Direct TV / billing, false contract, raising monthly rate when signed a two yr. contract

Phone: 270-298-3355

I made the mistake of ordering Direct TV online. First they give you a caculator that gives you the exact amount (supposedly) on the site. Direct TV charged me above and beyond $30.00 more per month (the leasing of receivers, DVR, and taxes, etc.). Then I find out the contract on line was for two years. I thought anytime you get cable or Direct TV, etc. its month to month unless you get a special deal. I did this all in Sept. 2007. Then in March, 2008 Direct TV by way of "stuffing your billing statement" raised my monthly rate once again.

I want to terminate my contract with Direct TV due to fraudulent practices on billing, and intial contract stipulations. If there is anyone that has had this same problem please contact me via email. Maybe if enough people get together, someone in the consumer protection office will look into this and it will be corrected.

Comments

• Dt
      20th of Oct, 2008

They SUCK!!! I had the same issue. Quoted a special deal for $19.99 mo 155+ channels, the total would be $ 40.97. First bill came at $ 56.00. Then I call and they say we never had such a deal. The deal was for $ 29. 2yr contract and now for the past 6 mo. paying $ 70.95. Went from a $ 29 starting payment to now $ 50.00 Start. I call them about every 3 mo to fix these problems. They say they fix it then it seems like it gets worste.

• Ju
      8th of Apr, 2009

They do SUCK!!! Each person you talk to makes up a story to make you happy but then they put different charges and stuff on your account. They pushed our agreement forward for two more years when they told us that the box wouldn't cause it to be pushed forward. I would NEVER recommend anyone to get Direct TV...They just will take your money.

• Mi
      20th of Apr, 2009

Hi, i recently had a problem with direct tv. They lied to me when I joined and now if i want to stop service I need to pay! They didnt tell me I had to pay for something when I ordered direct tv and now I have to pay more for it! They dont care about customer service either, they wont work with you

• On
      27th of Oct, 2009

I agree with most of the reviews. AVOID THIS COMPANY. I am mailing in a payment for an invoice I received for $300.00. I am VERY UPSET about making this payment. I was a customer who never paid one payment late. I had to call them a couple of times because the box they gave me broke. They NEVER told me that everytime you call to activate a box your contract renews itself. BUNCH OF LIERS AND DECEITFUL PEOPLE. They are charging me for their crapy boxes that never worked. I am NEVER going to use this company again and I am on a mission to tell all of my friends, family and as many people as I can of how much this company cheats and lies to their customers.

BE CAREFUL AND DO NOT PURCHASE ANY SERVICES FROM THIS COMPANY.

1st of Dec, 2009

Worse Worse Worse Costmer service!!! complete idiots!!! overcharged over and over because of the idiots who answer the phone!!!

1st of Dec, 2009

NEVER CHOOSE DIRECT TV!!! I WISH THERE WERE SAME WAY TO GET THE "RECORDED PHONE CONVERSATIONS" TO PROVE I'VE BEEN CHARGED FOR THINGS I NEVER ASKED FOR!!!Theese people are out of control and should be stopped for stealing peoples money literally!!!

THEY SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!1

• Sh
      10th of Mar, 2010

What a sorry Cable company, they lie to you about everything. We were told we would have local news service. Again we get no local news. I'm just waiting for my contract to be up. If you are planning to buy this service, THINK. Then say no thanks.

• Jd
      9th of Jun, 2010

I just dumped DirecctTV last week for charging me TWICE of what we agreed to.

I went back to DISH. They have always been a good service. I had them in California and was very happy. When I dropped DirectTV
    and called DISH, They came the next day and hooked me up. I live in PA. now.

Thanks DISH.

• Jj
      25th of Jan, 2011

They suck big time! signed a 2 year contract for 39.99/mo...first months bill was 49.99...they tell me it's a new rule and they now charge $10/mo access fee!!! where did that come from you crooks! And they won't let me cancel without penalty. Can we file a joint complaint????

• Lt
      19th of Jun, 2011

They do suck. I called to negotiate keeping my current rate due to my personal economic issues after my bill doubled on my one year anniversary. I was approached by a competitor that was offering me a much lower rate than my interdictory rate. I decided to stay with Direct TV based on the agreement that they would keep me at my current rate. I was promised for 6 months. I was a fool for not switching! Every month after I have received a bill at the doubled rate and spend hours on the phone to have them remember and rectify my bill based on the promised rate. This is ridiculous customer service and I am feed up! I was even told that the better rates are given to new customers. What is up with that? What about your existing customers? Are they just there to screw over? It sure feels like it.

• St
      10th of Jul, 2011

Direct TV is horrible! They lied to me over the phone as well about a special offer. Then, when I called to complain to upper management, this guy yelled at me and told me I was a liar...can you believe that? The guy who was supposed to come over and install our equipment never showed, then they sent someone else who drilled holes all in our ceiling and made a complete mess - what a nightmare! We then got in contact with Dish Network, they came over and set everything up in less than an hour and we have been happy with them ever since. Stay away from Direct TV - don't waste your time with these fools!

• Fe
      30th of Sep, 2011

Everything you've all said is true. The service (both equipment and people) are horrible, and when we pulled out (after 3 weeks and multiple efforts to fix things), they charged is $465. Qwest, with whom the Direct TV service was packaged, was no help either - shame on them - which earned them a replacement as well.

This is not the end of my fight with them, but others should know. Avoid Direct TV!

• Je
      23rd of Feb, 2012

poor, poor, poor, unknowledgable customer service. All freakin Indians from a call center. Thank God I refused to sign a 2 year contract today. DIRECT TV should be called ''DIRECT FROM INDIA''' HI JESSICA! YOU SUCK!'

• Cu
      14th of Jun, 2013

I have had problem after problem with my three TV boxes (one is a DVR). I "reset" the boxes at least three times per week to keep them functional. My family has sat down to watch a movie or recorded show only to have to spend and hour or more on the phone with technical support to fix a problem (or by now I have had to do this so often I am able to fix it myself but it still takes 30-40 minutes of my off work family time to do this). I have had numerous technical people come up with numerous ways to fix our problems and yet we continue to have issues. At this point, planning to watch a recorded movie is stressful. You would think a company would reach out to a customer who had this many calls and offer to send out a technician (for free) but I was told at one point that there may be a charge associated if something is plugged in wrong or it's determined to be my problem (even though a Direct TV person did the original set up and all further adjustments were made to the best of my ability via instructions from Direct TV). I just canceled service and am paying the cancellation fee for the sake of my not having to deal with this anymore. GOOD RIDDANCE!!!