Direct TV / unauthorized contract extension!

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with your company policy on contract renewal without informing the client of the policy. I had five receivers in my home with four new and one old left over from a previous contract ended 3 years ago. Recently, the old receiver lost the sound and your service people, after diagnosed the problem, agreed to send me a replacement without any condition. Your Rep even told me that since we are a long time good customer, they glad to replace without any charge.

I connected the replaced receiver a week ago, but it asked me to call for reactivation. I called and your customer service representative activated my receiver without informing me in advance that the activation will result in an extension of the contract for 18 months. I strongly dispute the deceiving practice of your people for the following reasons:

1. This is the replacement of a malfunction receiver. The activation should be a part of the repair. This is not a new activation; therefore, you should not force customer to renew the contract.
2. I was not informed and asked for approval of the contract extension before you proceed with the activation.
3. Should I be informed of the reactivation policy, I would never accept such ridiculous term.
4. I asked for the proof of my approval (recorder), they can not provide one.
5. I asked that my replaced receiver is disconnected and the contract extension is voided, but your representative arrogantly refused.

I asked that you cancel the unapproved contract extension for the previously listed reasons. I am a long time customer with Direct TV and I am very disappointed with such treatment. I hope that you will resolve this matter as soon as possible without involving the Attorney Office and the Federal Communication Agency.

Comments

• Cg
      20th of Sep, 2008

So how do we defend ourselves from these thives????

Please let us know because we must find our own loophold to these issues...

• Tu
      19th of Apr, 2010

We are people who lost our home along with wide screen TV (only had one) and still Direct TV would not let us out of their contract and continued to take money from our overdrawn account for a contract cancellation service fee.

When I called them Justin laughed and his supervisor refused to let me out of the contract no matter that I have no where to use the service or a TV to use it on. How can a company do business like that?

We had to close our bank account to keep them out of it. The Attorney General needs to look into Direct TV business dealings.

Tucson, Arizona