Having problems with DirecTV?

+1 800 531 5000 (Customer Service)
2230 E Imperial Hwy
Sat8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sun8:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Complaints & Reviews

horrible service, unorganized

Just spent 3 and a half hours on the phone with directv and skylink. No one showed for our scheduled appt to get new receivers and a dish. I was transferred to india and back, repeating my story several times. Got hung up on 4 times. (Put on hold twice, no-one ever came back. ). I will cancel my service. I have a friend who can help me get satellite under the table we will say. I will never pay for satellite or cable again. :)

maryann38 Feb 11, 2009

SAME HERE !!! SKYLINK IS VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNRELIABLE...YOU CAN'T GET A HOLD OF THEM, ALL YOU GET IS RECORDING TELLING YOU TO HOLD. I'VE LEFT TWO MESSAGES TELLING THEM TO CALL ME BACK. OF COURSE THEY STILL HAVEN'T CALLED ME...I've had three appointments now, and still no DIRECTTV... 1st APPOINTMENT... They were 2 1/2 hours late. My appointment was 12:00 to 4:00, they didn't show up until 7:39 pm. I had somthing else I had to do, didn't have time to wait for the install since it was so late. So I rescheduled. 2nd APPOINTMENT... They never called or showed up. I Kept calling DirectTV asking where the installers were at? They said they would have Skyink Call. Never did and instalLers were NO SHOW. SO I HAD TO RESCHEDUE AGAIN FOR A 3RD TIME. 3rd APPOINTMENT...Installers Showed up, it's been raining and muddy outside. The installer said he couldn't take his shoes off and didn't have anything to put on his feet. I have a Brand New House and Brand New Carpet thru-out the house. So since he couldn't take his shoes off which were very muddy, and I coudn't let him walk all thru the house with MUDDY Shoes. They left. THAT'S NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL AT ALL. THEY SHOULD OF HAD SOMTHING TO PUT ON THEIR MUDDY FEET. YOU KNOW...BEEN PREPERED FOR THE SITUATION.? So Now I have a Appointment for Monday between 12:00 and 4:00 Will they show???? DOUBT IT...The only thing DirectTv has done for me is give me a $100 dollar discount and $5.00 off for 6 months. I'VE BEEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER OF DIRECTTV FOR OVER 7 YEARS. Since I moved, it's been a Nightmare trying to get the Satellite and service back going. WISH ME LUCK GETTING DIRECTV.

no service,. regulaunauthorized charges, regulation needed!

Sudden loss of service. Tryed to get in touch with direct tv. No direct service lines. Just ads to buy more or special packages. Finally got in touch wsith someone. A charge for a technician to come to the house. Several weeks now wiothout service; the technician finally comes, says everything is fine and we did have intermittent service to our hd tv. We told direct tv that they must send us a correct bill for only the time we actually had service. We then got a bill for technician fees plus insurance plus—late fees. No, we want a corrected bill no late fees, because we are disputing your bill. After several emails they took off a few days of the bill but kept applying the late fees. By now, we are irritated and said send us a corrected itemized bill and we will pay it, without the late fees. They said they would disconnect us. Once they disconnected us - the contract was broken, and we went to another service. Also, the attorney generals' office has received all email records along with a complaint form and any further correcspondence including an "unauthorized" charge that our charge account credited back to us as a result of informing them immedidately.
We intend to follow this through until this industry has regulations that require them to meet fair business practices and have readily available service numbers and qualified technicians to repair there service.

• Su
    Sunshine Nov 10, 2008

I love the service with Direct TV - but when it rains, I lose this wonderful service. I have no way of receiving information pertaining to weather alerts or other problems at that time. Direct TV had no resolution for this situation except that I should turn on my radio for weather alerts.

I live next door to the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW); a location where weather is a serious issue.

I called the company and after proceeding through a slew of computerized questions and cut offs, i finally reached Brisa, who sent me to technical support Andy who referred me to a phone number that was connected to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I called back, and after the LONG rediculous computerized idiosy, I talked with a Shara in the billing dept. who referred me to tech support.

Tech support had no answer for me except to pay for them to come out and check my dish. Ha!
    NOT going there!

I called back. I got Jessica in billing (another billing bimbo) who shared that when it rains, I am susceptible to lose my service. My whole reason for complaining on this has to do with the fact that there is threatening weather and I lose communications as to my safety. She told me to turn on the radio! Oh My Stars!!

I expressed my appreciation for her, but told her, the company was not helping me, the customer in this situation.

