Direct TV / company won't fix their service without service charge

El Segundo, CA, United States Review updated:

I initiated service less than 6 months ago and have been very happy until the last week. My HDTV service has stopped working entirely (I don't know if it was related to the software download Directv uploaded, but it happened at around that time). Now Directv customer service people inform me that I have 2 choices: 1. pay $50 for someone to come out to fix your service, or 2. buy a warranty on THEIR equipment. Before I take either of those options, I will choice option 3. disconnect Directv service and go back to Comcast where I was never charged for service calls and where I was always credited back for time that service wasn't working perfectly (which I never had to ask them to do).

I did read accounts just like this online before getting their service and I didn't believe they could be true. Until this one bad experience, I had been very happy with their installation tech who was thoroughly professional and careful, happy with their excellent HD DVR (much better than Comcast's), and happy with the service. It just goes to show how far bad customer service and charges will get a company.

I will resort to reading and/or talking to my wife before paying their ridiculous fees.

Comments

Ci
  3rd of May, 2009
We got Directv HD in Jan. Less than 5 months later the receiver box freezes so we have to reset each time we turn on the TV, which takes about 5 minutes.
Continued calls to Directv led us no where. They told us to change cables, input etc. - basically anything except a problem with their equipment. We knew it was the box since we couldn't even manually turn it off once it froze.
Now they want payment for a defective box. We will also go to cable before we pay charges. Their scam is ridiculous. Their equipment has only a 90 day warranty and then you must purchase their protection plan.
Ki
  11th of Dec, 2009
Had same service and when I tried to cancel after they wouldn't look at the box without the $50 service charge, they told me there was a $400 cancellation fee since I was still in contract.

DirecTV Logo DirecTV