Direct TV / very poor service and unacceptable contract

I have had direct TV now for about three months and have had one problem after another. I had initially switched from cable to DirectTV because I thought that their high definition service would be superior. Big mistake. Since the time of install I have been through 4 high definition receivers, each one failing for a different reason. When your service goes out with DirectTV your only option is to wait for a replacement box or for a service tech which in my case has taken close to a week each time. My service has been so spotty that I have had to retain my cable so that I have a backup. Talk about spending too much for T.V. service. Now that my experience with these buffoons has soured to the point it has i decided that i had had enough. Unfortunately their two year contract insulates them from having to provide any level of acceptable service at all. Even though my experience has been a nightmare and I have spent countless valuable hours trying to resolve issues they will not offer to terminate my contract no matter how many times I have requested this. I am currently without any service again and I have decided that I am going to bite the bullet and pay the termination fee. I am not litigious person but have considered taking these bullies to court. I can't imagine that I am the only person that has had these issues. I would avoid doing business with this company at all cost. I wish good luck to all those that are in the same boat as me.

Comments

• Br
      12th of Dec, 2007

The contract between customer and Direct TV is one sided. The contract agreed upon is a one sided binding contract which is illegal. If you have a contract that stats they have the right to increase fees for service over the two year contract then they have no right to charge you deactivation fee. The only way to make it a legal contract and not one sided is to offer to you that if they raise there fees you have the right to cancel with no deactivation fee. This complaint you have is a classic case of CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. They say in contract that if you continue to pay your bill you then agree to the new terms. So don't over look your monthly charges on your bill. They have this in the contract so they do not need to have verbal or written confirmation. One more thing they have in contract which is they use the words MAY BE. Just because they have got you signed up with them on a contract does not mean it is a legal contract if it's a one sided contract PERIOD. Anyone interested in CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?

FYI dish network does not have the NFL ticket. Direct TV has a Monopoly exclusive right to have NFL ticket. Another class action lawsuit. But very unlikely you would win in court regarding NFL ticket monopoly.

• Dr
      13th of Dec, 2007

Same deal with me, but better yet the account was not under my name. I paid for a Direct TV bill once for my friend that was in financial problem and bam his balance was deducted from my checking account a couple months later. WTF is that! Is there no Law? I called my bank to file a fraudulant charge on my account and filed a report to BBB and other reporting agency and I hope you all do the same.

To hell with Direct TV! ADD me to the Class Action. Even if Direct Tv/Banks credit your money back, dont back down. Theres other innocent people out there that dont know what to do when this hits them, its our duty to make a stand and watch each other backs!

• Br
      16th of Dec, 2007
    Direct TV - Misreprensentation!
    Direct TV

I had to cancel the Direct TV service because I was not satisfied with the service as the agents misrepresented me. I am giving the details of what actually happened. I called up Direct TV with a promotion number around last week of August and scheduled an appointment for installation. They took my order and credit card details and the price that was quoted to me was under $50. The installation folks came in on September 4th 2007. Instead of installing the order they have on the file, they started asking my wife what we wanted. The installation guy had no clue what I ordered nor did my wife. So they finally had to contact me. I questioned them why they were asking me as I have given those details earlier and told him to check my order as i was in a meeting. So the guy said he would contact the customer service and find it out by himself but it turned out they redid the order again to my surprise. I didn’t bother about it too much and I considered it as a process glitch.

On September 7th 2007 Friday evening, we got a call from the Direct Tv customer satisfaction team and were inquiring about how the service was. I told them exactly what happened and gave them positive feedback about the quality of the channels. But I was taken by surprise when they told me that my monthly charge was $80.77, when inquired. Since the monthly statement cost wasn’t the same what i agreed when I called them first time, I called up direct TV same day on September 07th 2007 Friday and found out that they were some extra’s that were added at the time of installation. And when I inquired about my promotion, the agent told that I didn’t qualify for it.

So I asked him why they didn’t let me know when I called up on the day one with the promotion number and charged my account everything at the regular price. I told them that I was motivated to call them because of the promotion and if I didn’t qualify for what I ordered, they should have made it clear to me at the time of the order so that I can make an informed decision on the day one itself. The agent agreed but said he couldn’t help it.