Ok, so I called back again. I spoke with Carlos in the billing dept and then he sent me to the Tech support dept to Stacy. She checked my signal strength and capabilities and all seemed to be in fine working order. No problems. So again, I was told that with Direct TV i was likely to lose service during a rain storm or when the satellite has been blocked by weather or other means.

This is not beneficial for life situations and Direct TV MUST find solutions to this issue!!!

Therefore, Direct TV cannot and will not be able

bait & switch

When I ordered service from DirectTV, the sales representative promised to provide two HD-DVRs, without charge for either. When the installer came a week and half later, I was not home but my wife was. They only install one HD-DVR and one “standard” receiver.

When I called customer service, they said they could not do anything and transferred me to a person, who would only give me the name of Mistah, in the Retention Department. She refused to live up to the initial terms of the deal and, instead, offered to send me a HD-DVR for $130 -- $99 for the unit and about $30 to ship it to me because I did not have that in the initial installation. They claim that the initial order (of which I never received confirmation) was for one HD-DVR and a standard receiver. I asked Mistah to listen to the tape of the call and she claimed that no one had authority to listen to a recording of my initial call with the sales representative.

I sent an email to DirecTV after the call complaining and instead of living up to the offer of their initial sales representative, the representative, a "Brandon C ID 401102" wrote:

"I was able to confirm that you have already spoken with our retention group and we have made an offer that DIRECTV feels to be fair, and will be unable to expand upon this offer.

"Please know that when you call DIRECTV our automated system notifies each customer that 'calls may be recorded for quality assurance purposes.' This does not indicate that all calls are recorded, and the calls that are can only be used to ensure that the call was handled in accordance with DIRECTV guidelines and expectations. These calls cannot be accessed or monitored for any other reason."

Apparently, engaging in bait and switch, lying to prospective customers, and engaging in fraudulent conduct must be viewed as a call that "was handled in accordance with DIRECTV guidelines and expectations." Otherwise, I fail to understand why they made no effort to access the recording of the call (or at least determine whether it was recorded).

It is hard to believe that these people are rated high in customer service. If you decide that you are going to sign up for DirecTV, be forewarned and make sure that you get written confirmation of everything you ordered -- that might help. Of course, companies engaged in fraudulent practices will always do something deceitful, so you might be better off selecting another service – cable or the Dish Network.

• Cl
    Clint Jan 28, 2009

We need to start a class action suit help me gather people at [email protected]
    my name is Clint

• Cl
    Clint Jan 28, 2009

It is time to start a Class Action suit against the Bait and Switch tactics of Direct TV the web is loaded with consumers who are being ripped off by this company contact [email protected] to help organize.
    Clint

• Ya
    Yankees2 Feb 20, 2011

This company is a poor excuse in the country. I signed up for Direct TV in Sept 2010 and within 4 days a sales woman called and convinced my wife about a special deal. She did not tell her that you can't go back to the same package when deal is done. My bill just went up $35.00. I asked how much to get out of Direct TV and they tell me $380.00. Holy cow!

ridiculous charges

Directv has a really bad habit of charging customers for stuff you don't want or even asked for. I was charged for a stupid tri-pod (70 bucks) that i didn't need, they can mount the dish to anything but they said i needed it. If i want the dish mounted on the wall like i asked for i have to pay 50 bucks for them to come out again. They rip you off for everything, here's a letter to prove my point, they sent me this magazine and charged me 4.50 a month for over a year. See for yourself, my letter to directv and the response from them:

Good morning, my name is andre m. For some odd reason you guys signed me up for your directv magazine and even worse charged me $3.99 a month without my consent. I never ordered this product and never authorized the charge to my bill. Please remove me for this unauthorized order, like i said i never ordered this magazine. And i'd like to be credited for all the times i was charged. Sorry for the trouble but this was never authorized. Thank you for your assistance. Andre

The responce from directv:

Response (Anthony d.) 10/09/2008 08:34 am dear mr. M, thanks for writing. I understand your concern about removing and getting credit for the access directv magazine. Per your request i have removed access directv magazine from your account. This change should be reflected on an upcoming bill statement. You may receive a few more issues but your account will not be charged. Directv is unable to credit for the previous months you have been billed for the access directv magazine. However, after reading your email and reviewing your account, i see that you are eligible for some complimentary programming. I've added two months of free showtime unlimited to your account to compensate for the charges for the access directv magazine. We hope you enjoy your free programming. Sincerely, anthony d.Employee customer service catch up to 14 games every week this fall with nfl sunday ticket.

wrong billing

After my contract ended with directv I moved and decided to join services with another company. Serveral months later I get a bill from directv for ppv movies that I didn't order. How can you end a contract with a company and start services with another. Only to find out that your no longer with the company that is trying to charge you for the months that you have been with the new company.
Yeah amazing. I've written to the main office and made several phone calls disputing these charges, but nobody has an awnser. All I get are these stupid letters in the mail, with threats of collections.

