Direct TV / misleading phone sales

Phone: 800-284-7116

I looked on the Dish Network website to change my programming. The number listed was [protected]. I accidentally dialed [protected]. The phone was answered "Fun Dish." Thinking it was some kind of subcontractor, I provided all the information. Never once do I remember hearing "DirecTV" during the sales pitch. So the next day, I got a call to confirm my order. The lady said "DirecTV" and I said "hang on a minute, I don't want to change companies." She transferred me to another operator for cancellation. Yeah, I expected a new sales pitch. What I didn't expect, though, was the literal argument I got from the operator. I informed her I had friends who had bad experiences with DirecTV, and just wanted to cancel the order. I explained to her how I obtained the phone number "Yeah, we appreciate Dish Network putting our phone number on their website" was her sarcastic response, then she obliquely reminded me I would not be getting the $50 fee back-- "How do you like losing fifty bucks?" I told her that it didn't seem like I had much of a choice since she was unlikely to refund it. More arguments. Finally, I told her just to cancel the service and hung up.

Okay, I accept the mis-dial. But you can't tell me that DirecTV having the exact same 7 digits as Dish Network is just coincidence. What a scam. For a company that claims to have a better product and better service, they seem like a bunch of scam artists and loophole worms to me.

And as to the $50?? Well, they checked the validity of my credit card to two "pending charges" of $25 each, so that shows up on my credit card statement as well as the $50. What a joke.

Comments

• Su
      29th of Aug, 2008

The problem here is not Direct TV. It is FUN DISH. They claimed they were an agent for Direct TV, sold me a package exactly like the current Dish TV promotion and charged me $49.99 for equipment and installation. When the installation didn't take place as planned, I called Direct TV only to find that they had no such transaction in their records.

Apparently some retailers represent a number of satellite services. When I called to arrange a repair with my supplier, Dish Net, I was told that I would be better off to switch to Direct TV than to pay for Dish Net's repair. However, I was NOT signed to Direct TV. I was scammed off to Fun Dish.

After about 8 hours on the phone, I think I have it resolved. Eight hours for that $49.99...and my self-respect.

• Jr
      6th of Nov, 2008

Same thing happen to me. I have Dish Network and wanted to upgrade my package and dial 1800-284-7116 instead of 1888-284-7116 and I got Fun Dish which never said they were Direct TV. After I called Dish Network I was told that they had no records of an upgrade and I should call the 1-800 number and find out what's going on. I found it funny that I received a Dish delivered by UPS that had on it Direct TV that's when I knew something was not right. I called Fun Dish and explained that I was mislead by the phone number and they were not nice. I canceled and was told that I would lose my 29.99 for shipping and handling but I don't care they can keep it. The people at Dish Network are nicer and offered my an upgrade for about the same money but no DVR. So, what. I staying with Dish Network. When I got home all the channels I wanted were already active. Something should be done about that phone number when two companies and the same number but one is 1-888 and the other 1-800. This doesn't smell right.

• It
      5th of Apr, 2010

it was your fault you didn't pay attention to what number you were dialing! it was also your fault for giving up any personal information before you found out WHO you were giving it to! and it was also your fault you didn't take the time listen to what the person on the other end of the line said. there is nothing illegal about this number - and good for dish 1-up/fun dish. the did what it took to fight calm and get the sale!