Since I couldn’t change what happened, I asked them what package I should go for to get that promotion. To my utter disbelief the agent told me that he can’t change anything for me. I had to be a new customer and didn’t consider me as a new customer and told me I was already a customer for them (5 days). Since the agent wasn’t cooperative, I asked him about the grace period for cancellation and found out it was 10 days. I canceled the order immediately hoping that I was in the grace limit.

Then later, I found out about the charge $299.46 on Sept 14th and called them up immediately. To my surprise, the agent told me that the grace period is 4 days. This case was a total misrepresentation from Direct TV. I was getting different answers form different agents every time I call them.

I wrote a complaint to Credit company and they got the money refunded back. And after few weeks, i got a statement from Direct TV asking me to pay the money directly. I am not going to pay it and wrote a complaint to Direct TV. Any suggestions where i should go from here!

• Ol
      16th of Dec, 2007

Please file your complaints with your state Attorney Generals Office, FTC and BBB. Also make sure you dispute any "unauthorized" charges with your bank.

Everytime DirecTV received a billing dispute (chargeback) they are charged $20-$40 per dispute by their bank. If 5% of their transactions result in chargebacks, their bank will have serious problems with DirecTV's billing practices.

Start sending your disputes, file your complaints and get a class action lawsuit going!

I'm sticking with DishNetwork, much cheaper n better service.

20th of Dec, 2007

The same thing happened to me,but I was charged for someone else's account. My name is not on the acct.They took $377.79 out of my bank acct.I caught it the first time before it cleared.I didn't know they would turn around and do this again.Here I am four days before christmas without $377.79 that I desperately need to pay my bills. Thank God! I already bought my kids presents. This is wrong and I dont see how this can be legal.I had used my debit card to purchase a ppv,thats how they recieved my acct#.Direct TV told me that the person should have told me that I would be responsible for they're past due balance,effective april,may.2007. and anyone's card # on file can be held responsible. This is WRONG!!! I will NEVER use direct TV and STRONGLY recomend KNOWONE use direct tV or pay anyone's bill buy credit card. This is still unresolved!!!

20th of Dec, 2007

I Think Everyone should take LEGAL ACTION!!!

• Ke
      26th of Dec, 2007

My husband and I are discusted with Direct TV! We had decided to switch from our previous carrier to Direct TV because of the good HD service we had heard about. My husband called them and had them come out and hook everything up. My husband even removed a huge tree limb so we would have a signal. The installer was here for three hours or better. Well, after everything was hooked up, the installer calls in to get the service and they tell us they cannot hook it up because of a woman that lived here before that has an outstanding balance of 138.00. It just so happens that she used to be married to my husbands brother, therefore they think that we are decieving them. Because we will not pay someone elses bill they will not give us service. Well after this we have decided to not use Direct TV! Simple, Right? Nope! I called to see if we could have somebody come pick up their equiptment and the Direct TV rep told me that unless I had the personal phone number for the guy that came out to install, that she couldn't have anyone else come out and pick it up! I am so furious with customer service! She tells us that we are stuck with the equiptment for 28 days before somebody will come pick it up and that we would have to get out previous carrier out here to hook back up what they unhooked to hook their epuiptment up! To add to this, they will not refund the money that we paid previous to hooking up all of equiptment totalling 299.00!!! We were told that we should get in touch with our financial institution about a refund! Oh my gosh never in my 15 yrs of being an adult have i ever been treated like this by any customer service!!! Unreal!

• Be
      27th of Dec, 2007

Right now i have to be neutral i haven't so far had a problem but i'm sure i will after hearing all of this i've only had direct 2 months if i had of known all of this i wouldn't have gotten directtv. I don't need no more problems in my life one thing i will do is tell anyone that's interested to check into it first.

If all of this is true something needs to done to people like this ripping people off. Yes i agree a lawyer needs to get in on this something needs to done you just can't take people money. One thing you can take to the bank "GOD SEES ALL AND HEARS ALL HE WILL TAKE CARE OF THE WRONG DEVILS" PRAY FOR THE WRONG THEY GET FAR .