• Cm
    cmason08 Jul 01, 2009

Hi,

I work at directv, and you're crazy! I'm sure you were told when you called in that if you order the ppvs on a reciever that isn't connected to a phone line, we have no way of getting that information until it is downloaded from the access card!

What ppvs are $4.99 - maybe $5.99 depending on HD? You watched them right? :)

• Si
    SigonellaPC3 Jul 02, 2009

This is exactly what people on this board are talking about. You describe the problem and when the employee responds, he didn't address the problem!!! He said he didn't order the PPV's; yes if it isn't connected to a phone line that info is retroactively posted when the access card info downloads, however, GENIUS, that isn't his problem. Get a clue before you respond, DirecTV employee. You need to listen first, then respond. Problem one, DirecTV. Right there.

overcharged

I ordered the $99 per month 'Bundle my Services' offered by AT& T/Direct TV. The way the deal...

they have no ethics and morals

We constantly get the 771 searching for signal area. There is absolutely positively nothing that can be in the way and the weather is perfect. They want to charge 79.95 to send some boy out to look at it when it is their product that is the problem. Also they have overbilled us nearly every month for the past year. We have to constantly call and get it sorted out. Correct one month then wrong again. What idiots. And the customer service is rude and useless. And that 2 year contract ! That big cement block around your neck. Never ever again. Never. How companies like this can be allowed to rip people off is just beyond me. They have no ethics and morals.

Jason W Jan 23, 2009

I had an Direct TV account for over 12 years and, something really changed with this company. Over the past year and a half, I've had numerous programing problems. Any call to customer service(or in this case customer dis-service) results in over an hour on the phone and even more billing headaches later. For every one thing they fix the mess two more. They billing is mysterious, even with no movies ordered or changes to our programing my bill always has new mystery charges every month, and it would take hours of phone calls to get them corrected. Credits issued never seemed to affect billing. In December of 2008 I had finally had enough and cancelled my service. I had and ending balance 0f $83.95, but DTV owed me $50.00 in credits for over-billing me for a receiver that I did not have. Instead DTV charged my credit card $83.95 without my approval. I considered dusputing these charges with my bank, but decided to just be rid of the headache. However, on Jan 22, 2009 DTV once again charged my card without my approval, this time for $725.28 for "failing" to return receivers, even though they never sent the recovery kit. DTV claimed that Fed Ex had delievered the recovery kits to my home, a quick call the Fed Ex revealed no delieveries to my home in December or January. This company is king of fraud! they will steal you blind and never think twice about it. Buyer beware you have been warrned!!! BTW Dish Network is less expensive and does not require you to "purchase" rental equipment.

required equipment upgrades

We received a call from a Direct TV representative that stated we MUST upgrade our existing equipment by Jan. 2009 or we would no longer receive the Direct TV channels. This was a Direct TV upgrade and the Direct TV rep stated their would be NO additional charges or fees. Guess what? The bill increased. I tried cancelling their service and was told by 5 different phone reps that there is a $480. cancellation fee. I explained that we did not request the upgrade nor did we want it but we were told it was required to continue service. The phone rep even stated that the direct tv equipment we had was 4 years old and outdated and an upgrade was required to continue getting the channels but the cancellation fee was still required. I was never given a new contract, we were never told that with this new equipment, that we didn't request or want, would require a new contract nor were we ever told that to discontinue their service their would be this fee. The reps said it is in the small print on the back of the contract you signed 4 years ago.The only offer Direct TV gave us was a discount, back to where we started before the upgrade! After numerous call and conversations to the phone reps I have emailed direct tv hopefully I will receive a phone conversation and a favorable response to my complaint. As a consumer what rights do we have not to be taken by these companies.

• La
    Lanaya Dec 28, 2008

I filed a complaint with the FTC about a similar issue. I will file a complaint with BBB as well. I think if the complaints get overwhelming someone will do something. I am going to encourage everyone I know who has had a complaint to file. I don't know what else to do but I'm looking into it. Let me know if you here of other remedies. A class action suitmight be in order.

should not have to pay 125.00

From: [protected]@aol.com
[protected]@aol.com To: [protected]@aol.com; [protected]@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 8:13 pm

