Direct TV / early termination fees
On 4/15/07 I purchased an hdtv at best buy, the salesperson said they were having a promo on direct-tv. I explained I was already a directv customer. The sales rep said I could just buy the hd service and add it to my existing service and that best buy would do it as part of my installation. I paid $99.00 for the hd receiver and the best buy installation guys came over and performed the install. At no point in time did I ever speak to direct-tv to have the receiver activated. The best buy installation guys did all the talking.
After three months of billing issues I decided I no longer wanted to be with direct-tv and requested cancellation of my service. I was told that I could not cancel as I was committed to a two year contract. I ask the customer service rep to verify when I agreed to those terms and they claim it was automatic when I signed up for the hd service, problem is I never signed anything or agreed to an extension of service. I never even talked to direct-tv.
They claim that when I had the receiver installed I signed the agreement. When I looked at my best buy receipt there is no mention of such agreement matter of fact theres no mention of direct-tv. Then the representative claimed I verbally agreed when they performed the install. Again I never spoke to anyone at direct-tv. The best buy installer did all the talking with direct-tv.
I dont understand how they get away with these deceptive practices and there is little or nothing out there to protect the consumer from such scams. I hope direct-tv goes under when iptv becomes available nationwide. I am currently disputing this with allied interstate a collection agency (Direct-tv).
More Direct TV Complaints & Reviews
- AT&T / Direc TV Bundle My Services - overcharged 
- Direct TV - stay away - direct tv sucks! 
- Direct TV - very poor service and unacceptable contract 
- Direc TV & Costco - terrible experience! 
- Direct TV - prepaid visa card promotion 
- Direct TV - cable satellite 
- DirecTV - at&t internet & bundled promotions with directv
- DirecTV - early termination fee of $139.12 as of feb/18. this was because of upgrade to 4k 
- DirecTV - new directv menu is awful 
- DirecTV - my installation