29th of Dec, 2007

I was called by Directv to do a swap on my receivers due to a change in their upgraded HDTV lineup. I bought my receiver from Circuit City for $350.00. The technician took my receiver and left one of theirs. I told the tech that the receiver was one I purchased from a retailer. He told me that I own the new receiver. I was told to call and activate the box. When I called I was told that I am now leasing a receiver from Directv. I explained the discussion I had with the technician. I was informed that the technician was mistaken and the new receivers belong to Directv. Now they have told me that I have to return their receiver if I discontinue my service with them. So now they've absconded with my $350.00 receiver and are ALLOWING me to lease their receiver. I have repeatedly asked for my box back but have been told that I am out of luck. I asked for some type of compensatin for my receiver and was told that I could have Cinemax free for 3 months. Hardly fair compensation for a receiver that I initially paid $350.00 for. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was repeatedly rebuffed with the explanation that this was the highest level of support I could expect. I asked for a name and was given only a first name and no employee number. I asked for a Corporate Office phone or address and was not given any information. I was called back by a 'Supervisor' the next day and was told the same things (too bad). I advised that I was going to start recording the conversation so I could have something for my records and he refused to talk anymore and pretended that he couldn't hear me anymore. This was more comical considering the fact that I only picked up and put down another handset in the house to simulate that I was really recording the conversation.The level of service I received from them is nothing short of reprehensible. They are thieves.

30th of Dec, 2007
    Direct TV - Wrongly billed!
    direct tb
    delaware
    Phone: 13023787777

If you cancel direct cancel your bank card Too!!! We were customers of direct tv for years, but when our hd receiver went we went and bought a replacement. We paid full price so there would be no contract. now when we canceled because verizon fiberoptics was here which we had waited for and that is why we thought we were doing everything possible to not be under contract. We had even considered staying with direct, but they said they couldn't install the dish on our home unless my husband wanted to build a platform? So we told them we didn't want to go under contract if the new purchase made from a separate company put us under contract without our knowledge then we would take it back! The day I canceled there was no balance due and no contract according to direct. because I didn't trust them I canceled my bank card. Granted I am dealing with getting there collector to understand but They didn't get my money!

They did try to run it!

• Sc
      30th of Dec, 2007

Did you return their equipment? Sometimes they will charge for their equipment which is not good but that is what they may be charging you. Did you receive the bill? What were the charges for? It's kind of hard to say you don't owe the charges without finding what they are for, but I do agree with you to cancel your card if you think they were going to charge without your permission.

Pablo

30th of Dec, 2007

My directtv/HD service disappointed me very much. I have a $29.95 family plan and a $9.95 HD access plan for over 1 year. I was able to view about 10 HD channels between channel 70 and 90, but channel 70 to 78 are no longer available since December 2007.

DirectTV customer service explained my HD access plan only gave me 6 channels (three of them are 231, 276, 284, I don’t remember the rest) which are HD channels broadcasted in regular TV signal, so DIRECTTV had the right to cut off and “preview” HD channels between 70 and 90. If I want these channels back, I shall upgrade my plan and pay something like extra $76 a month.

Well, I was told I would get Discovery in HD (channel 76) when I signed the contract. Now DirectTV broke its promise but the two-year contract still holds. Guess what? I would rather paying the early termination fee and switching to another HDTV service provider than throwing $76 a month to DirectTV.

Junjun

• Me
      4th of Jan, 2008

OH MY GO_!
    I can't believe it! I have had all the same type of problems with DTV. I switched from a plain receiver to DVR. My daughter is working on getting into acting. She did several shows that I taped. One day the dtv completely wiped it out! I was stunned. This was a recording that can never be replaced as it was the first show that my daughter had been in.