To whom this concerns,
I received Verizon Phone and Internet in 2006 with the understanding in the future there would be Fios TV. In the mean time I received Direct TV as a bundle. During those two years I had some problems with Direct TV. Since I purchased this through Verizon, I called them and they said call Direct TV. On one occasion my bill went up $30.00. I didn’t know why or who I should call. So I called Verizon. They said please call Direct TV. So I did. They said they change there billing date, so I paid for ½ month extra. This as a customer is what I have been going through for the past two years. I feel that there is little to no communication between Verizon and Direct TV. Now, finally Verizon has come out with Fios TV which I have been o n the waiting list for 16 months. They called and I told them to install as soon as possible so if I have any more problems I can call only on company (Verizon). After I set up a date with Fios to install and had a date for installation on Saturday, October 11 I called Direct TV, cancelation department for procedures to cancel. The woman told me she would take $10. 00 a month off, I told her no that I wanted to cancel. She said boxes would be mailed with return address with postage. She said to call on the day you want us to cancel. I received Fios tv on Saturday, October 11 and on Sunday I call to cancel Direct TV. The man also offered the $10.00 a month off and when I said no that I had Fios already installed he told me that I would owe direct TV $125. for ending an early contract. I said what contract? The one I sign when I updated 1 of the receivers to HD was his answer. The guy who installed the HD never told me about the contract. But what is worst the lady that I called 2 weeks prior for procedures on the cancelling never told me=2 0about the $125.00 charge when canceling. If she had told me I would have stayed with Direct TV for the length of the contract. Why didn’t the first person I talk to tell me about the $125.00? Why didn’t the man who brought the HD tell me about a 2 year contract when I was signing for a box not a contract? Why when I called to order HD did they tell me about a contract? I feel as a reliable customer for 2 years that I was NOT informed and that the $125.00 be dropped. Thank you for listening.

[protected]@aol.com

• Ju
    Jute May 07, 2009

Agreed. Had technical issues with a box, received a new box via mail - upon activation it extended my commitment contract 24 more months. Went to Cancel 6 months later (after having the service for 3 yrs) and now owe $340 for early cancellation. At no point was the contract extension discussed.

over charge

Last year attempted to move my residential service to my business. During installation notified me that he can not complete the installation and would need to set up a bussiness account, which we did.
Shortly there after started receiving two bills at the same location, after three months, hours of phone conversations and hundreds of dallors later had the service disconnected as Direct TV could not resolve the issue.

Two months after service was disconnected still receiving two bills at the same location with no service and all equipment returned finally resolved with Direct Tv all fees and charges waived.

Now eight months later with no communication from Direct TV I am receiving mail and threating phone calls at my business from not one but two seperate collection companies. Any help

• Su
    suntreebob Mar 03, 2010

I was sent a flyer from direct tv, saying(please come back to us)Lock in your price for one year.Pick your package.WE chose the CHOICE EXTRA package, $34.99 for 12 months.After 12 months the price would go to reg price of $57.99 for 6months more for a total of 18 months which the contract called for. We have had two price increases in the first 10 months already.When we call and ask them about there flyer that says LOCK IN YOUR PRICE FOR ONE YEAR we are told if we dont like it than cancel.We know if we cancel we will be billed 3 or 4 hundred dollars. I still have the flyer but don't know where to go from here???

• Lo
    LoveUSA Jul 25, 2010

Send the following letter to Direct TV...

Direct TV
    Address
    City, State, Zip
    Phone

DATE

Re: Account/Reference No: Your account number

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is being sent to you in response to your notice sent to me dated _________. Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed. This is a request for validation made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

To comply with the FDCPA, you MUST provide me with ALL of the following:

Identify the original creditor;
    What the money you say I owe is for;
    Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
    Provide me with copies of any documents that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
    Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;
    Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account;
    Show me that your company is licensed to collect in the state of Nevada;
    Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent;

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in this Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate the information and during such time, all collection activity must cease and desist.

At this time I will also inform you that if your offices have reported any invalidated information to any of the 3 major Credit Bureau’s (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion) this action constitutes fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following:

Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act;
    Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act;
    Defamation of Character;

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes listing any information to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately.

I would also like to request, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices or agents to my home, mobile phone or to my place of employment. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls or facsimiles and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, I will considered this as harassment and I will not hesitate to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by certified mail.

It would be advisable that you assure that your records are in order before I am forced to file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Consumer Protection Agencies and/or take legal action.

This is an attempt to correct your records; any information obtained shall be used for that purpose only.

Best Regards,

___________________________________
    Your Name
    Mailing Address
    City, State ZIP

rebate referals 50/50 visa cards

I responded to the Direct Tv hook-up through my daughter for a 50 dollar referal for each of us, then I...

charged for movies that I did not view

I received a collections letter for 4 movies I either "rented" with a free view coupon or tried to rent and nothing appeared on the tv. I called customer service and the movies did not appear on our bill, but when we canceled the service we were. The collection agency said the movies appeared in our equipment that was returned. They stated we rented the movies and did not pay for them. DirecTv should check its own records as they took down my customer info. I was not charged at the time that the incidents occured, but a 6 months or a year later.

