Direct TV / equipment lease fraud
I was a Direct TV user for over 13 years and never had trouble with my equipment. I upgraded to High-Def and had to "lease" new equipment, both a High-Def receiver and a Standard-Def receiver. 9 months later, the Standard-Def receiver would not power on.
After being on hold off and on, I was finally informed Direct TV would replace my receiver - for a $19.95 handling fee. I informed them why should I pay to replace a piece of equipment that I did not own, that I was leasing - is that not what the monthly lease fee covers? I asked to speak with a supervisor and was put on hold for several more minutes. The original person came back on the line (no supervisor) and informed me they could waive the $19.95 handling fee if I purchased an extended warranty - On Leased Equipment!!!
So I asked if they were refusing to replace my 9 month old receiver. They informed me I have to pay the handling fee. I informed them they broke the contract and also technically broke a the lease agreement for the equipment. I cancelled my service and now they want me to pay a cancellation fee.
I strongly feel it is time to stand up to these companies and their cancellation fees. They can provide lousy, or no service, and still get us to pay to leave. I will join in on any class action.
More Direct TV Complaints & Reviews
- AT&T / Direc TV Bundle My Services - overcharged 
- Direct TV - stay away - direct tv sucks! 
- Direct TV - very poor service and unacceptable contract 
- Direc TV & Costco - terrible experience! 
- Direct TV - prepaid visa card promotion 
- DirecTV - Genie Replacement
- Direct TV - customer retention sucks
- DirecTV - customer service
- DirecTV - cancelled upgrade appointment and didn't notify us.
- DirecTV - billing wrong amount