After much complaining, I found out that there was a known "bug" in their receivers that they hoped would have been fixed by last summer. (They never told their customers that when you order). Similar to everyone else, they also offered me many " programming" credits because they wanted me to be satisfied. They also offered me a 2nd receiver at no charge so that I could have a back up of my recordings. Well, needless to say, they have continually charged me for a 2nd leased reciever fee of $4.99. Everytime I called to take the fee off, I was told that it wasn't really a lease fee but a mirror fee. Excuse me but my bill specifically says lease fee. The receiver that I had in my bedroom was one that I owned prior to them installing this "free" back-up. I also find it incredulous that you buy an advertised package for a fixed price and then they had on "lease fee" of 4.99, "service fee" of 5.99 and "protection plan" for 5.99. I believe their advertising is very misleading. When you see the ads for their service, the print on those fees is so tiny you can't even see it with glasses. I didn't want the protection plan by my machine was breaking down all the time and they said they would charge me to fix it. In the meantim, that are so generous to credit me $10 here and there for programming credit to make me happy, etc.

I also have had incredulous experiences with their customer service. I have had representatives from India (they told me that is where they were) where I could not understand them. I have been transferred to so called "supervisors" consistently, I have spoken to people who say they are the supervisor and they can help me only to find that they can't. When pressed, they finally admit that they aren't a supervisor but a "resolution specialist." I got so angry that I confronted the man about flat out lying to me. I dealt with them enough to know there are supervisors but I am consistently told there isn't anyone there to help me. When this guy said he was a supervisor with the power and he wasn't I confronted him about flat out lying to me. He tried to get around it but I just said to him "Did you or did you not tell me you are a supervisor?" Of course, when I wanted a supervisor I got the same run around but finally got one when I pushed. However, I can not tell you how many times I too am mysterially disconnected after spending hours on the phone. My phone has a timer on it and I can tell you that my call to them have ran as long as 3 hours!

They still haven't stopped my leasing fee. Then, I asked when my contract is up so that I could change services without a termination fee and they gave me a date that was 6 months past what I saw it was supposed to be. Well, not only did their machines breakdown all the time (and they still are as I just had someone out last week) but they extended my contract when they replaced my broken receiver!!!
    I was furious.

Of course, the supervisor couldn't do anything about it so I asked where am I supposed to mail a letter to. There was an address on the bill. I wrote a letter outlining my complaints. After being a paralegal for Legal Aid for many years I am well aware of documenting. Although I am disabled and not able to do paperwork like I used to I have records of almost all my contacts including dates, who I talked to and what transpired and believe me there are many.

Anyway, to make matters worse, I wrote up my complaint history and sent it to where I was told and to the address on the bill. GUESS WHAT??? I got a call from DTV by a "so-called supervisor" who proceeded to tell me once again that there is nothing they can do and I am still locked in to the extended contract they made when they needed to replace my broken receiver!!!!

In the meantime, I am trying to send the letter to another address I got (right now I can't find it) to try and get some satisfaction.

Although I feel bad for other people this happens to, I am glad to see that this is a pattern for them and I am not alone. Frankly, I have gotten so tired sitting on the phone for hours only to get people who claim they can do what they can't, to then get disconnected when they try to transfer to the supervisor they had just told wasn't there (changed their mind when I pushed). The stress has put me in tears many times and I haven't resent the letter yet because I am just feeling defeated and have to ask myself whether it is worth the stress and my health to keep doing it. If I were healthy, I would never, ever give up. As I said, I fought "city hall" for a living. One of the reasons I still try fighting is because I know that I am not the only one that these things are happening to and if I can get them to change a bad practice and let them know that we know, perhaps things would change. Wishful thinking, I guess.

By the way, one post said to send your complaint to Greenwood, CO address. That is the address I sent it to and got a call from someone who wasn't able to do anything. I wonder if you had better luck?

I really wonder how many of us are out there?

• Je
      7th of Jan, 2008

Same damn thing happened to me, except they took even more! I was told about the 3 days also and that was the only reason we did it. We even asked them when we called to cancel and they said we were all set, except for the $199 deposit for the HD box which at that point we were ticked off about because the rep never told us we wouldn't get the deposit back- later they said we didnt ask... This company is disgusting and I don't know how they get away with this- DO NOT EVER TRY DIRECT TV UNLESS YOU WANT CRAPPY SERVICE AND HAVE YOUR MONEY STOLEN!!! TRUST US!!