Marie Johnson Jul 14, 2009

I got my bill today and there was 16 Adult Movies on it I KNOW that my husband and I DIDNOT WATCH those dirty things WE ARE CHRISTIANS WE WERE SO SHOCKED TO SEE THAT MESS ON OUR BILL PLEASE TAKE IT OFF OUR BILL My email is [email protected] My account no. is 69153518 My name is Marie Johnson Thank You

Marie Johnson Jul 14, 2009

Please take the 16 adult movies off our bill because we did not order them Thank You Marie Johnson

unethical practices

I am not sure who will receive this but for direct tv services I am sure there is enough information provided for them to search my information. Where are the laws that protect consumers from companies do unauthorized credit checks. On the evening of 10/9/08 I presumed to contact direct tv on behalf of my husband regarding a promo offer in the mail and I actually received very good customer service, the sales person was very knowledgeable. But I repeatedly stated that I was only calling to inquire about the products not order the service. I was asked my name, I said that I didn't have a job and that my husband is responsible for the bills so therefore I would not be placing a order. I was asked yet again, then I was asked if they could do a soft credit check, which the rep preceded to say that it would not be a credit check on me but a check on the address to see if the address qualified. I gave her no other information and then the next thing I know I being transferred to the resolution dept. People listen if I have a bill, yes it has to be paid. But this was not handled very professionally. I was asked 3 times about running my credit and 3 times I said no. Direct tv rep did a credit check after saying no 3 times. I asked for a supervisor or manager 2 or 3 people got on the phone and refused to give me a supervisor, or a manager, their last name, their location, or even a help line. I was told by one rep she was going to drop the call. I am not a disgruntled old bill customer... I was highly upset the fact that I didnt give a social or anything or any approval and my credit was ran. I guarantee if I pull my credit report their is an inquiry by direct tv. It is amazing that direct tv would be quick to search someone information without permission but utterly refused to give any information about their own company. Which leaves to think why should I have given my maiden name when asked. You have already pulled my credit. Yes if there is a dispute it has to be handled. I feel baffled right now anybody could have called up and gave a common name as I have and you mean to tell me that gives you the right to run a credit check. I have just went through a process that just was settled in court for the same reason. Do the companies not know the laws? I am sure I will have enough money to pay any debt that I could possibly owe... If I had the service it would have been several years ago... And what is really going on. I just called in for info on an offer not to go through a hassle such as this. The reps have the sales pitch down pat but they may want to re train on the areas of obtaining consumer information. May the economy is so busted right now that no one cares about the fair credit laws and such. Sorry I ever called in...

• Ca
    Candeee Dec 10, 2009

Not only does DTV not honor their pricing but their installation service is the worst. I initially signed up for DTV because it was the only provider in the area in which I moved. The installer who initially showed up could not do the job because he “didn’t have the right equipment”. I waited the next day for the team to show up again, and was left waiting another two days only to find out they still could not install it. It took over a week and four days of my time waiting on them to show to get the job done. When I moved I attempted to keep them as the service contract was for two years, to avoid their disconnection fee. The second install was just as bad as the first one telling me once again they did not have the “right equipment” and would come back the next day. The next morning I was called and told that they had two “no calls-no shows” for work but would get the job done. Well, after waiting all day Saturday and no show or call I called Sunday only to be told that I mysteriously cancelled my contract. The fiasco continued for a few more days and when I asked to be compensated for my time I was pretty much dismissed.

It is inconceivable that this company is allowed to do business in such an unethical unlawful way and the BBB or Attorney General’s offices do not seem to care. How can they still in business without having to pay for their shortcomings? They expect customers to sit and wait until it is convenient for them to show up or until they get their story straight about what the “package really costs”!!! Hello?? How is it that consumers are being railroaded by this company???

They are the worst and should not be allowed to do business ever.

billing for service never received

I just got off the phone with the service department and could not get my issue resolved. I came in from a business trip on Sunday and found that service had been disrupted. I called customer service earlier today and together we discovered a charge on the 8/19/08 bill in the amount of $79.95 for a service call on 8/18/08.

I did order a service call but not one came. It was not an emergency situation so I figured that was the end of that and went about my business. In doing the research today I found out about the charge and called to have the service department reverse it.

I explained the situation and was told that they would "absolutely not" reverse it because according to your records the call was made and because I had not called "immediately" after the no-show. I should have called sooner.

