Direct TV / unfair business practice

Where to begin...?

I had direct tv several years ago. They were ok, but I had to cancel service for reasons not related to direct tv.

Then, I got high def, and direct tv called me in 2006 and offered a deal: the new hr20 hd dvr system at a reduced price of $250 (Half price from the $500 purchase price). Ok, I signed up.

Problems began almost immediately. Color of picture would go green, system would freeze while recording or playback, etc., etc. Had to reset system every time. Direct tv replaced, three times, by mail.

This last time, they told me: you own the system, so you either have to pay a $79 fee for a technician to come to your home, or buy the extended protection plan. So I bought, technician came to my home, and dropped off a unit I had to plug in myself. Ok, it is working fine.

But, here is the problem. Now direct tv contends that if I cancel, I have to send this box back as it is a "rental". So, think twice before going with direct tv. According to them, the $250 price I paid was for the "privelege of renting; everyone pays it" (So it is now unclear why it was a special deal). When I called to inquire, I too was placed on hold so they could "research". I waited 36 minutes the first time, and 25 minutes the second time, before hanging up and going with email.

According to direct tv, the $250 "purchase" price was really a rental fee, so I am renting, but, I am also responsible if the box fails or is otherwise defective, and I have to pay for a new box, or repairs, if the box starts acting up. Go elsewhere, its not worth it.

Comments

28th of Jul, 2008

I was told I could operate my DVR from another room, same as dishnetwork. That was a lie by direct tv. 3 days later I found this out and called to cancel which of course they would not allow me to. That is when I had found out I had a two year contract. I was told it was a one year contract. They are just a rip off. Dish network is so much better.