• Ed
      9th of Jan, 2008

GOOD GRIEF THERE SEEMS TO BE A PARADE OF US WITH A VARIETY OF PROBLEMS.

THEIR ENTIRE SYSTEM IS A CONVOLUTED MESS. THE PEOP-LE WE HAVE DEALT WITH HAVE BEEN ILL TRAINED, INCOMPETENT OR BOTH. THEY PROMISE THINGS THAT DON'T HAPPEN THEN TELL YOU SORRY TOUGH LUCK. IT WOULD REQUIRE FAR TOO MUCH TIME DETAIL THIS DISASTER.

I WAS WITH AN INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION FOR ALMOST THIRTY YEARS AND HAVE SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS COMPANY.

• Li
      12th of Jan, 2008

Direct Tv specifically instructs their reps to lie and misrepresent. They will not provide written proof of their quote. I wrote every detail down and reviewed my final price repeatedly. I scheduled installation. i called back 2 hours later and my monthly price had doubled. I was told that I had misunderstood. I cancelled installation. A manager did not attempt to disagree that we are being lied to in order to get us to hand over the credit card number.

15th of Jan, 2008

I was referred to Direct TV by my co-worker because of nuggin channel that they have for /babies/children. that was the worst decision I ever made, the technician who came to my home was very rude, he kicked my things around, broke my baby picture frame. went to the basement and open something in the wall and never closed them back. went to the guest bedroom and drop more picture frame on the floor, he didn't care, he just dropp something on the floor which was on my dresser. when i mention to him if her need anything to be moved just let me know, he ignored me. and sat on my couch taking off his jacket without asking me if if was k for him to sit there(this is my house, you are not my guess, you came to do a job) at that point i started to feel very uncomfortable and just wanted him to leave. so i told him to install the 3 boxes on the first floor because i didnt want himto go upstair in my bedroom. he bought to my house his friend and a 12 -13years old(the boy told me he was 16, but doesn't look ) who was installing the box. the day after which was october 8th, I went away and came back home on the 14th and one of the receiver was not working. so i called direct tv and told them that i needed the receiver to be move upstairs in my bedroom and want someone else to install it. (and I did complain the same way about the service that i received and the told me to call the consulting company which i didn't call in the first place to install my service, direct TV called them and they should be the one calling them back and telling them what had happen) anyway I called them , telling them the reason why I didn't want that box because of the way the installer was behaving i didn't want him in my house for much longer. they told that i have to pay $99 I told them that I want to cancel the services and mail them back their boxes, they said there will a charge of $350. that was 7 days ago that order the services. they had me on the phone for about 2 hours spoke to supervisors. and she told me that they can not do anything it was not their fault, i said the installer who came to my house reprensented direct tv if it was not for Direct tv they wouldnt be at my home. I keep going on so nothing was done. I WOULD ADVICE ANYONE THINKING ABOUT GETTING DIRECT TV DO NOT GET ITS A SCAM AND HEAD ACHE THEY JUST HIRED ANYONE FROM THE STREET AS CONTRACTORS.

• Lo
      16th of Jan, 2008
    Charge for cancellation
    Direct TV
    Rupert
    Idaho

WE had no service on 2 TV's for half a month. WE called and emailed countless times. Finally a customer service representative said that they had one of our satellites pointed to Puaerto Rico, he fixed that and our service was back on. However, they will not adjust our statement to reflect a credit for the time we were without their services, when it was clearly a mistake on the part of Direct TV.

• To
      21st of Jan, 2008

Direct TV needs to be put in their place. I don't have a clue how they get rated number 1 in customer service. I think it is time that former customers start sending chain e-mails out letting people know what is going on with Direct TV.

• Li
      21st of Jan, 2008

I have been trying to resolve a dispute with directtv but cannot find anyone to communicate with. I am going to file a complaint with the FCC and suggest that anyone with a complaint do the same. It has been helpful in getting disputes resolved with Sprint on a number of occasions. Don't give up!!!