I did not call "immediately" because I had no reason to call - no one showed! I did not call "immediately" because I had not noticed the charge on the bill until today. I did not call “immediately” because I would not have even thought to look at it was it not for the service interruption. I pay my bills electronically and would never have noticed the charge if not for the spike in the bill which led to the disruption. I would have paid the bill and been none the wiser and DirecTV would have gotten over on me.

You better believe that I will be taking a magnifying glass to my DirecTV e-bills from now on. I cannot believe that DirecTV would treat a long time customer this way. I did not know that you had an expiration date on courtesy.

verbal agreement?

I had occasion to talk to directtv, after getting repeated automated messages which I wanted to squelch.In talking with the representative, it came out that they "have in their records" that my contract was extended two years this summer after I replaced a faulty receiver. They claim that by getting the receiver replaced, there was a verbal agreement to the two years contract. I would have never made such an agreement as I am moving and planning to cancel them within the next few months. How do they get away with this? What does a consumer do about this?

unfair business practices

My husband and I moved to this new area about 8 months ago. We had Direct T.V. for many years prior to moving to our new home. We decided to get service with Direct T.V. again. We have had service with them for the past 8 months and have received numerous mailings promising local channels and that we could bundle our internet (currently with Comcast) with Verizon since they have some sort of relationship with them. My husband called and requested local channels with Direct T.V. and after many weeks we finally received a letter in the mail stating that they were not available. We had to watch the olympics on the internet and since the economy has been so tight I need to get local channels to see the local grocery store sales. We also contacted Direct T.V. and requested that we get the internet bundled promotion to save $$ and have a combined bill in which they told us that the specific program was not available in our area. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this is FALSE ADVERTISMENT!!! So, my husband and I received a great offer in the mail from Comcast to bundle our cable and internet and save $50 a month so we decided to change our service. I called Direct T.V. to cancell our service and the representative informed me that I had a two year contract with them and was cutting the contract short by 18 months. She then informs me that there is a $366 cancellation fee. I expressed that no one ever told me that there was a two year contract. She told me that their contract was written on their website. She also stated that the installer should have told me there was a two-year contract and that if I had refused that he would have never installed the service to begin with. I expressed to the lady that the installer never told me about the two-year contract and I asked her what normal individual just goes to a companies website to look up their contract. I'm a college educated woman and I can honestly say that I don't run to the internet and read a companies contract everytime I do business. I rely and trust the companies representatives to explain things to me. Then the Direct T.V. woman starts reading me this cue card and in her statement she says that any cancellation fees will be billed to my credit card. I immediately told the lady to put a note on my account that I am NOT AUTHORIZING Direct T.V. to charge my credit card. She states that she made a not on my account. Well a few weeks go by and I receive two Direct T.V. bills stating that I owe $0 dollars, one bill even shows a $12 credit. The next thing I know I am looking at my online banking and see a Direct T.V. debit for $366 which throws my account into overdraft. I immediately called Direct T.V. and explained the situation and the lady Marsha that I spoke with even verified to me on the phone that I had NOT AUTHORIZED Direct T.V. to charge my credit card and the fact that I stated that I was not going to pay the $366 cancellation fee. The sad thing is, Marsha stated that there was nothing that she could do about the situation and that she was the last call stop for the consumer. How you dispute something with them is once you get to her department, they take the notes you tell them and type them on your account, they then pass this on to their billing department who I was told would give me a call. Well, after two weeks I get this generic email from Direct T.V. stating that I had signed a contract with the dish installer and was cancelling the contract 18 months early and that I was responsible for the $366 and that if I had any questions, I could call Direct T.V. (I am thinking in my head, all they did was send me an email about the same conversation that I had already had with Marsha and they were telling me the same thing that the first lady I spoke with when I called to cancell their service told me. I'm also thinking to myself that if I call them again it's not like I'm going to get to talk with the billing department directly, I'm gonna have to put in some sort of another request). So, I decided to go to my bank and file fraudulent charges concerning the debit. I explained to my bank that I specifically told Direct T.V. that they were NOT AUTHORIZED to debit my debit card. The $366 had since been refunded to my account. I have not heard anything from Direct T.V. as of yet, but am sure that they will send it to a creditor service agency and will make me pay the fee or else my 700+ credit score will suffer. I DO NOT think what they are doing is fair business practices and now come to think of it, they ask you for a debit card over the phone to get the installer to come out to your home and they call this $100 fee an installation fee. I believe they ask you for the card so that they can put it on file and if you decide to cancel your service they just come at you with some bologne that you knew there was a contract and that their contract can be found on their website (which I must say is EXTREMELY legally written to benefit their company, I have been in the insurance business since college and believe that insurance companies treat their clients better than Direct T.V.) My best advice to people out there is that if you are caught by surprise like I was about a cancellation fee when you call, ask the Direct T.V. Representative to put a mandated note on your account that you are NOT AUTHORIZING them to debit your account, then if the debit shows up, go to your local bank and tell them that the transaction was not authorized and have them refund your money...this is what I did. I know that I will have to face consequences with Direct T.V. billing me now for the $366 and probably turning it over to collections without billing me to try and ruin my GREAT CREDIT that takes a lifetime to build and one crappy company like Direct T.V. to ruin it. But, I have slept better this last week because I feel like I showed Direct T.V. who's in charge of MY CHECKING ACCOUNT. I don't know what else to do about Direct T.V., but are currently looking for ways to complain to our government and regulators about their unfair, unregulated, and untrustworthy business practices. If there is a two-year agreement, I feel Direct T.V.'s installers should be trained on how to sit down with you in your home and explain to you in lamens terms that you are signing a two-year contract (I have to do that when I sell insurance contracts), instead of sending some sweaty, over-worked and under-paid installer to you home who may or may not speak good English to install your satellite and he's rushing out the door so fast because he's got 2 or 3 more work orders after you and it's already after lunchtime!

