, but DTV owed me $50.00 in credits for over-billing me for a receiver that I did not have. Instead DTV charged my credit card $83.95 without my approval. I considered dusputing these charges with my bank, but decided to just be rid of the headache. However, on Jan 22, 2009 DTV once again charged my card without my approval, this time for $725.28 for "failing" to return receivers, even though they never sent the recovery kit. DTV claimed that Fed Ex had delievered the recovery kits to my home, a quick call the Fed Ex revealed no delieveries to my home in December or January. This company is king of fraud! they will steal you blind and never think twice about it. Buyer beware you have been warrned!!! BTW Dish Network is less expensive and does not require you to "purchase" rental equipment.

Direct TVrequired equipment upgrades

We received a call from a Direct TV representative that stated we MUST upgrade our existing equipment by Jan. 2009 or we would no longer receive the Direct TV channels. This was a Direct TV upgrade and the Direct TV rep stated their would be NO additional charges or fees. Guess what? The bill increased. I tried cancelling their service and was told by 5 different phone reps that there is a $480. cancellation fee. I explained that we did not request the upgrade nor did we want it but we were told it was required to continue service. The phone rep even stated that the direct tv equipment we had was 4 years old and outdated and an upgrade was required to continue getting the channels but the cancellation fee was still required. I was never given a new contract, we were never told that with this new equipment, that we didn't request or want, would require a new contract nor were we ever told that to discontinue their service their would be this fee. The reps said it is in the small print on the back of the contract you signed 4 years ago.The only offer Direct TV gave us was a discount, back to where we started before the upgrade! After numerous call and conversations to the phone reps I have emailed direct tv hopefully I will receive a phone conversation and a favorable response to my complaint. As a consumer what rights do we have not to be taken by these companies.

• La
                                Lanaya Dec 28, 2008

I filed a complaint with the FTC about a similar issue. I will file a complaint with BBB as well. I think if the complaints get overwhelming someone will do something. I am going to encourage everyone I know who has had a complaint to file. I don't know what else to do but I'm looking into it. Let me know if you here of other remedies. A class action suitmight be in order.

Cancelling Of Direc TV Chargeshould not have to pay 125.00

From: [protected]@aol.com
                              [protected]@aol.com To: [protected]@aol.com; [protected]@aol.com
                              Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 8:13 pm

To whom this concerns,
                              I received Verizon Phone and Internet in 2006 with the understanding in the future there would be Fios TV. In the mean time I received Direct TV as a bundle. During those two years I had some problems with Direct TV. Since I purchased this through Verizon, I called them and they said call Direct TV. On one occasion my bill went up $30.00. I didn’t know why or who I should call. So I called Verizon. They said please call Direct TV. So I did. They said they change there billing date, so I paid for ½ month extra. This as a customer is what I have been going through for the past two years. I feel that there is little to no communication between Verizon and Direct TV. Now, finally Verizon has come out with Fios TV which I have been o n the waiting list for 16 months. They called and I told them to install as soon as possible so if I have any more problems I can call only on company (Verizon). After I set up a date with Fios to install and had a date for installation on Saturday, October 11 I called Direct TV, cancelation department for procedures to cancel. The woman told me she would take $10. 00 a month off, I told her no that I wanted to cancel. She said boxes would be mailed with return address with postage. She said to call on the day you want us to cancel. I received Fios tv on Saturday, October 11 and on Sunday I call to cancel Direct TV. The man also offered the $10.00 a month off and when I said no that I had Fios already installed he told me that I would owe direct TV $125. for ending an early contract. I said what contract? The one I sign when I updated 1 of the receivers to HD was his answer. The guy who installed the HD never told me about the contract. But what is worst the lady that I called 2 weeks prior for procedures on the cancelling never told me=2 0about the $125.00 charge when canceling. If she had told me I would have stayed with Direct TV for the length of the contract. Why didn’t the first person I talk to tell me about the $125.00? Why didn’t the man who brought the HD tell me about a 2 year contract when I was signing for a box not a contract? Why when I called to order HD did they tell me about a contract? I feel as a reliable customer for 2 years that I was NOT informed and that the $125.00 be dropped. Thank you for listening.

[protected]@aol.com

• Ju
                                  Jute May 07, 2009

Agreed. Had technical issues with a box, received a new box via mail - upon activation it extended my commitment contract 24 more months. Went to Cancel 6 months later (after having the service for 3 yrs) and now owe $340 for early cancellation. At no point was the contract extension discussed.

Direct TVover charge

Last year attempted to move my residential service to my business. During installation notified me that he can not complete the installation and would need to set up a bussiness account, which we did.
                                Shortly there after started receiving two bills at the same location, after three months, hours of phone conversations and hundreds of dallors later had the service disconnected as Direct TV could not resolve the issue.

Two months after service was disconnected still receiving two bills at the same location with no service and all equipment returned finally resolved with Direct Tv all fees and charges waived.

Now eight months later with no communication from Direct TV I am receiving mail and threating phone calls at my business from not one but two seperate collection companies. Any help

• Su
                                    suntreebob Mar 03, 2010

I was sent a flyer from direct tv, saying(please come back to us)Lock in your price for one year.Pick your package.WE chose the CHOICE EXTRA package, $34.99 for 12 months.After 12 months the price would go to reg price of $57.99 for 6months more for a total of 18 months which the contract called for. We have had two price increases in the first 10 months already.When we call and ask them about there flyer that says LOCK IN YOUR PRICE FOR ONE YEAR we are told if we dont like it than cancel.We know if we cancel we will be billed 3 or 4 hundred dollars. I still have the flyer but don't know where to go from here???

• Lo
                                    LoveUSA Jul 25, 2010

Send the following letter to Direct TV...

Direct TV
                                    Address
                                    City, State, Zip
                                    Phone

DATE

Re: Account/Reference No: Your account number

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is being sent to you in response to your notice sent to me dated _________. Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed. This is a request for validation made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

To comply with the FDCPA, you MUST provide me with ALL of the following:

Identify the original creditor;
                                    What the money you say I owe is for;
                                    Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
                                    Provide me with copies of any documents that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
                                    Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;
                                    Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account;
                                    Show me that your company is licensed to collect in the state of Nevada;
                                    Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent;

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in this Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate the information and during such time, all collection activity must cease and desist.

At this time I will also inform you that if your offices have reported any invalidated information to any of the 3 major Credit Bureau’s (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion) this action constitutes fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following:

Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act;
                                    Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act;
                                    Defamation of Character;

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes listing any information to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately.

I would also like to request, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices or agents to my home, mobile phone or to my place of employment. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls or facsimiles and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, I will considered this as harassment and I will not hesitate to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by certified mail.

It would be advisable that you assure that your records are in order before I am forced to file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Consumer Protection Agencies and/or take legal action.

This is an attempt to correct your records; any information obtained shall be used for that purpose only.

Best Regards,

___________________________________
                                    Your Name
                                    Mailing Address
                                    City, State ZIP

Direct TV — rebate referals 50/50 visa cards

I responded to the Direct Tv hook-up through my daughter for a 50 dollar referal for each of us, then I...