Direct TV / unfair business practice
Where to begin...?
I had direct tv several years ago. They were ok, but I had to cancel service for reasons not related to direct tv.
Then, I got high def, and direct tv called me in 2006 and offered a deal: the new hr20 hd dvr system at a reduced price of $250 (Half price from the $500 purchase price). Ok, I signed up.
Problems began almost immediately. Color of picture would go green, system would freeze while recording or playback, etc., etc. Had to reset system every time. Direct tv replaced, three times, by mail.
This last time, they told me: you own the system, so you either have to pay a $79 fee for a technician to come to your home, or buy the extended protection plan. So I bought, technician came to my home, and dropped off a unit I had to plug in myself. Ok, it is working fine.
But, here is the problem. Now direct tv contends that if I cancel, I have to send this box back as it is a "rental". So, think twice before going with direct tv. According to them, the $250 price I paid was for the "privelege of renting; everyone pays it" (So it is now unclear why it was a special deal). When I called to inquire, I too was placed on hold so they could "research". I waited 36 minutes the first time, and 25 minutes the second time, before hanging up and going with email.
According to direct tv, the $250 "purchase" price was really a rental fee, so I am renting, but, I am also responsible if the box fails or is otherwise defective, and I have to pay for a new box, or repairs, if the box starts acting up. Go elsewhere, its not worth it.
More Direct TV Complaints & Reviews
- AT&T / Direc TV Bundle My Services - overcharged 
- Direct TV - stay away - direct tv sucks! 
- Direct TV - very poor service and unacceptable contract 
- Direc TV & Costco - terrible experience! 
- Direct TV - prepaid visa card promotion 
- DirecTV - relocating my system to another room 
- DirecTV - discounts 
- DirecTV - pathetic service on maintenance and service calls poor customer service!!! 
- DirecTV - deceptive business practices 
- DirectTV - directv policy