bogus contract

Hi All,
So I have been fighting Direct TV for months now. In a nutshell, I never knew about this bogus contract and early termination fee. I called and fought with them and finally I got throw to this guy named Brett. I asked him for proof that I actually signed a contract. He couldn't produce anything and now all the letters and calls from them have ended. Gee, I am hoping this is all over. Take a look at the letter they sent me. If it helps, call the number and demand physical proof that you actually have a contract.

Dear Ms.---
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding DIRECTV account # 35308xxx. We attempted to contact you at phone #xxx-xxx-xxxx in response to your e-mail but were unable to speak to you directly regarding your concerns.
Our records support Brett requested a copy of the signed agreement, per your request, and we are waiting for the paperwork to arrive from our Home Services department. As we are aware of this situation and the request for the agreement, we will ensure you are contacted after we receive a response from Home Services.
At DIRECTV we strive to provide the finest in satellite television entertainment and outstanding customer service. For further assistance, please contact us at [protected] between the hours of 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM MT.
Sincerely,
DIRECTV Customer Advocate Team

• Kr
    kristin Feb 17, 2009

I cancelled my direct tv today after having comcast install. I have written complaints and called and complained for two years about problems ordering pay-per-view. I have paid nearly 180.00 a month for over 4 years. When I called to cancell my service, the rep told me that the HD box I paid 120.00 for at Best Buy wasn't mine and I had to return it, I said no I paid forit. She said I had leased it, and that was stated on the bottom of my BEST BUY RECEIPT. Also there would be a 75.00 early termination fee on my contract, I said I had no contract, she replied it was automatically done when I purchased... oops LEASED my HD BOX and that also was printed on the receipt. When I ordered service for the additional HD TV and another active television, no rep mentioned the contract, no Best Buy salesman mentioned a contract and my receipt, which I have is unlegiable at the bottom due to low ink in the printer at BEST BUY. I have not verbally agreed to a contract, nor was I notified, or even asked if I wanted to renew a contract, which I would have said okay then. But to slide it in at a retail store on a receipt and try to charge a loyal customer a fee and did I mention take back the box I paid 120.00 for. Is criminal. I left Direct because of two years of bad customer service, I feel you had ample time to correct the problem. Now you are basically trying to steal money from me? My neighbors on both sides of me called Comcast today to cancel Direct tv service and they also thought they had purchased not leased your HD TV box. I am calling the news tomorrow and getting other consumers names that have fallen for this deceptive business scam. I never signed a thing and I paid cash for my box, no signature there either. Let's see what class action lawsuit Direct tv can tollerate, sadly if cable is a nightmare, I will go back to Dish Network whom I used for 11 years or go without before I will EVER use a company that tries to decieve and bully money out of consumers. I would have gone back to Direct TV possibly. YOUR LOSS> Kristin Eaker Jacksonville, [email protected] Let the war begin, you will NEVER get 75.00 out of me. And we are getting more names of others daily.

dispute bill

I was charged a 400.00 disconnect fee when I cancelled my tv service with Direct tv. No one ever informed me...

billling

When I signed up for satillite svc I was given 4 receivers. I was not told at any time that there would be a $5.00 monthly fee for each receiver. I spoke to several representatives and they al assured me the receivers were free. At now time was I told of the monthly fee. Is this bait & Switch?

