Direct TV / cancellation policy

1 CA, United States Review updated:

So I have been a DirecTV customer off and on since 1997 and loved their service and programming. Last April I went to a local Best Buy and purchased a DirecTV HD DVR and a DirecTV HD receiver and paid almost $400 for both. I took them home and installed them myself, called DirecTV to activate them and was told that they would like me to sign a 1 year agreement for service. I agreed as I was committed to their programming. A few months ago, I needed to cut back on some extra spending and called DirecTV and reduced my programming package. I asked the rep before I made any changes, that if I went through with it, would it affect my contract term date. He specifically told me that in no way would it affect it and that my contract was almost up (in April 2009).

Cut to now that I'm moving from my house and my new residence has a contract with another company. I called DirecTV to cancel service and I was told that the receivers that I purchased were a lease!!! How can they be a lease when I paid for them??? After being transferred to some idiot and then another, I finally gave in and told them I would ship them to where ever they asked.

I then spoke with someone else to cancel my service and to my surprise she told me that I was under contract and that I had 1 year left!!! I flipped out on her. I explained to her the series of events and I asked to speak with a supervisor. She told me that there was nothing that they could or would do and that I just needed to either pay the term fee or transfer the service. She said that a one year agreement is standard, however, if you sign up for a HD package you are automatically put on a 2 year agreement. How can this be?

I will never sign up for DirecTV service again, they just lost a long time customer and will bad mouth them to anyone and everyone that will listen.

On a side note I then called back and cancelled service at my parents house as well. I'll be damned if they get any more money from me. FYI, Uverse from AT&T is a much sharper picture and has better features and user interface.

Comments

• Re
      8th of May, 2009

You, yourself, said it all. You got the receivers at best buy HEY ### IT SAYS THAT THE RECEIVERS ARE LEASED ON THE BOX THEY CAME IN, and to top it all off you said you called to have them activated, HEY IDIOT LOOK AT THE ACCESS CARD THAT YOU, YOURSELF ACTIVATED it says by you agree to the directv terms and conditions by activating the equipment. WHAT THE HELL, REALLY WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO COMPLAIN, YOU FAILED TO READ THE ITEMS IN WHICH YOU ARE ACTIVATING, and now you are blaming the company FOR YOUR STUPIDITY???