• Wo
    WolfmasterPrime Apr 20, 2009

Every directv mailer (in very small print) shows the additional charge for the recievers on it. Your install tech had you sign a contract that has that information on it, and you acknowleged that you have a copy of that contract by paying your bill. I think you heard what you wanted to hear, and didn't pay a bit of attention to what you were told.

contracts @ hidden gotchas

You'll enjoy this one!!! A brilliant business plan!!!

I've been a DirectTV customer for several years...never really had a problem with their service. Although a little more expensive than their competitors, I get the basic package that I pay for.

Almost a year ago (Oct 2007), DirectTV notifies me that I have to swap out my equipment becuase of upgrades they've made to their system. The upgrades in equipment would be handled for free and not doing so...would affect my service. In other words, if I didn't have them come out and change out the old equipment for the new upgraded equipment...DirectTV wouldn't work anymore.

Of course I said, "ok...change it." What did I care... They made an appointment and the service guy came out and changed the dish ( I remember him saying something about chagning to a 3 wire...instead of a 2 wire...or something like that) and he changed the box for the same reason. Still...no big to me. It didn't seem out of the norm for a company to upgrade their equipment.

In the last week, I called them with the idea of cancelling service. I was told that I was "within contract" because I had upgraded my equipment last year and if I canceled...I would be charged a cancellation fee!!! I discovered that when they upgraded the equipment...they hid a 2-year extension or contract on me.

I recapped the situation and how they "DirectTV" had requested and told me I had to upgrade the equipment and that I had never requested it be done. NO MATTER...they denied any chance of removing this contract period from my account saying...you had the option of not upgrading the equipment...I loved that one!!!

The fool proof way of retaining customers...tell them they have to upgrade existing equipment (whether they need to or not) and hide or play down a contract extension when making the swap.

I told DirectTV this scenario...but really...did I have too? They did it to me...and how many others have enjoyed this same treatment.

DirectTV...NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER...sign up for their service.

I'm looking for any advice on who, what, when, where, and how to get this situation resolved. I want to part ways from these bandits...

Thanks for reading and I hope you have an answer to my problem.

Email me: [protected]@sbcglobal.net

• Do
    doris labeau Feb 16, 2009

I wonder how many others have a problem with directtv underhanded approach to a contract that was not mentioned at any time before hookup or at cancellation. Today I've called 4 times and have spent a total of 46 minutes on hold and then disconnected. I was never told about a contract when I "bundled ." I received a bill for 340.00 for a supposed early disconnect. These people are ripoff artists.You can never speak to anyone about the problem because they disconnect you. If anyone has heard about a class action lawsuit please let me know.

• Nm
    NM Consumer Feb 22, 2010

I had the same thing happen to me through signing up for DirecTV through Qwest. I was never told anything about the 340 Cancellation charges. They said they would bill my card on file. When I asked which one, they wouldn't tell me!

• Mo
    Moe in Fort Washington Mar 25, 2010

"If anyone has heard about a class action lawsuit please let me know."

No doubt that there are others similarly situated with less-than-full-disclosure contracts. I'm on the same hook.

I don't think this contract is binding because ... there was not a "meeting of the minds reduced to writing." Basic contract law.

I'm not a lawyer, but if there are others, I'm interested in such a suit. I too had returned their "upgrade unit" but was told that I'm on the hook anyway.

Moe in Fort Washington.

chastitymm3 Aug 31, 2010

They are liars who steal and cheat hard working citizens and tax payers out of their money. I will never recommend them to anyone I know. In fact I will discourage everyone I make contact with not to use them. I am in Sales and I would never have treated anyone the way I was treated. They are a disgrace to the entertainment industry.

• Ap
    aprettyfishy Sep 09, 2011

DirecTV is a bunch of thieves! I'm so displeased with their service that I canceled. Their contract was cheaper to pay to get out of ($300!) than to transfer my services twice (had to sublease while waiting to close on new house). I've called them FIVE times to send boxes to return their equipment.. and still haven't received them. I've tried 3 different addresses too, and still NO BOXES. Now they're they're charging me $575 for unreturned equipment - even though it's on them for not sending me the boxes to do so! Buttholes. And I'm not impatient.. this has been going on for 3 months!

marcus32 Sep 19, 2011

yes basically...if they 'upgrade' your equipment or you get a new 'box' they 'automatically' put you back in a 2 year contract--its amazing...without telling you b/c its written somewhere in the 'fine print' tho i doubt it and once u activate your 'new equipment' youre put back in the contract---its awful...they could care less...its just another way they scam and cheat their customers...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices